• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2022-2023 Regular Season and Playoffs lOTl

Who will win the NBA championship?

• Warriors

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Suns

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Nuggets

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Wizards

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nets

• Bulls

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Mavericks

• Jazz

• Clippers

• Cavaliers

• Heat

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • 76ers

• Lakers

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Grizzlies

• Trailblazers

• Knicks

• Hornets

• Raptors

• Thunder

• Celtics

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Kings

• Bucks

• Spurs

• Pacers

• Hawks

• Total voters

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Thanks Miami. Won a few more bets. Will take Miami more for game 4. Amazing. Miami tonight was the underdog! Took them in the pt spread +4 and moneyline and won both. lol

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Tatum has to be the most overrated "superstar" the league has seen in a minute.
I dont follow Celts. But throughout the playoffs the commentators keep saying how many 3 pt bombs they do. Looks like once the 3 pointers disappear so does the team. Laziest team out there. They remind me of Embiid last rebound. When the shots are hitting, it's a good win. When the shots miss, a bunch of lazy guys who just stand around. When the 3 pt shot isn't working, you'd think Tatum would drive the net and try to draw fouls and FT. He's done that before in other rounds. But in this game he kind of just stood by the perimeter like he's afraid.

The only guy who I've seen constantly hustle in limited time (like tonight in garbage time) is that short white guy Pritchard. He actually looks pretty good for the limited time he gets. He zips around passing and has a good shot.

Anyone can tell guys like Zeller are bench players who come in to fill a role (rebounder/defender). That typical lanky centre whose purpose is to come in and give Bam some rest time. Cory/Cody Zeller (whatever his name is) outhustled the entre Celtics team!

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Lebron has 31 points in the first half - the most points he's ever scored in half a playoff game in his entire career. Looks like we got our vintage Lebron game after all.
Lakers gotta win this...

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Thank you Denver! Won 4 bets! Two parlays, pt spread and moneyline.

I was damn nervous midwy through the game. James and Reaves were lights out racking up pts. But then in the second half their teammates play keep away and Davis, Schroeder and Hachimura go cold. Exact same thing happened with Celtics. Tatum does pretty well early in the game and then late, the team doesn't even want to pass him the ball.

Then again James and Tatum are similar. The later the game goes the less aggressive they are. Instead of driving the net trying to score or draw FT, they play point guard passing the ball at the 3 pt lines.

Weird shit. You;d never see Jordan in the 4th quarter standing around playing point guard. He'll still drive and score. Even the commentators tonight called James out. But maybe he was gassed. I didn't realize till checking the boxscore he played the entire game!

Betting tip for you sports gamblers: Porter Jr gets a double double about half the time. But often times he'll get a crazy odd. I took him at +425. He barely accomplished it today but it still counts. But at odds like that its well worth the risk. Anytime he's at +200 or more, its a big value play.

Last edited:

killatopak

I think I voted Denver to win in the polls before the trade deadline. I really didn’t think the Lakers would get this far being my go to team. Lebron is too old or still have nagging injuries that made him inconsistent throughout the playoff run. He needs that fixed this off season.

7mO9gkA.jpg

thefool

He's just too damn good. He's been the best player in the league last few years but, by chance, he was playing with bums during the playoffs and never got the respect he is about to get.
Hats off to Pelinka, he made the lakers competitive at the trade deadline.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Got a bunch of Miami bets tonight. Pt spread Miami to win by 2 pts or more, must be 215 pts or more, some Caleb and Gabe stat lines. Let’s go!

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Damn heat. Won 2 of my 5 Heat bets for a small loss.

Celtics re such a predictable team. They have zero inside game aside from Williams doing dunks. Half their pts come from 3 pt bombs. Just guard the perimeter a bit tighter. Heat allowed so many wide open Celts 3 pt shots.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Miami toast. Although it's crazy how they almost won the gme with most of their players shooting terrbly.

Some reason the Heat coach barely played Robinson who played well (except his missed late 3 pt shots). And despite Highsmith playing well last game, he got zero minutes. Puzzling.

Jimmy Butler afraid to drive the net. Williams got him intimidated. But in the 4th the team stormed back because he was playing more aggressive. Miss a shot but at least drain FTs. He should had done that the first 3 quarters instead of taking weak turnaround jumpers.

Last edited:

EekTheKat

Apparently it pays huge dividends to have a Derrick/Derek on your playoff team with title aspirations just for these last second shots.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Been having fun these playoffs just recently winning bets on Denver and Miami. But last few games with Celts coming on strong, I stacked on some Caleb Martin bets which he was set with really low thresholds. Most of them came in. I think 4/5. But they got smart and boosted up the required stats in game 7 by a solid 5-6 pts! No thanks.

But Duncan Robinson is set abnormally low. I did a bunch of bets on him where the low mark bet is needing 9 pts and the high mark bet needing 14 combined pts, rebound, assists. And a few more bets in between needing 10 of stuff.

As long as Dunc gets 14 pts straight up, I win them all regardless of rebounds and assists.

I also took Celtics to win.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Dumb ass Celts lost my bet, but I got my 4 Robinson bets! Made a mistake and the top threshold bet was 12 (pts + rebounds + assists). The others were 9, 10, 10. So nailed them all! Caleb Martin a stud. I could had continued my bets with him and he would covered them all as exploded for pts and rebounds.

I said it earlier for you betters, if you see some players with some abnormally low threshold bets (pts, rebounds etc...) look for them. Porter on Denver was set oddly low and so were Martin and Robinson this series. In the Denver series they were making Porter double-double bets +425 and he's been playing so much and using him as a rebounder second to Jokic he's been getting double-doubles half the time all playoffs. Hopefully, they set these bets with giant odds again. It took the betting site to game 7 to finally make Martin require higher stats to make an over/under bet.

I started watching the game in the second quarter and they said Tatum was gimping. I didn't realize till later in the game where they did a replay that he got injured the first play of the game. Wow.

Tatum's injured ankle hurt them, but Celts live and die by the 3 pt shot again. Shot terribly at 21%.

I disagree with Butler getting MVP. He might had more pts, but Martin was much more consistent. He shot 60% overall, including 48% for 3 pts and 87% FT. Butler had really good games and some bad ones.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Tatum coming up small this series will be overlooked because of that ankle turn and his wingman somehow being worse...way worse. 8 turnovers in a game worse.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
What also sunk the Celts was being behind the 8 ball right from the beginning. When I started watching Heat were already winning by like 12-15 pts in the second. At the time I checked the boxscore and Brogdon played 7 minutes and was already a -15 +/- midway through the second period. He didn't even play the rest of the game. Sounds like he wasnt ready and the Heat took advantage every time he was on the court.

Celts came back a bit later (I think they got it down to 8 pts) before Heat pulled away.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
There's gotta be something in the water in Florida!
The Heat & Panthers in their respective Finals. How are the Marlins doin'? :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
How much money have you won so far?
Hardly any. I dont bet to make profit or a living. I just do it for fun. Even just putting $5 on a game makes a late night west coast game I dont care about much more exciting to watch. I'm only up $200 over 7 months with a starting bank roll of $500. My goal is to see how long I can last.

Almost all my bets are just $3-10. Most of my bets are just standard $5.

I find NBA is easiest, NHL medium and baseball oddly hard. Many boosted parlay bets in baseball involve a guy getting a HR as one factor. Hard to do. Even Judge or Trout hit a HR only maybe 20-25% of games.

There's one part of me that wants to amp up the bets adding a 0 to my bets where all my bets are $30-100 but I dont want to get out of hand.

There's so many betting options, what I do is the following. It's been a fun time doing it and learning the intricacies of player trends and how betting sites adjust their odds.

1. Team bets
- See the moneyline payout. Some teams get unusually big odds as an underdog. NHL is a sport where the visiting team has a decent chance of winning. Anytime I see a decent team with a +150-250 that hits my radar. It'll be a hockey game where they will be the visiting team playing a good team at home. Its worth it to me to take the underdog at a good odd like that. If the moneylines suck that night I do the next one.........

- Check the pt spread or goals/pts over/under

- In NBA, a team can be up 15 pts in the first half. But pending the starting odds, the site might just adjust the moving in-game pt spread only partially from lets say 4 to 8. Well, the team is at 15. Basketball things can change fast, but if you hurry up and do an in-progress bet, you got a 7 pt buffer to play with. Cross your fingers your team doesn't blow it. As the game progresses, the betting sites will close the gap. So in the 4th quarter, that 15 pt lead will end up being a 14-16 over/under. No buffer

- In NHL, I like to check who the starting goalie is. If possible, bet against teams playing a shit back up. There's many sites. I use this one. https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/starting-goalies

2. Player bets
- In NBA, look for players who have oddly low pt, rebound, assist, double-double thresholds

- In NHL, looks for players who have a 0.5 pt threshold and bet the over. Only for players with a +100 or better pay out. I look at their stats and if it seems they get a pt every other game or better and they are playing a half crappy team/goalie that game I'll take them. But very important.... a player with 30 pts in 60 games is not every other game. Their game log might show they got some some lucky 2, 3 or even a 4 pt game. So the actual number of instances of getting a point might only be 22 times in 60 games. Which the chances of getting a point is only 35%. So I look for players that have lots of boring 1 pt games which proves they get pts more spread out than in bunches. I'd rather pick a player with 30 pts in 60 games getting at least 1 pt in 28 games, than a similar guy getting pts in 22. Sometimes you'll get a +100 or more payout for guys trending more than 50% which is even better

3. Important tip
- If you see a team with an totally odd awesome payout odd, make sure to check game news. There's a chance a player just got injured and is skipping the game with an afternoon announcement before game time. Betting sites are smart enough to adjust odds fast. I got burned one time doing a bet and lost. You can always pull back your bet before the game starts (and some bets allow partial cash outs during the game), but that bet was one of those locked and loaded bets. So that was on me for jumping the gun. Lesson learned. That was a game Embiid ended up skipping and I missed the afternoon roster update. This just doesn't go for injured players. But any allstar player can have the day off, load management, bereavement leave etc...

Last edited:

Rickyiez

I think people underestimate the fatigue of having to play a few more games of this level of intensity.

Denver in 6

It's a final that I'm cool with any of them winning, Jokic and Butler are amazing players with great personality.

Last edited:
Top Bottom