• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 5 Next Gen performance targets revealed. RT only utilized in Forzavista

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Thats true. I've seen you here all week as normal. Cant say that for many of the others.

I've been in the wild mostly, and working out. Been too sedentary when I was active here + lots of lockdowns. So far lost 12kg (~26 lb) in around 2 months :) Also back to work at school full time, working on a documentary film and ads etc. Hope you're doing well, mate. Here's a frame of a video:

C0443-15222216.png

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
I've been in the wild mostly, and working out. Been too sedentary when I was active here + lots of lockdowns. So far lost 12kg (~26 lb) in around 2 months :) Also back to work at school full time, working on a documentary film and ads etc. Hope you're doing well, mate. Here's a frame of a video:

C0443-15222216.png
I see a car, Thelma and Louis 2 sequel incoming? You could use a camel :messenger_beaming:

Don't do it BO

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
i received like 20 lol and empathy votes from him/her in a day, posts were yonks old
oh that
I was looking at your replies here compared to this thread here
you were kinda vocal in both threads for a different reason.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

C0443-15222216.png
That it's a drone footage? Like from some video documentary? Because that picture looks crisp.

Warablo

The setting of this game has no appeal to me whatsoever, just looks...dull, compared to previous ones.
I think a lot of people feel this way, but I know it will be great once I get in the game. Wasnt the biggest fan of the UK location.

Guilty_AI

The setting of this game has no appeal to me whatsoever, just looks...dull, compared to previous ones.
What makes it dull is the fact you won't be able to put a giant sombrero on the roof of your car since that would be "offensive".

Add a mustache on the front bumper too

And replace de wing mirrors with maracas

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Look more closely.... it's 100% RT.

Then you have never played a race game before. Again Cube maps and SSR.

Forza Horizon 5 will not feature ray-tracing during regular gameplay. ... Instead, Playground games decided to deploy ray-tracing where it would the most: up close and personal in the Forzavista model viewer. Forzavista is a separate mode where players can view in-game vehicle models at their highest level of detail.

GT7 will have RT for replays and looks like inside and outside mirrors atm. Forzavista mode is what they called Scapes in GT Sports:

Rikkori

The graphics in FH4 are already at the highest level of what raster can do today, with their only low-points being streaming distances for LOD0 as well as overall far-away detail and streaming. That FH5 is looking to tackle exactly those issues means we'll have the best looking game ever made thus far.

Adding RT in general would NOT have helped because they'd have to re-do so much in order to accommodate it and then the performance penalty would also means you'd have to sacrifice quality elsewhere in order to have RT on. Frankly for a racing game like this I would NEVER add RT reflections over their godlike use of cube-maps & SSR unless I just had the equivalent of 4x a 3090's performance available, because they already do the job to 95% effectiveness on a very small performance budget! When I go between FH4 (PC) and CP2077 & WD:L with RT reflections on the difference is simply minimal when driving around! If those games had FH4's cube-maps I'd sure use it instead of RT just so I can use that performance elsewhere.

For other games RT can be a huge boon because they're simply not at the level of these devs and so they are not mastering raster & all its tricks to such a high level. When your mastery of lighting is already so good that means you will run into diminishing returns when switching to RT but you also have a giant performance penalty to deal with. Considering the state of the consoles with regards to RT capabilities that would be impossible, but frankly even on PC there's still much more RT perf. that would be needed.

The people clamouring for RT in FH5 simply don't understand just how good Playground really is and what they've achieved with raster mastery and how little RT would actually add (even subtracting the performance penalty)!

Emet_bp

Then you have never played a race game before. Again Cube maps and SSR.
[...]
I'm not talking about pure gameplay scenes but some "replay" scenes of racing from the first FH5 trailer. And there you can see RT in some scenes other than Forza Vista. You can pretend to be smarty guy but I know what I'm talking about and I know difference between RT, cubemaps, planar reflections and SSR and know how they work.
I know that they say RT is going to be avaible only in FV... but that doesn't change the fact that they have showed somethng different in thr reveal trailer.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I'm not talking about pure gameplay scenes but some "replay" scenes of racing from the first FH5 trailer. And there you can see RT in some scenes other than Forza Vista. You can pretend to be smarty guy but I know what I'm talking about and I know difference between RT, cubemaps, planar reflections and SSR and know how they work.
I know that they say RT is going to be avaible only in FV... but that doesn't change the fact that they have showed somethng different in thr reveal trailer.

Seriously, what do you not understand? Lol i do not pretend to be any “smart guy”. There is no such thing as “some scenes have RT in replay”. Sorry you do not know the difference. Look at other race games with reflective hood cam or track reflection. I can show you content from other race games showing cubemap/ssr reflection while driving include GT Sprt.

You just clearly ignore the fact that Horizon does not have RT other then Forzavista.

Last edited:

Neo_game

Both this and GT7 are cross-gen. What's Polyphony's excuse?

GT7 should be compared to Forza8 as the comparison can be made of same car and track.

Moreover these are from photomode and I do not think they have show ant 60fps footage yet. We have only seen quality mode that is targeting 4K 30fps so far. Also at E3 they did not mention it was captured on SX ? So it was probably running on a gaming rig.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Yes. But the SeriesS + X version have a 60fps mode confirmed, so theres no need to worry or be concerned.
I’m guessing variable resolution at least on Series X. Hoping it hovers around 1440p in performance mode. I remember performance mode in Horizon 4 on Xbox One X was 1080p/60FPS.

C0443-15222216.png

Dude is filming God of War movie if it took place in the year 2021. That SUV belongs to Kratos and his son. :)

What? Are you meaning FH4? Lots of people felt its setting was dull compared to the rest of the series. FH5 looks extremely vibrant and varied. No clue how you could think it looks dull.
I think a lot of people feel this way, but I know it will be great once I get in the game. Wasnt the biggest fan of the UK location.

I'm not seeing that sentiment much at all about FH5 actually. Not sure where you're seeing it. Most people seem really impressed.

What? Are you meaning FH4? Lots of people felt its setting was dull compared to the rest of the series. FH5 looks extremely vibrant and varied. No clue how you could think it looks dull.

I'm not seeing that sentiment much at all about FH5 actually. Not sure where you're seeing it. Most people seem really impressed.
The only people who were upset about the location, are the ones who wanted Tokyo instead. To be honest, I'd be happy with either of them, as playground games, are the new coalition.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
GT7 should be compared to Forza8 as the comparison can be made of same car and track.
Forza Motorsport is not cross gen, rebuild from scratch for next gen and most importantly
With the new Forza Motorsport, ray tracing is coming to ForzaTech, you will see a dynamic world in 4K, 60fps, that is connected and dynamic – from surfaces of cars reflecting off each other, to brilliant red paint bouncing off intensely detailed track surfaces, and the interplay of light and shadow throughout the world.

I mean, we will see when the time comes what it's like. Typically between these two studios it's turn 10 who is the creator of the engine Playground uses for all their games. Turn 10 will do the groundwork, build the foundation of the engine, and then Playground will usually play with and then iterate on top of what Turn 10 did.

We'll see, but I don't mind it not being in-game so long as the game still looks beautiful and plays well. If they are choosing to not put it in actual gameplay, I'm sure there's a good reason for it. Their engine just isn't there yet, or maybe it's too taxing, and they're instead opting what's best for the game. I'm okay with that.

skneogaf

I don't believe the next forza motorsport will have ray tracing reflectionsbin game whilst driving.

Maybe global illumination ray tracing would be doable on the series consoles.

Top Bottom