• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - The Floodgates Have Opened...

supersaw

Raudi said:
Look closely at the wheel in the photo of Jeannette in the sled at T10 - The wheel he is using looks to be the Fanatec CSR (aluminum face with red buttons) with Club Sport pedals!

I have had a Fanatec PWTS wheel on my rig since they were first available and just recently bought a GT2 - Definitely worth it for the added realism and level of immersion.

Here's my setup initially bought for for Forza, but now expanded to GT5 and PC :)

5457726316_ee5c039e38_z.jpg

Wow, nice setup. Currently just using mine at a computer desk but would love to setup a dedicated rig once I have more space.

Kinda annoying when my entire pedal setup moves during a race when I brake aggressively.

I'm aware of the Forza wheels that Fanatec is bringing out I just hope that Turn10 & Fanatec worked together on this to achieve the highest level of realism and it's not just a branding partnership.

Raudi

supersaw said:
Wow, nice setup. Currently just using mine at a computer desk but would love to setup a dedicated rig once I have more space.

Kinda annoying when my entire pedal setup moves during a race when I brake aggressively.

I'm aware of the Forza wheels that Fanatec is bringing out I just hope that Turn10 & Fanatec worked together on this to achieve the highest level of realism and it's not just a branding partnership.

LOL - I know what you mean about fighting the pedals as I had a wobbly office chair setup with a wheel mounted to my desk for a couple of years until I bought a Playseat. (I have since changed out the Playseat for the Obutto rig to save my aching old back and rump)

I am also hoping for some enhanced FFB with FM4 on the Fanatec Wheels!

P.S. Hey Jube - don't forget about us FM3 faithful! Update those T10 picks on SF with the past several weeks comp winners ;)

Mascot

Raudi said:

I put a strip of 1/2" thick neoprene down to rest my shoeless heels on when using the pedals, but your solution looks a lot more comfortable... ;)

Very nice rig, man. I'll post up some pics of my own when I'm mobile again.

I've been thinking more about the latest Week In Review overnight (one of the benefits of a bad neck: no sleep):

We know from the photo that we've got Gunnar Jeannette's car, and we've got Gunnar Jeannette's overalls. Take this one step further: is it too much of a stretch to speculate that we might have Gunnar Jeannette himself as an AI driver? And expanding the logic, how about if ALL of the AI drivers were now famous faces from motorsport? Forget what we saw at E3, those AI names on display could just have been placeholders, carried over from FM3.

AI drivers use Drivatar technology, right? Who's to say Turn 10 haven't signed up a bunch of real-life drivers, stuck them in a race rig, and extracted their racing personalities and abilities? Can you imagine how awesome it would be racing against real racing legends, past and present, rather than faceless bots? This would also correlate with Dan's comments (in the old video I -rather prophetically- linked to yesterday) about AI drivers being recognisable by their racing overalls and car colours. Maybe they have their own race liveries on their cars as well, an easily-identifiable 'brand' or theme that is applied to all the cars they drive, no matter what class you are racing in?

Or, maybe if the usual roster of AI drivers are not replaced for everyday races, maybe some motorsport personalities do appear for specific challenges, eg beat Gunnar's time on track X using his own car, or the Stig's times on the TGTT?

I'm probably 100% wrong about all this but... why not, Turn 10? If not for FM4 then it's something to think about for FM5.

G Rom

That setup looks awesome Raudi ! :)
Concerning FM3, I'd like to see Turn 10 give out fat stack of cash now that we can't get expensive cars or unicorns via official competitions...

@NullPointer : GT5 did that during the AMG Driving school special event. The corner names faded in/out above the HUD speedo. It would be great to have it for all tracks in FM4.
One detail that I'd also like to see is the name of official paints but judging from the E3 videos, I don't think it will be in unfortunately.

BTW, saw this very nice RS5 yesterday :
5918314954_78e7357cf0_b.jpg

Pepto

Banned
Oh it's Raudi. I remember your GT from forzamotorsport.net. I used to have ton of your cars. Sick setup.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Raudi I will do my best to match your setup, I already got my playseat and wheel, just need 2-3 monitors and 1-2 360's

What size are your monitors and what kind of stand are you using for them?

Raudi

Pepto said:
Oh it's Raudi. I remember your GT from forzamotorsport.net. I used to have ton of your cars. Sick setup.

Yeah it's me - Thanks!

I have 4 Storefronts full of my Designs in FM3 - Need moar design slots for FM4!

Slayer-33 said:
Raudi I will do my best to match your setup, I already got my playseat and wheel, just need 2-3 monitors and 1-2 360's

What size are your monitors and what kind of stand are you using for them?

I chose the 23" NEC EA231WMI monitors since they have an IPS LCD panel (Best off angle viewing).

I started out just placing the monitors around my Corner office desk for the first couple of years for FM2, but later picked up an Ergotech Stand. When I ordered the Obutto rig I opted for the Triple Monitor accessory - so they are mounted to the rig now at just the right distance.

Raudi said:
Look closely at the wheel in the photo of Jeannette in the sled at T10 - The wheel he is using looks to be the Fanatec CSR (aluminum face with red buttons) with Club Sport pedals!

I have had a Fanatec PWTS wheel on my rig since they were first available and just recently bought a GT2 - Definitely worth it for the added realism and level of immersion.

Here's my setup initially bought for for Forza, but now expanded to GT5 and PC :)

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5213/5457726316_ee5c039e38_z.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
Cat clutch?

sneaky77

Awesome trailer..

now that I have tried to get my hype for this game under control.. the only worry I really have is the track variety. And maybe a better career progression and using more tracks more often

Watevaman

Jadedx said:
I have the solution to that problem....

buy a 360.

It's funny because I bought a 360 January of 2010 for the sole purpose of playing Forza 3. I ended up buying a ton of DLC for it and the only other game I had for the 360 was Halo 3 (I own a PS3 and most multiplats on that) so I ended up selling the 360 back in November just because I wasn't using it.

I don't know if I want to do that again for Forza 4, but it's oh so tempting.

Watevaman said:
It's funny because I bought a 360 January of 2010 for the sole purpose of playing Forza 3. I ended up buying a ton of DLC for it and the only other game I had for the 360 was Halo 3 (I own a PS3 and most multiplats on that) so I ended up selling the 360 back in November just because I wasn't using it.

Why?

Besides a few games the 360 version is usually better.

Mascot

Got a bunch of cable management to sort out plus some proper stands for the front speakers, but here's my current set-up. Got the bulk of it from a game shop where it was ex-display, just six months old and in as-new condition. Bought the FM3 Playseat, seat slider, mat, shifter mount (not shown), TV mount, 32" Sharp LCD HDTV, audio system, Logitech G27 wheel, shifter & pedals, MS wheel adapter, new HDMI cables and copies of Shift 2 & Battlefield:BC2 all for £400, which was a sweet sweet deal. I added the GT2 and Clubsport pedals are incoming.

032.jpg

Not sure yet if I'll go the 3-screen route, but after seeing Raudi's rig...
Never say never.

*edit* and here's how I used to roll on my homebrew:

1.jpg

4-1.jpg

skyfinch

Instead of buying 2 more screens, I am going to put 2 mirrors on either side of my TV. I will even put my phone under my butt and have someone call me while I play. It will stimulate....I mean, "simulate" the vibrations of the road.

I will post my setup real soon.

Doodis

If any of you have 1,000 in-game credits to spare, would you mind buying a tune-up from me? I'm trying to get as many Forza 3 achievements as possible before 4 comes out, and I need Entrepreneur.

I only have one tune setup in my storefront, and it's a drift setup that I found online. It may not be the greatest, but 1,000 credits is the lowest you can ask for.

Gamertag = Les Doodis

Thank you, kind soul, whoever you are.

saladine1

I plan on turning a real car into my game room. What I'll do is, take a 1980's BMW and delete the windscreen. In it's place, i'll modify and fit a Pansonic plasma screen instead. I'll mount the driver's seat in the middle of the car. I'll have the subwoofer beneath the seat while the other speakers will be mounted in each corner of the cabin.

I'll then proceed to install modified brackets for mounting the Fanatec wheel and pedals.
The 360 will be placed near the passenger side foot well and all associated shit along with it.
Now here's the interactive part...I will place 2 pedestal fans on either side of the front windows. I'll get my wife on one and my son on the other. Everytime I accelerate or decelerate, they will adjust the speed of the fans depending on the situation.... this will simulate the wind in my hair perfectly!

Watevaman said:

I don't understand why people would sell the system, it's cheaper just to keep it for that few games you want to play instead of rebuying it. This is especially true in current gen where price drops are far and few. (360 still the same price when I bought it in 2007, granted it has more hd space and wifi now, not to mention "removal" of RROD feature).

I understand having system preference, I game mostly on 360, but I still kept my 60gb PS3 for GT5 and many of the system exclusives.

Anyway, you can pick up 360 4gb model for net of $150.00 (with the gift card that you can use to buy Forza 4 with)

I'm making some 3D blueprints in max and can't decide if I want to go with three 21-22" screens or a large single 32" and save a little money not buying more consoles, today's tv prices really makes it tempting.

skyfinch said:
Instead of buying 2 more screens, I am going to put 2 mirrors on either side of my TV. I will even put my phone under my butt and have someone call me while I play. It will stimulate....I mean, "simulate" the vibrations of the road.

I will post my setup real soon.
Go for the most ghetto setup award, will look awesome!

Mascot

saladine1 said:
I plan on turning a real car into my game room. What I'll do is, take a 1980's BMW and delete the windscreen. In it's place, i'll modify and fit a Pansonic plasma screen instead. I'll mount the driver's seat in the middle of the car. I'll have the subwoofer beneath the seat while the other speakers will be mounted in each corner of the cabin.

I'll then proceed to install modified brackets for mounting the Fanatec wheel and pedals.
The 360 will be placed near the passenger side foot well and all associated shit along with it.
Now here's the interactive part...I will place 2 pedestal fans on either side of the front windows. I'll get my wife on one and my son on the other. Everytime I accelerate or decelerate, they will adjust the speed of the fans depending on the situation.... this will simulate the wind in my hair perfectly!

This dude is one door ahead of you, but I reckon you can catch him.

*soft edit* Saladine, this is the one for you: a race cockpit based on an Aussie V8 Supercar.

Watevaman

soundscream said:
Why?

Besides a few games the 360 version is usually better.

Because I've owned my PS3 since '08 and didn't want to double dip on everything, especially console games.

antiquegamer said:
I don't understand why people would sell the system, it's cheaper just to keep it for that few games you want to play instead of rebuying it. This is especially true in current gen where price drops are far and few. (360 still the same price when I bought it in 2007, granted it has more hd space and wifi now, not to mention "removal" of RROD feature).

I understand having system preference, I game mostly on 360, but I still kept my 60gb PS3 for GT5 and many of the system exclusives.

Anyway, you can pick up 360 4gb model for net of $150.00 (with the gift card that you can use to buy Forza 4 with)

I wasn't planning on Forza 4 coming out.

Mascot

Doodis said:
If any of you have 1,000 in-game credits to spare, would you mind buying a tune-up from me? I'm trying to get as many Forza 3 achievements as possible before 4 comes out, and I need Entrepreneur.

I only have one tune setup in my storefront, and it's a drift setup that I found online. It may not be the greatest, but 1,000 credits is the lowest you can ask for.

Gamertag = Les Doodis

Thank you, kind soul, whoever you are.

Been trying to hook you up but can't for the life of me work out how to search by gamertag.
I go "buy tuning setup" then search "Les Doodis" but nothing.
I'd forgotten just how frustrating the Storefront menus are in FM3.
Anyone any ideas?

saladine1

2rQ4w.jpg

Surely they didn't model the pass just so it could be used as a backdrop did they?
Would be such a shame if they did...

Doodis

Mascot said:
Been trying to hook you up but can't for the life of me work out how to search by gamertag.
Anyone any ideas?
Hmm, yeah, the menus are pretty confusing. I've actually never purchased a tune setup either so I don't know how to go about it. The setup is called "Drifter" if that helps?

Thanks for trying to help me out.

Mascot

saladine1 said:
Surely they didn't model the pass just so it could be used as a backdrop did they?
Would be such a shame if they did...

It would be a nice novelty but a useless racing track, I reckon. Maybe the drift mob could find some use for it.

skyfinch

Mascot said:
Anyone any ideas?

Add Doodis to your friend's list. You can then search this storefront.

TheOddOne

antiquegamer said:

Same. I don't kneejerk reaction sell stuff, I keep my stuff.

Mascot

Doodis said:
Hmm, yeah, the menus are pretty confusing. I've actually never purchased a tune setup either so I don't know how to go about it. The setup is called "Drifter" if that helps?

Thanks for trying to help me out.

Ah, found it and bought one. Hope the cheeve unlocks, 'cos it said two had already been sold..?

mblitek

saladine1 said:
It would make for a nice tarmac stage as well I reckon.

Certainly! There's a good track like that in GT5 but gravel in places. I prefer these narrow road "tracks" as a nice change of pace. To me it feels like a different kind of fun, the fun of taking a supercar out on a public road. Not that I have one in real life :)

Looking forward to more updates!

The new madcatz wheel which we have seen lately with the swapped side gear stick and force feedback, is it actually out now or later? finding it hard to search for any info on it without constantly getting results on their old 2007 wheel.

sneaky77

Diablohead said:
The new madcatz wheel which we have seen lately with the swapped side gear stick and force feedback, is it actually out now or later? finding it hard to search for any info on it without constantly getting results on their old 2007 wheel.

is not out yet

Xanadu

Banned
so glad they fixed the cockpit view this time around

i dont know what they were thinking last time around, it was really bad

Doodis

Mascot said:
Ah, found it and bought one. Hope the cheeve unlocks, 'cos it said two had already been sold..?
So, um, anyone know why the Entrepreneur achievement wouldn't unlock? I sold three tuning setups (thanks Mascot) and collected my money, but got no achievement. :(

EDIT: Nevermind, read that it's a glitch and you have to keep pressing "receive credits." Achievement unlocked.

Mascot

Diablohead said:
Before I hit the hay, one of my stupid overdone racing setup ideas lol

Diablohead, have you had a good scan through that site I linked to a couple of pages ago (The Way I Play)? It's a great source of inspiration, and some people actually post construction plans and details of component suppliers for their rigs. Well worth a look if you are planning your own, even if it's only to thrash some ideas around.

Looking forward to seeing how your project develops. Keep us updated!

Mascot

Anyone see Top Gear tonight? I think they might have inserted a couple of cheeky autovista snippets of the MP4-12C in with the review of the car. I've watched it about four times now and still can't decide.

I'm sure the full-car shot of it was actually in one of McLaren's white rooms (which looked so so similar to the white autovista warehouse we know and love) but some of the close-ups looked to be taken from the game. (I'm heading down to the McLaren Technology Centre for a meeting this week so I'll see if I can find anyone to ask).

Hell, I don't know. But it speaks volumes about FM4's visuals that they are pretty much indistinguishable from real life despite repeated viewings and careful analysis.

*edit* looking for a YouTube clip but don't think it's been uploaded yet.
*edit 2* grabbed some crappy off-screen photos. You need to see the slow pans in motion to get the full autovista-style effect, but you'll hopefully see what I mean about the environment. It certainly looks more like autovista in full motion than in these static photos.

IMGP0359.jpg

IMGP0354.jpg

IMGP0356.jpg

IMGP0357.jpg

IMGP0358.jpg

IMGP0360.jpg

IMGP0361.jpg

Doodis

Mascot said:
Hell, I don't know. But it speaks volumes about FM4's visuals that they are pretty much indistinguishable from real life despite repeated viewings and careful analysis.

Indeed. I plan on spending a bunch of time in autovista before I even get to any racing. It's amazing how incredible everything looks.

skyfinch

Don't think those are autovista. The holes in the brake discs are textured on in autovista. If I am wrong, I'll eat TheOddOne's other shoe.

That car has better self shadows and ambient occlusion then any car in the forza universe, it's just similar that's all.

The image of the rear exhaust up close is real, no game is that detailed or have that kind of plastic filter realism yet.

turn10 modellers don't understand that a grill needs to have shadows too.

Mascot

LOL, you're probably all right.

But I say GODDAMN, when you see the slow pans across the headlights and taillights with the white warehouse background, it just SCREAMS autovista at you on first viewings. Some of the other shots, not so convincing. The tyres are clearly Pirelli branded, for one thing.

Be a great marketing coup if T10 did reveal next week that the headlight pans WERE inserted from autovista and nobody noticed the difference..!

Top Bottom