• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney acquiring LucasFilm for 4.05 billion dollars

Status
Not open for further replies.

megamerican

It was a smart move by Lucas to cash out now. You could sense the property was seriously starting to wane.

And the best thing for the franchise would be getting it away from Lucas.

I think it's a good move for all involved, just slightly concerning with how IP Disney now owns. Staggering almost.

Anno

Bob Iger is a crazy man or a crazy genius. It's worked out really well for the Marvel properties, guess we'll see how it does here. I'm certainly rooting for it.

xenist

Take a breath and just think about all the IP Disney owns right now. Think about it. We are Tokyo residents first seeing Godzilla walking into the place. This is fucking huge.

alphaNoid

Banned
And suddenly a slew of incessant bitching on facebook about 'raped childhoods,' like clockwork.

Childhoods were raped with EP1-3. Disney can't possibly do any worse.. so I'll take it. Plus I"m a big Disney fan.. I go to Dland like 100+ times a year.
fml

Disney could create their own Smash Bros clone with the literally hundreds of characters they now own.

(to be honest, they could before)

Hopefully they just shitcan Lucasarts as a publisher and have their gaming division take over duties in 1313. And let Telltale make more Monkey Island.

Mr. F

Banned
Childhoods were raped with EP1-3. Disney can't possibly do any worse.. so I'll take it. Plus I"m a big Disney fan.. I go to Dland like 100+ times a year.
fml

That's the way I feel as well. It's just a personal pet peeve seeing that phrase as the de facto knee-jerk reaction to anything online that has to do with rebooting or continuing old franchises.

DarkFlow

Banned
I think Lucas just wanted out. And who isn't going to scoff at $2 billion dollars in cash.

He's been talking retirement for a while now.
I don't think it was about the money really. Yeah it's nice to have for him but I think he just wanted a good home for his baby like he said.

FLAguy954

It's like Lucas can never escape the draw of Disney:

-In the 80s, he sold Pixar to Steve Jobs to pony up some money for a divorce
-Pixar later works with Disney to make Toy Story
-Lucas Films make countless movies until recently where the eventually are acquired by Disney

Makonero

Man...Disney is like a black hole. It just keeps sucking in new companies. Crazy.

MV5BMTcxNjgyMjg2N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTE3NTYyMQ@@._V1._SY317_CR4,0,214,317_.jpg
?

sarcastor

Star Wars 7: The Curse of the Grand Admiral Thrawn

from the director of the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy

I figured if he made disney 3 bilion dollars with a lame ride from disney, imagine how much money he would made with a beloved scifi franchise!

and imagine how badly the movies would suck

smurfx

get some go again
i think disney at this point would probably take better care of the star wars brand than lucas will.

Nizz

Been about an hour or two yet I'm still shocked by this news. Honestly, this has been probably the most excited I've been for news relating to Star Wars that I've been in a long time.

There's so much potential here for a new Star Wars movie with new blood working on it. There has to be all sorts of writers and directors drooling with ideas for a new film.

And now technically ILM can be the Marvel movie's in-house effects studio right? I know ILM lost the chance to work on Iron Man 3 but after that ILM can do the work from now till forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom