• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road "Black & Chrome" Edition - Releasing December 6th

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

So it's a black and white version? Why?

This is why:

1w2mO4v.jpg

For those curious there's been some chatter on the next Mad Max films from John Seale, DP on the film, and Mark Sexton, storyboard artist, where a Furiosa script is now done, originally set as a anime prequel in 2009. They're almost done on a Max centered script that's a prequel to Fury Road tentatively titled "The Wasteland" and is said to be more bleaker.
I would freak the fuck out if both films were made.

This has probably already been said but it should have been called Shiny and Chrome Edition.

Kinda to lazy to sift through the thread

Christine

I don't get it.

Was it originally shot in black & white?

It was originally shot with the intention of making a B&W print, yes. It's something George Miller has wanted to do since Road Warrior.

George Miller said:
The best version of Road Warrior was… they used to do a “slash dupe” in music. To make a really cheap print, they’d make a black and white version for the composer. They used to put lines [across it], if you see old documentary footage of composers in the past, you’d see them looking at the screen and conducting, that was a slash dupe, and it was black and white. And you’d mix the sound that way [too]. And every time I saw the black and white I thought “oh, my god!” It just reduces it to this really gutsy high-con black and white, very, very powerful.

GhaleonEB

I don't get it.

Was it originally shot in black & white?

I don't get it. People prefer this:

...to this?

It's not about preferring one over the other, which is why the release is including both. It's about using black and white to create a different, stylized version of the film. The color palette in Fury Road lends itself well to the shift to B&W and the pictures demonstrate that, though clearly that is up to personal preference. The relative lack of dialogue in Fury Road means it also lends itself well to a treatment as a silent film, ala Buster Keaton, which people have been noting since it came out. The B&W version is responding to that demand.

Personally, I think the B&W shots lend the film a bleakness that it didn't have with the intense colors used in the film, and I dig the tonal shift. It's like Ansel Adams gone metal.

29397696800_3774a3d41a_z.jpg

I don't know if stuff like this is allowed or not, but that's probably the funniest/most accurate thing I've read in a long time so I had to do something with it.

Monocle

Mildly annoyed that I'll have to double dip, but this movie is worth it.

So take away one of the most important and striking parts of the film, color?
Arguably it helps you appreciate different elements of the scenes. The compositions are easier to take in as a whole without color creating definite focal points. I mean, there's still contrast through value, but yeah.

krang

So we're at a stage where movie makers don't have to add additional stuff to the disc to get us to re-buy, they just take stuff away instead.

Just because some people don't see the point in a B&C version doesn't negate Miller's artistic talent and desire for a decolorized print. The whole point was because Miller's artistic vision saw a cut of MM:FR as being in black and white.

nded

If this was Miller's original intent, then that's reason enough for the release. It'll have both versions, so I don't see the dilemma here.

Garlador

So we're at a stage where movie makers don't have to add additional stuff to the disc to get us to re-buy, they just take stuff away instead.

On the INVERSE, I'd definitely prefer a version of Man of Steel and Batman v Superman that put the color back IN.

CloudWolf

Not the editing, compositions, and action-driven visual storytelling?

Well, that was done great too of course, but there are more films that excel on those fronts. The great use of color during the film is what really struck me since a lot of films these days seem to be afraid to use a lot of it.

diaspora

While I'm interested in seeing this movie without colour, I'm not sure I care for it being silent irrespective of the lack of dialogue.

So quick question: Why do I need a special blu-ray for this? Why don't I just change the color settings on my TV and switch it to 0% colors. That would effectively turn my colored BluRay into a black & white edition.

diaspora

DerZuhälter;216974632 said:
So quick question: Why do I need a special blu-ray for this? Why don't I just change the color settings on my TV and switch it to 0% colors. That would effectively turn my colored BluRay into a black & white edition.

I doubt they'd exclusively just set saturation to 0 when converting to B/W. Highlights, shadows, midtones, contrast were all probably modified.

Just to reiterate what a bunch of others were saying in the thread, Miller wanted to have a B&W version of the film without Dialogue. It didn't make it into the original release which is a bummer. That being said it is his preferred way to view the film.

I think it would be better to consider it a directors cut of the film. There will definitely be people who like the other releases more for various reasons(4k/3D/Colour), but there will definitely be people wanting to see the director's preferred version of the film which is why this exists.

We haven't seen how the B&W version looks yet. There is color grading involved even in B&W, if I'm understanding correctly.

Yes you are correct, even B&W films require color grading.

Something tells me the people asking "why" rarely watch black and white entertainment if ever.

Yo total sick burn, tell the sheeple!

R-User!

Excited, but where is the link, or when can I preorder?

Once again we send off my Wallet to bring back a Double Dip from Amazon and Special Features from the Warner Bros. Once again I salute my fellow NeoGAFer Simo and I salute my half-life GAFers who will post with me eternal on the servers of GAFhalla!

ONCE AGAIN, WHERE IS THE LINK, OR WHEN CAN I PREORDER?

Renpatsu

As some people have noted I don't think we've got any official shots of the B&W edition yet.

It's not like they're desaturating the original movie and calling it a day because you'll get a mess of contrast. There is still colour grading involved in this version of the film in order for the presentation to work correctly in B&W.

Wait, will I have to buy the collection to get the Black & Chrome edition?

Edit: looks like the answer is no. It will be available separately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom