• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drinky Puppy colored dancing bananas thread(40/40 lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
JackFrost2012 said:
Please tell me one party game or word game without competition? Even with something like Spin the Bottle, there are winners (those who kiss) and losers (those who sit the round out).

You also conveniently left off the next dozen competition-related definitions. :p

what about solitaire? No competition except with yourself and the luck of the cards.

Nintendogs (and Animal Crossing) seem similar. You can think you are helping to train/interact with the god and help it develop its personality and abilities. Whether you actually are or not is moot. You are deriving entertainment and enjoyment from the interaction.

If you want to be pedantic about it, lets not call it a game. But then you simply need a larger pigeon-hole called 'entertainment' which includes both games and 'whatever Nintendogs is'.

This argument just sounds like old schoolers trying to defend games. Much like some defend 2D or the NES.

I think a lot of its score may simply be down to a combination of the type of game, the portability aspect, and its accessiblity to other people than regular gamers?

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
ONLY Vagrant Story, Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Soul Calibur have had perfect Famitsu scores to my knowledge. Let's await confirmation before this goes badly wrong...

Ash Housewares

The Mountain Jew
how can you say no to this?
nintendogs7.jpg

mrklaw said:
what about solitaire? No competition except with yourself and the luck of the cards.

Solitaire has a win state (all cards returned to the stack) and a lose state (unable to make a move, cards not in the stack).

How is this hard to understand? :)

Don't you also earn "points" in this game performing certain events, thus "raising" your puppy's level?

I mean how is that not a game?

Your goal is to train your puppy. Eventually he/she learns new tricks and responds to you and becomes better trained.

Then you can unlock new puppies inside the game.

Deku

Banned
Can someone (kobun?) translate the editor's rationale for giving the game perfect 10s?

Seems like they liked it quite a lot but they also probably gave a reason for it if perfect 40 score is rarely awarded by the editors.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
soundwave05 said:
How is that not a "reward"?
When everyone gets the same "reward", it becomes less valued.
When everyone has to exert minimal ability or intellect in order to get the "reward", the appreciation of actually receiving the "reward" is also lessened.

JackFrost2012 said:
Please tell me one party game or word game without competition? Even with something like Spin the Bottle, there are winners (those who kiss) and losers (those who sit the round out).
Truth or Dare.

Nintendogs is 40/40 according to Famitsu? Hmmm. Anyone have a translation of the actual review, to clarify their reasoning?

As for the "Nintendogs is (not) a game" debate, this is a flamewar as old as 2D vs. 3D or console vs. PC or east vs. west or any other you might care to name. Feel free to Google (or hit Google's usenet archive) for "SimCity is not a game" or "The Sims is not a game" or "Animal Crossing is not a game." You'll see essentially the same arguments.

dog$ said:
When everyone gets the same "reward", it becomes less valued.
When everyone has to exert minimal ability or intellect in order to get the "reward", the appreciation of actually receiving the "reward" is also lessened.

Uh ... so? Anyone can beat the first level of Super Mario Bros. or complete Metal Gear Solid as well. Does that mean that "reward" is lessened?

From IGN's preview of the game ...

The final product will put to use a much more extensive experience where players work with a single dog and strengthen it up for local, national, and international competitions that will put the puppy's obedience and agility to use.

So you train/stregthen the dog to compete in competetions where its performance is based on how well you've trained it. And from those competetions you earn points.

So this is an interactive experience where your "skill" as a trainer is put to the test. The better a trainer you are, the more functions you unlock in the game and the better trained your puppy becomes.

Ummm ... yeah. This is totally not a video game. It's some entirely new form of entertainment. :lol

Actually you guys who are trying to label it as a non-game are falling in line with exactly how Nintendo wants to market this game anyway.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
JackFrost2012 said:
Solitaire has a win state (all cards returned to the stack) and a lose state (unable to make a move, cards not in the stack).

How is this hard to understand? :)

OK, then Nintendogs has a win state (I enjoy myself) and a lose state (the wife wants to talk to me)

You don't play a game of solitaire to 'win'. You play it to relax and pass the time and see if you get lucky a couple of times.

I don't necessarily disagree with some of your points Jackfrost, but I disagree that the definition of a game involves being 'win driven'

tetsuoxb

The scan was too blurry for me to make out the words...

I think the second review address the "not a traditional game" aspect... but again, too blurry.

Im sure it is the same standard famitsu drivel.

Touching the dog gave me a warm feeling... ETC. ETC.

I kinda get the score - The editors at famitsu cant have dogs in the apartments, since they are low paid otaku who cant afford the premium a place that lets you keep a dog costs. So any semi-real interaction with a dog, and they go batshit insane.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
mrklaw said:
If you want to be pedantic about it, lets not call it a game. But then you simply need a larger pigeon-hole called 'entertainment' which includes both games and 'whatever Nintendogs is'.

This argument just sounds like old schoolers trying to defend games. Much like some defend 2D or the NES.

I partly agree with this. It feels like this is turning into a discussion about semantics really...definitions change over-time because of how they're applied, especially if they're applied a lot. So in essence, I think the correct usage of the term "videogame" is how it's applied by the rules that have been shaped up to this point in time. That's why I kind of agree that "entertainment" or another term may be used to group Nintendogs with other, more "traditional" games so to speak if Nintendogs indeed is as different from "traditional" games as it seems.

I'm sorry but the more I read about this game ....

Maybe if all you did was watch the puppies in a room ... I'd agree its not a game.

But you have to train your puppies and then have them compete in events to earn points. The better trained they are the better they perform in such events/competetions.

That's obviously a video game, just as much as say Sim City.

Now it may not be as "deep", but its a clear system which requires management on the player's part and offers rewards for how well the player performs and thus allows the player to unlock different breeds and behaviors within their dog.

Are we sure this is a scan from the regular Famitsu, and not the Nintendo Famitsu?

That would explain a lot. I seem to remember there being a Famitsu, and then like, Famitsu Advance or Nintendo Famitsu or something. If this score is from the Nintendo-only version of the magazine, the score would make a lot more sense, no?

dog$

Hates quality gaming
soundwave05 said:
Uh ... so? 1) Anyone can beat the first level of Super Mario Bros. or complete Metal Gear Solid as well. Does that mean that "reward" is lessened?

From IGN's preview of the game ...

The final product will put to use a much more extensive experience where players work with a single dog and strengthen it up for local, national, and international competitions that will put the puppy's obedience and agility to use.

2) So you train/stregthen the dog to compete in competetions where its performance is based on how well you've trained it. And from those competetions you earn points.

3) So this is an interactive experience where your "skill" as a trainer is put to the test. The better a trainer you are, the more functions you unlock in the game and the better trained your puppy becomes.

Ummm ... yeah. This is totally not a video game. It's some entirely new form of entertainment. :lol

4) Actually you guys who are trying to label it as a non-game are falling in line with exactly how Nintendo wants to market this game anyway.
1) Wrong. Someone who can't figure out how to jump would just run right forever in SMB1 and die in 10 seconds. In Nintendogs there's no game-stopping repercussions (or other forms of "loss") from you doing anything at any time.

2) Is this more than stat comparison? Determining if A > B isn't my idea of A Game.

3) This part I'd like a response to, so that I can better define the debate: what element of skill do you need to exert as a trainer in this?

4) Well, OK: why are you defending it then? :)

Jonnyram

I want to write something, but I can't stop laughing :lol
For the record, I think this is a game, but Electoplankton isn't.

dog$ said:
1) Wrong. Someone who can't figure out how to jump would just run right forever in SMB1 and die in 10 seconds. In Nintendogs there's no game-stopping repercussions (or other forms of "loss") from you doing anything at any time.

2) Is this more than stat comparison? Determining if A > B isn't my idea of A Game.

3) This part I'd like a response to, so that I can better define the debate: what element of skill do you need to exert as a trainer in this?

4) Well, OK: why are you defending it then? :)

So if I buy Nintendogs, and I play my copy for 10 minutes, my puppy will be as well trained/have as many features unlocked/ as a person who plays the game more and has a dog that performs better in the game's competetions?

I guess Sim City or the Sims don't really qualify as games either then.

You might have a point if the game just randomly generated functionality, but it you have to "play" the game in order to have your dog advance and thus have new features in the game unlocked.

Thus one person will have a more advanced dog than someone else who doesn't play as long or as well as someone else.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
Is Nintendogs a game?

Yes, of course it is. Shut up saying it isn't. You're starting to look stupid.

Is the game any good?

I played it for about two hours. I enjoyed it more than most.

Does it deserve a prefect score from Famitsu?

No. That would be retarded. It's a puppy-training sim for fuck sake. Grow up.

Is this scan real?

I personally don't think it is.

Should GAF await confirmation before declaring pwnage?

My magic eightball says almost certainly...

My bet is that Drinky will have his ban stick out for this thread. Might want to see my final point above...

soundwave05 said:
So if I buy Nintendogs, and I play my copy for 10 minutes, my puppy will be as well trained/have as many features unlocked/ as a person who plays the game more and has a dog that performs better in the game's competetions?

As well trained, no. Features unlocked, yes. All of the game's "play modes" are available from the start. Items are randomly found during walks and not "unlocked" through extended play.

EDIT: I hate to agree with Folder, but, I agree with Folder! So here is my stance, summarized before I leave the thread for the night:

Nintendogs is a game for the Nintendo DS. Though simple, it is well made with lots of detail and very enjoyable. Under no stretch of the imagination is it a perfect 40/40 title. That last bit - not Nintendogs existence or obvious game-like nature - is what's so offensive. "Nintendogs is a 10" is an opinion - so is "Resident Evil 4 is a 3." Both are fairly obviously wrong to anyone who's spent time with the titles.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Wow... some people in this thread need to turn off their monitors and go outside for a nice leisurely stroll... get some fresh air and cool off :p

Then again, I can't wait till Drinky sees this thread... :lol

Akai

If a game is beyond fun, it DOES deserve a perfect score...

Everyone needs to grow up and stop being whiny babies...It's really quite pathetic...

dog$

Hates quality gaming
soundwave05 said:
Your puppy will then be as well trained/etc/etc as everyone else who plays Nintendogs for 10 minutes.
Hence, Not A Game.

snapty00

Banned
Folder said:
Is Nintendogs a game?

Is the game any good?

Is this scan real?

My bet is that Drinky will have his ban stick out for this thread. Might want to see my final point above...
I TAKE YOUR OPINION SERIOUSLY

Alcibiades

Can one of the Japan GAFFERS tell us whether the scan looks real or authentic, and if the text makes sense considering who did the reviewing, and if the reviewing style matches?

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's fake guys...

of course - personally i think it is a fake - I got the new Famistu today dated 6th May and it's not it that - nor is it in any of the last 2 months issues either...

Not looking good...

Folder said:
Is Nintendogs a game?

Is the game any good?

Is this scan real?

I agree with this guy.

Only reason famitsu would cave and give this a perfect score would be the fear of street beatings from the Japanese 12 year old female pop.

Still Nintendogs had become on of my favorite Nintendo creations.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Folder said:

:lol classic

I'm gonna be sad if it was fake... this thread has been such an entertaining read...

Alcibiades

ok, looks like it's just been confirmed fake, I guess something did seem wrong...

:lol

now it's just funny to look back on all the back-and-forth, most funny are JackFrost's comments about how this review will damage the gaming industry... :lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Folder said:

Zelda got a 40 didn't it? Where you are a pixie thing, talking to fairies, dressed like fucking Robin Hood and throwing chickens. I don't think being grown up is a prerequisite here...

and even if it is a fake, we've had some good arguments, so its a good thread anyway.

deadfish

Why would drinky ban people for arguing there opinions?
That would be just stupid.

Anyway, nice work nintendo :eek:

I didnt think a game like this, or any game like it would get a perfect score, so it must be something really special.

n-off

My guess is, it became a perfect score because it utilizes all of the ds's features in a very well done way. IE who thought that this little Mic actually makes so much sense in a game? The touching is used perfectly too and so is the 3d grafics and the two screens. The score makes more sense if you think about that.

deadfish said:
Why would drinky ban people for arguing there opinions?
That would be just stupid.

Anyway, nice work nintendo :eek:

I didnt think a game like this, or any game like it would get a perfect score, so it must be something really special.

Not like it hasn't happened before, I wont mention names, oh wait it was me :)

This thread is funny, damage control is a hilarious thing

AB 101

Banned
I need to get this game for the wife whenever it makes it over here in the US.

Might be fun to make a dog pee and shit everywhere. :D

Can't wait for Drinky. :D

Amir0x

Banned
4 pages of hilarious overreaction and it's probably fake?

But man, if they give it a 2/40 or a 40/40 - Famitsu has always been near worthless. Why do people even post scores from them? Famitsu is good for breaking news and nothing - and I mean absolutely nothing - else. They're about an accurate a gauge for quality as asking a heaping pile of shit for its opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom