• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road "Black & Chrome" Edition - Releasing December 6th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takuan

So no 4K Black & Chrome, correct? Only the cinematic release of Fury Road?

Edit: And the 4K version only comes with the High Octane release.
kttcolipacspit

They also had very gritty promo pictures, if I recall correctly. I'm glad they went with the saturated look, though.

Nah that was also color graded in a much worse (post apocalyptic video game/book of eli) way. He's talking about the raw shooting footage.

But yeah since it was apparent they were planning on messing with the colors either way I'm so glad they went this route instead of the older promo pics

Nah that was also color graded in a much worse (post apocalyptic video game/book of eli) way. He's talking about the raw shooting footage.

But yeah since it was apparent they were planning on messing with the colors either way I'm so glad they went this route instead of the older promo pics
Ah right, yeah. Forgot how brown they were.

firelogic

Why are so many people complaining about the black and white version? It's just a special version for people that want it. The thing comes in the boxset along with all the mad max movies AND Fury Road in 1080p and 4k. What is there to complain about? I mean if the boxset ONLY contained the black and white version of Fury Road, maybe you'd have an argument.

Impulsor

Honest question.

Why would anyone want to watch this in black and white?

I mean, after watching the 4k movie in HDR, or even the normal 1080p bluray, for me colors in this movie are incredible and take part in setting the mood for a lot of moments of the film....

So.. yeah.

Why?

Pardon my ignorance but couldn't you just set your TVs color to zero and watch the regular bluray?
Its not that simple. There's a lot of color correction and effort done when converting the movie to B&W.

Think of this as watching a movie in 3D that was properly shot or converted to 3D versus watching a 2D movie in 3D with the forced simulation you can make a 3DTV output. Night and day difference isn't it?

The Llama

Its not that simple. There's a lot of color correction and effort done when converting the movie to B&W.

Think of this as watching a movie in 3D that was properly shot or converted to 3D versus watching a 2D movie in 3D with the forced simulation you can make a 3DTV output. Night and day difference isn't it?
So they both still suck?

:p

obin_gam

Honest question.

I mean, after watching the 4k movie in HDR, or even the normal 1080p bluray, for me colors in this movie are incredible and take part in setting the mood for a lot of moments of the film....

So.. yeah.

Why?

Because it's a good movie.

gabbo

Is this the full blown Black & Chrome, sans dialog and everything? Or just a graded black and white print of the original cut?

This is what I'd like to know too. The original Miller story made it a silent black and white version of the film with no dialogue and only a soundtrack.
Does this set mean that or just a B&W remaster?

Honest question.

So.. yeah.

Why?

It is the director's desire to have a true black and white version to capture his vision of how the film ought to be viewed. Color was a compromise that he made for the studio.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
It's not about preferring one over the other, which is why the release is including both. It's about using black and white to create a different, stylized version of the film. The color palette in Fury Road lends itself well to the shift to B&W and the pictures demonstrate that, though clearly that is up to personal preference. The relative lack of dialogue in Fury Road means it also lends itself well to a treatment as a silent film, ala Buster Keaton, which people have been noting since it came out. The B&W version is responding to that demand.

Personally, I think the B&W shots lend the film a bleakness that it didn't have with the intense colors used in the film, and I dig the tonal shift. It's like Ansel Adams gone metal.

Amen. Just enjoy both

Simo

Excited, but where is the link, or when can I preorder?

Once again we send off my Wallet to bring back a Double Dip from Amazon and Special Features from the Warner Bros. Once again I salute my fellow NeoGAFer Simo and I salute my half-life GAFers who will post with me eternal on the servers of GAFhalla!

ONCE AGAIN, WHERE IS THE LINK, OR WHEN CAN I PREORDER?

NOBODY HAS IT!

Well the US version anyway. Amazon Germany and France put this up for preorder a couple of months ago which is why some of us knew about it's existence already, we just didn't know if it was going to be released worldwide.

This is what I'd like to know too. The original Miller story made it a silent black and white version of the film with no dialogue and only a soundtrack.
Does this set mean that or just a B&W remaster?

No clue. The press release didn't reveal specs or anything and according to the Amazon euro pages there are new documentaries for The Road Warrior and Thunderdome discs in the new boxset.

Impulsor

It is the director's desire to have a true black and white version to capture his vision of how the film ought to be viewed. Color was a compromise that he made for the studio.

Understood then.

If black and white was teh director's vision for the movie I can understand wanting to see this in black and white.

Simo

Understood then.

If black and white was teh director's vision for the movie I can understand wanting to see this in black and white.

The film was always going to be in color and they knew they would be manipulating them as such because there was no lighting continuity on set during filming. lol

Miler's own words though about the B&W version. This one is from January of this year talking about whether or not the B&W version will ever be released in theaters or another home release:
“Not in cinemas. The best version of Road Warrior was what we called a ‘slash dupe’, a cheap, black-and-white version of the movie for the composer. Something about it seemed more authentic and elemental.

So I asked Eric Whipp, the [Fury Road] colorist, ‘Can I see some scenes in black and white with quite a bit of contrast?’ They looked great. So I said to the guys at Warner, ‘Can we put a black-and-white version on the DVD?’ There wasn’t enough room. [It’ll end up] on another version with commentary and other features”

This one from May 2015 during the press screenings and tour:
We spent a lot of time in DI (digital intermediate), and we had a very fine colorist, Eric Whipp. One thing I’ve noticed is that the default position for everyone is to de-saturate post-apocalyptic movies. There’s only two ways to go, make them black and white — the best version of this movie is black and white, but people reserve that for art movies now. The other version is to really go all-out on the color. The usual teal and orange thing? That’s all the colors we had to work with. The desert’s orange and the sky is teal, and we either could de-saturate it, or crank it up, to differentiate the movie. Plus, it can get really tiring watching this dull, de-saturated color, unless you go all the way out and make it black and white.

The best version of Road Warrior was… they used to do a “slash dupe” in music. To make a really cheap print, they’d make a black and white version for the composer. They used to put lines [across it], if you see old documentary footage of composers in the past, you’d see them looking at the screen and conducting, that was a slash dupe, and it was black and white. And you’d mix the sound that way [too]. And every time I saw the black and white I thought “oh, my god!” It just reduces it to this really gutsy high-con black and white, very, very powerful.

Funny though, everyone talking about the B&W version make note it's the "silent" soundtrack too where all dialog is removed and only the sound effects and score remain.

Toparaman

Banned
Yeah I hope the dialog is gone. Some of it was kinda cringy. The musical score is god-tier though. I listen to "Brothers in Arms" all the time.

Have they clarified if the special features come on the Fury Road Black and Chrome edition?

I want them, but I really don't want to do an 80 dollar double dip.

Carnby

It's not about preferring one over the other, which is why the release is including both. It's about using black and white to create a different, stylized version of the film. The color palette in Fury Road lends itself well to the shift to B&W and the pictures demonstrate that, though clearly that is up to personal preference. The relative lack of dialogue in Fury Road means it also lends itself well to a treatment as a silent film, ala Buster Keaton, which people have been noting since it came out. The B&W version is responding to that demand.

Personally, I think the B&W shots lend the film a bleakness that it didn't have with the intense colors used in the film, and I dig the tonal shift. It's like Ansel Adams gone metal.

Honestly, I just think the whole idea is a terrible idea and a bad gimmick.

GhaleonEB

Honestly, I just think the whole idea is a terrible idea and a bad gimmick.

And that's fine, it's why the original version of the film exists, and this is coming out seperate or in a collector's package. I like black and white photography and Miller is pretty passionate about this version of the film, so I'm eager to check it out.

Carnby

And that's fine, it's why the original version of the film exists, and this is coming out seperate or in a collector's package. I like black and white photography and Miller is pretty passionate about this version of the film, so I'm eager to check it out.

I like black and white photography too. Not color pictures with black and white filters, which is what Miller did with this movie.

GhaleonEB

I like black and white photography too. Not color pictures with black and white filters, which is what Miller did with this movie.

Miller also applied filters and color correction to get the film looking how it looks now, which is lovely. I do not see this as an issue.

Carnby

Miller also applied filters and color correction to get the film looking how it looks now, which is lovely. I do not see this as an issue.

The movie was shot in color. My point still stands. Adding a B&W filter on a movie that was shot and lite with the intention of being viewed in color is still nothing but a bad gimmick. Much like adding a B&W filter on a color photo is not B&w photography.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Just taking the film as is and making it black and white seems pretty gimmicky to me. Black and white really needs to be lit differently than how you would light for color in most cases. I feel like just about anything slow and/or focused on the characters will look pretty great, since the film has some terrific and very graphic framing, but a lot of the larger action sequences (which is like half the movie) will probably look pretty messy.

Will probably be an interesting novelty, but this is essentially the same basic thing as films that use post-converted 3D rather than actually shooting it in 3D.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
http://i.imgur.com/1w2mO4v.jpg

Doesn't look as awesome without the fire being in color.

Honestly, some sections of the movie being in color with like the explosions and Sandstorm while the rest being in black and white would be amazing to see from the art perspective.

Just taking the film as is and making it black and white seems pretty gimmicky to me. Black and white really needs to be lit differently than how you would light for color in most cases. I feel like just about anything slow and/or focused on the characters will look pretty great, since the film has some terrific and very graphic framing, but a lot of the larger action sequences (which is like half the movie) will probably look pretty messy.

George Miller intended for the film to be black and white originally, because WB went "uh, no. That's not marketable." So I highly doubt the lightening will be an issue.

The movie was shot in color. My point still stands. Adding a B&W filter on a movie that was shot and lite with the intention of being viewed in color is still nothing but a bad gimmick. Much like adding a B&W filter on a color photo is not B&w photography.

That is where the digital color timing and grading comes in. The Coen Brothers shot The Man Who Wasn't There in color, but altered it to be in B&W as per their original intention. They shot in color because of foreign markets, but still were able to make their preferred B&W version. Miller is doing the same now. Miller just has better tools at his disposal now.

diaspora

This isn't about B/W being better or worse than colour, it's that being monochrome and graded differently offers a different mood and experience to the film versus the bright colours. Some people just want to see Miller's other take. Saying "you'd prefer x over y?" misses the point- it's less about thinking one is better than the other and more about "I want to see what monochrome and different colour grading offers the film in mood and experience.

FyreWulff

Almost nobody will shoot in actual black and white medium because it requires a whole different method of applying makeup and effects (ie, you have to dress people and scenes in weird colors to get the actual "color" in the final B&W film you're going for), requires film that is prone to damage easily, and so on.

Black and white camera makeup:

televison-makeup.jpg

Black and white show set:

original.jpg

It's much more practical to just use a color camera and then do the proper grading and work to 'downconvert' to black and white than shoot using actual black and white technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom