• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones |OT| When you play a Game of Telltale you win or break it

Heimbeck

Banned
Terrible series with an ending that doesn't even conclude anything. My question is are they going to follow the books in the future or the show? There doesn't seem to be much story left to tell as any more could spoil the other. In the books the Forresters should be allied with Stannis marching towards Winterfell. In the show, well I have no idea, but I assume Lord Bolton would also have them come to Winterfell to protect against Stannis or something. Why would Lord Bolton allow open civil war between two of his lesser Houses?

My choices:
-I let Rodrick live last episode since he's the Lord of the House and the one more likely to secure alliance with the rest of the Northern Houses if the chance came. Any way, we rescued Ryon, killing Gryff, but Lord Whitehill still ended up winning the battle but Ser Royland helped me escape. However, my mother was killed and future wife taken away.
-Mira married that one cunt, who is an asshole for no reason, to save her head.
-I had Gared sacrifice that one bloke using blood magic and told those bastards to protect the North Grove. Whether they follow the books or the show the North is screwed either way, no use wasting good men on that folly.

The game is based on the TV show.

I played through the entire game over the last few days, finishing it yesterday, and I thought it was garbage, even worse than The Walking Dead: Season 2. They failed at writing something that came close to the source material, they failed at designing a game where your choices meant anything at all and they failed on the graphical side with that ugly ass post-processing effect that blurred/warped the environment. About the only thing I'll compliment was the voice acting.

In one year, Supermassive Games and Dontnod have come out of nowhere to become the leaders in this genre. Telltale and Quantic Dream have a long, long way to go to compete with them.

Mira had her head chopped off because I didn't want to marry that asshole.

Lady Forrester was stabbed because I knocked the poisoned wine out of her hand.

Gared sacrificed his friend for blood magic and stayed in The North Grove.

I think Asher died.

Zolo

I played through the entire game over the last few days, finishing it yesterday, and I thought it was garbage, even worse than The Walking Dead: Season 2. They failed at writing something that came close to the source material, they failed at designing a game where your choices meant anything at all and they failed on the graphical side with that ugly ass post-processing effect that blurred/warped the environment. About the only thing I'll compliment was the voice acting.

In one year, Supermassive Games and Dontnod have come out of nowhere to become the leaders in this genre. Telltale and Quantic Dream have a long, long way to go to compete with them.

To be fair, Tales from the Borderlands is also up there in being one of the more high praised games of the year.

Firestorm

Okay, before I start Episode 6, I have a question. In episode 5, I
didn't kill the traitor because I wanted to hear him out before executing him correctly. Will I get the chance in Episode 6?
Otherwise I sort of wanna go back and change that...

Zolo

Okay, before I start Episode 6, I have a question. In episode 5, I
didn't kill the traitor because I wanted to hear him out before executing him correctly. Will I get the chance in Episode 6?
Otherwise I sort of wanna go back and change that...

You won't.
He'll appear at the end with Talia helping Asher/Rodrick if you let him live.

Zolo

As a game of thrones and telltale fan...worth playing? Been hearing almost nothing but bad things.

It can be very enjoyable for individual scenes, but unlike Tales from the Borderlands, it doesn't really come together much.

Glad I killed
Whitehill, Ryon lived anyways since he's needed in the sequel (that I doubt will get made).

Borderlands had a much better ending. Better everything really.

Didn't expect a cliffhanger or season 2 considering it's not doing nearly as well as any other Telltale series. It's almost never talked about.

Zolo

According to Steamspy, it has 70,000 more owners than TfTB currently. Someone else may be able to interpret the data better though.

To be fair, Tales from the Borderlands is also up there in being one of the more high praised games of the year.

I've heard that but I have absolutely no interest in the Borderlands world, so it's a bit of a tough sell. I'll probably check it out when I can find it heavily discounted though.

The Wolf Among Us is still by far my favourite game from them, because while it still uses the same formula all their games use, they never really pretend like your choices had a big impact on the story.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I've heard that but I have absolutely no interest in the Borderlands world, so it's a bit of a tough sell. I'll probably check it out when I can find it heavily discounted though.

The Wolf Among Us is still by far my favourite game from them, because while it still uses the same formula all their games use, they never really pretend like your choices had a big impact on the story.

WRONG! You have no interest in Gearbox told stories. Seriously, go fucking play that game NOW! I also had zero interest in the Borderlands world and had only played BD2, but there is barely any story in either of those games. TellTale takes that backdrop to tell one of the funniest and warming stories out there. It's really great. That said, it's still a TellTale game so that means limited interaction, "light" (heavy emphasis on the light aspect) puzzles, and certain twists that don't really make sense when looked at up close. However, the opening sequence for each episode alone should be a reason why you should buy the series, each one has it's own unique opening with a licensed song. I'd post an example but experiencing them for the first time is half the fun.

I sill think TWAU is the best but Tales from the Borderlands is second place.

Rodrik lives, I think, at least I killed Gryff, asshole had it coming
Gared's stays in the North, didn't sacrifice.
I can't believe Mira my most disliked character, during the beginning of the season, became one of my favorite characters by the end.
She died like a Boss, fuck that asshole
It was definitely a bitter sweet ending for me. Not bad, but they definitely left a lot open for a sequel which kinda rub me the wrong way especially after a 4 month wait.
I failed royally at playing the game of thrones in GOT XD.
I think this is definitely my least favorite TT Game, but its not a bad TT game, for once my choices actually have consequences which can't be said for some of the past TT Games.

Khort

I think the first episode is free now, Tales of the borderlands started a little bit bit low but then get better, probably my favorite after TWAU. Both games got plagued with delayed release so maybe that is a sign TT is rushing some series that sell more easily but polish others less mainstream (or maybe I am just saying BS)

NeO JD

Neo Member
Rodrik lives, I think, at least I killed Gryff, asshole had it coming
Gared's stays in the North, didn't sacrifice.
I can't believe Mira my most disliked character, during the beginning of the season, became one of my favorite characters by the end.
She died like a Boss, fuck that asshole
It was definitely a bitter sweet ending for me. Not bad, but they definitely left a lot open for a sequel which kinda rub me the wrong way especially after a 4 month wait.
I failed royally at playing the game of thrones in GOT XD.
I think this is definitely my least favorite TT Game, but its not a bad TT game, for once my choices actually have consequences which can't be said for some of the past TT Games.

I think I disliked this series because
you either stood up for the Forresters and got killed trying to do so or you bent the knee and still pretty much got humiliated and killed for doing so. The Game of Thrones universe is just that brutal.

NeO JD

Neo Member

Isn't the first ep of Tales free now? Definitely check out the first episode and go from there. They do the Borderlands story better justice than Gearbox. It's funny, stylish, and entertaining. I think it's their most polished game as well as it had less stutters and better overall quality than the others.

Man, I enjoyed the majority of this game a lot more than the majority opinion, but episode 6 straight up sucked imo. Really, really weak.

Barely felt like anything wrapped up, and a lot of the drama felt very forced in a way that it didn't in past episodes to me.

Zolo

As much as I hate to say it, Mira probably had the worst storyline for the season. It was easily the most disjointed.

What was even the point to Mira's meeting with Tyrion and Cersei last episode?

AHA-Lambda

In the final scene
it showed me 5 choices during the credits montage, the top 2 were in blue and the bottom 3 red, why?
?

Man, I enjoyed the majority of this game a lot more than the majority opinion, but episode 6 straight up sucked imo. Really, really weak.

Barely felt like anything wrapped up, and a lot of the drama felt very forced in a way that it didn't in past episodes to me.

Pretty much in the same boat here. While it wasn't Telltale's best work I really enjoyed episodes 1-5. Episode 6 just felt like it landed with a thud compared to rest of the series.

The Ironrath story line was built up so much over the course of the first 5 episodes and it felt like Telltale had no clue what they wanted to do to polish it off. It just felt chaotic and non-committal and that's the biggest reason why I'm so disappointed with the final episode.

Tales > The Walking Dead > Wolf > Minecraft > Game of Thrones
My order so far

I've only played the first episode of Minecraft: Story Mode, but found it kind of dull.

In my opinion, Game of Thrones had a great first episode and very solid finale, with decent to okay episodes in-between.

Firestorm

Finished Episode 6.
Kinda wish I took the ambush option. Didn't have time to think too much and the poison scenario played out exactly like I thought it would. Disappointed to learn that hey, there was no way to win with it. Figured at least for a final episode they'd branch out a bit more. Which I guess would be easier if they tied up the story instead of trying to set up for a sequel.

The thing that really gets me is how none of the separate storylines aside from Asher and Rodrick's ever came back together. It's like Mira's and Gared's stories didn't do shit.

Zolo

Finished Episode 6.
Kinda wish I took the ambush option. Didn't have time to think too much and the poison scenario played out exactly like I thought it would. Disappointed to learn that hey, there was no way to win with it. Figured at least for a final episode they'd branch out a bit more. Which I guess would be easier if they tied up the story instead of trying to set up for a sequel.

The thing that really gets me is how none of the separate storylines aside from Asher and Rodrick's ever came back together. It's like Mira's and Gared's stories didn't do shit.

Yeah. That was my complaint with Mira's episode once it hit episode 3 or 4. For Gared, it feels like his only got started, so I assume he'll be a returning protagonist next season.

Carl

Tales > Wolf > TWD > GoT for me. Not played last episode of GoT yet but it'll have to be something amazing to change that order.

Yeah, that was pretty lacking and the ending fell with a thud.

Mira married that douchebag to save her own life, like I cared to begin with.

Gared cut out Cutter's beating heart because why the hell not. I left the North Grove because Winter is coming to go south with a badass polar bear.

Asher attempted to poison Ludd, but backed out at the last second after taking to Gwynne. All hell broke loose, he killed Gryff, and was saved by Gwynne. Outside, he saved the small folk before seeing his mother die. Ludd ran like a chicken shit. He escaped, only to be found by Talia and Gwynne. No Royland in my ending, even though I spared him.

I think my feelings on he game mirror my feelings on the TV show.

With the TV show I'm at the point where i just don't care about any of the protagonists because i know they're always going to get bent over and shafted whatever they do, and as a viewer that just gets depressing, i want the bad guys to get their comeuppance sometimes, and GoT the TV show has been great in teasing that, but after 5 seasons i'm kind of bored/fed up with waiting so just tune out because theirs no point in caring about any of the characters.

For the game, by the end i just wanted the credits to roll and when making the decisions i didn't really care because i assumed the good guys were going to get fucked one way or the other. Playing as a family that just gets humbled from episode one has not been fun, there's been barely any small victories to savour, and thats not what i want from entertainment.

If thats just GoT's style, i guess its just not for me anymore.

Zomba13

I actually liked the series (I bought it on sales and played the 5 previous episodes in a row). Really disappointed with the ending. Not because bad things may or may not happen, it's Game of Thrones, like The Walking Dead you expect bad things happening to good people, it's happened throughout the season. It's just too much was left unresolved for a Season 2. I understand why but it sucks. TWD Season 1 had a great ending. It concluded the story there but also left it open for a sequel telling new stuff, same with Season 2! Here it's like "Well, it's one more episode than we normally do but let's drag it out into another season!".

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I remember the moments I got to play this game, the total time was like ~5 minutes.

The conclusion I got was some TRULY "End of Disc 1" shit right there.

Went for the ambush.

Asher barely escapes with his life after failing to win the war.
Lady Forrester killed saving her son.
Mira forced into a marriage with someone in order to save her own skin.
Duncan comes across Asher with Talia.
Beska escapes with Ryon.
Gared marches South after sacrificing Cotter.

Literally amazing set up to the next season, I haven't been this potentially excited for GoT since S1 ended. Do not fuck this up Telltale, TWD S2 was a disaster.

Literally amazing set up to the next season, I haven't been this potentially excited for GoT since S1 ended. Do not fuck this up Telltale, TWD S2 was a disaster.

Disaster? It definitely wasn't as good as the first season but I wouldn't consider it a disaster. The supporting cast was pretty weak but I liked playing as Clementine.

My PS4's downloading the final episode of Thrones at the moment. I'll try and play it some time this week. It's been an OK series but I'd probably rank it below Wolf Among Us and TWD so far. I still haven't played TALES.

Chaos17

Overall, I liked that ep even if you could feel that Telltale wanted to end it quickly. Also you had the possibility to gather various items through the game but it didn't matter in the end it seems.

1) Mira : again, I don't really see the poing of her plot and it seems whatever you choose to be loyal to, no one will come save her so I let her marry in hope for a futur for her.

2) Gared : I prefered to march south instead of staying in zombie land, that anyone who watched te tv serie know it's a bad idea to stay.

3) Rodrick : I choose to save Ryon and I killed Gryff cause he showed no mercy toward Asher. Though at that point, I think Rodrik is kinda a zombie with all those wounds he had, lol. I warned Helena to not stay but she was stubborn -.-'

Herne

WRONG! You have no interest in Gearbox told stories. Seriously, go fucking play that game NOW! I also had zero interest in the Borderlands world and had only played BD2, but there is barely any story in either of those games. TellTale takes that backdrop to tell one of the funniest and warming stories out there. It's really great. That said, it's still a TellTale game so that means limited interaction, "light" (heavy emphasis on the light aspect) puzzles, and certain twists that don't really make sense when looked at up close. However, the opening sequence for each episode alone should be a reason why you should buy the series, each one has it's own unique opening with a licensed song. I'd post an example but experiencing them for the first time is half the fun.

I sill think TWAU is the best but Tales from the Borderlands is second place.

Eh, like LiquidSolid I have no interest in the Borderlands world - I played the first episode of Tales and I didn't feel any different about it. For me so far it's -

The Wolf Among Us > The Walking Dead > Game of Thrones. I didn't like their Monkey Island games,

88Titan88

(With Mira)
I married the dude so that I can stab him in the back later. :>
Or at least I hope I get that option.

Overall the game was a bit underwhelming. Unfortunately I've lost the ability to care about choices in TellTale games. :(

AHA-Lambda

I guess Blue means choices that helped in taking back House of Forrester and Red means the fails to help it.

So strange, I'd need to double check my choices but I can't recall any that came across as the "wrong choice"

And it won't change anything anyway :/

I remember it said at the bottom that I and 37% fought with honour and nobility. Sounds nice but I'd like to see how they quantify that and what it means really.

Top Bottom