• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones |OT| When you play a Game of Telltale you win or break it

Theorry

Just finished act 1 of episode 3, man it's always entertaining with Asher and Beshka isn't it lol, great opening again. I'm loving this game.

Yeah and then the intro kicks in. Everytime great and you really get the feeling your are in GoT. They did that really well.

Roto13

The show's going on for what's soon to be five seasons, giving time to better flesh out politics, characters and tensions making those few moments very powerful and largely worth the wait.

The Telltale series doesn't have this luxury, it'd be wiser to take those opportunities when they can rather than build to what would likely become one or two underwhelming resolutions otherwise from aping the show's pacing.

You don't know that.

Rodhull

I thought the episode was pretty good.The pace does seem quite slow though. Maybe that's partly to do with it being 6 episodes instead of the usual 5.

So at the end of the episode
Ludd Whitehill invites them Hightpoint for some reason
I wonder if this means
This games equivalent of the Red Wedding is going to happen.
also
Who do you think is the traitor. My guess is Royland or Elissa.

Corpekata

Banned
I wonder if this means
also
Who do you think is the traitor. My guess is Royland

It's going to be Beardface. He's being really pushy about the North Grove to Gared so him being a traitor would affect most of the stories. Plus Royalnd is so obviously pushing for fighting the Whitehills, and that's what they want, that it feels like it would be too obvious. The Maester is a maybe I'd say too, but he hasn't had many scenes outside of episode 1 so hard to get a feel for him.

Marz

Yea
Duncan was the one who advised Ethan to let Ramsay into his hall and then was absent when the murder happened

Carl

Finally got around to playing 2 and 3 last night. Didn't enjoy episode 1 that much, thought it was pretty boring and the ending was predictable. REALLY enjoyed 2 and 3 though :)

TimFL

I wonder if this means
also

The traitor is his mother. It totally makes sense. She is trying to play her own "game" by leaking info to the Whitehills with the hopes of getting her beloved son back. Also she is the only character you have the option to tell about the traitor (and she is being really pushy on whether we were told something else, like she tries to cover her tracks or find out if you suspect something).

Roto13

I wonder if this means
also

My guess is Maester Ortarefdrfgrrn because he's just kind of there. Either him or whoever you didn't choose as your sentinel.

Corpekata

Banned
The traitor is his mother. It totally makes sense. She is trying to play her own "game" by leaking info to the Whitehills with the hopes of getting her beloved son back. Also she is the only character you have the option to tell about the traitor (and she is being really pushy on whether we were told something else, like she tries to cover her tracks or find out if you suspect something).

This doesn't make a lot of sense given the war the Whitehills want would likely kill most of her family, including possibly herself and Ryon. She's the only option to tell (for now) but that doesn't make her the mole. They could easily make it so that telling her, she doesn't keep secrets as well as Rodrik and lets it slip to the real mole.

TimFL

This doesn't make a lot of sense given the war the Whitehills want would likely kill most of her family, including possibly herself and Ryon. She's the only option to tell (for now) but that doesn't make her the mole. They could easily make it so that telling her, she doesn't keep secrets as well as Rodrik and lets it slip to the real mole.

Yeah but she looks like the kind of mom that doesn't think through stuff clearly with her youngest son in danger. Atleast in my game she goes from one extreme to the other, could just be Telltale bad writing though.

GavinUK86

I think
either the mother or the maester is the mole. I chose not to tell her about it.

What did people do with the decree? I kept it. Margaery is definitely getting fed up with Myra so I figured I needed a back up plan.

I was waiting for Daenerys to ask where her dragon was at the end lol. You had one job Telltale.

Carl

What did people do with the decree? I kept it. Margaery is definitely getting fed up with Myra so I figured I needed a back up plan.

That's what i did too.
Margaery seems really pissed off, i can see that whole thing going downhill fast

Mista

Banned
I enjoyed episode 3 as I also got annoyed from how slow paced it got at certain point
I really want to know who's the traitor and I also feel that know who's the traitor
Royland

TimFL

I did not keep it. I doubt it is of any use anyways due to Tyrions situation.

I was waiting for Daenerys to ask where her dragon was at the end lol. You had one job Telltale.
I'm actually surprised we get to see her so early. I was always under the assumption that we get to see her during episode 6 at the earliest due to Emilia Clarke shooting Terminator etc and she only recently (a week ago or so) was in the studio to record her lines. That's probably the reason the episode ended at the exact moment you entered her tent. Surprised to see how fast they can produce content, I always assumed they need quite a while to get that stuff ingame (so the long delays between releases is probably only because of them trying to polish everything as good as they can).

Can't wait for episode 4, my Asher will totally try to please Daenerys by saying everything she wants to hear.

GavinUK86

I did not keep it. I doubt it is of any use anyways due to Tyrions situation.

I'm actually surprised we get to see her so early. I was always under the assumption that we get to see her during episode 6 at the earliest due to Emilia Clarke shooting Terminator etc and she only recently (a week ago or so) was in the studio to record her lines. That's probably the reason the episode ended at the exact moment you entered her tent. Surprised to see how fast they can produce content, I always assumed they need quite a while to get that stuff ingame (so the long delays between releases is probably only because of them trying to polish everything as good as they can).

Can't wait for episode 4, my Asher will totally try to please Daenerys by saying everything she wants to hear.

You can tell some of
Jon Snow's
lines were recorded at different sound booths, perhaps because he was only available at certain times. The audio quality of a couple were pretty terrible, especially near the end of the episode where he's talking about
going over the wall.

TimFL

You can tell some of
Jon Snow's
lines were recorded at different sound booths, perhaps because he was only available at certain times. The audio quality of a couple were pretty terrible, especially near the end of the episode where he's talking about
going over the wall.

Yeah I noticed that. First thought it's a game bug because I had to restart once shortly into the episode due to the sound cutting out (+ a few occasions where there was no background music/environment sound present, was pretty weird to only hear the dialogues).

Ein Bear

One thing I didn't understand at the end.

Why was burning the decree an option? The coal boy is even angry when you decide to keep it, as though that wasn't the plan all along. I feel like I must have missed something since I have no idea what benefit burning the thing would have brought, and don't recall it ever being mentioned as an idea until the game prompts you to choose.

foxtrot3d

Banned
One thing I didn't understand at the end.

Why was burning the decree an option? The coal boy is even angry when you decide to keep it, as though that wasn't the plan all along. I feel like I must have missed something since I have no idea what benefit burning the thing would have brought, and don't recall it ever being mentioned as an idea until the game prompts you to choose.

You're not alone, I don't think anyone understood that part or how it could prove useful in the future.

Roto13

You're given the option to burn it to minimize your connection with Tyrion and fly under the radar. They do all believe he just killed the king.

You can tell some of
Jon Snow's
going over the wall.

There is one moment at Castle Black where he yells "Gared!" a couple times and it scared the crap out of me because it was really loud all of a sudden and barely even sounded like the actor. I was cracking up because it sounded like they got some random person to voice those lines or something.

GavinUK86

There is one moment at Castle Black where he yells "Gared!" a couple times and it scared the crap out of me because it was really loud all of a sudden and barely even sounded like the actor. I was cracking up because it sounded like they got some random person to voice those lines or something.

Haha, I know the bit you mean. I jumped too. He was all softly spoken, nice, kind, then GARED!! YO!! GARED!!

foxtrot3d

Banned
You're given the option to burn it to minimize your connection with Tyrion and fly under the radar. They do all believe he just killed the king.
He's talking about the option to keep it, the entire episode with Mira's character involved untangling herself from Tyrion Lannister. We risked everything to break into his quarters to steal our deal for Ironwood so that we couldn't be tied to Tyrion. Thus, it's perplexing that once we get the document into our hands we're given an option to keep it as opposed to burning it as was the plan all along. It's hard to see how keeping it could be beneficial and if it is then why did we need to steal it in the first place?

Roto13

He's talking about the option to keep it, the entire episode with Mira's character involved untangling herself from Tyrion Lannister. We risked everything to break into his quarters to steal our deal for Ironwood so that we couldn't be tied to Tyrion. Thus, it's perplexing that once we get the document into our hands we're given an option to keep it as opposed to burning it as was the plan all along. It's hard to see how keeping it could be beneficial and if it is then why did we need to steal it in the first place?

Did you miss the whole conversation with that guy at the wedding? Ein Bear was pretty clearly wondering why you'd want to burn the letter instead of sending it off and doing business to save your family.

lt519

It's going to be Beardface. He's being really pushy about the North Grove to Gared so him being a traitor would affect most of the stories. Plus Royalnd is so obviously pushing for fighting the Whitehills, and that's what they want, that it feels like it would be too obvious. The Maester is a maybe I'd say too, but he hasn't had many scenes outside of episode 1 so hard to get a feel for him.

My guess is actually the Mother. She's back dealing to get her son home.

I played through the 3 episodes!
I'm a little bit surprised there isn't nudity like in the shows.

Well then I guess
you want some of them QTE sex scenes?

I think it's better without them though, the core feel of the show remains. This latest episode felt more like stepping stones for things to come more than anything else really, the first two episodes had quite a decent push but I think episode 4 will have some really heavy stuff in it. Especially for Mira.

Also when playing as
Rodrick I submitted every time.
Feels bad, man.

FHIZ

Also when playing as
Rodrick I submitted every time.
Feels bad, man.

Yeah but in the end when
Your sister is all "This is a work, isn't it?"
it almost feels worth it as if you're sitting there just like "Thank you! Someone fucking gets it and isn't passive aggressively trying to make me feel like crap for once!"

foxtrot3d

Banned
Did you miss the whole conversation with that guy at the wedding? Ein Bear was pretty clearly wondering why you'd want to burn the letter instead of sending it off and doing business to save your family.
No, you seem to be missing the point of that whole chapter. Whether you wanted to or not you made a deal with Tyrion for him to buy some ironwood which he put down in a royal decree. Now, regardless of whether you've seriously pissed Magaery by speaking with Tyrion the deal would clearly help your family. That is until Jofferey gets murdered and Tyrion is pinned for the blame. Afterwards it would be very BAD business for anyone to be linked with Tyrion hence why the one Lord very quickly got the fuck away from you stating that perhaps he could do business with you if the letter were to disappear.

So at the end of the chapter being given the option to save the letter doesn't make any sense and hasn't in anyway been implied that it could help you. If the letter gets out then it ties you to Tyrion and Cercei would look VERY unkindly towards you and your family. So unless we can later change the fact that Tyrion is placing the order then the letter has no real value.

Kuraudo

Banned
No, you seem to be missing the point of that whole chapter. Whether you wanted to or not you made a deal with Tyrion for him to buy some ironwood which he put down in a royal decree. Now, regardless of whether you've seriously pissed Magaery by speaking with Tyrion the deal would clearly help your family. That is until Jofferey gets murdered and Tyrion is pinned for the blame. Afterwards it would be very BAD business for anyone to be linked with Tyrion hence why the one Lord very quickly got the fuck away from you stating that perhaps he could do business with you if the letter were to disappear.

So at the end of the chapter being given the option to save the letter doesn't make any sense and hasn't in anyway been implied that it could help you. If the letter gets out then it ties you to Tyrion and Cercei would look VERY unkindly towards you and your family. So unless we can later change the fact that Tyrion is placing the order then the letter has no real value.

The guy at the wedding told me something like "Did you get the decree before Tyrion was arrested? We could at least do something with that." And then Myra says she can get hold of it. Maybe you get different dialogue depending on the conversation up until then, but there was nothing to suggest that I was trying to get the decree for any reason other than to use, so I was also a bit perplexed that Tom reacted as though the plan had been to destroy it from the start.

foxtrot3d

Banned
The guy at the wedding told me something like "Did you get the decree before Tyrion was arrested? We could at least do something with that." And then Myra says she can get hold of it. Maybe you get different dialogue depending on the conversation up until then, but there was nothing to suggest that I was trying to get the decree for any reason other than to use, so I was also a bit perplexed that Tom reacted as though the plan had been to destroy it from the start.

Hmm, if that's the case then it appears that there is different dialogue.
My discussions with the man were clear from the start I needed to get rid of the letter to avoid being tied to Tyrion. Though I have to say that doesn't make any lick of sense, why would his official dealings as Master of Coin to buy Iron wood implicate me in a plot to assassinate the King. Now, Cercei is an evil stupid person who might lash out with anyone connected to Tyrion but Tywin is there and the Hand of the King and he isn't stupid. If the Ironwood deal benefited the Crown he would follow through on it.

In any case, the letter was never explained to me as anything other than something in a negative light so it's weird I'm given the option to keep it.

eshock

Who was that guy anyway? I didnt remember him from a previous episode and wasnt sure how much to trust him.

i kept the note

frontovik

Banned
Who was that guy anyway? I didnt remember him from a previous episode and wasnt sure how much to trust him.

i kept the note

He was the companion of the trading representative that the Whitehills sent to King's Landing in Episode 2.

You'd encounter him and his partner during your meeting with Tyrion in the Throne Room.

Pretty sure the sentinel choice is just a (pretty obvious) red herring, I think
the mother
would make some sense as the insider, as it draws parallels with the actual series and also would catch most players who don't think outside the box.

My few complaints for this game so far

- Like all telltale games, I hate figuring out the twist but not getting rewarded for it, instead being powerless to watch it go through
- Asher is not the complete nutter I was hoping he'd be, especially as they bigged him up as one.
- The lack of mention of House Glover is weird.
-
I get a horrible sense that Asher won't even come close to making it back across the sea, two episodes just isn't enough time

Pretty sure the sentinel choice is just a (pretty obvious) red herring, I think
the mother
would make some sense as the insider, as it draws parallels with the actual series and also would catch most players who don't think outside the box.

My few complaints for this game so far

- Like all telltale games, I hate figuring out the twist but not getting rewarded for it, instead being powerless to watch it go through
- Asher is not the complete nutter I was hoping he'd be, especially as they bigged him up as one.
- The lack of mention of House Glover is weird.
-
I get a horrible sense that Asher won't even come close to making it back across the sea, two episodes just isn't enough time

Regarding your fourth complaint,
there are three episodes left. The full game will have six episodes, not five.

TimFL

Regarding your fourth complaint,
there are three episodes left. The full game will have six episodes, not five.

Yeah but I'm pretty sure that he'll still be in Essos and have to deal with Daenerys (the episode preview picture shows her). I don't think they get him to Westeros in one episode. Maybe if they do a time skip similar to the one at the end of TWDS2.

Choices for episode 3:

1. Saved Beshka because she was fighting a dragon, come on. Malcolm proceeded to whine about this later. Shut up Malcolm.

2. Obeyed Margaery and avoided Tyrion not that she was the slightest bit grateful. Though considering I knew what was going to happen at the wedding I might have kept my distance from Tyrion regardless. Sera told me Margaery's trying to replace Mira but I don't trust Sera at all- blatant Cersei spy. I initially thought Tom the coal boy was one of Varys' spies but I can't recall him being mentioned at all in the game so far. Maybe they couldn't get the actor.

3. Told Britt I didn't want to fight him and left him on the top of the wall after I promised Jon Snow I wouldn't do anything. Since Finn caught me right after that I should have just kicked Britt off the top. It would have felt good. Told Jon Snow about the North Grove because he's a book character. He knew nothing.

4. Despite telling Gwen (? is that her name) I'd let Griff do what he wants, I repeatedly and literally stood up to him. This non-violent protest felt good.

5. Kept the Ironwood decree. I was surprised that was even a choice as the merchant hinted we could still do business if I had it.

Misc- I tried to tell Lady Forrester about the traitor but I think I pressed the button a fraction too late. It's either her or the maester. Count on it.

Dany appears for two seconds and she already wants to know where her dragons are. Of course.

I'm liking this game so far. More so than I did the second season of Walking Dead.

Top Bottom