• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of the Year goes to ELDEN RING

Guilty_AI

Gold Member
image0.jpg

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Thread is full of deluded fools. The only other option was Ragnarok and as many have said it was too “safe” but a solid performance.

Elden Ring is limited by its engine/performance but in terms of gameplay and atmosphere it’s nearly unparalleled….at least this year.

Not my GOTY. I love souls series but if you pick the games since demon's souls it's the fucking same. Sekiro is the most original game created by From Software, period. I don't know wtf is goin on here lol.

Guilty_AI

Gold Member

DragonNCM

After finishing GoW:R I can safely say that ER was a better gaming experience. With GoW:R I didn't had feeling that I play new game. For me was like very god crafted DLC experiance......

levyjl1988

Banned
Elden Ring won GOTY because it is multi platform. God of War is restricted only on PlayStation. I didn’t play God of War, so my vote goes to Elden Ring, a game I did play. When you restrict your games you restrict your reach.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Elden Ring won GOTY because it is multi platform. God of War is restricted only on PlayStation. I didn’t play God of War, so my vote goes to Elden Ring, a game I did play. When you restrict your games you restrict your reach.
Exclusives have won this award before.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
This year's GOTY Awards had to be rigged.
GOW Ragnarök has:
Better Graphics
Better Story
Better Combat
Better Music/Audio
Better Performance
Innovation in Accessibility
Little to no bugs
List goes on.

It probably won the first time it came out in 2018.

Last edited:

TitusTroy

Ragnarok is a very good game but ER deserves GOTY...well deserved win...I really wanted some expansion/DLC news at the Game Awards...I was hoping for a Feb 2023 release

Last edited:

yamaci17

Fully deserved. ER is one of a kind game. Ragnarök has a rushed and mediocre ending phase. That alone kills the vibe about any chance of it being "GOTY".

also, just because elden ring does not have fully fledged narrative cutscenes, it still conveys a great story about duality of a person and how it can lead to catastrophic consequences.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
GOW Ragnarök has:
Better Graphics
Better Story
Better Combat
Better Music/Audio
Better Performance
Little to no bugs
List goes on.
Dont know how any of this is even deniable.

Not to mention

Better production values
Better acting performances
Better writing
Most polished game since TLOU 2
Better feeling weapons
Better feeling hit reactions

I personally thought GOW was better by a mile but can't complain about Elden Ring winning its not a terrible game
It's the nature of hyping up games that are fucking the same. If you play ds1, ds2, bloodborne, ds3 and ER <<<< ALL OF THEM is the same. Same items with different names etc. What FS do best is games that controls really good that's all, but their games are fucking the same, beside Sekiro.

BTW my favorite FS games is DS1 and Sekiro > masterpieces.

Last edited:
Correction: "The Game Awards GOTY award goes to Elden Ring". They're award is no more prestigious (if anything it's less prestigious) than any other person's opinion of what their game of the year was. Sucks that we're no longer going to get another Soulsborne caliber game and instead get more bland uninspired open worlds

Yeah! a billion times agree with GOTY 2022. It brought me closer to enjoying a game with “friends”. I didn’t get that from any other game this year. I felt like it was a collaboration, a journey, and appreciation of guidance. It was the ultimate adventure for me.
Yea dude, ER got me into contact again with 2 of my closest friends from childhood. We'd text every few months to say hi but now we have a group chat and play coop every weekend.

It's awesome. Nice to reconnect with old friends and enjoy some HD gaming.

Correction: "The Game Awards GOTY award goes to Elden Ring". They're award is no more prestigious (if anything it's less prestigious) than any other person's opinion of what their game of the year was. Sucks that we're no longer going to get another Soulsborne caliber game and instead get more bland uninspired open worlds
of course everyone has their own thoughts of what GOTY is but TGA asked people to vote and it turns out more people liked Elden Ring than God of War or any of the other nominations.

Elden Ring is overrated as shit.
It's really not though. It's 100% fine if it's not your thing but the game is a straight up masterpiece. That much should at least be accepted. There's plenty of games that I completely recognize as masterpieces but at the same time, I don't like them or want to play them (GOW reboot, GOW: R, TLOU, etc).

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
It's really not though. It's 100% fine if it's not your thing but the game is a straight up masterpiece. That much should at least be accepted. There's plenty of games that I completely recognize as masterpieces but at the same time, I don't like them or want to play them (GOW reboot, GOW: R, TLOU, etc).
I wouldn’t use the M-word, but it’s fucking awesome.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
“Cinematic” / movie-like games are a terrible thing so I’m happy to see Elden Ring take the win. If you want to watch a fully-acted story, even the greatest games only make for mid-tier movies. Just watch an actual film. Let games be games, kill all that cutscene trash.

Twinblade

As somebody already mentioned, it's basically Dark Souls.

sendit

They removed way points and added an open world aspect to a game with a combat system that hasn't changed since Demon Souls. Give me an open world Sekiro.

Last edited:
If blood borne and dark souls was too hard for you should you stay away from this?
Not at all. I haven't been able to even make it to the first boss in Bloodborne. I was pretty good at Dark Souls after a while.

Elden Ring is honestly pretty easy if you take your time and just explore. There's so many QOL type things to make it so you aren't ever set back too far when it comes to grace points (check points). There's also coop which is really easy to do and Spirit Summons which are like AI partners and you can level them up, etc.

Last edited:

Aenima

Not my GOTY, not even my favorite souls game, but its deserved. Only GoW Ragnarok and Elden Ring was GOTY material this year.

Happy for Gran Turismo 7 for geting its deserved best racing/ sports game award, after so many ppl trying to downplay how good the game is, and happy for Stray for the best indie game, was a short but very cool experience.

I think most awards was well deserved.

Aenima

If blood borne and dark souls was too hard for you should you stay away from this?
Yes. Elden Ring dificulty is all over the place. Some bosses are too easy, some are too hard. Having a open world just makes it more confusing for u to know where u should go next to find bosses to ur level. Dark Souls and Bloodborne while challenging they are more well balanced games.

semiconscious

Gold Member
They removed way points and added an open world aspect to a game with a combat system that hasn't changed since Demon Souls. Give me an open world Sekiro.
well, wait a sec. open world sekiro = good, but open world demon's souls = not good? what's that all about?...

Musashipan

Is anyone even surprised?
It's clear that ER is superior in every aspect.
Well deserved. And I'm not a fan of souls series.

sendit

well, wait a sec. open world sekiro = good, but open world demon's souls = not good? what's that all about?...
Sekiro's combat >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Demon's Souls/Dark Souls/Elden Ring

Last edited:

nkarafo

I was expecting something more casual and safe for the average joe. like GoW or Horizon.

Guess even they couldn't ignore how much better Elden Ring is, as a game. Good for them but i still don't really care.

GOW Ragnarök has:
Better Graphics
Better Story
Better Combat
Better Music/Audio
Better Performance
Little to no bugs
List goes on.

Better combat? As in, better than Elden Ring? I mean, Elden Ring is not Sekiro, nothing is Sekiro, but it's still Dark Souls quality.

Also, apparently, extreme hand holding and a side character explaining how to solve a bunch of playskool puzzles is "innovation in accessibility"?.

Sekiro's combat >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Demon's Souls/Dark Souls/Elden Ring >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Every other game in the awards lists.

Last edited:
Top Bottom