• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA Women's World Cup 2015 Canada |OT| Blatter's Last Voyage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brashnir

Doesn't changed the fact that their group is rigged, instead of randomly drawn like the men's world cup.

Their group was rigged to be by far the most difficult in the tournament? yeah, sure. If you want to use that as a reason to diminish their accomplishment, you're a a piece of human shit.

zychi

Banned
Doesn't changed the fact that FIFA rigged the group for seeded team, instead of randomly drawn like the men's world cup.

You mean the "lottery" of pre-selected balls?

Weird to be upset over the FIFA women's and not the corruptness of FIFA men's. Especially since it's the reason for the US investigations.

elty

Their group was rigged to be by far the most difficult in the tournament? yeah, sure. If you want to use that as a reason to diminish their accomplishment, you're a a piece of human shit.

Huh, since when did I finish their accomplishment? Do you even know the seeded team are chosen to be in their group to promote ticket sales instead of randomly drawn? Why can't you accept this simple fact?
http://www.socceramerica.com/article/64204/fifa-organizers-rig-womens-world-cup.html

Jacob

Congrats to the USWNT! Well-deserved win today.

Eaglefan.gif will become the stuff of legend.

why can't world cups be like, 2 years apart, 4 years is too long a wait D:

There are no age restrictions for the women's tournament at the Olympics so it's kinda like getting a World Cup every two years!

Slurmer

Banned
Doesn't changed the fact that FIFA rigged the group for seeded team, instead of randomly drawn like the men's world cup.
It does make a difference if you are trying to insinuate that it was rigged in their favor though, which is what you did

nahlakhai

Lol? USA's group was the only one that had 3 teams in the top 10 in the same group. Nice try.

On another note, you remind me of one of my co-workers, who's a Canadian national but ethnically Iranian. He claims to be a huge soccer/football fan but only follows the CL and had no clue about the Women's World Cup and even the COPA America. I overheard him talking about the WWC and he was like "Nobody cares, its women."

Its as if the rest of the world is so scared of the threat of a new powerhouse in their beloved sport that they feel like turning it into a sexist argument will diminish the accomplishments of these women.

Kazerei

Banned
US and Canada does not need to face seeded team until semi final, because their group is chosen instead of randomly drawn.

Germany and france are also rigged to face each other in quarter.

Wha? If Canada finished 2nd in the group stage (which could have easily happened lol), they would have faced the United States in the quarter finals. No matter what, you're going to have highly anticipated matchups starting in the quarter finals. If it wasn't France/Germany, it could have been France/Canada, Japan/Germany, whatever.

zroid

Banned
I don't understand, why? Excuse any potential ignorance, but from what I've read she holds dual citizenship and realized her dream of playing for a much better country. Does being a star on a mediocre Canadian national team come close to winning a World Cup with the greatest women's team in the world?

Oh, and also the recognition endorsements and national exposure in the US gets you. Hell, I'm Canadian and couldn't name a single Canadian player prior to this tournament, yet knew the names of several US players, including Leroux. Whatever the future holds for Leroux, she's accomplished her dream with the country she chose. I'd be chanting U-S-A too.

You're taking my salt way too seriously.

Regardless, she was born and raised in Canada. If she wanted the fame and fortune, good for her. But Canadians are well within their rights to resent her. Have a little pride, bro.

elty

I'm aware of the issues with the draw, but the US came through the worst of it. Do you deny that?
I never claim their group is easy nor they don't deserve to win. It seems that merely bringing up the fact that FIFA rigged the group for ticket sales would upset people.

Let's see how hard each group was rank wise from the eyes of the strongest team in each group.

A: Canada (8th)
Netherlands 12th
China 16th
New Zealand 17th

B: Germany (1st)
Norway 11th
Thailand 29th
Ivory Coast 67th

C: Japan (4th)
Switzerland 19th
Ecuador 49th
Cameroon 53rd

D: USA (2nd)
Sweden 5th
Australia 10th
Nigeria 33rd

E: Brazil (7th)
Spain 14th
Korea 18th
Costa Rica 37th

F: France (3rd)
England 6th
Mexico 25th
Columbia 28th

Yes look how easy the US had it compared to everyone...

11312407_118888321782370_1037477632_n.jpg

Buds in the dressing room.

AMERICA

Also ¡GOOOOOOL ESTADOS UNIDOS!

Kazerei

Banned
US and Canada does not need to face seeded team until semi final, because their group is chosen instead of randomly drawn.

Germany and france are also rigged to face each other in quarter.

"Seeding" happens in the men's tournament too though.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA_World_Cup_seeding

I wouldn't really call it rigging. In this tournament, they put the seeded teams (Canada, United States, France, Germany, Japan, Brazil) in to different groups so that the competitive level in each group would be more balanced. That way there wouldn't be a group loaded with talent, and a group full of scrub teams. The non-seeded teams were randomly drawn.

Briarios

Real team effort in this World Cup ... The U.S. had like 8 or 9 different players score throught the 7 games. I know people have been somewhat down on Wambach, but let's not forget she got the winner against Nigeria. The formation change and benching Wambach was the right choice, but so many people contributed -- it was great to watch.

The USA team was placed in a bracket called the "Group of Death."

I don't think that was rigged...
Or one could say it was rigged so the U.S would have a hard time.

U.S went up against The Wall (China) and The Machine (Germany) and won

Lol I actually don't know what everyone is talking about...I'm lost....what are we arguing about

uniform

You're taking my salt way too seriously.

Regardless, she was born and raised in Canada. If she wanted the fame and fortune, good for her. But Canadians are well within their rights to resent her. Have a little pride, bro.

I know, I should. I was rooting for Germany (my family background and carryover from Men's) and Canada, so for me the soundtrack to this WC might as well be letting air out of a wet balloon.

I guess I just look at it as I would our actors, musicians, and athletes that fly south where there's actually potential for success that matters on a world stage. I just can't be salty about it.

zychi

Banned
Real team effort in this World Cup ... The U.S. had like 8 or 9 different players score throught the 7 games. I know people have been somewhat down on Wambach, but let's not forget she got the winner against Nigeria. The formation change and benching Wambach was the right choice, but so many people contributed -- it was great to watch.

One could say, it's a team sport :p

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The USA team was placed in a bracket called the "Group of Death."

I don't think that was rigged...

And after that had to face some of the best teams in the tournament. If anything Japan had a straight shot to the final after the group stage.

Anyone saying this was somehow rigged in the US's favor is a fool and knows jack shit about this tournament or the teams involved.

Who's seriously talking about the seeds being rigged for the US?

The US, Germany, and France were rigged to be in the same side of the bracket for fucks sake.

How is that being rigged in favor of the US?

Brashnir

Who's seriously talking about the seeds being rigged for the US?

The US, Germany, and France were rigged to be in the same side of the bracket for fucks sake.

How is that being rigged in favor of the US?

Seriously. I'd be willing to listen to arguments to the notion that the tournament had been rigged if the winner hadn't come from the "hard" side of the draw.

KHarvey16

Racist tweets have started not surprised from murricans.....
http://i.imgur.com/XGWh2lW.png

anyways hopefully this match turns out great!

Anyone can find racists if they make it their job to look for them. It seems really important to you to point these out, for some reason.

The US had a legit path to the Final. Topping the group of death and then beating Germany in the semifinal.

Honestly I think that's what helped us shoot out the cannon at the start of this game. Japan in comparison played fairly mediocre teams in the knockout stages. The US were battle tested and it showed in the Final. Japan didn't get their sea legs until the second half.

trixx

American Men team isnt as bad as a lot of people make them out to be. The competition that they have to face is real tough. Many games could go either way

I never claim their group is easy nor they don't deserve to win. It seems that merely bringing up the fact that FIFA rigged the group for ticket sales would upset people.
No, what upset people was the claim that FIFA rigged the bracket in the USA's favor.
2 of those goals were chance. The rest were were very nice goals. Japan goal was pure class. Overall I think bracket was rigged in USA favor. Happy for our ladies though. That Carli whiff and commentator. God bless the US

Madness

I don't understand, why? Excuse any potential ignorance, but from what I've read she holds dual citizenship and realized her dream of playing for a much better country. Does being a star on a mediocre Canadian national team come close to winning a World Cup with the greatest women's team in the world?

Oh, and also the recognition endorsements and national exposure in the US gets you. Hell, I'm Canadian and couldn't name a single Canadian player prior to this tournament, yet knew the names of several US players, including Leroux. Whatever the future holds for Leroux, she's accomplished her dream with the country she chose. I'd be chanting U-S-A too.

She's on the American team by a technicality because her father, who now lives in Canada, was an American citizen. She was born in Canada, raised in Canada, even playing for the U18 Canadian National team, her story about leaving for the US at 14 doesn't jive with the fact she came back and only left back to Arizona at 17. Sure you can say her soccer skills took off that senior year in Arizona and then at University and making the National team, but I don't know.

And when it's the Americans, they try to downplay others playing for their National teams, but look at the vitriol they give their own players who leave to play for other teams. Vic Wild who is American but ethnically Russian and has Russian immigrant parents was called a defector and traitor because he joined Russia for Sochi. Becky Hammon was called unpatriotic by the US women's national coach for basketball because she played for Russia in Beijing. So why be upset if Canadians feel that way about Leroux and others? One of the worst examples is President Bush and Congress signing an emergency law granting canadian Tanith Belbin American citizenship before the Torino Olympics in 06 so she could win a medal for the US.

Brashnir

American Men team isnt as bad as a lot of people make them out to be. The competition that they have to face is real tough. Many games could go either way

the USMNT is a totally solid international team, but they're not legitimate contenders for a world championship.

the USMNT is a totally solid international team, but they're not legitimate contenders for a world championship.

We've made the elimination round 2 WC's in a row so if nothing else we're a consistent top 15 team. And we just upset @Germany in an exhibition. Sure Germany wasn't full strength but neither was the US. If nothing else the US Mens team is solidifying themselves as the most consistent CONCACAF team

Brashnir

She's on the American team by a technicality because her father, who now lives in Canada, was an American citizen. She was born in Canada, raised in Canada, even playing for the U18 Canadian National team, her story about leaving for the US at 14 doesn't jive with the fact she came back and only left back to Arizona at 17. Sure you can say her soccer skills took off that senior year in Arizona and then at University and making the National team, but I don't know.

And when it's the Americans, they try to downplay others playing for their National teams, but look at the vitriol they give their own players who leave to play for other teams. Vic Wild who is American but ethnically Russian and has Russian immigrant parents was called a defector and traitor because he joined Russia for Sochi. Becky Hammon was called unpatriotic by the US women's national coach for basketball because she played for Russia in Beijing. So why be upset if Canadians feel that way about Leroux and others? One of the worst examples is President Bush and Congress signing an emergency law granting canadian Tanith Belbin American citizenship before the Torino Olympics in 06 so she could win a medal for the US.

all these technicalities for a player who didn't even play today. #getoverit.

Brashnir

We've made the elimination round 2 WC's in a row so if nothing else we're a consistent top 15 team. And we just upset @Germany in an exhibition. Sure Germany wasn't full strength but neither was the US. If nothing else the US Mens team is solidifying themselves as the most consistent CONCACAF team

absolutely, I'm not crapping on the men's team. They're making progress, but this is the ladies' night.

Madness

all these technicalities for a player who didn't even play today. #getoverit.

How does that change anything I said? It's American hypocrisy at its finest. The rest of the world needs to get over it when the US poaches stars or players but when it's an American player going elsewhere, they're traitors, defectors, unpatriotic to the highest magnitudes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom