• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jonathan Majors arrested on charges of strangulation, assault and harassment

SaintALia

W
That was 13 Years ago, before wokesters went full retard
Wait, so you seriously think Disney is biting it's nails over 'wokesters'? Seriously?

Yeah, the only thing Disney cares about in this context is:
Optics. If he is an abuser, it looks bad on their brand. They GAIN brownie points by firing him
He is locked into a contract for however many movies
He is tied up in the MCU as the big villain.

The latter two can be sorted out with a bit of pain, but him being dropped because of Disney afraid of 'wokesters' likely has nothing to with it.

nush

W

Wait, so you seriously think Disney is biting it's nails over 'wokesters'? Seriously?

Yeah, the only thing Disney cares about in this context is:
Optics. If he is an abuser, it looks bad on their brand. They GAIN brownie points by firing him
He is locked into a contract for however many movies
He is tied up in the MCU as the big villain.

The latter two can be sorted out with a bit of pain, but him being dropped because of Disney afraid of 'wokesters' likely has nothing to with it.
OIP-C.KLakrZMxKA8KojKCbm7jKgHaET

Dural

First off:
"Jonathan Majors beats up a woman, Disney does nothing."

"Jonathan Majors ALLEGEDLY HITS a woman, Disney does nothing....yet."

"Gina Carano DOES MULTIPLE problematic tweets over the course of two years ranging from racist, transphobic, anti-semetic, to downplaying masks in the pandemic to supporting pro-voter fraud sentiments in the 2020 US elections, tweets, Disney fires her after two years. "

James Gunn got fired from a Marvel project due to an old dug-up tweet of a joke. IF Disney finds something concrete about Majors, he is gone no question. But to try and say Carano was done dirty 'for just a tweet' is utterly ridiculous and patently false. Disney let multiple infractions skate by, she is probably the worst person to bring up in this.

Really, problematic tweets? You're comparing problematic tweets to accusations of domestic violence? She was fired after one tweet, she wasn't fired over the other tweets. Going by what we know to be true, she was fired for just a tweet. And nothing she posted was what you're saying, she didn't post anything racist, transphobic (can we be done with this BS word already), or anti-semetic. The people saying they were are the same keyboard warriors that were trying to get her fired because they disagree with her, looks like you're one of them based off your posts.

SaintALia

Opinions my dude, you would not be mashing your keyboard and wearing out the caps lock if it was clear cut.

You got all those tweets in context so everyone can see these facts? No, didn't think so.
Facts.

Disney has a multi-movie contract with Majors.

He is locked in right now as the major villain of the current phase.

If he is an abuser and Disney keeps him, it will look bad on the Disney brand. Disney will be praised if the domestic abuse ellegations prove correct and they fire him .

Point out to me what is opinion here and if these are inaccurate.

If you're speaking specifically about Gina Carano, then you should have replied to that comment. So if you are.

I never said those were 'facts', I directly responded to this comment:

"Jonathan Majors beats up a woman, Disney does nothing.

Gina Carano tweets, Disney fires her."

And disagreed, stating why, showing her long range of 'problematic' tweets(what the media wrote about, the public outrage about it and what Disney likely saw it as) over a two year period and that currently Majors is in an 'allegations' phase. I never even gave my opinion on Majors or Carano, I just wanted to point out that the shit had more to it than that.

"mashing your keyboard and wearing out the caps lock"

There are like six words in caps lock over what 3 or four posts? But okay sure.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Nothing other than typical "Worst reading" of tweets. IIRC the "Transphobia" was her being pressured to add pronouns to her Twitter account or something to show she was a good "Ally" and in response her pronouns were set to beep boop bop.

Which she herself admitted was not the right way to go about pushing back against demands of allyship. Curious what is being argued/defended here.

Like she should obviously be allowed to have her own opinions - which she isn't shy about sharing - and DISNEY is right to not want to be associated with someone who might harm their bottom line. You can't be outspoken about the wrong things and expect to keep a job in liberal Hollywood.

ManaByte

First off:
"Jonathan Majors beats up a woman, Disney does nothing."

"Jonathan Majors ALLEGEDLY HITS a woman, Disney does nothing....yet."

"Gina Carano DOES MULTIPLE problematic tweets over the course of two years ranging from racist, transphobic, anti-semetic, to downplaying masks in the pandemic to supporting pro-voter fraud sentiments in the 2020 US elections, tweets, Disney fires her after two years. "

James Gunn got fired from a Marvel project due to an old dug-up tweet of a joke. IF Disney finds something concrete about Majors, he is gone no question. But to try and say Carano was done dirty 'for just a tweet' is utterly ridiculous and patently false. Disney let multiple infractions skate by, she is probably the worst person to bring up in this.
So when is your Era ban up so you can go back there?

SaintALia

Feel like "problematic tweets" is just a way of saying you disagree with someone nowadays.
Feel like "problematic tweets" is just a way of saying you disagree with someone nowadays.
'Problematic tweets' is what the media and her critics phrased it as and what Disney (likely) saw it as.

Basically, any tweet looked that can and will spark public outrage and can be construed as racist, transphobic, antisemitic, are going to be 'problematic'. Or in this context, something that corporations want you to STFU about, especially corporations like Disney.

SaintALia

So when is your Era ban up so you can go back there?
Was never on Era.

Interesting though, what exactly do you think I am defending, or attacking here? Someone pointed out something that was pretty off, and I pointed out how very many things were left out there.

ManaByte

Was never on Era.

Interesting though, what exactly do you think I am defending, or attacking here? Someone pointed out something that was pretty off, and I pointed out how very many things were left out there.
And people have asked you to provide proof and context for your list of -ists and you won’t do that. Just like the typical poster over there just labeling stuff with every buzzword you have to silence and censor someone. Some in here have tried to explain the context that you’re ignoring though.

SaintALia

And people have asked you to provide proof and context for your list of -ists and you won’t do that. Just like the typical poster over there just labeling stuff with every buzzword you have to silence and censor someone. Some in here have tried to explain the context that you’re ignoring though.
A list of what? What Carano did? Google that on your own. I never claimed I said those tweets were racist or whatever, I said the media and public outrage viewed it as that(and what Disney would view it as). I never even cared much about the drama surrounding her. But someone playing it off as 'just tweets' (the actual context I was replying to) and not bringing up the fact that it stretched over years, and the multiple shitstorms it caused her and the company is burying the lede a little I'd say. She had multiple chances that Disney would probably fire her for, which very ironically they didn't do because she was a woman, which is pretty hilarious.

But if you want the media and public outrage timelines:
https://www.insider.com/gina-carano-fired-the-mandalorian-controversy-timeline-twitter-2021-2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gina_Carano
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...ndalorian-holocaust-trump-covid-b1800802.html
https://populartimelines.com/timeline/Gina-Carano
https://www.themarysue.com/why-was-...lorian-the-gina-carano-controversy-explained/
https://nypost.com/2021/02/11/see-gina-caranos-tweets-and-posts-that-got-her-fired/
https://prezi.com/p/xmhwfs4tlbli/gina-carano-timeline/

Somewhere on Reddit probably has their own timeline for this.

Last edited:

SaintALia

Obviously the most neutral place on the internet for such things.
You can check the articles, or you can check Reddit. It was never about 'neutrality', it was about arranging a timeline of events to se what happened to her. I assumed somewhere on Reddit must compile controversies about movie stars and the timelines of 'rise and falls' and the various drama going on.

The only subreddit that comes close to that, that I know of is Deuxmois, but I think they're more of a gossip and celebrity news thing. I figure people who know Reddit better would be able to find that stuff

FunkMiller

There’s every chance Gina Carano and Jonathan Majors are both cunts, for very different reasons. But it goes without saying that someone saying something offensive is a lot less bad than someone physically assaulting another human being.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I find it funny how her old west movie was produced by Ben Shapiro but her fans called it "woke nonsense"

But she would have been on the show longer has she not compared being a Trump supporter to being a Jew in Nazi Germany.

And I'm not going to go further than that (too close to Pol)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The "controversial" tweets are just the right leaning version of the kind of political tweets you see from Mark Ruffalo or Chris Evans. The Instagram post that got her fired was the most absurd, how people twisted that to be antisemitic was deranged and shamelessly dishonest.
It was pure projection, something they gaslight us with 24/7. Just look at the BS coming out of Chicago and NY's political bards, a repeat of 2020 summer of gaslighting (and actual flames).

What she said wasn't even "right leaning" either, and not too long ago would have been a net neutral agreement. But the Overton has shifted so far now....

Last edited:
The "controversial" tweets are just the right leaning version of the kind of political tweets you see from Mark Ruffalo or Chris Evans. The Instagram post that got her fired was the most absurd, how people twisted that to be antisemitic was deranged and shamelessly dishonest.
Yeah, I'm Jewish and I didn't find it antisemitic at all. In fact from what I've seen of her tweets she seems like a real sweet person.

But she would have been on the show longer has she not compared being a Trump supporter to being a Jew in Nazi Germany.

And I'm not going to go further than that (too close to Pol)
She did not. Read the tweet in question. Her post was bipartisan in that it did not mention any specific political party or politician. It only mentioned the dangers of "othering" people based on politics. You also can't blame her for referencing the Holocaust, or in this case the time leading up to it, to make a point about treating people badly. Loads of people do that all of the time and never face any real criticism, much less any consequences.

The equivalent would be if 40 years ago an outspoken atheist said "it's okay to disagree with someone based on politics, but we shouldn't crucify each other over it" and then people who hate that person smeared them by saying they hate Christians. Then Disney, fearing a backlash and bad PR, fired the atheist.

Last edited:

Soodanim

She did not. Read the tweet in question. Her post was bipartisan in that it did not mention any specific political party or politician. It only mentioned the dangers of "othering" people based on politics. You also can't blame her for referencing the Holocaust, or in this case the time leading up to it, to make a point about treating people badly. Loads of people do that all of the time and never face any real criticism, much less any consequences.

The equivalent would be if 40 years ago an outspoken atheist said "it's okay to disagree with someone based on politics, but we shouldn't crucify each other over it" and then people who hate that person smeared them by saying they hate Christians. Then Disney, fearing a backlash and bad PR, fired the atheist.
I never saw much in defence of it at the time, but it always struck me as too benign to warrant the backlash it got. Reminds me of another famous woman's tweets that constantly get backlash from those who misunderstand but use them as ammo.

RAÏSanÏa

Should've saved Yahima in Lovecraft Country.

She hasn't really demonstrated any genuine empathy and understanding for those that she others in her posts. In general she appears unstable and thinks she's part of some imagined fight against oppression. Which seems to have led Carano to making that ridiculous equivalence regarding the Holocaust. Antivaxxers do that all the time, only a few types do. Most people on the political spectrum would not under any circumstances make that equivalence to their own tribulations. She might have been made an example of that it's intolerable, like with Gunn's joke.

She could've done the sane thing, self-reflected and apologized, like Gunn, and likely gotten her job back. She decided her comparisons were more imporant and took her career in a different direction.

Billbofet

I think Disney is inconsistent in how they react based on politics and identity. Letitia Wright was openly anti-vax and experienced no punishment from the big D.
That said, she shouldn't have, but there should be consistency outside of always leaning in one direction (Twitter bots).

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I think Disney is inconsistent in how they react based on politics and identity. Letitia Wright was openly anti-vax and experienced no punishment from the big D.
That said, she shouldn't have, but there should be consistency outside of always leaning in one direction (Twitter bots).

This I do not understand. Why is a company forced to keep someone on their books if their job is to appeal to the zeitgeist? Carano's comments about the Holocaust were clumsy as fuck and the kind of equivalence you'd expect from someone who watched an hour of [Insert Popular Thought Leader] on YOUTUBE, read a few WIKIPEDIA pages and now considers themselves informed. But they weren't bad or anti-Semitic.

What they were were WILDLY ill-timed and not at all appropriate for what she was analogizing. And certainly not something a C-List celebrity (at best) on an A-Lister show, who was already on shaky ground with the "Digital Republic" should have been verbalizing in their, again, fucking clumsy manner.

. . .she got bounced not because she is a bad person (she seems lovely when she's not trying to wax politically) but because she couldn't decide whether she wanted to be employed or brave.

Esca

Disney is going to wait til the verdict is in before any. They took a lot of shit dumping captain Jack sparrow and even more when he won. They won't do that twice

RCU005

If Disney and Marvel decide to recast (specially if he turns out to be innocent), I’ll just stop watching MCU movies for a while. This saga is not worth it as it is, and then with a sudden recast, it’ll just be worse.

Maybe I’ll wait to the next saga.

UnNamed

Banned
Carano's comments about the Holocaust were clumsy as fuck and the kind of equivalence you'd expect from someone who watched an hour of [Insert Popular Thought Leader] on YOUTUBE, read a few WIKIPEDIA pages and now considers themselves informed. But they weren't bad or anti-Semitic.
I don't know how many comments on Holocaust she made, but the one I've read was historically accurate. Maybe the analogy was a bit too much

ted-cruz-carano-75.jpeg

GymWolf

Can someone post a big news about this case so i can use the "this is a major update" joke that i have been saving since the topic was made?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
There’s every chance Gina Carano and Jonathan Majors are both cunts, for very different reasons. But it goes without saying that someone saying something offensive is a lot less bad than someone physically assaulting another human being.

IDGAF about actors other than their ability to entertain me and I miss Carano in the mandalorian. She was memorable as the ex shock trooper and had the actual physique to sell it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom