• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon Musk buys Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
discussion lounge GIF

LordCBH

Meanwhile Truth Social just moved to Rumble Cloud ending its beta and allowing them to onboard millions of users and clear the backlog of people waiting to get on.

The meltdowns are coming.

They need to hurry up and let me on lol. I’ve been #388k in line for months now lol

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
They need to hurry up and let me on lol. I’ve been #388k in line for months now lol

I got in the first night. Had the app pre-ordered and signed up as soon as the push notification showed up. Was like #90K something.

With the Rumble Cloud there won't be a waitlist anymore and the web version should then launch. No idea on the Android app though.

TTOOLL

Meanwhile Truth Social just moved to Rumble Cloud ending its beta and allowing them to onboard millions of users and clear the backlog of people waiting to get on.

Never heard of these two lol. Am I so out of the loop? Yep!

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i love all the rage this is causing but if Musk is going to force people to provide ID to join twitter then i'm not signing back up. is there any other way they can check you're a human? i know captchas exist but not sure that's enough to stop bots making accounts.

i was stupid enough to give Facebook my ID and i'm not giving another social media company it.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

It'll be very funny if it turns out that twitter is an appealing place for people to gather due its long developed rule implementation civilizing the town square just enough for the current comfort zone.

Nonetheless, it's a wild capitalist ride in the western world.

Elon seems so desperate. The events are giving the impression of a dramatic myth playing out where he's the someone desperate to possess something that, in the end, they destroy finding out it's not what they imagined.

Wheeljack539

Gold Member
Elon seems so desperate. The events are giving the impression of a dramatic myth playing out where he's the someone desperate to possess something that, in the end, they destroy finding out it's not what they imagined.

Considering Elon's comments he likely knows exactly what it is and that either way it's current model will be destroyed if/when he gets ahold of it.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Considering Elon's comments he likely knows exactly what it is and that either way it's current model will be destroyed if/when he gets ahold of it.
The guy has more than 80M followers on Twitter and is one of the most active accounts. He knows exactly what he's buying and what it's potential can be without the crazies running it.

RAÏSanÏa

His comments only seemed to offer some sweeping generalizations and meaningless buzzwords that make it seem more that he's thinking he's fighting an imaginary battle and he's the hero than what it really is.

I agree with you that twitter will be destroyed if he gets it.

Last edited:

Wheeljack539

Gold Member
The guy has more than 80M followers on Twitter and is one of the most active accounts. He knows exactly what he's buying and what it's potential can be without the crazies running it.

Exactly, hence the current model will be destroyed. There is no way he doesn't understand this.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Making the purchase to enact disruptive changes against the userbase to try to make them into something they aren't fail.
I am under the impression it has more to do with accountability on the company's side of things (moderation, why things were actioned, bad actor influence, etc), rather than anything to do with the userbase.

The only things being called out, is that the userbase are a product of said company actions.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
I am under the impression it has more to do with accountability on the company's side of things (moderation, why things were actioned, bas actor influence, etc), rather than anything to do with the userbase.
But what about the wrongthink they might be exposed to????

RAÏSanÏa

I am under the impression it has more to do with accountability on the company's side of things (moderation, why things were actioned, bad actor influence, etc), rather than anything to do with the userbase.

The only things being called out, are that the userbase are a product of said company actions.
Registrations and checkmarks affect userbase. As does moderation not just going forward but any affect on previous decisions the userbase agrees with.

RaptorGTA

Gold Member

Honestly, i forgot all about Truth Social...The fact it was so limited and only on the Apple store is such a bad move.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Honestly, i forgot all about Truth Social...The fact it was so limited and only on the Apple store is such a bad move.
It takes longer to develop an Android app because you have multiple OS variations and thousands of different phones to verify compatibility with.

RAÏSanÏa

This all publicly started with Musk polling his own followers back in March, didn't it?
He fell into the Dictator Trap on the first roll.

Wheeljack539

Gold Member
And if the internet was still anonymous, there would be no people's lives on the internet to destroy. "Don't believe anything you read on the internet" kept everyone on the internet safe, sane and entertaining.

The early days were truly a wondrous and fun time, weren't they?

Not much was taken seriously. Hell, "Go kill yourself" was an everyday parting shot that was laughed at. And now I'm reminded of that "You stole my cloud song" incident...

And then the normies came...

The early days were truly a wondrous and fun time, weren't they?

Not much was taken seriously. Hell, "Go kill yourself" was an everyday parting shot that was laughed at. And now I'm reminded of that "You stole my cloud song" incident...

And then the normies came...
Yes they were wonderous.

You needed skill and intellect to own a socially unpopular device (PC) and be part of a socially unpopular group (nerds) to access the internet. The reward was nothing was taken seriously. How often did you see the first post in any thread saying "OP is a f*gg*t"? A word I have had to censor, as it is now bannable offense on the clear-net.

The smart phones came a long; a socially popular gadget-cum-necessity, which required no skill, intellect or even set up; it just works out of the box. Coupled with cameras, it allowed the worst in society (the narcassists and 'jocks') to flood the internet and talk about nothing but themselves with complete seriousness.

The fun left the internet over a decade and a half-ago, and it isn't ever coming back, unless we return to complete anonymity; a dream so far away from becoming reality that it may as well be abandoned. Our hobby, our space, our imaginationland co-opted by people who don't have the mental capacity to navigate one reality, let alone a virtual one on top.

Sad.

Last edited:

RaptorGTA

Gold Member
It takes longer to develop an Android app because you have multiple OS variations and thousands of different phones to verify compatibility with.
I dont see why they wouldnt have released a web version of the site. Would allow any phone to access it. Just seemed like a way to shoot your product in the foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom