• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2022-2023 Regular Season and Playoffs lOTl

Who will win the NBA championship?

• Warriors

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Suns

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Nuggets

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Wizards

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nets

• Bulls

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Mavericks

• Jazz

• Clippers

• Cavaliers

• Heat

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • 76ers

• Lakers

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Grizzlies

• Trailblazers

• Knicks

• Hornets

• Raptors

• Thunder

• Celtics

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Kings

• Bucks

• Spurs

• Pacers

• Hawks

• Total voters

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dont care who wins. But I got a parlay bet of Brown getting 20 pts and Embiid getting a double-double. The rebounds I'm worried about. For a giant guy, Embiid only averages about 10 rebounds per game the past 20 or 30 games. Brown getting 20 pts and Embiied get 10 should be virtual locks.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
NBAGAF: Question - Do I need to stop wearing my Warriors 2022 championship hoodie now and at what point can I start wearing it again?
The Warriors are still technically the defending champs until someone wins the title.

Sort of like how when a new president gets elected , there's still that previous asshole in the oval office for a couple of months...

Topher

Gold Member
Didn't realize we had a NBA thread. Nice. Hoping my Celtics can pull out a win today. Definitely feel like the overall champion is coming out of the east this year between Celtics, Sixers and Heat.

NBAGAF: Question - Do I need to stop wearing my Warriors 2022 championship hoodie now and at what point can I start wearing it again?

That championship doesn't ever go away, my man. Wear it with pride.

Lunarorbit

Is Ja Morant the biggest idiot in the NBA?
I had the game on at work and was half paying attention and I thought it was weird they were still talking about ja's gun incident at shotgun willy's.
Didn't realize we had a NBA thread. Nice. Hoping my Celtics can pull out a win today. Definitely feel like the overall champion is coming out of the east this year between Celtics, Sixers and Heat.

That championship doesn't ever go away, my man. Wear it with pride.
Tatum looking nice. Finally driving to the lane. I'm optomistic about our chances
Halftime. How does Embiid only have 1 rebound? For an MVP, he's got to be slowest laziest one ever.
And mark Jackson leaves joker off his mvp list. Jackson is such a fraud.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
And mark Jackson leaves joker off his mvp list. Jackson is such a fraud.
Jokic is clearly a better player. Granted Embiid beat him by 9 pts per game. But he also shot 6 more times per game. Jokic has better stats in almost every other category..... rebounds, assists, steals, takes less fouls, much better 2P and 3P shooting %. Embiid has a brtter FT % and gets more blocks.

Jokic can score and create by himself. Sounds crazy that a centre is the best playmaker on a team but he's that good. Embiid's style is one dimensional. Wait to be fed the ball and then shoot or drive the net hoping for a foul to boot. If his shooting is off or nobody is feeding him the ball well, he doesn't have enough skill to act as playmaker as a backup plan. Jokic can have a bad pts night and still get 12 assists.

Jokic gets a triple double about half the time which is insane.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Its crazy how lethargic Embiid is this game. Right from the beginning he's barely running or hustling. He was just guarding Tatum whose on a roll. Instead of putting his hands up or trying to defend, he just lets Tatum launch a 3pt shot in to the net uncontested.

He doesn't even hustle for rebounds. If the ball doesn't bounce to him, he wont really move to grab it. If you want to see someone hustle for rebounds, watch Sabonis. That guy is like Rodman trying to beat people to a rebound. Embiid could get 15+ rebounds per game. He just has to move.

As I said above, laziest MVP I've ever seen.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Its crazy how lethargic Embiid is this game. Right from the beginning he's barely running or hustling. He was just guarding Tatum whose on a roll. Instead of putting his hands up or trying to defend, he just lets Tatum launch a 3pt shot in to the net uncontested.

He doesn't even hustle for rebounds. If the ball doesn't bounce to him, he wont really move to grab it. If you want to see someone hustle for rebounds, watch Sabonis. That guy is like Rodman trying to beat people to a rebound. Embiid could get 15+ rebounds per game. He just has to move.

As I said above, laziest MVP I've ever seen.

I noticed that about Embiid as well. Totally gave up.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I noticed that about Embiid as well. Totally gave up.
they gave Embiid the MVP because they were tired of giving it to Jokic, simple as. It's happened before in the NBA. Also, it has to be said, the media was manipulating the situation weeks before, by insinuating that voting for him again was racist. Especially ESPN and Kendrick Perkins

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
they gave Embiid the MVP because they were tired of giving it to Jokic, simple as. It's happened before in the NBA. Also, it has to be said, the media was manipulating the situation weeks before, by insinuating that voting for him again was racist. Especially ESPN and Kendrick Perkins

Pretty much. It is clearly Jovic is the best player in the NBA. I do think Embiid is deserving of the award, but he did not look like the MVP today, when it counted the most.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Pretty much. It is clearly Jovic is the best player in the NBA. I do think Embiid is deserving of the award, but he did not look like the MVP today, when it counted the most.
when has Embiid ever looked like the MVP when he had to look like the MVP?

Topher

Gold Member
when has Embiid ever looked like the MVP when he had to look like the MVP?

It is a good question. He isn't a clutch player. Contrast him with Tatum, who was largely absent most of game 6, but came alive in the end to win it and took the game over in the second half of game 7 scoring 51 points and grabbing 13 rebounds. Tatum is the guy who looks like the MVP when the team needs a MVP.

thefool

Doc/Harden/Embiid are gonna get a ton of heat but you really can't do anything when Celtics get hot like this.
Last year Bucks went home because Grant Williams, a guy who is barely getting minutes, became Ray Allen in game 7 and made every corner 3.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Was dead tired and took a nap after dinner and woke up with about 5 minutes left in the game. I think Denver was up by 12 when I checked my phone. I had two bets going.

One came in already. Denver to win + Murray 25 pts + Jokic to get 2 or more steals/blocks. Nice one at 3-1 odds.

My second bet was James 25 pts + Davis to get 10 rebounds. 1-1 odds. Davis had 7 rebounds. I thought I was cooked. Lied on my bed, looked at my phone and he had 8.

Got my ass up, grabbed a drink, turned on the TV and sat at my laptop. Davis at 9. Denver was only winning by 5. I thought I was going to get burned by missing by 1 pt or 1 rebound which has happened many time! I was fumbling around trying to find which sports channel had the game on. Found it. Denver only by 3. I checked my phone and he grabbed a 10th rebound. He must had grabbed it in the final couple minutes. Thank you AD!

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Thank you Butler. Won another bet.

As for the game, what a weird one. Celtics did fine first half. Second half they couldnt defend Miami and the players didn't want to pass it to Tatum. Granted he did turn the ball over a bunch of times, but still it's like every player grabbed the ball and drove the net as if they all think they are Jordan or Lebron. Tatum should be the one controlling the play. And if someone has the ball, look to pass it to Tatum to air out a 3 pt shot. He only took three 3 pt shots all game!

Jimmy Butler was on fire.

Playoff Butler continues to be a scary motherfucker. That third quarter from Miami was just too much.
But I still think Tatum is going to get his ring this year.

Last edited:

Vestal

Gold Member
9 down 7 to go.. What Miami is doing this playoff run is just different.

Celtics were(like the Knicks and Bucks before them):
out Coached
out Hustled
out Executed

Going to call it our CHE(not chi).. That's the Miami DNA.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Butler did it again. And Celtics did the same thing as game 1. Tatum barely touched the ball in the 4th quarter.

Lowry is awful. He almost single handedly blew the game. In 17 minutes, he was -21. Just about everyone else on the team was a +.

Thank you Heat. Won a few more bets. That +10 pt spread against them was a gift!

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
9 down 7 to go.. What Miami is doing this playoff run is just different.

Celtics were(like the Knicks and Bucks before them):
out Coached
out Hustled
out Executed

Going to call it our CHE(not chi).. That's the Miami DNA.
On paper it doesn't even make sense. Celts should be beating Miami.

Butler is awesome. So is Tatum. Bam is solid, but erratic sometimes. So is Brown. Herro isnt even playing. Heat are using has beens like Lowry and Love off their bench.

Vestal

Gold Member

Butler is awesome. So is Tatum. Bam is solid, but erratic sometimes. So is Brown. Herro isnt even playing. Heat are using has beens like Lowry and Love off their bench.
Maybe we need to stop looking at the paper and start looking at the court.

The better team is winning this series. Did anyone have any doubt that Miami was going to win this game down the stretch?

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Maybe we need to stop looking at the paper and start looking at the court.

The better team is winning this series. Did anyone have any doubt that Miami was going to win this game down the stretch?
The second Grant Williams started chirping, I said “it’s over” aloud to the people around me. What a stupid move that was.

What impresses me about the Heat is not that they look headed to the Finals yet again, it’s how much energy they have with such little depth at SG at the end of games.

Heat teams are always the best conditioned, best coached in the NBA, but damn.

Also, playoff Jimmy is the best player in the NBA.

Topher

Gold Member
Celtics breaking my heart over here. What is with this inability to win on their home court? The struggled at home against the Sixers as well

Last edited:

Vestal

Gold Member
The second Grant Williams started chirping, I said “it’s over” aloud to the people around me. What a stupid move that was.

What impresses me about the Heat is not that they look headed to the Finals yet again, it’s how much energy they have with such little depth at SG at the end of games.

Heat teams are always the best conditioned, best coached in the NBA, but damn.

Also, playoff Jimmy is the best player in the NBA.
They all believe.. I think that is what best describes this Heat team. Every single one of them is playing like a DOG.

I am going to go out on a limb and say..

BAM + Jimmy = Best duo in the East and its not even close right now.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Ive been watching more basketball playoffs this year since I've been doing bets, but never realized hw biased American play by play guys are for Celtics and Lakers. I'm watching the Lakers game now. Jokic just made a tough basket and the guy sounds comatose. James or Davis get a basket and it's like he hit the lottery.

During the Celts/Heat game yesterday, Heat won yet Celts got more hyped up during the game.

Its an ESPN telecast. Youd think it would be a national unbiased game. Not a homer regional/local sports channel game.

Last edited:
Ive been watching more basketball playoffs this year since I've been doing bets, but never realized hw biased American play by play guys are for Celtics and Lakers. I'm watching the Lakers game now. Jokic just made a tough basket and the guy sounds comatose. James or Davis get a basket and it's like he hit the lottery.

During the Celts/Heat game yesterday, Heat won yet Celts got more hyped up during the game.

Its an ESPN telecast. Youd think it would be a national unbiased game. Not a homer regional/local game.

Announcers seem to be screaming for nuggets role players hitting all these daggers though.

thefool

Disgusting refball. That was more wrestling than basketball. Good thing Denver was hot af because refs made everything they could to extend the series.

Amiga

In competitive sports , in the top 1% mentality makes the difference over skill. This Celtics team has ZERO clutch.. They don't even need to clutch, just a bit of bottle and they would've even had a ring from last year.

A team full of millennial mentality.. sigh:messenger_weary:

Topher

Gold Member
Oh.....Boston.....

No Way Smh GIF

Top Bottom