• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - The Floodgates Have Opened...

Is it bad that I preordered and payed part on a Forza 4 CE without owning a 360? LOL

I got rid of my old elite last year, I knew this day would come though. I loved Forza 3 to death and told myself I could resist. Well I am not strong enough apparently and will be ordering a slim soon.

Snkfanatic said:
Is it bad that I preordered and payed part on a Forza 4 CE without owning a 360? LOL

I got rid of my old elite last year, I knew this day would come though. I loved Forza 3 to death and told myself I could resist. Well I am not strong enough apparently and will be ordering a slim soon.
I'd wait a bit for the 360 as I bet we'll see a price drop. Or snag one when you see the $100 gift card sales since you got some time.

Mascot

flyinpiranha said:
I'd wait a bit for the 360 as I bet we'll see a price drop. Or snag one when you see the $100 gift card sales since you got some time.
...or wait to see if there's a FM4 bundle maybe?

flyinpiranha said:

Ah nice, ya I think I will wait till the middle of September or so.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
If Porsche isn't in the game, can I at least have the Fiat 500 Abarth esseesse that appeared in Forza 3? It'll do until the real Abarth hits America in 2012 and gives the GTI and Mini Cooper S some serious competition in the pocket rocket segment.

And then the Focus ST hits the US shortly thereafter, and hot hatch fans will have a wealth of choices here. :D

twinturbo2 said:
If Porsche isn't in the game, can I at least have the Fiat 500 Abarth esseesse that appeared in Forza 3? It'll do until the real Abarth hits America in 2012 and gives the GTI and Mini Cooper S some serious competition in the pocket rocket segment.

And then the Focus ST hits the US shortly thereafter, and hot hatch fans will have a wealth of choices here. :D

Ah man I can't wait to see the Abarths here. I have a GTI right now and will seriously consider ditching it for a Abarth it they don't screw with it to much.

Mascot said:
...or wait to see if there's a FM4 bundle maybe?

Those usually wouldn't come with the LE and he mentioned that's what he pre-ordered. If there is an LE bundle then yeah, jump on that ... but I honestly think with the $100 gift cards and such he could get the system and LE for cheaper than a bundle.

NeoGIF

They've finally put up the E3 direct-feed trailer on the Marketplace. Of course, I had to download it and watch it all over again. :)

shinnn

They've changed one scene in the trailer. The Lexus cockpit part now has a Mclaren and shows a RUF (?).

142h8g5.jpg

fl-ruf-fgt-8-004_gallery_image_large.jpg

Trailer
http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/media/video.aspx

edit: the exausts looks like a Porsche and the spoilers looks like a RUF.. lol

G Rom

They also fixed the shadows glitches in the Autovista parts that were already in the leaked trailer.
Also, notice in you screenshot where the sun is compared to the IGN footage. The environment shadows seem identical though...
pR2yF.jpg

Xanadu

Banned
G Rom said:
They also fixed the shadows glitches in the Autovista parts that were already in the leaked trailer.
Also, notice in you screenshot where the sun is compared to the IGN footage. The environment shadows seem identical though...
http://i.imgur.com/pR2yF.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

could be the different time of day they were talking about

G Rom

That black spoiler seems to come from the RGT-8 but the rear bumper looks like a Turbo S one. Turn 10 trolling us with aftermarket parts on a stock Porsche ?

What I find odd is that they changed this shot specifically and that prior to that, there were no RUFs or cars that look like Porsche in the trailer. Some would say that it's in line with the license nightmare we know of...

I want to believe (lack of Porsche is probably my main grip with the game right now) but I don't want to be disappointed either so I won't hype myself.

Some people think it could be the 2011 RUF RT Spyder :
drives_2011-ruf-rt-roadster_th1.jpg

Edit : With the roof obviously.
2011-ruf-rt-roadster-img01_gallery_image_large.jpg

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
By the lord, I can't imagine what I will be doing in a few months besides salivating over all my acquired trophies..

RUF RT Spyder or Turbo S lol... Fuck can't tell...

G Rom

Just a heads up to french NeoGAF. Pre-order options are now known and it seems the collector will be available everywhere.

- La BMW 1 Series M Coupe sera disponible chez Carrefour
- La MINI John Cooper Works Clubman sera disponible à la Fnac et sur Fnac.com
- L'Alfa Romeo Giulietta Quadrifoglio Verde sera disponible à Micromania et sur Micromania.fr
- La Subaru Impreza WRX STI se disponible sur Amazon.fr
- La Honda CR-Z EX sera disponible sur Game.fr

Looks like I'll be able to escape the usual Micromania or GAME rape...
Hopefully FNAC, Amazon and Carrefour will have nice pre-order/day 1 prices.

user_nat said:
Don't see why not. Will come in handy for lap time comparisons.
Lap time comparisons would be nice, yeah, but we shouldn't bother without Porsche. It's not like I could show you how my cars would roflstomp your lowly Porsches.

Doodis

I would love to drive your cars around. :)

I'm also happy to be relegated to the role of slowest racer in all matches so that nobody else feels like a loser.

Doodis

I've pre-ordered the wireless wheel and I'm pretty excited for it. I don't have the room for a mounted wheel or the finances to spend on one, so the wireless wheel offers a great alternative for someone like me.

supersaw

That air wheel thing seems like the most unergonomical controller in the world, your hands will tire after a few laps. I'd prefer the standard controller to that.

Doodis

supersaw said:
That air wheel thing seems like the most unergonomical controller in the world, your hands will tire after a few laps. I'd prefer the standard controller to that.
If you watch the video, he says you don't have to hold it up in the air. You can rest your arms on your legs or the wheel on your lap or whatever. But yes, fatigue could be a concern. Guess we'll see.

supersaw

Doodis said:
If you watch the video, he says you don't have to hold it up in the air. You can rest your arms on your legs or the wheel on your lap or whatever. But yes, fatigue could be a concern. Guess we'll see.

Hopefully it's not too bad and provides you with some extra immersion, I feel for the people that don't have the room/budget for clamped wheels, I've always found the standard controls to be really well tuned in the forza games though and played a lot of forza 2 & 3 with just the standard controller.

Shaneus

Sorry for the bump, but HOLY SHIT just had the best idea. If there's a possibility of a night mode or even an dawn-to-dusk race, perhaps the option to race for a certain period of time (or laps, or until the next pit) then upload the progress to a cloud so a friend in your car club can "change drivers" with you (but give a buffer of a day or two to pick it up) and continue the race until *they* pit... then someone picks up the baton again.

Could be a great way to simulate something like Le Mans 24hr or the Bathurst 1000 without it becoming boring or reduced drastically in time.

supersaw

Shaneus said:
Sorry for the bump, but HOLY SHIT just had the best idea. If there's a possibility of a night mode or even an dawn-to-dusk race, perhaps the option to race for a certain period of time (or laps, or until the next pit) then upload the progress to a cloud so a friend in your car club can "change drivers" with you (but give a buffer of a day or two to pick it up) and continue the race until *they* pit... then someone picks up the baton again.

Could be a great way to simulate something like Le Mans 24hr or the Bathurst 1000 without it becoming boring or reduced drastically in time.

Something like that would be quite cool, the endurance races were some of my favorite in the past games. You really get to know a track when you do 20+ consecutive laps on it.

Shaneus

supersaw said:
Something like that would be quite cool, the endurance races were some of my favorite in the past games. You really get to know a track when you do 20+ consecutive laps on it.
Yeah, I just like the idea of doing something like that as close to realism as possible whilst involving friends at the same time *and* removing the tedium of doing it by yourself.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Damn. I really want to get a wheel for this but am in the middle of getting ready to emigrate so can't really buy anything bulky until that's done!

Will still pre-order the CE I think, it looks more than worth it.

supersaw

thelatestmodel said:
Damn. I really want to get a wheel for this but am in the middle of getting ready to emigrate so can't really buy anything bulky until that's done!

Will still pre-order the CE I think, it looks more than worth it.

Fanatec will be releasing Forza branded wheels and new, cheaper, aluminium pedals, I'd keep my eyes open for those if I were you, with any luck the entry level wheel will be cheaper than the GT2 counterpart.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
supersaw said:
Fanatec will be releasing Forza branded wheels and new, cheaper, aluminium pedals, I'd keep my eyes open for those if I were you, with any luck the entry level wheel will be cheaper than the GT2 counterpart.

Sweet, Fanatec was one option I was considering. Will keep my eyes peeled, thanks!

Is it crazy that I'd pay 100 bucks for G27 compatibility on the Xbox 360? And no, I'm not talking about that XCM converter, but something that actually works.

Mascot

supersaw said:

All the Forza branding and labelled buttons (ABXY) strongly suggests to me that the new wheels won't be multi-format, which was a major draw of the GT2 for me. I can't emphasise just how wonderful it is not to have to swap wheels when flipping between FM3 & GT5. It sounds minor and only takes a few minutes but the convenience of it all is like manna from heaven.

Plus, one wheel (even an expensive one) is cheaper than two.

supersaw

brotkasten said:
Is it crazy that I'd pay 100 bucks for G27 compatibility on the Xbox 360? And no, I'm not talking about that XCM converter, but something that actually works.

Not crazy at all there are many others I've seen both in the Forza and Logitech forums, I just bit the bullet and bought a GT2 and Forza is the only racing game I play on the xbox, everything else is pc sims.

G Rom

So, looks like Bernese Alps will be one of the track with alternate time of day :
jZCLP.jpg

I ignored the leaked trailer and only took direct-feed E3 footage for this analysis.

I also stumbled upon this old interview yesterday :
IGN said:
IGN: Sixty frames per second--will it happen? High frame rates are especially good for certain genres, racing being one of them, but will the pressures to up polygon counts and dazzle with special effects keep Forza 2 from running at 60 FPS?

Dan Greenawalt : The Xbox 360 was new hardware last Holiday. The development community has learned a ton about optimizing the power on the box since then. Forza Motorsport 2 is currently running at 60fps with 12 high-poly cars, far superior shaders and higher texture resolution. Truth be told, creating a beautiful game for the next-gen consoles is less and less about the poly counts. Getting the next-gen look is all about shaders, texture resolution and texture tricks such as normal mapping.

Well, it only took them 2 games after FM2 to start executing that vision... :lol

Betty Swallox

Neo Member
Mascot said:
All the Forza branding and labelled buttons (ABXY) strongly suggests to me that the new wheels won't be multi-format, which was a major draw of the GT2 for me. I can't emphasise just how wonderful it is not to have to swap wheels when flipping between FM3 & GT5. It sounds minor and only takes a few minutes but the convenience of it all is like manna from heaven.

Plus, one wheel (even an expensive one) is cheaper than two.

The CSR and CSR Elite are both multiplatform -

http://www.911wheel.de/?q=node/5907

"Submitted by Thomas on Thu, 06/09/2011 - 01:24.

I am proud to announce that Fanatec is making the official racing wheels for Forza Motorsport.

http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/Forza4_Wheels/

We will expand our product range with several new products of our new CSR line of products:

•Forza Motorsport CSR wheel
•Forza Motorsport CSR Elite wheel
•CSR shifter set
•CSR pedals
•CSR Elite pedals
The CSR line is positioned between the Porsche wheel line and the ClubSport line of products.

Both new wheels are multiplatform and come with improved force feedback technology...."

It's official!

Mascot

Betty Swallox said:
The CSR and CSR Elite are both multiplatform -

http://www.911wheel.de/?q=node/5907

"Submitted by Thomas on Thu, 06/09/2011 - 01:24.

I am proud to announce that Fanatec is making the official racing wheels for Forza Motorsport.

http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/Forza4_Wheels/

We will expand our product range with several new products of our new CSR line of products:

•Forza Motorsport CSR wheel
•Forza Motorsport CSR Elite wheel
•CSR shifter set
•CSR pedals
•CSR Elite pedals
The CSR line is positioned between the Porsche wheel line and the ClubSport line of products.

Both new wheels are multiplatform and come with improved force feedback technology...."

It's official!

I'm amazed. The buttons are clearly permanently marked with Xbox legends on the CSR. The GT2 gets around this with buttons that illuminate with different legends depending what console/PC you are using. How does the CSR get around this?

Maybe by 'multiplatform' they mean "360 and PC", not "360 and PS3".

supersaw said:

I believe in an interview they said the new wheels would be priced between $320-700 but there is no concrete information as some of that pricing info was pulled from some articles I was reading around the E3 announcement.

The original announcement I think was this:

Forza Motorsport CSR wheel
Forza Motorsport CSR Elite wheel
CSR shifter set
CSR pedals
CSR Elite pedals

Both new wheels are multiplatform and come with improved force feedback technology.

The CSR Elite wheel has an entirely new base which will bring realism to a new level as the full metal construction allow extremely precise FF sensations and the new DirectSensor technology will allow a much more precise steering control than on any other wheel which has the sensor mounted on the motor.

It is similar to digital cameras. You can have 12 MP but it means nothing if the lense is no good. If the sensor is monted on the motor you will have the slack and interference of the whole belt drive system which destroys any high resolution you might have.

The CSR shifter is made with a knob fully made of metal but unlike the Clubsport shifter it is not fully made of metal. We made it less noisy as well.

All new products will be available by the end of the year although development is not finihed yet so I cannot give an exact date.

We will keep our fully modular ordering system so the pricing depends on the options you take. It will range between 320 and 700 for a set with pedals.

More info to come...

Then it seemed to be updated to this:

Debuting today at E3 2011 in the Forza Motorsport 4 section of the Xbox booth are two new Forza Motorsport-branded wheel coming from Fanatec: the “Forza Motorsport CSR” and the “Forza Motorsport CSR Elite.” Both wheels are designed to offer an incredible driving experience for Forza Motorsport 4 fans. Here are a few highlights of both wheels:

CSR:
Improved force feedback electronics and mechanics make the wheel stronger and faster
Metal CSR shifter set and large metal paddle shifters make shifting gears easier than ever
Lightweight aluminum wheel rim with Alcantara inserts allow faster, more responsive turns

CSR-Elite:
Wheel base fully made of metal with carbon fiber and Alcantara wheel rim
DirectSensor™ technology with sensor mounted directly on the steering axis. This avoids all the interference and performance loss you get from the belt/gear drive found on traditional motor-mounted sensor systems
Dual force feedback motors with 120Watt (silent big fan cooling) and very low cogging force to avoid “notchy” feeling

Pricing, availability, and additional details for both the Forza Motorsport CSR and the CSR Elite will be announced later this year.

While the CSR line of Fanatec wheels are meant for the serious racers in the Forza universe, we’ve got the more casual fans covered as well. Also arriving later this year is the upcoming “Wireless Speed Wheel” for Xbox 360. As the name implies, the Speed Wheel is a completely wireless controller designed for intuitive control and precise steering. The U-shaped design features standard controller buttons and haptic feedback with rumble. You don’t need Kinect to play with the Speed Wheel—it uses the same wireless signal as a standard Xbox wireless controller and is a good option for casual racers who value pure fun over setting lap records. The Wireless Speed Wheel will be available for $59.99 (U.S. ERP) and will ship to retailers worldwide beginning September 26, 2011.

Finally you can also expect new wheels from Madcatz that will also be compatible with Forza 4, including a force-feedback model that will cost $230 and a less expensive option as well.

But again, it was all the hoopla surrounding E3 so who knows if those numbers are concrete.

I can say if the MadCatz option is $230 as the "less expensive option" you can count on the Fanatec wheels (who might not be directly produced by them according to speculation) will be more expensive.

I was going to wait myself, but them getting GT2s in stock was too good to pass up, now I just need me some Clubsport pedals!

I do believe in that strange interview with the ISR lady that they said it is crossplatform but don't quote me on that.

Mascot said:
I'm amazed. The buttons are clearly permanently marked with Xbox legends on the CSR. The GT2 gets around this with buttons that illuminate with different legends depending what console/PC you are using. How does the CSR get around this?

Maybe by 'multiplatform' they mean "360 and PC", not "360 and PS3".

Well, to be honest the Carrera didn't have button markers at all and it worked on the PS3 and PC. So I honestly don't think that's a big indicator.

Mascot

G Rom said:
So, looks like Bernese Alps will be one of the track with alternate time of day :

I ignored the leaked trailer and only took direct-feed E3 footage for this analysis.

Great spot G Rom - looks pretty conclusive. Incredible that nobody else noticed..!

Did they have the different times of day running on different ribbons?

*edit* I hope the different times of day generally have more effect on the ambience and mood of the visuals than is shown here. This Alpine example just seems to show the whole track rotated with the sun in a different place but overall lighting effects looking almost identical.

supersaw said:
Not crazy at all there are many others I've seen both in the Forza and Logitech forums, I just bit the bullet and bought a GT2 and Forza is the only racing game I play on the xbox, everything else is pc sims.
The GT2 wasn't an option for me, because I got the G27 for a pretty good price (230). Looks like I have to stick with the pad for Forza. It's not like there are other options.

Oh, right ...

vettel.gif

:lol

Betty Swallox

Neo Member
The latest CSR pricing, is according to the two Mr Ts, 320 USD/Euros for the CSR + pedals, 500 for a stand-alone CSR Elite and 700 for the Elite and a pedal set. Which pedals he means by this is still to be confirmed, it could be the newly revised plastic Standards or the new CSRs, which are looking pretty tasty with an inversion kit to be available (for each individual pedal no less!).

I'm pretty sure that mutiplatform refers to Xbox, PS3 and PC as Thomas normally lets us know if that's not the case. I'm sure he will try and sell us some 'ClubSport PS3 Button Stickers' at very reasonable (ClubSport) price anyway.

Mascot

skyfinch said:
Is gaf going to have a car club?

I'd be all over this. My tunes are abysmal but you'd all be welcome to my liveries, and if I end up farming cash in FM4 like I did (do) in FM3 I'll be buying every car available.

By the way, only got about four events to go now to completely gold the career grid in FM3. That shit better get rewarded well in FM4 or I'm having Dan's goolies in a bacon slicer.

Top Bottom