• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drinky Puppy colored dancing bananas thread(40/40 lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Angelus said:
So in other words its like playing those god awful Sega CD fmv games from the early 90's? Ok,got it.:/

Let's all go play SewerShark and Night Trap:)

half naked sitcom star running around in postage stamp sized video does not equal puffy 3d dogs that you can pat and play with :p

aku:jiki

temp said:
I know there isn't a lot to do, but there's something. So there's interactivity; interactivity you derive entertainment from. I think that fits the mold.
This is true, of course, but I think it should take a little more than the most basic type of interactivity to be labeled as an actual game. I mean, there are these little virtual desktop pets for your PC (as I'm sure everyone knows). You can click them and make them react and stuff. Am I playing with them? Yes. Am I playing a game when I do so? No. There are no rules, there is no purpose, no nothing. I'm just playing with non-existant pets.

Hence, I feel Nintendogs is quite clearly a toy, but definitely not a game.

jull said:
but i know linux isn't
Of course not, I was just shooting a hole in your argument. :D

Ollie Pooch

aku:jiki said:

hahah :p

i think this one kinda nudges over into the 'entertainment' bracket.. let's just say they review electronic entertainment :D

ziran

what makes a game a game, and a non-game a non-game? surely anything played on a console is a kind of game.

is the anger directed at the score or at it being reviewed as a game? because people are saying 'it's not a game', then arguing with the score. but by arguing with the score surely you're accepting it's a game?

very confusing.

whatever nintendogs is, it's brilliant, and i love playing it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
This is true, of course, but I think it should take a little more than the most basic type of interactivity to be labeled as an actual game. I mean, there are these little virtual desktop pets for your PC (as I'm sure everyone knows). You can click them and make them react and stuff. Am I playing with them? Yes. Am I playing a game when I do so? No. There are no rules, there is no purpose, no nothing. I'm just playing with non-existant pets.

Hence, I feel Nintendogs is quite clearly a toy, but definitely not a game.

Anything interactive you can derive amusement from can qualify as a game. Yeah, even virtual pets. Rules, imposed goals etc. are not a prerequisite. Look it up in a dictionary. It's as simple as that, case closed.

_Angelus_

Banned
julls said:
half naked sitcom star running around in postage stamp sized video does not equal puffy 3d dogs that you can pat and play with :p

No, but its probably got better gameplay within it though;)

I kid I kid,please don't take my digging seriously. I still say PSP Ridge Racer deserves a 40 though,wtf is up with these reviewers?

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
A game featuring dogs you play with...if that's not considered a game, imagine what a similar game featuring cats would be like...

"Come here kitty kitty kitty...look, I bought a new toy just for you! :)" *waves toy around*
*cat looks at you for a while then walks away to pee in a corner*
":("

gofreak said:
Anything interactive you can derive amusement from can qualify as a game. Yeah, even virtual pets. Rules, imposed goals etc.

I disagree. There's definitely a difference between a "game" and a "toy." A "game" implies competition and the possibility of "winning."

I would argue Nintendogs is a "videogame," because of its platform. But it's not a "game."

VERY SERIOUSLY HERE:

There's a long-standing Windows series called "Dogz" that lets you care for and raise virtual pets. Here's a link to the latest.

As you can see, Dogz 5 has far more minigames, settings, features, dog types, and general "stuff" than Nintendogs. It also came out in 2001, and is available in a compilation with Catz 5 for $19.99. I would honestly like for someone to explain to me why Nintendogs is better/different than this piece of Windows mass-market software that's been around for almost half a decade.

Ollie Pooch

Angelus said:
No, but its probably got better gameplay within it though;)

I kid I kid,please don't take my digging seriously. I still say PSP Ridge Racer deserves a 40 though,wtf is up with these reviewers?

yeah, i think a 40 is a little excessive too... but i guess they deem it perfection in the genre of stylus induced puppy simulator / games :p

Okay with a game you play it.....NO?

With Nintendogs you play....NO?

You have objectives, money making, competitions, different homes, various characters to interact with.

AT the end of the day you PLAY it as you do with a game.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
JackFrost2012 said:
A "game" implies competition and the possibility of "winning."

Completely disagree. Not requirements. Most games are defined by competition, but don't confuse that as a requirement.

tetsuoxb

Something is seriously wrong when a limited puppy simulator gets a perfect score from a magazine that, up until now, held the 40 as its last sliver of respectability.

You should all be ashamed of yourselves applauding this score. JackFrost is right... it is a completely braindead score. However, since the hacking, Nintendogs has been some sort of cause celebre where you had to have some sort of obsession with virtually fucking your nintendog in some ridiculous protest towards drinky.

Go read the drinky puppy blog.... FOR FUCKS SAKE PEOPLE. I want you to read it and tell me that this game deserves a score that Metal Gear Solid 3, Biohazard 4, etc. all failed to bag. Read the blog and tell me that Nintendogs is equal in quality to previous 40s like Zelda, Soul Calibur, etc.

If you honestly agree with this score, you can happily claim membership in a club comprised of the dumbest motherfuckers on the planet.

Nintendogs is a mid 30s game.

Ash Housewares

The Mountain Jew
Kiriku said:
A game featuring dogs you play with...if that's not considered a game, imagine what a similar game featuring cats would be like...

"Come here kitty kitty kitty... :)" *waves toy around*
*cat looks at you for a while then walks away to pee in a corner*
":("

the dogs are the winning edge

cats wouldn't work, what would you even call it?

nintencats?
secats?
THCats?

Yeah so, I can say, hey a reality TV show isn't a TV show, it's some new kind of medium, because there's no plot, no actors, no scripted storyline, etc. etc. etc. but no one would buy that argument.

You sit down and watch it and are entertained by it.

_Angelus_

Banned
julls said:
yeah, i think a 40 is a little excessive too... but i guess they deem it perfection in the genre of stylus induced puppy simulator / games :p

Up next-we need a game where the stylus is used to arouse a vagina.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
tetsuoxb said:
You should all be ashamed of yourselves applauding this score. JackFrost is right... it is a completely braindead score. However, since the hacking, Nintendogs has been some sort of cause celebre where you had to have some sort of obsession with virtually fucking your nintendog in some ridiculous protest towards drinky.

Go read the drinky puppy blog.... FOR FUCKS SAKE PEOPLE. I want you to read it and tell me that this game deserves a score that Metal Gear Solid 3, Biohazard 4, etc. all failed to bag. Read the blog and tell me that Nintendogs is equal in quality to previous 40s like Zelda, Soul Calibur, etc.

If you honestly agree with this score, you can happily claim membership in a club comprised of the dumbest motherfuckers on the planet.

It's not about agreeing with this score, at least as far as I'm concerned. It's about agreeing with their right to have their opinion and for Jackfrost et al to have theirs. Who's right, who's wrong? I don't know. I might buy the game and find out.

soundwave05 said:
Yeah so, I can say, hey a reality TV show isn't a TV show, it's some new kind of medium, because there's no plot, no actors, no scripted storyline, etc. etc. etc. but no one would buy that argument.

Actually many people do consider it different which is why reality shows are so hated by many who simply prefer scripted shows.

SolidSnakex said:
Actually many people do consider it different which is why reality shows are so hated by many who simply prefer scripted shows.

Yeah, but no one is stupid enough to say "well this isn't a TV show at all".

It is still considered a TV show, just a different kind of show or a different genre.

gofreak said:
Completely disagree. Not requirements. Most games are defined by competition, but don't confuse that as a requirement.

Um ... do you know what "game theory" is? A game without competition is not a "game." It's something else entirely.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
SolidSnakex said:

Yeah, but no one would question that it's a television show.

I'm amazed how people rail against this. If you don't like the game, that's fine. If you don't like the type of game that it is, that's fine. What, is this the first time people have come across a type of game they don't like? Is that why it seems to disturb people so much? It's ok not to like whole subsets of games. Some people don't like RPGs, some people don't like strategy games, some people don't like FPSes. In the same way, it's OK not to like puppy games - no need to turn it into a big industry question and debate it's validity.

