• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FootballGAF 2019/2020 |OT| Does Your Team Got What It Takes To Be Crowned?

Dark Rider

United's more pressing concern was a lack of creativity and the inability to break down teams who would sit back. That's where Bruno is going to be a big help.

That's Pogba job
Pogba is supposed to be the one providing creativity and breaking down teams who sit back and the other midfield player job is supposed to be cover the defensive side of the midfield while Pogba is busy focusing on the attack. Did Manchester United give up on Pogba providing creativity and breaking down defensive teams?

DKehoe

That's Pogba job
Pogba is supposed to be the one providing creativity and breaking down teams who sit back and the other midfield player job is supposed to be cover the defensive side of the midfield while Pogba is busy focusing on the attack. Did Manchester United give up on Pogba providing creativity and breaking down defensive teams?

It's part of his job for sure. But like I have said in previous posts teams quickly learned that if they can shut down Pogba they could shut down the flow of the team overall. A team shouldn't be relying on a single option like that. There was a point where Pogba was leading on goals, assists and chances created. Players like Troy Deeney have talked about how opposition players have an "oh shit" reaction when they see he's going to be playing. They know what he can do and that they'll have to work harder with him on the pitch. It's true he's not quite made the impact a lot of people, myself included frankly, had hoped. But he's not the flop some make him out to be either. I think he's a big part of the rebuild that's finally starting to feel like it actually has a direction.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
In terms of midfield prospects in the academy I'm more excited about Mejbri.

United's more pressing concern was a lack of creativity and the inability to break down teams who would sit back. That's where Bruno is going to be a big help.

Having 2 creative players, with Sancho on the right, should be quite tricky to for teams to mark. And you always have the insane pace advantage over any team.

Dark Rider

It's part of his job for sure. But like I have said in previous posts teams quickly learned that if they can shut down Pogba they could shut down the flow of the team overall. A team shouldn't be relying on a single option like that. There was a point where Pogba was leading on goals, assists and chances created. Players like Troy Deeney have talked about how opposition players have an "oh shit" reaction when they see he's going to be playing. They know what he can do and that they'll have to work harder with him on the pitch. It's true he's not quite made the impact a lot of people, myself included frankly, had hoped. But he's not the flop some make him out to be either. I think he's a big part of the rebuild that's finally starting to feel like it actually has a direction.

The more players you need to help Pogba the less players you have to fulfill the defensive void that Pogba leave behind him. Shutting down Pogba should take more out of other teams than it currently does. I agree a team shouldn't rely on a single option but when choosing an option (be it Pogba or anyone else) that option should bring more benefits than trouble to the team over all imho.

I completely agree that Pogba is not a flop if you ignore his written status as a superstar with massive wages. If you factor those in then one can wonder that maybe for the same fee and wadges Manchester United could have got someone who does more for the team on the pitch.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Pogba back to Juve.

It's the dream.

Personally won't miss him if his attitude is the same, Ole is the man.

45kp7a.jpg

Personally won't miss him if his attitude is the same, Ole is the man.

45kp7a.jpg

There's some truth in that but I'm sure on the flipside its hard to manage an asshole in the squad with a hole at the management position.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
There's some truth in that but I'm sure on the flipside its hard to manage an asshole in the squad with a hole at the management position.

Nope, Ole has schooled the so-called masters of management this season, and even the only loss with Pep between the rest made Pep change his formation to 3-4-3! That tells you a lot.

Then Pep went back to 4-3-3 and got spanked.

Last edited:

ILoveGTR

I just wanted to ask how Beşiktaş fans really feel about the meme that is come to Beşiktaş
and also how do you see football progression in Turkey going forward
Actually as a Beşiktaş fan i find it funny... Some Fenerbahçe and Galatasaray fans use it for the trigger us but for most football fans here it is funny. The story of this meme, someday an Beşiktaş fan said to Cristiano Ronaldo "Come to Beşiktaş" in his instagram stream and that sentence become a meme in Turkey after that.

And my opinion on Turkey's football progression is not so bright tbh. There is a lot of cheating in Turkish derbies. Every single person in TFF (Turkish Football Federation) trying to make Galatasaray champion and send them to Champions League. I dont have any problem with Galatasaray or their fans but i dont think Galatasaray deserves most of their victories. To be summarize i miss old days of Turkish football. Times when Galatasaray wins CL without cheating, Beşiktaş passing the groups without a single defeat. One of the best players like Roberto Carlos playing in Fenerbahçe. And Turkish national team becomes 3rd in the WC 2002. Thanks for questions

Dark Rider

Actually as a Beşiktaş fan i find it funny... Some Fenerbahçe and Galatasaray fans use it for the trigger us but for most football fans here it is funny. The story of this meme, someday an Beşiktaş fan said to Cristiano Ronaldo "Come to Beşiktaş" in his instagram stream and that sentence become a meme in Turkey after that.

And my opinion on Turkey's football progression is not so bright tbh. There is a lot of cheating in Turkish derbies. Every single person in TFF (Turkish Football Federation) trying to make Galatasaray champion and send them to Champions League. I dont have any problem with Galatasaray or their fans but i dont think Galatasaray deserves most of their victories. To be summarize i miss old days of Turkish football. Times when Galatasaray wins CL without cheating, Beşiktaş passing the groups without a single defeat. One of the best players like Roberto Carlos playing in Fenerbahçe. And Turkish national team becomes 3rd in the WC 2002. Thanks for questions

I think the first time that meme became known worldwide was with that transfer and ad. It is funny and it I think it's good that Beşiktaş fans find it funny too :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

As for Turkish football, it's corruption then. That is tough, I hope things improve.
Thank you for your reply :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Prison Mike

Banned
He can but those two are better. These two won 3 UCLs in a row, 4 UCLs in 5 years. When they are at thier best they are magic.

I completely agree that it's a joy to watch them all and enjoy but I think some are better than others but that does not take away from De Bruyne or anyone else really.

I'm sure playing with Ronaldo may of helped.... I digress I'm always going to say de bruyne he's my boy but loved seeing the beautiful game back

DKehoe

Nope, Ole has schooled the so-called masters of management this season, and even the only loss with Pep between the rest made Pep change his formation to 3-4-3! That tells you a lot.

Then Pep went back to 4-3-3 and got spanked.

I think Ole being a less high profile coach than someone like Mourinho is good for what United need right now. United's problems post-Ferguson has been that Ferguson oversaw everything on the football side of things and him and David Gill leaving at the same time left a huge void at the top that the club have struggled to fill. The club needs to rebuild that structure, ideally they should get a Director of Football to provide that stability but that doesn't seem to be happening. But if you tried to do that while someone with the stature and ego of Mourinho they would drag their heels on it. Ole is so entrenched in the culture of the club that the criticism of him "just being happy to be there" works in that respect.

Now watch United absolutely shit the bed tomorrow :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Dark Rider

I'm sure playing with Ronaldo may of helped.... I digress I'm always going to say de bruyne he's my boy but loved seeing the beautiful game back

Yes as evidenced by Juventus winning the UCL after signing Cristiano
Every single player in that team was a key ingredient to those 3 UCLs in a row, 4 UCLs in 5 years
The team needed a midfield that is as magnificent doing its job as Cristiano was doing his job up front
Kroos - Modric - Casemiro were just above everyone else in the midfield.

Yes as evidenced by Juventus winning the UCL after signing Cristiano
Every single player in that team was a key ingredient to those 3 UCLs in a row, 4 UCLs in 5 years
The team needed a midfield that is as magnificent doing its job as Cristiano was doing his job up front
Kroos - Modric - Casemiro were just above everyone else in the midfield.
Because 35 year old Ronaldo is the same as 29 or 30 year old Ronaldo.

Right.

Dark Rider

Because 35 year old Ronaldo is the same as 29 or 30 year old Ronaldo.

Right.

He won the UCL with Real Madrid the prior year to being at Juventus
If he won it in 2018 while at Real Madrid then why not win it the very next year in 2019?
you make it sound like there was a decade long gap between Cristiano winning the UCL in 2018 and being at Juventus that same year and getting another shot at the UCL the very next year 2019

EDIT: Also to add me and you know that Juventus bought Cristiano thinking he will deliver a UCL title to them

Last edited:
He won the UCL with Real Madrid the prior year to being at Juventus
If he won it in 2018 while at Real Madrid then why not win it the very next year in 2019?
you make it sound like there was a decade long gap between Cristiano winning the UCL in 2018 and being at Juventus that same year and getting another shot at the UCL the very next year 2019

EDIT: Also to add me and you know that Juventus bought Cristiano thinking he will deliver a UCL title to them
First off, I don't think you add one player thinking they get you a CL title.

They added Ronaldo to increase their brand. And it's worked a lot. Their shirt sponsor increased their annual sponsorship from 17m to 42m even with 2 years left on he deal. See below:

ERhpzQ1XkAAoS53

Match day revenue increased 25% just adding Ronaldo to the squad, see below:

EJo4ZNKW4AE_l9s

A great article on the affects on Juventus' social media after adding Ronaldo, including massive spikes in key regions that European clubs want to expand such as Asia and India. See below:

Add in the massive rise in revenues after adding him. Something to the tune of over 100 million.

Sure, they added Ronaldo for a better chance at a CL but they did it for the brand and revenue and as an attempt to get an Italian club back into the top clubs of the world. It's been the plan since Agnelli became the chairman. Recovering and at least being somewhat competitive against the massive clubs in Europe when it comes to revenue.

To add to that, Juventus have said internally that getting the club to be sustainable with revenue and make further large purchases is the goal.

That is the future and the increase in brand recognition will be a part of that future for Juventus.

Dark Rider

First off, I don't think you add one player thinking they get you a CL title.

They added Ronaldo to increase their brand. And it's worked a lot. Their shirt sponsor increased their annual sponsorship from 17m to 42m even with 2 years left on he deal. See below:

ERhpzQ1XkAAoS53

Match day revenue increased 25% just adding Ronaldo to the squad, see below:

EJo4ZNKW4AE_l9s

A great article on the affects on Juventus' social media after adding Ronaldo, including massive spikes in key regions that European clubs want to expand such as Asia and India. See below:

Add in the massive rise in revenues after adding him. Something to the tune of over 100 million.

Sure, they added Ronaldo for a better chance at a CL but they did it for the brand and revenue and as an attempt to get an Italian club back into the top clubs of the world. It's been the plan since Agnelli became the chairman. Recovering and at least being somewhat competitive against the massive clubs in Europe when it comes to revenue.
To add to that, Juventus have said internally that getting the club to be sustainable with revenue and make further large purchases is the goal.

That is the future and the increase in brand recognition will be a part of that future for Juventus.

The original Argument was the insinuation that Crictiano won the UCL dismissing the midfield contribution to wining it
I pointed out other players were as important as him doing their job just like him and gave an example that Although Crictiano moved to another top team the very next year he failed to win the UCL
Then you pointed out to his age as the culprit and I refuted that by pointing out how he won the UCL with Real Madrid then the very next year failed to do so with Jevuntus emphasizing that there was no difference in his age (namely one year) between winning it with Real Madrid and failing to win it with Juventus and mentioned that Juventus bought him to win the UCL.

Yes on the financial side of things Juventus see Cristiano as a source for revenue but what does that have to do with the sport side of things?
on the sport side of things Juventus did not need Cristiano but they bought him thinking he will deliver the UCL to them.

And I disagree that Juventus needed to buy Cristiano to put themselves on the top teams list. They were already on the top 5 list of clubs in Europe at the time and a constant contender to win the UCL and in fact made it to the final two times in 3 years (and lost both of them to Barcelona and Real Madrid)
Juventus was a top 5 team before buying Cristiano and naturally are still there after buying him.

The original Argument was the insinuation that Crictiano won the UCL dismissing the midfield contribution to wining it
This wasn't my argument and I also agree it wasn't the case. But just like you say somebody could dismiss the midfield, dismissing the CLEAR elite player on the squad that bagged not just the majority of the goals but clutch UCL goals is dismissive too.
I pointed out other players were as important as him doing their job just like him and gave an example that Although Crictiano moved to another top team the very next year he failed to win the UCL
Which I 100% agree with, other players were important to him winning the UCL the year before.
Then you pointed out to his age as the culprit
I didn't say his age was the culprit, merely mentioned that a he was a year older. A bad on my part to step into the conversation about the year previous and make it about a younger Ronaldo. Although you'll notice, the original discussion between you and another poster YOU mentioned multiple UCL titles, 4 in five years, not me. So to compare the body of UCL championships and then make it about one year, the one UCL before he went to Juventus is a bit disengenous.
and I refuted that by pointing out how he won the UCL with Real Madrid then the very next year failed to do so with Jevuntus emphasizing that there was no difference in his age (namely one year)
Again, you mentioned a body of UCL wins and 4 UCL in five years saying those two were magic, which does a disservice to Ronaldo's contribution. You know, the 17 goals in 11 matches in 2014 UCL title, 16 goals in 12 matches in 2016 title, 12 goals in 13 matches in 2017 title, or 15 goals in 13 matches in 2018 title.
between winning it with Real Madrid and failing to win it with Juventus and mentioned that Juventus bought him to win the UCL.
I agree with you and I think we both agree on this. Juventus did bring him here to win a UCL. I guess my point was lost when I was trying to say comparing the body of Ronaldo's work in UCL to Ronaldo missing out with Juventus because he was without Kroos/Modric was a bit dismissive of how impactful Ronaldo truly was for those squads.

It goes back to my original comment. One player when there are 11 on the field is really hard to nail down.
Yes on the financial side of things Juventus see Cristiano as a source for revenue but what does that have to do with the sport side of things?
In the modern game, everything. Especially when leagues are trying to compete with absolute revenue behemoths like the EPL after the TV deal and Barca/Real.
on the sport side of things Juventus did not need Cristiano but they bought him thinking he will deliver the UCL to them.
I think it was a multi-faceted decision beyond just a UCL but agree to disagree.
And I disagree that Juventus needed to buy Cristiano to put themselves on the top teams list.[/wuote]

Of course they're a top club in terms of reputation. But as AC Milan, Inter Milan in Italy alone, never mind other clubs that have reputation but low revenue show, being considered a top club can get buried if you don't have the revenue to compete and therefore capture the mindshare.
They were already on the top 5 list of clubs in Europe at the time and a constant contender to win the UCL and in fact made it to the final two times in 3 years (and lost both of them to Barcelona and Real Madrid)
Yep, totally agree they had a really good run at the time. But I think you can imagine the revenue numbers of EPL clubs and Barca/Real/Bayern really playing in the minds of Juventus and their management, especially with how Serie A used to be THE league in the late 90s, early 2000s.
Juventus was a top 5 team before buying Cristiano and naturally are still there after buying him.
I agree. I think lower revenue and popularity, especially in this day and age, can play with the minds of management as well as doom some clubs who lag too far behind as clubs revenues explode at a crazy pace.

I think we're in agreement, I just think the revenue side played a pretty major role in the Juventus decision.

Cheers.

Dark Rider

This wasn't my argument and I also agree it wasn't the case. But just like you say somebody could dismiss the midfield, dismissing the CLEAR elite player on the squad that bagged not just the majority of the goals but clutch UCL goals is dismissive too.

Which I 100% agree with, other players were important to him winning the UCL the year before.

I didn't say his age was the culprit, merely mentioned that a he was a year older. A bad on my part to step into the conversation about the year previous and make it about a younger Ronaldo. Although you'll notice, the original discussion between you and another poster YOU mentioned multiple UCL titles, 4 in five years, not me. So to compare the body of UCL championships and then make it about one year, the one UCL before he went to Juventus is a bit disengenous.

Again, you mentioned a body of UCL wins and 4 UCL in five years saying those two were magic, which does a disservice to Ronaldo's contribution. You know, the 17 goals in 11 matches in 2014 UCL title, 16 goals in 12 matches in 2016 title, 12 goals in 13 matches in 2017 title, or 15 goals in 13 matches in 2018 title.

I agree with you and I think we both agree on this. Juventus did bring him here to win a UCL. I guess my point was lost when I was trying to say comparing the body of Ronaldo's work in UCL to Ronaldo missing out with Juventus because he was without Kroos/Modric was a bit dismissive of how impactful Ronaldo truly was for those squads.

It goes back to my original comment. One player when there are 11 on the field is really hard to nail down.

In the modern game, everything. Especially when leagues are trying to compete with absolute revenue behemoths like the EPL after the TV deal and Barca/Real.

I think it was a multi-faceted decision beyond just a UCL but agree to disagree.

I feel that you felt that I downplayed Cristiano role in winning the UCL
Not once I said he did a lesser role than anyone else on the team, in fact that was my point to the poster mentioning Cristiano (and I don't think his role was bigger than his teammates either). My comments about the magic of the midfield trio had nothing to do with Cristiano and more to do with comparing them with other midfield players around the world, the poster just couldn't refute that and just wanted to dismiss them by assigning their achievements to Cristiano (and you came in here)

To be frank I don't think Cristiano could have scored as many goals without that midfield and wings. At the same time the team would not have scored as many goals without Cristiano. In fact I'll go further and say if Cristiano stayed at Real Madrid he would have scored as many goals as he did before he went to Juventus so that one year older really would have made no difference to Cristiano ability. Which bring me to the 4 titles in 5 years, I refuse to believe that his ability could carry him for 5 straight years then drop off a cliff in the span of months (it was less than year between him winning the UCL and being knocked out with Juventus), a 34 years old Cristiano was as capable as a 29 years old Cristiano and I think 35 years old Cristiano is as capable too.

I feel there is a misunderstanding regarding the financial side of the argument. How much the financial impact a club ability to buy talent and compete is something I agree on totally and what I was trying to say is the financial part of it was a given, a fact that didn't need to be discussed so the focus for me was the sport side of it.

Dark Rider

[Official] Europa League 2019/20 will finish with a straight knockout tournament in four western german cities (Cologne, Duisburg, Düsseldorf and Gelsenkirchen). Wil start 5th of August with remaining Ro16 matches and finish 21st of August with the final in Cologne.

Dark Rider

Gerard Pique: "At WC 2010 I got a cut above my eyebrow and then in training, they hit me in the mouth. I broke my face for Spain. Long live the king! I left South Africa as a different person and had an unforgettable experience. I won the biggest title one can win, and met the love of my life."

He got together with Shakira at that time.

Dark Rider

The EURO 2020 play-offs have been rearranged for 8 October and 12 November. Originally scheduled for the end of the March, the play-offs – which will decide the final four participants at EURO 2020 – were postponed due to the COVID-19 outbreak.

Dark Rider

Jan Oblak becomes the goalkeeper with the fewest games needed to reach 100 clean sheets in LaLiga history (182), surpassing Miguel Reina's record (222)

Prison Mike

Banned
Yes but the fact that you got a tattoo of this one I thought this felt extra special to you :messenger_beaming:
Maybe because Manchester United started celebrating and trophy was on it's way to them when you got the third goal
Well anytime we get one over on united is a blessing to me haha

Azurro

Banned
Nah, pay 100M in cold cash and keep those leftovers :messenger_winking_tongue:

Pogba is still the best in his position, if he stops bitching.

There won't be 100M transfers in this coronamarket. By the way, isn't Pogba free next year? As far as I know, United hasn't triggered their automatic 1 year renewal option.

DKehoe

There won't be 100M transfers in this coronamarket. By the way, isn't Pogba free next year? As far as I know, United hasn't triggered their automatic 1 year renewal option.

I know there was talk about triggering it. they haven't yet then they absolutely will. Makes no sense not to.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

They can trigger it without permission from Pogba, which extends to Summer 2022.

Top Bottom