• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 5 Next Gen performance targets revealed. RT only utilized in Forzavista

scalman

when you think more about it ... H5 same old H4 just looks lil better and new location , doesn handling changed , guess not , so what changed then ? wheres excitment ? does it have bikes now , guess not .. can u get of car and walk well no ... so its like to have h3 and h4 on your system u just go into new location. is that enough ? does new visuals enough? it looks good on paper sure traier is amazing... but im not playing this game as i watch trailer.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
why are the people arguing about it not just take the time and pixelcount the highest quality video they find, and find out if it scales? it's not hard to do and doesn't take as much time ad arguing about it all day xD

here is how to pixelcount fast and easy

VGTech/NXGamer/DF or one of them should provide that, if it's worth it at this stage. Better wait for the game release and see the final build.

JackMcGunns

After watching Metro Exodus with RT needing an entirely new design that could only run on next gen, it makes a lot of sense to me since FH5 has to run on Xbox One as well. The new NEXT-GEN only Forza will use all the bells and whistles, the same way FH3 did, whereas FH2 worked on 360 and there's just no comparison.

The gen has just begun, if this is the FH2 of this gen, get ready to get your socks blown off.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I think this is a fair expectation but it wouldn't shock me if it misses the mark even if not by much. The digital foundry comparison of this game between XSX/PC is gonna be interesting.
I'd expect much better effort than they put in with the S|X FH4 upgrades. In retrospect it makes sense they'd do a bare-bones upgrade since FH5 was coming down the pipe soon. I'll be playing on PC at 60fps, but I'm still hoping for the best for people playing on S|X in 60fps mode. Stuff like night shadows and AO were absent in the S|X versions of FH4, and those need to be included in FH5 60fps mode even at the expense of resolution. A 1080p/120fps mode would be cool for the XSX, too.

Last edited:

elliot5

I'd expect much better effort than they put in with the S|X FH4 upgrades. In retrospect it makes sense they'd do a bare-bones upgrade since FH5 was coming down the pipe soon. I'll be playing on PC at 60fps, but I'm still hoping for the best for people playing on S|X in 60fps mode. Stuff like night shadows and AO were absent in the S|X versions of FH4, and those need to be included in FH5 60fps mode even at the expense of resolution. A 1080p/120fps mode would be cool for the XSX, too.
to be fair the X|S version wasn't done by Playground. It was Panic Button iirc

JackMcGunns

That's how you know they brought the goods.

Haha true

"Give me the best visuals possible, RayTracing is a waste of resources, just look at Unreal Engine 5"

Oh man, how the narrative turns so quickly, it could snap someone's neck!

ss_4f2da231c28c5cb6a1ed4f62aaad6f51ca4a5c05.1920x1080.jpg

OMG, is this real life?

Oops, neve mind, it's not Ray Traced lol.

Interfectum

Haha true

"Give me the best visuals possible, RayTracing is a waste of resources, just look at Unreal Engine 5"

Oh man, how the narrative turns so quickly, it could snap someone's neck!

ss_4f2da231c28c5cb6a1ed4f62aaad6f51ca4a5c05.1920x1080.jpg

OMG, is this real life?

Oops, neve mind, it's not Ray Traced lol.
The funny part is they could just lie and say it's ray traced and all of a sudden that same picture increases in realism / awesomeness 100%.

DaGwaphics

The funny part is they could just lie and say it's ray traced and all of a sudden that same picture increases in realism / awesomeness 100%.

Nothing wrong with RT, it can look amazing. But if you can fool me this well with all the fake tricks, be my guest. The end result should be what matters in the end.

I've even seen a few examples of RT where I like the non-RT version better, super realism doesn't always capture the mood quite as well. Especially in dark scenes.

Thirty7ven

Banned
It’s possible that with a 60 FPS target, multiple cars driving through a lush environment with water on top, it becomes impractical to apply real time RT.

I would be lying if It meant anything more than a footnote, Playground is doing phenomenal work.

Last edited:
This comparison makes me angry every time I see it.
Forza Horizon 2 on X360 is not shit because the original game is too heavy, but only because it is a shitty port. Even The Crew on X360 have more geometry than this, not counting NfS Rivals, Most Wanted and TDU2.
forza 2 was a massive step , and probably the foundation of the true game series, as the first was 90% arcade , the second , 90% real, due to input from physics scientists and race drivers.

LostDonkey

when you think more about it ... H5 same old H4 just looks lil better and new location , doesn handling changed , guess not , so what changed then ? wheres excitment ? does it have bikes now , guess not .. can u get of car and walk well no ... so its like to have h3 and h4 on your system u just go into new location. is that enough ? does new visuals enough? it looks good on paper sure traier is amazing... but im not playing this game as i watch trailer.

What in the actual fuck was that.

Last edited:

LostDonkey

Forza has great graphics going for them but it doesn’t have the charm GT gives you.

Charm? There hasn't been a mainline GT game for over 9 years. Whatever charm it has, has been missing for so long, it's probably not relevant any more. I love Gran Turismo and I can't wait for 7 but they're going to have to do something really special to pull me away from the Forza ecosystem now.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It’s possible that with a 60 FPS target, multiple cars driving through a lush environment with water on top, it becomes impractical to apply real time RT.

I would be lying if It meant anything more than a footnote, Playground is doing phenomenal work.
But their main target is 30 fps native 4k like Ratchet. I think the open world limits the use of RT. Horizon Forbidden West isnt using RT either.

Apparently Avatar is using ray traced foliage. Whatever that means. But it doesnt seem to be using ray traced lighting or reflections either. Flight sim is coming out soon and its not using ray tracing. We have just two open world games so far using ray tracing. Spiderman and Metro and both go down to 1080p when trying to hit 60 fps. And thats while displaying last gen assets. Forza is using next gen foliage that looks almost photorealistic. I just dont think you can have enough budget left for ray tracing when you are pushing graphical fidelity that high.

The lighting is fairly cross gen and car models dont seem to have gotten a big upgrade from last gen so my guess is that it will stay that way even in the fully next gen only Forza Horizon. They will use any extra GPU power to redo the lighting and other visual effects going forward. I think ray tracing will only be in linear racing games like GT7 and Forza Motorsport.

Razvedka

Banned
Series S is definitely a 1080p console.

Edit: and to be clear, there's nothing wrong with that. Tons of people still have a 1080p TV in their living room.

Last edited:

platina

But their main target is 30 fps native 4k like Ratchet. I think the open world limits the use of RT. Horizon Forbidden West isnt using RT either.

Apparently Avatar is using ray traced foliage. Whatever that means. But it doesnt seem to be using ray traced lighting or reflections either. Flight sim is coming out soon and its not using ray tracing. We have just two open world games so far using ray tracing. Spiderman and Metro and both go down to 1080p when trying to hit 60 fps. And thats while displaying last gen assets. Forza is using next gen foliage that looks almost photorealistic. I just dont think you can have enough budget left for ray tracing when you are pushing graphical fidelity that high.

The lighting is fairly cross gen and car models dont seem to have gotten a big upgrade from last gen so my guess is that it will stay that way even in the fully next gen only Forza Horizon. They will use any extra GPU power to redo the lighting and other visual effects going forward. I think ray tracing will only be in linear racing games like GT7 and Forza Motorsport.
Unless it’s a design issue due to being a cross gen game it could most definitely have ray traced reflections during gameplay if they implemented fidelityfx. The performance increase is massive.

Last edited:

Emet_bp

I'm suprised that nobody noticed (even DF) that there are RT reflections visible in the official trailer with "replay" angles during racing. You can see it clearly on the scenes on the screenshots below. And for example in scenes with Land Rover near... waterfall you can see that in some scenes there are high res shadows and RT reflections and in other no RT reflections and lower res shadows.
MenQS8Q.jpg

aMI53v8.jpg

B0rRz5O.jpg

5sGXJXF.jpg

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
I'm suprised that nobody noticed (even DF) that there are RT reflections visible in the official trailer with "replay" angles during racing. You can see it clearly on the scenes on the screenshots below. And for example in scenes with Land Rover near... waterfall you can see that in some scenes there are high res shadows and RT reflections and in other no RT reflections and lower res shadows.
MenQS8Q.jpg

aMI53v8.jpg

B0rRz5O.jpg

5sGXJXF.jpg
Yeah i know but its still not in gameplay (which matter the most) its gonna be in photomode and Forzavista probably.

JackMcGunns

You're asking questions instead of making statements, so I'll let you slide on the ignorance, instead here's a link to help educate you, so you don't go embarrassing yourself in public.

EventLab being one of the coolest things

Forza_Horizon_5_Captured_Screenshot_27.jpg

Forza-Horizon-5-Event-Lab.jpg

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

I think ray tracing will only be in linear racing games like GT7 and Forza Motorsport.

Last time I trust PD with anything.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I wonder if they might offer a lower resolution 30fps ray traced mode with reflectiond and lighting? gt and forza 8 should do the same thing

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
MenQS8Q.jpg

aMI53v8.jpg

B0rRz5O.jpg

5sGXJXF.jpg

Cubemaps and SSR (screen space reflection).

Stuart360

Gold Member
Actually, on PS5 you'll get RT on the replay. On FH doesn't even happen there. Soooo I guess its still a win? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

(but it's still a fail... whatever)
Well no because with Forza being open world, its replays are the same camera angles as the gameplay, so if the gameplay doesnt have RT in Forza, its replays wont.

Garani

I actually don't recall there being replays in Forza Horizon. That's why they give you the Forzavista to fap over the cars as people normally do with replays.
Honestly, I don't know and I don't care. I mean, I still have my fair share of RT to gloat over :D

Stuart360

Gold Member
I actually don't recall there being replays in Forza Horizon. That's why they give you the Forzavista to fap over the cars as people normally do with replays.
There are replays in Horizon 4 but its literally a replay of the race you just did, with the same behind the car or in the car camera angles. Obviously with a track racer you can set camera's in certain spots etc for some cinematic replays, but you cant really do the same thing in an open world.

Last edited:
Part of me thinks that Playground has been so confidently showing this game off every 2 weeks is that they knew the inside scoop on GT7 and are certain FH5 is the superior product.

Guilty_AI

Why are you pumping a 3-month-old thread?
this i assume

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Don't worry m8, i received like 20 lol and empathy votes from him/her in a day, posts were yonks old.

Stalker type I think. "lollipop_disappointed:

It's like sleep doc reincarnate. :messenger_grimmacing_

He/she does it regularly. I don't mind it though just hope he's/she's in good health. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Top Bottom