Ash Housewares

The Mountain Jew
JackFrost2012 said:
Um ... do you know what "game theory" is? A game without competition is not a "game." It's something else entirely.

what you need is a puppy game where you can kill some nazis or zombies or nazi zombies, that's sequel talk, let's just be happy with the perfect game we have now

Inumaru

tetsuoxb said:
Something is seriously wrong when a limited puppy simulator gets a perfect score from a magazine that, up until now, held the 40 as its last sliver of respectability.

Nintendogs is a mid 30s game.

I normally don't do this, but...very well said.^

I even think it looks cute, fun, creative, but...Christ, 40/40 is fucking unbelievable from this publication. Sort of a kick in the nuts to the developers of the aforementioned truly great games. :(

Edit: It seems to me the issue of the score is far more important than the issue of whether or not this qualifies as a "game".

aku:jiki

SolidSnakex said:
And actually, reality shows quite clearly have characters and plots. It's not just 10 guys sitting around quietly in a room, now is it?

tetsuoxb

gofreak said:
Yeah, but no one would question that it's a television show.

I'm amazed how people rail against this. If you don't like the game, that's fine. If you don't like the type of game that it is, that's fine. What, is this the first time people have come across a type of game they don't like? Is that why it seems to disturb people so much? It's ok not to like whole subsets of games. Some people don't like RPGs, some people don't like strategy games, some people don't like FPSes. In the same way, it's OK not to like puppy games - no need to turn it into a big industry question.

JackFrost isnt saying you cant like Nintendogs. He is saying "communication games" as a genre are not really games. I do not disagree with him.

The greater issue is that FAMITSU NEEDS TO DIE.

And actually, reality shows quite clearly have characters and plots. It's not just 10 guys sitting around quietly in a room, now is it?

To finish the metaphor, no one is arguing that reality shows aren't television. They're arguing they're not sitcoms.

Nintendogs isn't a "sandbox game." A sandbox game would let you build sandcastles. All Nintendogs lets you do is poke sand.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
JackFrost2012 said:

Game theory is a mathematical model - it doesn't provide the definition of "game". It relates to competitive games, it doesn't tie all games to being competitive. Game Theory does not define "game".

tetsuoxb said:
JackFrost isnt saying you cant like Nintendogs

I understand that totally, my latter point wasn't aimed at JackFrost specifically.

If Jessica Simpson going to the dentist or talking about chicken and tuna on the couch is a "plot" then throwing a frisbee to a virtual dog is a video game.

Ollie Pooch

JackFrost2012 said:

ok - you forced me
HELLO DICTIONARY!

game1 Audio pronunciation of "game" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (gm)
n.

An activity providing entertainment or amusement; a pastime: party games; word games.

counting VW bugs as you drive in the back of a car as a kid is a game.
me jerking off could be a game.
nintendogs is , by definition, a game

PLEASE no more arguign about whether this is a game or not - it's been done to death :p

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Every argument I presented about Animal Crossing not being a game applies in parallel to Nintendogs.

Nintendogs gives you a bunch of stuff to do, and happens to rank your stats. Fine.

Is there any skill being tested for you to perform the games tasks?
Are the only things preventing the completion of goals time or physical impairment?
Is there any seperation of ability or skill between two people, one who's used the "game" for a year and one who's never touched it?
Can someone "play Nintendogs" better than someone else?
I believe the answers to all of these questions are "no" and hence makes Nintendogs Not A Game.

Inumaru

julls said:
ok - you forced me
HELLO DICTIONARY!

game1 Audio pronunciation of "game" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (gm)
n.

An activity providing entertainment or amusement; a pastime: party games; word games.

Wow, that took a lot longer than I expected. :lol

Semantics and videogames make strange bedfellows.

julls said:

Please tell me one party game or word game without competition? Even with something like Spin the Bottle, there are winners (those who kiss) and losers (those who sit the round out).

You also conveniently left off the next dozen competition-related definitions. :p

Ash Housewares

The Mountain Jew
dog$ said:
Every argument I presented about Animal Crossing not being a game applies in parallel to Nintendogs.

Nintendogs gives you a bunch of stuff to do, and happens to rank your stats. Fine.

Are the only things preventing the completion of goals time or physical impairment?
Is there any seperation of ability or skill between two people, one who's used the "game" for a year and one who's never touched it?
I believe the answers to all of these questions are "no" and hence makes Nintendogs Not A Game.

animal crossing has an object, acquire NES games->play NES games and some other shit about decorating, plus you catch fish

Ollie Pooch

JackFrost2012 said:
Please tell me one party game or word game without competition? Even with something like Spin the Bottle, there are winners (those who kiss) and losers (those who sit the round out).

not if the other people playing have bees in their mouths!

You also conveniently left off the next dozen competition-related definitions. :p

yeah but they don't automatically mean the first one doesnt count!
hahaha.. i don't even really care that much, i'm bored and waiting to go on a long drive to a cafe far far away with some friends :p

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
dog$ said:

Technically none of these things are required to make something a game.

You're looking at games through the lens that's been defined by generations of videogames up to now. But being literal, "game" means so much more than that.

JackFrost2012 said:
Please tell me one party game or word game without competition?

Crosswords. Most word games have no competition.

The presence of many competition-related definition only expresses the truth that most games are competitive, as I said earlier. But it's not an absolute requirement. The first definition is the common denominator.

The "point" of the game is to train your dog isn't it?

To make it do various different tricks and respond to your commands, right?

Then you can take the dog into competetions in the game, right?

The more you play, the better trained your dog becomes, right?

I mean its not like you do nothing with the dog.

So to me, its still a game, just like a reality TV show is still considered a TV show.

MaddenNFL64

My Dawgz!

I still don't even get what it's about. I'm not going to look up anything though. Just going to get it, and see what it's all about. I need more DS games anyway :p.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Sorry, but I don't consider breathing, eating, folding clothes, pissing, shitting, showering, counting, farting, burping, fucking, blinking, sneezing, grooming, walking, counting, singing, talking and a billion other things that I do in my life which present no measurable challenge to accomplish as A Game.

Hence, neither Animal Crossing or Nintendogs.

gofreak said:
responded below...

pilonv1

JackFrost2012 said:
Nintendogs isn't a "sandbox game." A sandbox game would let you build sandcastles. All Nintendogs lets you do is poke sand.

:lol :lol

As you said where was all this praise before with Dogz 1-5? It's the same thing with less features. Some of you would buy and empty box with a Nintendo logo on it.

gofreak said:

The presence of many competition-related definition only expresses the truth that most games are competitive, as I said earlier. But it's not an absolute requirement. The first definition is the common denominator.

That's your example? Crosswords are competitive ; answering every clue correctly "wins" the crossword, while getting stumped means you "lose.". Crossword (or other "non competitive" word games) are like one-player videogames. It has an obvious set of rules, goals, and a win state for the player. "Competitive" can mean either player vs. game or player vs. player.

Try again!

JackFrost2012 said:
That's your example? Crosswords are competitive ; answering every clue correctly "wins" the crossword, while getting stumped means you "lose.". Crossword (or other "non competitive" word games) are like one-player videogames. It has an obvious set of rules, goals, and a win state for the player. "Competitive" can mean either player vs. game or player vs. player.

Try again!

So in Nintendogs, you "win" when you train your dog fully and then you move onto to another breed.

And don't you unlock other breeds of dogs as you successful train your current dog as well?

How is that not a "reward"?

SantaC

When Nintendogs comes to America, it's VERY unlikley it will rack up 10/10 scores. Probably wont even be close that.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
JackFrost2012 said:

Your point is arguable. There's a completion state, but what's a win or a lose state depends on the player.

My point still stands. The common denominator for games doesn't require competition. I think we could go around in circles with this forever - you're not going to change my mind and I'm not going to change yours. If you have a different definition for yourself, that's fine, just know that it's at odds with the standard definition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom