• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road "Black & Chrome" Edition - Releasing December 6th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veelk

Banned
I'm not gonna begrudge people who want to see it, but I do wonder how far they can push this thing:

Mad Max: Fury Roar - enjoy the raw sounds of Miller's modern masterpiece by viewing the version of the movie without dialogue or the soundtrack distracting you from the truly important sounds, the engines. We hear nothing but the sound of cars and explosions.

Mad Max: Silent Road - you've seen Fury Road in 2015, buy have you ever wondered what if it were made in 1915? Enjoy this sub480p version of this instant classic, which removes all audio to replace it with an old timey jingle and flash cards placed into the movie to show what's happening in this glorious, blurry, sepia revision.

Mad Max: Empty Road - Do you enjoy Fury road, but are annoyed with all the audio and video cluttering up your screen? Please enjoy this special version of Fury Road that comes with a blank disc. That's right, it contains nothing whatsoever. Now you experience Miller's masterpiece by watching a blank screen for 2.5 hours. It is the purest way to view, only for the most extreme enthusiasts.

obin_gam

Mad Max: Fury Roar - enjoy the raw sounds of Miller's modern masterpiece by viewing the version of the movie without dialogue or the soundtrack distracting you from the truly important sounds, the engines. We hear nothing but the sound of cars and explosions.
I'd buy it.
Mad Max: Silent Road - you've seen Fury Road in 2015, buy have you ever wondered what if it were made in 1915? Enjoy this sub480p version of this instant classic, which removes all audio to replace it with an old timey jingle and flash cards placed into the movie to show what's happening in this glorious, blurry, sepia revision.
I'd buy that too.
Mad Max: Empty Road - Do you enjoy Fury road, but are annoyed with all the audio and video cluttering up your screen? Please enjoy this special version of Fury Road that comes with a blank disc. That's right, it contains nothing whatsoever. Now you experience Miller's masterpiece by putting in the discussion and watching a blank screen for 2.5 hours. It is the purest way to view, only for the most extreme enthusiasts.

And that one.

hEknnPN.jpg

aasoncott

For people wondering what makes this different from just turning saturation down on your TV, I took a random shot from the movie and made three different B&W versions.

sWIlReF.png

Making a black and white print isn't as simple as getting rid of colours. It's redoing the color correction on the entire movie, and can result in a number of drastically different looks.

karasu

Will the black and white version be in 4k? If so I am absolutely interested in seeing what that is like.

SRG01

For people wondering what makes this different from just turning saturation down on your TV, I took a random shot from the movie and made three different B&W versions.

sWIlReF.png

Making a black and white print isn't as simple as getting rid of colours. It's redoing the color correction on the entire movie, and can result in a number of drastically different looks.

How did you get the third one? It looks like you changed some of the curves, or remapped some of the colors?

aasoncott

How did you get the third one? It looks like you changed some of the curves, or remapped some of the colors?

Just brought down the cyans/blues and upped the oranges/reds. By pretty extreme amounts, though.

I didn't have anything in mind other than demonstrating how drastically different that frame can look, but suddenly I'm itching to do my own B&W version of the trailer.

He could always throw a curveball, but I'd suspect that a lot of the B&W print will look like a subtler version of the third one, with blues down and reds up. Bringing reds up really makes skin look fantastic, and bringing blues down would create a really awesome contrast with the ground, and let you really see the detail in flames against the sky.

But if you turned up the reds you'd also lose a lot of contrast in the shots where they spray chrome on their faces.

Hmm.

Is the Black and Chrome version altered or corrected in anyway to make it the ideal black and white version or would I get the same results turning the color down on my tv?

Gunna have to agree to disagree there.

The first image looks worlds better.

Brace for disappointment then, Miller is a fan of the high contrast style and the final product is going to have a lot more contrast than just lazily checking the "grayscale" box like the first image. But hey, if you want the movie to look like that you can do it yourself in all of 2 seconds.

Is the Black and Chrome version altered or corrected in anyway to make it the ideal black and white version or would I get the same results turning the color down on my tv?
It will be newly color timed, otherwise it would just be them omitting the color keys from the image to make it bw. The original Rocky Horror blu ray did that for the wizard of oz version.

Renpatsu

Even if you want to be as cynical as possible there is no benefit to either George Miller or WB putting out a B&W rerelease of the film if all they did was desaturate the film.
What's still up in the air is just to what degree they went back and redid the colour grading for the B&W version.

It will be newly color timed, otherwise it would just be them omitting the color keys from the image to make it bw. The original Rocky Horror blu ray did that for the wizard of oz version.

Even if you want to be as cynical as possible there is no benefit to either George Miller or WB putting out a B&W rerelease of the film if all they did was desaturate the film.
What's still up in the air is just to what degree they went back and redid the colour grading for the B&W version.

It was after I had posted when I saw there was already discussion about the possibilities of it. But you're saying it will definitely be reworked to suit B&W? Did I miss a link?

sWIlReF.png

Holy shit. Man I was just curious but now I'm very excited about watching the black and white version if it looks something like the third pic

It is blown out and all detail is lost.

Why would you want that?

Yes, but the sky becomes an awesome, vignette like effect. Makes the originally open and spacious image claustrophobic, greatly altering the way I read the image.

Plus, the white road is unexpected and visually surprising / interesting.

Not sure I'd like the whole movie like that, but it is crazy stylish.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I love Mad Max, but no for me for this.

I LOVED the colors in Fury Road. If I wanted B&W I could use my TV setting.

gabbo

Can't you just turn the color off on your TV to get the same effect?

Yes and no.
Yes you would get a black and white visual, but not one retimed/recorrecting to take advantage of the lack of colour in how the picture looks.
Ie this:

Originally Posted by aasoncott

sWIlReF.png

SecretDan

A mudslide of fun!
Brace for disappointment then, Miller is a fan of the high contrast style and the final product is going to have a lot more contrast than just lazily checking the "grayscale" box like the first image. But hey, if you want the movie to look like that you can do it yourself in all of 2 seconds.

Doubt it'll be as blown out as the third image.

Yes, but the sky becomes an awesome, vignette like effect. Makes the originally open and spacious image claustrophobic, greatly altering the way I read the image.

Plus, the white road is unexpected and visually surprising / interesting.

Not sure I'd like the whole movie like that, but it is crazy stylish.

It's not really stylish or interesting.

I'm not gonna begrudge people who want to see it, but I do wonder how far they can push this thing:

Mad Max: Empty Road - Do you enjoy Fury road, but are annoyed with all the audio and video cluttering up your screen? Please enjoy this special version of Fury Road that comes with a blank disc. That's right, it contains nothing whatsoever. Now you experience Miller's masterpiece by watching a blank screen for 2.5 hours. It is the purest way to view, only for the most extreme enthusiasts.

I know you're joking about this one, but I remember listening to George Miller on a podcast talk about finding himself on an airplane trip, watching Fury Road for about 2/3 of it with the sound off and still finding it a fascinating viewing experience.

Simo

Preorder!

Edit:

Mad Max High Octane Collection
BLURAY link: 79.99
http://a.co/dl2XWQF

Mad Max Fury Road: Black and Chrome
Two Film Collection: $29.98
http://a.co/2M8gWld

Nice! High Octane preordered despite owning some of the stand alone discs because I'd like to see the new docs and the UHD is a nice addition for when I eventually upgrade to 4K. Sucks though that the US gets screwed out of another Collector's Edition though. lol

Simo

Bit of a bump but Amazon has now listed the Interceptor CE for the High Octane set for a $240 price tag and also confirms new docs for The Road Warrior and Fury Road:
813Mdc2X9TL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LY9FHIG/?tag=neogaf0e-20
All four groundbreaking films – Mad Max, The Road Warrior, Mad Max Beyond. Thunderdome, and Mad Max: Fury Road – from visionary director George Miller.
- Collectible Interceptor Figurine – High Quality, hand-painted replica made of polyresin.
- Mad Max: Fury Road – Black & Chrome Edition – See the winner of six Academy Awards in a mind- blowing new black-and-white edition.
- - Introduction by George Miller on the Black & Chrome Edition and his original vision for Mad Max: Fury Road.
- Mad Max: Fury Road on 4K Ultra High Definition Blu-ray.
- Over three hours of new and rarely seen documentaries on the Mad Max movies. , including the new Road War documentary on Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior.
Includes UltraViolet so you can enjoy the film on many different compatible devices. MUST ENTER REDEMPTION CODE BY 2019-12-31 TO REDEEM ULTRAVIOLET OFFER. DOES NOT INCLUDE iTUNES FILE.

Oddly enough Amazon lists this CE as releasing October 25th and not December 6th?

I'm really into the B&W mock-ups people have done. As much as I love the extreme color palette of the original, I'm all in for this version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom