• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - The Floodgates Have Opened...

I recorded and just watched Top Gear on BBC HD, even though it does look eerily like Autovista, there's zero aliasing. 100% real but maybe a nod to Forza in there somewhere.

Shame I can't just use print screen to grab some shots.

TheOddOne

Nah, its not Autovista.

Kcawj.jpg

su5xl.jpg

fk3hK.jpg

lT64Q.jpg

lJKly.jpg

I wish they make something like Halo Waypoint for Forza. So I can go back and compare all the cars I've collected over the past 2 games. Compare vehicle stats with friends. See a unified racing times for all tracks on a global scale. It's a wish, but make it true TURN 10!

I hate how racing games handle their release of information. Only racing games are you drip feed little nuggets about what the fuck is going to be in their games. I know everything that is going to be in Gears of War 3 and it hasn't killed my excitement for the game.

Shaneus

soundscream said:
I hate how racing games handle their release of information. Only racing games are you drip feed little nuggets about what the fuck is going to be in their games. I know everything that is going to be in Gears of War 3 and it hasn't killed my excitement for the game.
All sports games do this, not just racing games. That's because there's no story to hold back like Gears or Halo has so they need to keep anticipation high in another way.

They're doing a better job than PD though... better to trickle feed than hold back almost all info until the last minute.

Shaneus said:
All sports games do this, not just racing games. That's because there's no story to hold back like Gears or Halo has so they need to keep anticipation high in another way.

They're doing a better job than PD though... better to trickle feed than hold back almost all info until the last minute.

Well those games are yearly with no real major changes, aside from a couple new features and new player stats.

Even releasing pics of 5 cars a week would be an improvement.

DasRaven

sneaky77 said:
is this BBC America or is not on there yet? I have it set to record new top gear eps but didnt record anything

This is the original airings on BBC in the UK available @ FinalGear.com.
Series 17 starts on BBC America (and HD) on Aug 22nd.

soundscream said:

That's more or less how it was with FM3, and I'm assuming the same will be true of FM4 when the reveals start next week (fingers crossed; I don't have the means to reliably check the alignment of the planets).

I don't mind a slow trickle of information as long as it's consistent.

Shaneus

soundscream said:
Well those games are yearly with no real major changes, aside from a couple new features and new player stats.

Yeah, I see what you mean... but I know there's a method to their madness. We already know a fair amount about the game from E3 anyway so that's enough to keep me going until their next drop of hot scoops.

supersaw

Mascot said:
LOL, you're probably all right.

But I say GODDAMN, when you see the slow pans across the headlights and taillights with the white warehouse background, it just SCREAMS autovista at you on first viewings. Some of the other shots, not so convincing. The tyres are clearly Pirelli branded, for one thing.

Be a great marketing coup if T10 did reveal next week that the headlight pans WERE inserted from autovista and nobody noticed the difference..!

Hopefully they do some cross promotion as we get closer to release, I liked the episode when Jeremy tries to beat his Gran Turismo time on Laguna Seca with a real NSX.

lord pie

I can imaging those top gear sequences are autovista, just not realtime.

However I'm not willing to say with certainty. There are elements that are suggesting they are rendered, and elements suggesting they are real (or at least raytraced, like early F4 autovista shots).

There are two main things that are troubling me, first is that I see no evidence of the camera being reflected in the car - and the shadows on the wheel are messing with me a bit. However both can be explained by top gear being exceptionally well produced and filmed - and the nature of the materials.

LQX

Seeing the real pictures posted up top and then seeing those screen snaps from the game is jarring as they almost make them look ugly. I just cant unsee who bad the road and floor textures now look. Delete the real pics.

Xanadu

Banned
bathala said:
game looks good
http://i53.tinypic.com/fwu68m.jpg[/IM]
[IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/2wf4ep0.jpg[/IM]
[IMG]http://i56.tinypic.com/rix7pl.jpg[/IM][/QUOTE]
yes Photomode looks good

eso76

TheOddOne said:
Nah, its not Autovista.

so it's real ?
i'm not sure, i don't want to launch photoshop to point out those spots where reflections are oddly wrapped around polys as opposed to how they would look on a smooth curved surface.

If it is well, i guess so much for those who claimed reflections were overdone in autovista.

Actually though it's probably a render ?
hard to tell from the pics but if it was real you should see the camera reflected on the car in some of the pics.

eso76

Diablohead said:
turn10 modellers don't understand that a grill needs to have shadows too.

i am rather sure turn10 modelers know a lot more about modelling than most people on gaf, but they also understand that if they had every piece of the car cast a shadow that would kill the framerate. Grills especially would need a rather high res shadow map to look convincing, so it's probably better they removed them altogether; i really don't want low res, flickering shadows with render issues around in my Forza.

also

saladine1 said:

where does this come from ?
Hadn't seen this before.

bathala said:
game looks good
fwu68m.jpg

2wf4ep0.jpg

rix7pl.jpg
It looks fantastic but if we get high compressed image exporting again then forget about it, worst fucking thing they could have done with forza 3 and they did it, probably forced by microsoft :/

At least allow VIP members to export in super high quality if bandwidth limited, come on now turn10 fight the good fight harder.

eso76 said:
i am rather sure turn10 modelers know a lot more about modelling than most people on gaf, but they also understand that if they had every piece of the car cast a shadow that would kill the framerate. Grills especially would need a rather high res shadow map to look convincing, so it's probably better they removed them altogether; i really don't want low res, flickering shadows with render issues around in my Forza.
I can agree with that fully but in photomode it should be fine, what I mean is not the grill itself making X like shadows over everything but the lip over the grill should be casting a shadow on to the grill metal itself, some screens lack that and like missing wheel arch self shadowing it ruins the realism shot.

Maybe they could bake it on but the grill texture is most likely a small texture looped 20 times, baking would not work in that method.

samus4ever said:
I wish they make something like Halo Waypoint for Forza. So I can go back and compare all the cars I've collected over the past 2 games. Compare vehicle stats with friends. See a unified racing times for all tracks on a global scale. It's a wish, but make it true TURN 10!

^^THIS^^

I've been saying the exact same thing since FORZA 3 released. It doesn't have to be nearly as deep as Waypoint but it would be great for hilighting things like photos, livery designs, replays from races etc., etc., etc.. It would also work as advertising for the game itself.

Diablohead said:
It looks fantastic but if we get high compressed image exporting again then forget about it, worst fucking thing they could have done with forza 3 and they did it, probably forced by microsoft :/

At least allow VIP members to export in super high quality if bandwidth limited, come on now turn10 fight the good fight harder.

Yep, I didn't even bother with pics once I found out that you couldn't export it in a decent looking image. I want to use my pics as wallpaper and actually look at the great details.

TheOddOne

eso76 said:
so it's real ?
i'm not sure, i don't want to launch photoshop to point out those spots where reflections are oddly wrapped around polys as opposed to how they would look on a smooth curved surface.

If it is well, i guess so much for those who claimed reflections were overdone in autovista.

Actually though it's probably a render ?
hard to tell from the pics but if it was real you should see the camera reflected on the car in some of the pics.
Yeah, its real. Next generation maby.

shinnn

new BADNED sig (HMA285) is hinting at Hyundai Veloster. It's the same model as the rally car sighted at Forza Party. Maybe just a coincidence.

21m7045.jpg

bzbx4.jpg

saladine1

Yeah, it's looking more and more likely that FM4 will have some form of rallying. I can just picture the announcements:

Fans-"We want rally"
Greenawalt- "We have rally bitches!"
Fans- "We want weather"
Greenawalt- "Weather? Here you go bitches!"
Fans- "We want naked grid chicks"
Greenwalt- "WTF?"

saladine1

Slayer-33 said:
I want Forza 4 now god dammit aghhh this shit is killing me.
Their plan has worked brilliantly. Announce the game, show a few features....then starve the shit out of us until we become like freaking crack whore junkies!

"Heeyy maaaan, got any FM4 info for us today maaann?"

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
saladine1 said:
Their plan has worked brilliantly. Announce the game, show a few features....then starve the shit out of us until we become like freaking crack whore junkies!

"Heeyy maaaan, got any FM4 info for us today maaann?"

I really like how they are doing this from a business standpoint, this shit is going to blow our minds when we get to the core of everything.

TheOddOne

Slayer-33 said:
I really like how they are doing this from a business standpoint, this shit is going to blow our minds when we get to the core of everything.
Fuck business standpoint, GIVE ME INFO OR GIVE ME DEATH.

Xanadu said:
in game looks worse..fact. lol mad fanboy
Personally I thank you for taking the effort to point out that it was photomode. I thought the second pic was a screenshot from a live race on a really really small indoor track.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Xanadu said:

Just like any racing game rite?

The game looks great judging from the vids so I don't see your point to pointing out the obvious.

:lol

Xanadu said:

Well screen tearing, cars with no cock pits, cars with models imported from the last gen and in game shadows that look like they were done with a t-square and a 5 year wait would certainly make me mad. Dont worry I'm sure you will get your next game some time this decade.......maybe.

eso76

shinnn said:

hmm...in the large picture it doesn't look like that road is fully modeled, especially the hills around it look like a bitmap. I am afraid that's not a real track, which is unfortunate since that's the sexiest road i've seen in a racing game.

Also, i'm sure that mc laren isn't forza, but real life ? i don't know, looks a little off, and i was expecting to see the camera reflecting on the car in some of the pics.

But i have to reiterate, if it's real, those who claimed reflections were overdone in that autovista environment should think again !

Also, Hyundai veloster is almost certainly in the game, but the game needs to feature this:

citroen-ds4.jpg

pretty sure it will anyway

Xanadu

Banned
soundscream said:
Well screen tearing, cars with no cock pits, cars with models imported from the last gen and in game shadows that look like they were done with a t-square and a 5 year wait would certainly make me mad. Dont worry I'm sure you will get your next game some time this decade.......maybe.
i love my avatar hahaha

h3ro

soundscream said:

Come on, I expect more from a member of Best-GAF. You're better than this.

G Rom

eso76 said:
hmm...in the large picture it doesn't look like that road is fully modeled, especially the hills around it look like a bitmap. I am afraid that's not a real track, which is unfortunate since that's the sexiest road i've seen in a racing game.

Also, i'm sure that mc laren isn't forza, but real life ? i don't know, looks a little off, and i was expecting to see the camera reflecting on the car in some of the pics.

But i have to reiterate, if it's real, those who claimed reflections were overdone in that autovista environment should think again !

Also, Hyundai veloster is almost certainly in the game, but the game needs to feature this:

citroen-ds4.jpg

pretty sure it will anyway

Yeah, I hope the DS4 (the Racing version is supposed to be out later this year IIRC) and some of the recent Citroën concepts make it in the game like the Survolt and even though I'm not really a fan of its saber blade, the DS5 needs to be in the game for its jaw dropping interior :
2011-citroen-ds5-2_800x0w.jpg

Wouldn't mind having the original DS in Autovista now that I think about it... :)

test_account

XP-39C²
dragonelite said:
ooh shit bail time to make the forza4 vs gt5 thread ?
Those interior shots are from the auto vista mode, so it wouldnt be a too fair comparison to compare it to GT5's in-game model, in my opinion. Looks amazing regardless of being auto vista mode though :)

EDIT: If it was the interior shots that you're refering to.

amar212

dragonelite said:
ooh shit bail time to make the forza4 vs gt5 thread ?

I know it have to be done.

I am aware there is no other way to keep the trolling out of the OP.

But it would be such a beautiful world if we could live without that crap.

I just wish that everybody have enough money to buy both damn games and both damn platforms and Fanatec GT2 and to enjoy them mutually for what they are - instead of what the other game is.

Xanadu

Banned
h3ro said:
Come on, I expect more from a member of Best-GAF. You're better than this.
its funny because ive owned every forza game and didnt even enjoy GT5 but because i said something that isnt positive and have this avatar..it brings the out the fanboys

Xanadu said:
its funny because ive owned every forza game and didnt even enjoy GT5 but because i said something that isnt positive and have this avatar..it brings the out the fanboys

Actually it's not the avatar nor the "negative" comment. It was the absolute obvious nature of the comment that you obviously stated just trying to troll an otherwise decent thread. Maybe you should go mention there are guns in the MW3 thread.

Not a single person here believes that the game will look as good as it does in photomode. That's an idiotic thought. It will look glorious no doubt, but you know, as well as I do that the person that said "game looks good" obviously knew it was photomode.

Keep trying though, you got a couple bites, your time will shine when the GT5 vs F4 shithread comes out.

And OT: I'm playing through Forza 3 again, I got to level 41 last time but I don't remember having any F1 cars in my garage. I see Le Mans style racing cars but are there actual F1 cars in Forza 3? And are there going to be in Forza 4? Am I just blind?

Top Bottom