• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon Musk buys Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogbert

Dumb And Dumber Lol GIF

Fake

For all of you questioning the move, let's be honest here. Twitter is already a terrible place to be, it's a place that practices OPEN CENSORSHIP (alex jones, trump, babilon bee etc). There's no way Elon will make it worse.

It'll either become a good place to have "free speech" or it will cease to be relevant. In any case we win.
This.

Ballthyrm

My favorite so far:
gfggffg.jpg

The dude is asking for the job like a Fox in the henhouse.
Not only he is not qualified for the job, this is the last type of person you would want in there.

For all the constant talk about inclusivity, they aren't willing or able to share a common platform with the diversity of people point of views.

Unrelated to this, I decided to reactivate my twitter to just to follow some game related twitters (like Kojima) and it blows my mind how unintuitive twitter is, I guess I'm just old.

Somehow my account was following 150 people that I didn't know and I only had activated this account like once a long time ago.

Raven117

The dude is asking for the job like a Fox in the henhouse.
Not only he is not qualified for the job, this is the last type of person you would want in there.

For all the constant talk about inclusivity, they aren't willing or able to share a common platform with the diversity of people point of views.
Jokes. How do they work?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Hopefully the pronoun patrol all congregate somewhere else. Place would be far less toxic. I'm not sure how many of them are bots and how many are real, but there is no pile-on like a pronoun army pile-on. Someone says something and the wrong crowd gets wind of it and you get thousands of people storming your feed with death threats and the most vile language from people with "be kind" in their bio, it's absolutely insane.

I remember many months ago responding to one of these people on something they said hours prior, and they responded back in less than a second. Made me realize most of these people probably live on there, and their social media friends are the only friends they have and it's like a religious gathering to them. Definitely not healthy. Hope they all leave and go somewhere else and let them have their own social media platform full of crazy people.

Would also mean less pressure on institutions and corporations. Any time they say something someone doesn't like, there will be far less pile on.

I doubt this happens though because they'll know this and there's no chance they'll leave a platform where they have such significant bullying influence.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

It's definitely a possibility.

Many Americans (which matters, because it's an American company and not exactly super popular outside of it) don't realize what people from other countries consider to actually be "free speech". Here in the US, the first amendment provides meager protections by placing several restrictions upon the government. That's it. Musk, as he has expressed before, thinks that Twitter - a private entity not affiliated with the government - somehow suppresses what he considers "free speech". Well, that's easy to quantify from observation: he doesn't think the people that got banned for breaking the rules, such as hate, abuse, shitty politics, forwarding conspiracies, etc, should have been banned. Right? I mean, who else have Twitter been banning aside from bots? If someone doesn't run afoul of their rather lax rules they get to remain on the platform. I am pretty sure even the Taliban still have their account active, because they have not broken the rules.

Also, not to be misunderstood, I don't actually give much of a shit about Twitter, and even less about whatever one of the various space-related billionaires might be buying on any given day. I just think that the "FREE SPEECH!" crowd is missing what could well be the obvious because they view this as some kind of win, and projecting their value of Twitter in their own minds upon everyone else. When in reality even Reddit is more popular, and the whole thing could be replaced by a startup in weeks.
Very lax. Usually only seems to involve deletion of a tweet. And there is an appeals process.
It's not like discussion on economics is banned.

He's an antivaxxer so maybe he wants to loosen moderation on that sewage back into the twitter supply untreated.

dem

As someone who leans left... I hope this can help change the culture and rein in the lunatic fringe a bit..

but I doubt it.

I was reading an ERA thread on this.. and the lunatic left dogpiling is really out of control. Literally no discussion is allowed.

Last edited:

Raven117

rFshKiI.jpg

Last year, but Neogaf is still historically left of center, it's just the left has gone illiberal as they say.
Pretty much this....until the Right does something stupid (like elect Trump), then I'm back on the other line of the center....but still being yelled at by the "woke." Then it wobbles back...and Im being yelled at by the right being a "concerned moderate." Whatever.

BigBooper

It's definitely a possibility.

Many Americans (which matters, because it's an American company and not exactly super popular outside of it) don't realize what people from other countries consider to actually be "free speech". Here in the US, the first amendment provides meager protections by placing several restrictions upon the government. That's it. Musk, as he has expressed before, thinks that Twitter - a private entity not affiliated with the government - somehow suppresses what he considers "free speech". Well, that's easy to quantify from observation: he doesn't think the people that got banned for breaking the rules, such as hate, abuse, shitty politics, forwarding conspiracies, etc, should have been banned. Right? I mean, who else have Twitter been banning aside from bots? If someone doesn't run afoul of their rather lax rules they get to remain on the platform. I am pretty sure even the Taliban still have their account active, because they have not broken the rules.

Also, not to be misunderstood, I don't actually give much of a shit about Twitter, and even less about whatever one of the various space-related billionaires might be buying on any given day. I just think that the "FREE SPEECH!" crowd is missing what could well be the obvious because they view this as some kind of win, and projecting their value of Twitter in their own minds upon everyone else. When in reality even Reddit is more popular, and the whole thing could be replaced by a startup in weeks.
Yes, lax. Lax in fairness. Lax in ways like banning the New York Post for the laptop story, only to have the story satisfactorily confirmed by co-conspirators a year later.

As someone who leans left... I hope this can help change the culture and rein in the lunatic fringe a bit..

but I doubt it.

I was reading an ERA thread on this.. and the lunatic left dogpiling is really out of control. Literally no discussion is allowed.
why do you even still go there who cares bout them

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Love it.

As controller of Twitter, he'll unleash endless hilarious tweets and nobody will be able to stop him.

Give it a year or so for things to shake out. The pendulum is going to swing rightward everyone. For all of you tired of Twitter being the bastion for no holds barred leftwing tweets, get ready for shitloads of right wings tweets to balance it out. If Musk lets it be a free for all, it's going to be the biggest social media laughfest ever, especially with the US election coming in another 2.5 years.

I know he joked about it at first, but who knew he'd go through with it. Goes to show when money talks, social media and politics gets thrown out the window.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
For all of you questioning the move, let's be honest here. Twitter is already a terrible place to be, it's a place that practices OPEN CENSORSHIP (alex jones, trump, babilon bee etc). There's no way Elon will make it worse.

It'll either become a good place to have "free speech" or it will cease to be relevant. In any case we win.

A lot of this does feel like:

”Oh noes! The billionaire has bought the absolute fucking cesspit that is Twitter! It’ll be so much worse now!”

It’ll either be better or dead. Either is fine with me.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Yes, lax. Lax in fairness. Lax in ways like banning the New York Post for the laptop story, only to have the story satisfactorily confirmed by co-conspirators a year later.

They were sharing personal information that the party who was being exposed didn't want made public. Remember Hunter wasn't holding any kind of political office and wasn't a public figure. He had the temerity of being the rich-kid son of the future US president and was a crack head or whatever. That doesn't give the NYP free reign to share his private data.

LordCBH

They were sharing personal information that the party who was being exposed didn't want made public. Remember Hunter wasn't holding any kind of political office and wasn't a public figure. He had the temerity of being the rich-kid son of the future US president and was a crack head or whatever. That doesn't give the NYP free reign to share his private data.

Tell that to the Washington Post, who also shared private information that a private citizen didn’t want out because she *checks notes* reposted shitty TikTok videos.

BigBooper

Oh yea, out of bounds like the last time this happened *looks over at calendar* a week ago with Libs of Tiktok and Taylor Lorenz who was never banned at any point.

Nvzman

Didn't CNN dox (or threaten to dox) someone for making some Trump/CNN meme? How did THAT not get their account banned? That was just some random kid iirc.
Rules for thee but not for me!
EDIT: Oh yea they did. Their article doesn't mention how they threatened the dude and demanded an apology.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Tell that to the Washington Post, who also shared private information that a private citizen didn’t want out because she *checks notes* reposted shitty TikTok videos.

Oh yea, out of bounds like the last time this happened *looks over at calendar* a week ago with Libs of Tiktok and Taylor Lorenz who was never banned at any point.

Didn't CNN dox (or threaten to dox) someone for making some Trump/CNN meme? How did THAT not get their account banned? That was just some random kid iirc.
Rules for thee but not for me!

I don't know what you guys are referring to, I guess I don't keep up with social media that much. I can only speak to the Hunter Biden ordeal which I think most people would agree was sensationalist and out of bounds. If that also applies to your examples then I would agree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom