• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Full DuckTales Cast Announced. David Tennant at Scrooge McDuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
More often than not I agree but Steven Universe has used the format to considerable effect and I just wanted to make sure to rep my colors.

I love steven universe but the more plot focused episodes that are still 11 minutes (story for steven, marble madness, etc. ) feel way too rushed to me. And then there's always conflicts that come to a head at the 10 minute mark and they have to find a quick excuse to end the episode and go back to the status quo (like alone at sea) Its only when they're split into multiple parts that the pacing feels right for me.

eXistor

Oh new Duck Tales? I didn't even know about it. I might give it a watch actually, those images look pretty good.

joms5

Wait..

Are these people all going to be putting on the duck sounding voice for their character or will they just be speaking in their normal voices?

KingDirk

I love steven universe but the more plot focused episodes that are still 11 minutes (story for steven, marble madness, etc. ) feel way too rushed to me. And then there's always conflicts that come to a head at the 10 minute mark and they have to find a quick excuse to end the episode and go back to the status quo (like alone at sea) Its only when they're split into multiple parts that the pacing feels right for me.

That is fair, even if I don't necessarily agree. I feel like the format allows for not needing A or B plots while still allowing peripheral characters to come into their own or give individual moments breathing room they might not otherwise get. Still, SU is the only show where I think that format doesn't necessarily hold it back and I am excited DT will be 21m

Blues1990

As much as I love him as an actor, Tennant's got some really big shoes to fill.

Still, it's great that the voice director had snagged him to play Scrooge McDuck, being that he's as Scottish as they come.

They didn't in the original so... no?

Donald, Huey, Dewey, and Louie had duck voices (with the first less comprehensible than the others), while the others didn't.

Really hoping that there are more Barks and Rosa adaptations, and especially that at least one episode is based on Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck. Perhaps even an adaptation of that story where Magica goes back in time to steal Scrooge's dime right as he gets it, as a sort of lead in.

Jaymageck

That is pretty much perfect.

There is a certain charm in a non-Scotsman playing a Scotsman (this is coming from a Scotsman btw). Hence the appeal of Groundskeeper Wullie. But to replace Alan Young was going to be very difficult, and the charisma and energy that David Tennant brings to a role is about as good as I could hope for while retaining the Scottishness of Scrooge.

I'm glad that Disney seems to know the importance of the theme song, I was worried we'd get some kind of bastardized update and while I still kind of am, the fact that they've used a pretty close-to-original version for the last two teasers makes me feel more at ease.

I wouldn't really mind if they just used the old version again to be honest, or if they did what Walk the Moon did with the Ghostbusters theme and just do a simple but faithful cover.

Really curious to hear Tennant as Scrooge. Is he just gonna be talking normally, or will he attempt to "put on" a voice and imitate Young? I know they try to keep the "Fab 5" as close as possible with their voices but I don't know if Scrooge carries that same kind of stature, despite being voiced by the same guy for ~30 years.

Protome

I'll sit through anything with Tennant in it regardless of quality.
Hell, I sunk hours into Just Cause 3 despite how mediocre it was partially because of his minor role in it.

Berordn

So admittedly I haven't been paying super close attention, but is this the first we've seen of Mrs. Beakley's design? For some reason it resonates with me.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Man, I'd pay to see Danny Pudi and Ben Schwartz have a conversation in character as Abed and Jean-Ralphio.

I like that Huey, Dewey, and Louie will get distinct personalities. It's kind of a sore point in the original that they're basically just one voice with three mouths. And Micucci will certainly be a better Webby than Baby Spoilsport Webby.

So admittedly I haven't been paying super close attention, but is this the first we've seen of Mrs. Beakley's design? For some reason it resonates with me.

Yep, first time I've seen it, and I've been following things pretty closely. I just have no idea who the actress playing her is.

jstripes

Banned
Man, I'd pay to see Danny Pudi and Ben Schwartz have a conversation in character as Abed and Jean-Ralphio.

I like that Huey, Dewey, and Louie will get distinct personalities. It's kind of a sore point in the original that they're basically just one voice with three mouths. And Micucci will certainly be a better Webby than Baby Spoilsport Webby.

Ya, I'm getting a "Go Team Venture!" feel from Huey, Dewey, and Louie.

From the '80s and prior, though, those three have always been identical in terms of personality. That was their thing. Three operating as one.

The real question is how will they do their voices? Are they going to be pitch-shifted up?

wow I didn't know a new ducktales was coming out

I hope Scrooge McDuck makes it to Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite.

As much as I'd love to see Unca-Scrooge pwn Iron Man by dropping the Money Bin at him from orbit, He's not specifically a Marvel characterOHWAITHE'S A CAPCOM CHARACTER HOLY SHIT THIS IS ACTUALLY POSSIBLE.

FSLink

Banned
As much as I'd love to see Unca-Scrooge pwn Iron Man by dropping the Money Bin at him from orbit, He's not specifically a Marvel characterOHWAITHE'S A CAPCOM CHARACTER HOLY SHIT THIS IS ACTUALLY POSSIBLE.
Right? If any Disney character were to be in Marvel vs Capcom I would think Scrooge would be the best pick due to Capcom working on the Duck Tales games.

thefro

Really curious to hear Tennant as Scrooge. Is he just gonna be talking normally, or will he attempt to "put on" a voice and imitate Young? I know they try to keep the "Fab 5" as close as possible with their voices but I don't know if Scrooge carries that same kind of stature, despite being voiced by the same guy for ~30 years.

Tennant will be doing some sort of voice as he doesn't sound like he's 60-80 years old when he's speaking normally.

He won't straight-up imitating Young's Scrooge voice as they wouldn't hire an actor of Tennant's stature to be a sound-alike. However, I do think DT doing a voice that is an older version of himself (or imitating one of his older family members) and being excited and animated is going to sound a lot like Young.

Matticers

Gonna have to hear Tennant's voice as Scrooge before I get all excited. Hopefully it doesn't suck but I have faith it'll be solid.

The show in general has my hopes up. The promotional art looks pretty good. I like how they've referenced the old DuckTales theme multiple times which means they're either going to reuse it or make a new one that sounds very similar. They seem to get why people loved the old cartoon and they're trying to recapture that magic.

But, man, I really want to finally see a trailer and hear their character voices and see the art in motion.

Yep, first time I've seen it, and I've been following things pretty closely. I just have no idea who the actress playing her is.

Only thing I've found in looking at other stuff that she voices a very minor character in Steven Universe, Nanefua (the Pizza family's grandma). That character is pretty awesome in the short time she's given and her old lady voice is on point.

Taelus

Does this mean they're now the "official" voices for these characters like Bill Farmer is for Goofy? Or is it just for this show?

Tagg9

Does this mean they're now the "official" voices for these characters like Bill Farmer is for Goofy? Or is it just for this show?

Definitely just for DuckTales. I'm sure these celebrities are kept busy with their other acting gigs.

I'm really curious about this too. If there's more appearances from Scrooge and the boys in the Mickey Mouse shorts will they use the new voices or will they just stick with John Kassir (Scrooge) and Russi Taylor (the original Huey, Duey, and Louie)? Considering they use a different voice for Mickey in these sorts as opposed to Bret Irwin in everything else, I'd say the latter is more likely.

This is shaping up really well.

Also, this guy is going to make an appearance isn't he? I hate him.

LYTJ2i6.png

Tennant will be doing some sort of voice as he doesn't sound like he's 60-80 years old when he's speaking normally.

He won't straight-up imitating Young's Scrooge voice as they wouldn't hire an actor of Tennant's stature to be a sound-alike. However, I do think DT doing a voice that is an older version of himself (or imitating one of his older family members) and being excited and animated is going to sound a lot like Young.

Gah I can't wait to hear it. I feel like we're gonna get a trailer pretty soon, their hype machine has been powering up lately (new promo art with Launchpad, then the coin teaser, now the voice cast announcement, surely the next step is an actual trailer right?)

Young's Scrooge is one of my top 3 favorite voices/characters of all time, probably even #1. I was super heartbroken when he passed. I love Tennant though I'm really only familiar with him as The Doctor and that remake of Fright Night, so I hope he can do it justice. ;__;

Platy

LYTJ2i6.png

The only confirmed characters besies the one in the casting is Donald Duck, Duckworth, Gyro Gearloose and "vampy sorceress/LGBT icon Magica De Spell"

Richie

LYTJ2i6.png

If Donald is really gonna be a regular now, Gladstone suddenly has much more room to appear frequently.

Was concerned at the total lack of Donny in this otherwise amazing video but hearing his voice at the very end gave me life.

Tizoc

The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck has been collected in full by Fantagraphics
For anyone looking for a proper X-mas gift.

The only confirmed characters besies the one in the casting is Donald Duck, Duckworth, Gyro Gearloose and "vampy sorceress/LGBT icon Magica De Spell"

I think it's safe to assume Flintheart Glomgold is gonna be back. I mean he's Scrooge's main rival!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom