• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney acquiring LucasFilm for 4.05 billion dollars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Does this mean Disney now holds full creative control over Star Wars? Or are we going to continually be plagued with Lucas installments?

I believe they hold final say. Lucas is acting as a creative consultant but thats more likley to be just a stepping stone to retirement.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I hope they don't feel the need to do any more pre/mid/side-quels with this. I would love them to just start something years after the original trilogy ends. No Vader, no Luke, no Han, no Death Star; time to create some new characters/locations/bad guys. Sure, throw a bone every now and then (visit Tattooine, mention the old bad guys in passing), but we've had 30 years of the same stuff told in different ways, lets try something new!

If Disney is really going to call them Episodes 7, 8, and 9, then you can bet they'll be connected to the previous films in a big way.

koryuken

New movies based on Lucas's treatments, but Kathleen Kennedy is calling the shots.

The director rumor mill for this is going to be huge.

Get Nolan to do a gritty, realistic Star Wars... Han Solo is a recovering alcoholic smuggler trying to make ends meet.

koryuken

New movies based on Lucas's treatments, but Kathleen Kennedy is calling the shots.

The director rumor mill for this is going to be huge.

Or maybe Gore Verbinski, the director of Pirates of the Caribbean. A rambunctious adventure full of funnies, twists, and spectacles !

ElRenoRaven

You know what this means right?

HOWARD THE DUCK MOVIE/RIDE/TVSHOW/DISNEY XD STUFF.

My body is ready.

I'd be fine with that. Course I loved the cheese that was the movie. More so because it stared Lea Thompson. I had such a crush on her when I was young.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Depends on if Lucas was telling the truth about the negatives being destroyed or not.

Again, it doesn't matter.
Most of my Cinefex collection is boxed up and inaccessible at the moment, but in issue #69, I could swear they talk about having the original effects elements available in the archives. Specifically, they redid the compositing for a bunch of problem shots (background plates visible through foreground elements, matte lines, etc.)in the Hoth sequence of The Empire Strikes Back.

Who woulda thought Old Uncle Walt's company would grow to swallow everyone else up?
Also, Star Tours kinda forshadowed this.

Kinda, but it's decades old. I know they revamped it recently (in the US, at least - that hasn't gotten to Paris yet) but the ride has been there yonks.

eXistor

I'm long past caring about Star Wars (that horse has been beaten to a bloody pulp by now), but if anything, it may be in good hands with Disney and Lucas is done with SW right?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Kinda, but it's decades old. I know they revamped it recently (in the US, at least - that hasn't gotten to Paris yet) but the ride has been there yonks.

Star Tours is just fine when I went before the revamp. It's still one of the best attractions on the lot along with the muppets.

WAIT A MINUTE. DISNEY OWNS MUPPETS. DISNEY OWNS MARVEL. DISNEY OWNS STAR WARS.

MUPPET BABY DVDS FINALLY!

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Star Tours is just fine when I went before the revamp. It's still one of the best attractions on the lot along with the muppets.

Why would Muppet Babies DVDs be held up because of Lucasfilm? You don't need permission to do parodies.

Spielberg always wanted to direct a Star Wars film and Lucas would have gladly let him take the shots in the prequels, but unfortunately Spielberg was part of the Director's Guild.

The sequel trilogy won't be indy. Problem solved.

Sure is, I just mean I'm not sure of how much of a "foreshadowing" event an attraction built in 1987 has on a deal done 25 years later in 2012.

Replicant

Kingdom Hearts will now have Anakin Skywalker on its roster. I'm not sure who I feel sorry for: Star Wars fans or Kingdom Hearts fans.

Ferrio

Banned
Starwars.jpg

It will return.

Dai101

Banned
So now he has the time to personally going in the hunt of every tape/dvd/whatever of the Star Wars Holiday Special??

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Kingdom Hearts will now have Anakin Skywalker on its roster. I'm not sure who I feel sorry for: Star Wars fans or Kingdom Hearts fans.

Feel sorry for Square, because that'll just be another thing fans expect them to put in that they won't put in or will spend too much time trying to put it in with 3. Along with a Spider-Man companion.

TAJ

They used outside footage with their parodies.

Ah, I haven't seen the show since its first run. They still can't release it then.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Man, I've been rewatching a bunch of Disney 'classics' that I barely remember so I can look at them fondly and all that, and now I'm just going to end up watching Star Wars all week.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
It's going to be so fucked up watching a Star Wars movie without the 20th Century Fox fanfare in front of it.

BFIB

Does Lucasfilm have a lot of debt? If not, $4 billion seems like a pittance.

I think Lucas just wanted out. And who isn't going to scoff at $2 billion dollars in cash.

He's been talking retirement for a while now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom