• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones |OT| When you play a Game of Telltale you win or break it

foxtrot3d

Banned
Ramsay is the ultimate Telltale character.
Whenever they want to nullify all of your choices without having to script a lot of scenes they just have him show up and cause mayhem off-screen (so no matter what choices you made up until then, whether they were good or bad or whatever, you always end up at the same chaotic story point).

Damn Telltale, taking the cop out once again.

As I've said before, 100% this.

Weak episode. There was, I'm sure, only two true "adventuring" segments.

Mira at the feast, Gared's group at the camp. The rest was all barely interactive cutscenes. Oh and it's Ramsay again being an asshole, great.

kinda hoping we can at the very least punch
Ramsey in the face
in episode 5. I don't care if it
results in a game over

also, really getting tired of the illusion of choice.

Chaos17

kinda hoping we can at the very least punch
Ramsey in the face
in episode 5. I don't care if it
results in a game over

also, really getting tired of the illusion of choice.

I agree, that's why I'm trying to motivate myself to play Witcher serie since a lot o fplayers confirmed that our choices really do matter and don't get nulify by magic.

I hope Life is strange won't follow the footsepts of Telltalgames.

BGMNTS

Bit of a weak episode BUT

That showdown between Rodrick and Whitehill, him putting the knife to your brother was tense. Then when I chose to call his bluff my heart was actually pounding a bit.
The most tension i've felt in a game for a loooooong time.

A little bit of a disappointing episode in terms of the plot. I think the pacing between switching off characters' narrators have really made me feel indifferent towards Asher, Rodrik, Mira, and Gared. Although I will say,
calling Lud's bluff was pretty bad-ass

hohoXD123

Easily the worst telltale episode I have played from a technical perspective, constant minutes-long freezes even on PS4. How the hell is this still a problem?!

Carl

Easily the worst telltale episode I have played from a technical perspective, constant minutes-long freezes even on PS4. How the hell is this still a problem?!

I actually did pretty well in terms of bugs. Only encountered a couple throughout the whole episode and it was nothing major (couple of sound bugs). Should have known it was pure luck

Spades

Giving away keys for Episode Two and Three on Xbox One.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 0 Steam keys and 2 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=944968.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Spades, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both fewer than five posts in this thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

EfagyaM.png
Game of Thrones: Episode Two (Xbox) (Xbox One) -- MB-3D2AAA29AED6C312
EfagyaM.png
Game of Thrones: Episode Three (Xbox) (Xbox One) -- MB-C66ABA1CD53F020E

t1433245484z1.png

Enjoy!

cyba89

Ramsay is the ultimate Telltale character.
Whenever they want to nullify all of your choices without having to script a lot of scenes they just have him show up and cause mayhem off-screen (so no matter what choices you made up until then, whether they were good or bad or whatever, you always end up at the same chaotic story point).

Damn Telltale, taking the cop out once again.

Yep, it was really annoying because
I kept my guards at Ironrath to protect the castle just to see it gets fucked up at the end anyway.

"Oh come on, Telltale!" was the only thing I thought during this.

Roto13

Usually Telltale decisions at least matter in the short term, but this episode doesn't even seem to do that much.
Beskha being hungover for like 10 seconds if you let her drink. Your guards mysteriously disappearing if you left them behind. Getting thrown in jail anyway no matter how aggressive you were to Britt.
A lot of the decisions in this episode/series feel like they were half-implemented. Like they assumed that everyone was going to make the same choice so they only put in one consequence.

I agree, that's why I'm trying to motivate myself to play Witcher serie since a lot o fplayers confirmed that our choices really do matter and don't get nulify by magic.

I hope Life is strange won't follow the footsepts of Telltalgames.
Yup. Life is Strange was like TT in some parts though.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
after playing the 3 episodes of Tales from the Borderlands I started this to continue my Telltale kick (I love the Telltale stuff).

Im enjoying it so far, but I have to ask, do we reckon the look of the game is a style choice or just lazy development? I mean the low poly / flat textures look. Sometimes I want to say its a stylistic choice, kind of a "painting look", other times it just looks like a bad old videogames, and we know Telltale stuff usuall looks at least good (Wolf Among us and Borderlands especially), and I doubt a IP like GoT would skimp on the budget.

So, style that just doesnt really pan out as they thought?

edit: just finished episode 1, wtf at the ending...I guess I should have known, I mean it IS a Game of Thrones game afterall lol.

Roto13

after playing the 3 episodes of Tales from the Borderlands I started this to continue my Telltale kick (I love the Telltale stuff).

Im enjoying it so far, but I have to ask, do we reckon the look of the game is a style choice or just lazy development? I mean the low poly / flat textures look. Sometimes I want to say its a stylistic choice, kind of a "painting look", other times it just looks like a bad old videogames, and we know Telltale stuff usuall looks at least good (Wolf Among us and Borderlands especially), and I doubt a IP like GoT would skimp on the budget.

So, style that just doesnt really pan out as they thought?

edit: just finished episode 1, wtf at the ending...I guess I should have known, I mean it IS a Game of Thrones game afterall lol.

It doesn't look as good in motion. It looks a lot better in screens, though. They're definitely going for a painting look but it doesn't really work that well.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
It doesn't look as good in motion. It looks a lot better in screens, though. They're definitely going for a painting look but it doesn't really work that well.

it really doesnt :/

EulaCapra

Is there some update I don't know about?

Episode 2 in particular downloaded on the PS3 has been a hot mess. Stuttered like hell. voice clips played before animation, and it was a pain to watch "Next time on Game of Thrones" on episodes 1 and 2 and struggled to load through it.

Marz

Is there some update I don't know about?

Episode 2 in particular downloaded on the PS3 has been a hot mess. Stuttered like hell. voice clips played before animation, and it was a pain to watch "Next time on Game of Thrones" on episodes 1 and 2 and struggled to load through it.

Welcome to Telltale

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think it as lazy so much as it is immature. It seems like most of the TTG vets are on Tales From the Borderlands (citation needed, I base this on a few names I recognise in the credits of TFTB and none in GOT).

Probably my least favorite episode so far. Just two times I was able to walk around and explore things, and literally either spoke to the right person or "searched" the right spot the first time both times.

In regards to the quote and image they chose for this particular chapter (read if you've finished chapter 4):

An image of a white walker and talking about being afraid of the dead. What? Did I miss something, or did this not even come up once!?

In regards to the graphics, I'm kind of indifferent. I really like it when they use painted backgrounds, but it's super rare. And these scenes are never interactive. It's pretty apparent they were going for this type of look, but they just couldn't get there...

I've been slowly warming up to this series, but this latest episode felt like a big step backwards.

Episode 5 kicked ass.

Anyone else enjoy it?

Felt incredibly short though.

Yeah felt the same on both

Damn that ending though

Who did you pick to stay? I let Rodrik die, figured since Asher came all that way with the army + Beksha i might as well let him save the day. Plus Rodrik was injured anyways., it was a tough decision though

WaLlbaNg

Just wow, the tension and story is on the level of the show for me. Fantastic episode and
amazing ending. F this Whitehill dude, I hope he dies in the finale

Is the traitor the same person for everyone or does it depend on your former decision?

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
GoT so far has had some REAL ups and downs amongst the five episodes but it's really went hard in this last episode, some of the chapters fluctuated in length a bit too much for my liking but it was a very good build up. I thought the set up for that final chapter could have been handled a little bit better to make it more natural when you knew it was gonna go crazy.
Kinda feel bad for having Rodrick go from bed ridden to getting his strength back only to die again.
I suspect we'll get some typical ending moments than sort of feel similar to how the Stark family was formed prior to how the actual series all started.

I just hope now
the youngest son doesn't die because FUUUUUUCK I know it'll happen.

GeeTeeCee

I might be going crazy, but I'm sure that the animations are getting worse with each episode. Lip syncing is getting towards Life is Strange territory. Characters are clipping into each other if they get too close. I've seen a few characters glide out of shot rather than walk.

Other than that, I've only played the opening segments of episode 5 (one scene with each character).
Ramsay works quick; he's somehow managed to torture Arthur to death in the time since Rodrik returned to Ironrath, when in my game Arthur had went with Rodrik to the Whitehill's. Oh well.

Carl

Episode 5 was the best yet but that's not really a high bar for me.

Cool ending. I had Asher stay behind because i figured Rodrick was more important, and Asher was a better fighter so he could take down some of the cunts before they killed him lol.

Was the traitor the same for everyone, or was it just the person that you didn't pick for Sentinel?

Was it possible to have that conversation with Tyrion without him knowing Cersei sent you? Hmm

Yeah felt the same on both

Damn that ending though

Who did you pick to stay? I let Rodrik die, figured since Asher came all that way with the army + Beksha i might as well let him save the day. Plus Rodrik was injured anyways., it was a tough decision though

the ending was so well done, i had no choice but to
let Asher die, it was pretty emotional, i really like both characters, i want a save file with both outcomes, which has increased the replay value for me

the ending was so well done, i had no choice but to
let Asher die, it was pretty emotional, i really like both characters, i want a save file with both outcomes, which has increased the replay value for me

Yes i was surprised how emotional the episode was,
i could not let Asher die after he gave that epic speech at the pits, he has an army to lead now. I am hoping we get that alliance with Daenerys

That's kind of what i assumed. Pretty cool that it changes i suppose.

Not really,
for me it does not make sense for Duncan to be the traitor (it would be out of character imo) I am glad in my playthrough the traitor was Sir Royland, never liked him anyway.

I choose to let Rodrik die and it made me feel like shit since he was my favourite Asher will carry the flame and I hope he gets to kill that scumbag really sucks I liked both characters ):
that was emotional

I can't help but feel it's pretty contrived that Dany, the person who goes on to execute hundreds of slave masters on a whim, would be so upset that Asher killed one last episode.

Hate to say it but I think Mira is fucked in my game,
my relationship with Margaery it's pretty bad since EP1 and I'm best buds with Tyrion (who wouldn't). There's no way in hell she makes it out of this alive, which surprisingly makes even more hyped for next episode.

JustinBB7

Great ep again, ending choice was hard!

Let Rodrick die, both choices felt horrible, but like others said Asher just came all the way there, to let him die would be such a waste. Plus he is better in leading those pit fighters. Wish Telltale would get a better engine though, it feels like every episode looks worse and Ashers "army" is like 8 guys. Mostly because they can't do more people or something.

Roussow

Hey guys!
I played the first episode on PC, really enjoyed it -- especially that final scene and the show character cameos. I was thinking about picking up the rest of the season soon, I was going to wait for the final episode, but I'm rather slow at finishing games so it'll probably be out by the time I've played the first 5 -- have they held up?

I'd just like to hear some very broad (spoiler-free) thoughts on this series, some pros and cons -- oh, and how is the PS4 version?

Episode 5 felt a bit better than some of the others and it was nice to see some of the choices from earlier episodes actually affecting the game a little rather that it just being an immediate so and so noticed that and then seemingly nothing.

For the last choice
I let Asher die. I felt bad doing it after he'd come all that way and he was my favorite character but Rodrik is his Lord and Asher had a better chance of fighting. Means Rodrik will be toast in the last episode though unless Telltale somehow have lots of possible endings, as it's meant to be canon though i can't see that happening. Also means whoever wasn't the traitor will have to die too.

I've actually enjoyed the Mira story as each episode has gone on and am looking forward to how that resolves but Gared's story feels like the only one that is still pretty unknown and could have something cool for the final episode.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Hate to say it but I think Mira is fucked in my game,
my relationship with Margaery it's pretty bad since EP1 and I'm best buds with Tyrion (who wouldn't). There's no way in hell she makes it out of this alive, which surprisingly makes even more hyped for next episode.

Saying that though the only two siblings who will 100%
make it out alive is whoever you picked to survive this episode and Talia.

Carl

Not really,
for me it does not make sense for Duncan to be the traitor (it would be out of character imo) I am glad in my playthrough the traitor was Sir Royland, never liked him anyway.

Yeah good point.
As soon as Talia said she saw the traitor i was pretty sure it would be Ser Royland

Ledhead

Completely forgot this was released yesterday. I'll download it when I get home tonight. Glad to hear this seems to be one of the better episodes

Thud

Downloading right now. I'll check it out later this week.

I'm curious tho if the games run like crap on all platforms or just PS3?

GavinUK86

That was the shortest episode yet. Took me 1 hour 17 minutes. Not many big decisions this time
apart from the ending. Asher FTW
. It also made sense the
traitor was Royland. I did think of Duncan first but then it didn't make sense in my head when I thought about it
. I think Mira is
completely fucked. I tried to trick Tyrion... did not work in the slightest

My choices and a few thoughts:

I didn't bother trying to stab Ramsey since he's still alive in the show.

-I executed the shit out of Bloodsong. When in Rome...

-I begrudgingly told Tyrion the truth.

-I showed mercy to Ser Royland only because I wanted to know Ludd's plans.

-After what Ser Royland said to me about why he betrayed the house, how much Asher should have been the lord to lead the house, etc....I chose to leave Rodrik behind. I found it to be the far more tragic choice and it made sense to me to have him sacrifice himself for Asher. Rodrik is too weak to take on the Whitehills. Asher has the respect of the pit fighters, and when he gets back home I can have him (hopefully) swiftly execute Ser Royland.

-I totally got to give Elaena some true Ironwood. Maybe she'll end up pregnant and not dead. It would be a nice touch to have Rodrik live on to an extent.

I did find it a total cop out that the traitor ended up being whomever you didn't choose as your sentinel though.

Top Bottom