• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon Musk buys Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ntropy

g4obeaClMYRO.jpeg

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I worry for Musk because he's like the only super rich Western guy who doesn't play for team Davos. They will gun for him if he starts poking around where they don't want him to.
They already do even though he is single handily solving most of the issues they cry about.
But then again the left is only about crying and not solving issues so there’s that.

Ionian

Yes they were wonderous.

You needed skill and intellect to own a socially unpopular device (PC) and be part of a socially unpopular group (nerds) to access the internet. The reward was nothing was taken seriously. How often did you see the first post in any thread saying "OP is a f*gg*t"? A word I have had to censor, as it is now bannable offense on the clear-net.

The smart phones came a long; a socially popular gadget-cum-necessity, which required no skill, intellect or even set up; it just works out of the box. Coupled with cameras, it allowed the worst in society (the narcassists and 'jocks') to flood the internet and talk about nothing but themselves with complete seriousness.

The fun left the internet over a decade and a half-ago, and it isn't ever coming back, unless we return to complete anonymity; a dream so far away from becoming reality that it may as well be abandoned. Our hobby, our space, our imaginationland co-opted by people who don't have the mental capacity to navigate one reality, let alone a virtual one on top.

Sad.

Get off the internet Donald Trump!

You havn't a clue. Internet was around far far earlier old man. Don't believe me? Could download 8 bit games off a modem.

I demand a dance-off.

Catphish

I worry for Musk because he's like the only super rich Western guy who doesn't play for team Davos. They will gun for him if he starts poking around where they don't want him to.
I've been thinking the same thing. A rich and powerful dude who (seemingly) has the best interests of the planet and humanity at heart?

Watch the fuck out, mate.

Last edited:

Ionian

I've been thinking the same thing. A rich and powerful dude who (seemingly) has the best interests of the planet and humanity at heart?

Watch the fuck out, mate.

100%.

Nothing ever happens.

It's all vaporware yet he is the richest man on the planet.

Stupidity makes money.

Why? well idiots spend.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Bill Gates is not really a good guy.

His "nice uncle" appearance with the sweater and the timid, aloof smile lulls you into slumber but the guy is ruthless.

Anyone so successful cant be a nice guy. And that's fine, I guess, but your broader point is completely right- its a well crafted persona that has given him lots of dividends.

I was watching the Xbox documentary and was taken aback just how ruthless and scary they portrayed Bill to be during meetings. I guess I was lulled too :p

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It takes longer to develop an Android app because you have multiple OS variations and thousands of different phones to verify compatibility with.
NO, iOS programming (native) fucking sucks.

Native programming is past gen anyway. Flutter FTW

Wildebeest

So he claims that BillG shorting Tesla is bad because it is bad for the climate and not because Tesla isn't massively overvalued and BillG is bound to lose his money.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So he claims that BillG shorting Tesla is bad because it is bad for the climate and not because Tesla isn't massively overvalued and BillG is bound to lose his money.
We should be calling all these private plane flying, massive mansions energy supplying, yacht owning, etc, “climate change leaders” out more.

Put their money where their mouth is and live more environmentally humble 🤷‍♀️

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
We should be calling all these private plane flying, massive mansions energy supplying, yacht owning, etc, “climate change leaders” out more.

Doesn't Bill gates own an especially huge mansion? They probably had to get down a county-sized forest to build.

Wildebeest

Who is calling who out and for what? Both these men are billionaires and can easily weather any amount of "calling out" from people like me, and lots of people will go to bat for them out of the hope that they get some crumbs from the table.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Who is calling who out and for what? Both these men are billionaires and can easily weather any amount of "calling out" from people like me, and lots of people will go to bat for them out of the hope that they get some crumbs from the table.
True, but not the point.

BigBooper

Don't they have to say they're "seriously considering" it because all the shareholders could sue them otherwise? They have to at least pretend they are doing the best for their company.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I think their egos and desire to control other people will override any offer. I hope I'm wrong.
They are a publicly traded company at some point it will be illegal to ignore the offer when he keeps buying stock from individuals. They cannot actively work against the investors best interests.

artsi

There are some people on the internet that are going batshit crazy about Elon buying Twitter and I don't understand why.

They're literally trying to cancel Twitter if the sale goes through. What?

ManaByte

Gold Member
There are some people on the internet that are going batshit crazy about Elon buying Twitter and I don't understand why.

They're literally trying to cancel Twitter if the sale goes through. What?

Because they weaponized Twitter as their woke cannon to destroy anyone that holds a political view different than their own. Gina Carano pointed out that they were doing that (which is what happened in Germany in 1939) and the mob got her fired from Star Wars due to her holding up a mirror to them.

SJRB

Gold Member
Because they weaponized Twitter as their woke cannon to destroy anyone that holds a political view different than their own. Gina Carano pointed out that they were doing that (which is what happened in Germany in 1939) and the mob got her fired from Star Wars due to her holding up a mirror to them.

They just can't resist adding that snarky "richest man in the world" side comment, can they?

So tiresome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom