• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Players are complaining about visual problems in the Final Fantasy VII Rebirth demo

Quantum253

Those blurry rock textures were were present on my performance play through (1080p monitor) along side house frames, metal piping, etc. However, you had to run up right next to it in order to see it, or place your camera into a particular position. There were a few spots where it stood out but that was on the edge of the play area where no one would go except to explore.
I'm sure they will patch it, but you really have to be looking for it to notice.

Moses85

Its a Demo… the Final build will be awesome
Its Happening GIF by MOODMAN

zokie

i usually do not care about the twitter drama , especially the famous JPG door texture in 2020 for FFVII Remake on PS4

what matters to me is that , does the game gives me motion sickness or not ? mostly FPS will give me mo-sickness

For Remake and Rebirth , i only care about gameplay , " new story " and replay value

in summary , if the picky twitter people can have their own views , why i can't have mine as well ?

You can skip here following if you do not have time to read : i do not play FPS cos i suffer from motion sickness since the early days of gaming and it took me 1 year to complete RE VII becos i got to buy it to find out what happen to Chris and gang

Last edited:
Those blurry rock textures were were present on my performance play through (1080p monitor) along side house frames, metal piping, etc. However, you had to run up right next to it in order to see it, or place your camera into a particular position. There were a few spots where it stood out but that was on the edge of the play area where no one would go except to explore.
I'm sure they will patch it, but you really have to be looking for it to notice.
Played a bit on my 1080p monitor too.

Didn't see much of image unstability besides the usual stuff, I did see on other for example Capcom titles on consoles was there though.

A bit of shimmer on hair etc but I think it did look better than Resident Evil 4. Different engines, different AA solutions, so different results I guess. I generally think it looks better than RE4 in this department.

I guess with a few patches they could improve stuff here and there. But maybe only aliasing or the effect stuff being lower res as DF pointed out. So generally speaking image quality stability improvements.

Rock textures here and there looked last gen. So I guess some people can get a bit pissed off they are charging next gen prices.

Framerate was stable in performance mode so at least, that's that. That's what's important for me lately.

As for 30 fps. Saw some posts that it is extremely smooth. For me not so much, huge input lag going from 60 to 30. I get the same 🤢🤮 as in Far Cry's I played on console at 30 and never finished because of it, even on PS4 PRO- I did switch a lot between COD and Far Cry so maybe that's why. Maybe I've grown out of 30 in this gen. I generally always turn on performance modes on any PS5 titles- sacrificing a few of the effects for better frames.

I guess going forward with PS5 Pro or PS6 I think they should really go with a better upscale solution or downsampling. With a lot of debate lately being about the TAA or FSR solutions.

I generally am pretty sure I had less of an image stability problems on PS4 Pro back in the day with checkerboard solutions and downsampling. And I lately get the feeling I am not imagining stuff.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Dont buy it until the PS5 pro or PC version comes, these devs are taking the piss in big 2024.

Were all playing on high fidelity screens mostly 4k and mostly 40" and up, some of us on OLED.

If you cant optimize your game to look good in that fidelity maybe worth considering dropping your level of details and graphical targets so its sharp and runs at 60fps.

Times and standards have changed as they should.

Goes for the console manufacturers also, you need to make some sort of super clever upscaling like NVIDIA or go balls to the wall with your hardware or youll be left behind within a year or two.

Future is now.

Go_Ly_Dow

Dont buy it until the PS5 pro or PC version comes, these devs are taking the piss in big 2024.

Were all playing on high fidelity screens mostly 4k and mostly 40" and up, some of us on OLED.

If you cant optimize your game to look good in that fidelity maybe worth considering dropping your level of details and graphical targets so its sharp and runs at 60fps.

Times and standards have changed as they should.

Goes for the console manufacturers also, you need to make some sort of super clever upscaling like NVIDIA or go balls to the wall with your hardware or youll be left behind within a year or two.

Future is now.

How so? The game has a stable 30 and 60 mode with the quality mode seemingly rendering at near native 4k/2160p according to VG tech.

PS5 in Graphics Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2880x1620. Pixel counts at or near 2880x1620 seem to be uncommon on PS5 in Graphics Mode.

How is this "taking the piss in big 2024" exactly?

Last edited:

SABRE220

I really dont know what they are doing at the studio...this is probably their biggest ip release and they somehow managed to make it look worse than their last gen release. The polygon budget management is abysmal where even the character models look derpy as hell and this was the main strength of the ps4 release..., the environments look ps3ish at far too many points and the textures and assets are just zero effort. You cant even blame ue4 or the hardware here since days gone looks better and far more consistent on a damn ps4.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

How so? The game has a stable 30 and 60 mode with the quality mode seemingly rendering at near native 4k/2160p according to VG tech.

How is this "taking the piss in big 2024" exactly?
Well the 30 mode is extremely choppy and noticeably not native 4k, its alot softer than other 4k games.

These consoles are designed for the living room right?

Most living rooms have 40" + 4k screens.

Here in the UK you can get a 42" 4k TV for under £200 and that's without much research, so the fact that the consoles cant really hit native 4k without extreme upscaling and limiting to 30fps is pretty crap if you ask me.

The reason why I mention the upscaling is on those larger screens it becomes very obvious.

I think most people would be happier with pin sharp visuals at 60fps if the art style and effects were built around that.

Guilty_AI

Ok, i thought this was just a lightining issue, but there's clearly a lot more wrong here.

In the original notice how Cloud moves his eyes, how be blinks, there are even very subtle lip movements. In this demo his face is completly static, like a clay doll.

There IS one explanation for it though (a very light spoilery one), and that is they're using a different character model for this Cloud because this is a flashback from the past, thus he should look younger. Then they cut corners with this specific model since it wouldn't be used a lot.

Whitecrow

Banned
Ok, i thought this was just a lightining issue, but there's clearly a lot more wrong here.

In the original notice how Cloud moves his eyes, how be blinks, there are even very subtle lip movements. In this demo his face is completly static, like a clay doll.

There IS one explanation for it though (a very light spoilery one), and that is they're using a different character model for this Cloud because this is a flashback from the past, thus he should look younger. Then they cut corners with this specific model since it wouldn't be used a lot.

My bet is that they had to cut polys from somewhere in order to achieve the scale and detail of the world. If not, it doesnt make any sense.

And if it was the case, I would never cut from the main characters to make the world a little bit better.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

My bet is that they had to cut polys from somewhere in order to achieve the scale and detail of the world. If not, it doesnt make any sense.

And if it was the case, I would never cut from the main characters to make the world a little bit better.
I don't think thats the issue, these machines can handle a little more polygons just fine. As i said, this is likely them cutting corners for the model in this specific segment dues to the reasons i mentioned. To be 100% certain we'd need to see Cloud's model from the rest of the game however.

SABRE220

I wonder what excuses the studio defense force are going to come up with for this..

Guilty_AI

I wonder what excuses the studio defense force are going to come up with for this..
I did give a reasonable explanation for this... but yeah. When releasing a demo you'd want it to look as good as possible, so they should've put more effort into this segment even if this model wouldn't be used throughout the rest of the game.

Whitecrow

Banned
I don't think thats the issue, these machines can handle a little more polygons just fine. As i said, this is likely them cutting corners for the model in this specific segment dues to the reasons i mentioned. To be 100% certain we'd need to see Cloud's model from the rest of the game however.
Yep, it's hard to know what really happened without taking a look at the models themselves. But it's too weird for it to be a mistake, it has to be intentional somehow...

Lethal01

I think thats obviously the right choice, When playing the game you are looking at the world, not constantly doing close ups on the charactesr faces, thne world should be the priority.

that said, I want both to look better in this game.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Right now the leading one is that this demo might be a year old build and not representative of the final game, even though the last couple of big demos they put out were basically chunks from the final game with no difference upon release (FF16, Forspoken etc).

Synless

Right now the leading one is that this demo might be a year old build and not representative of the final game, even though the last couple of big demos they put out were basically chunks from the final game with no difference upon release (FF16, Forspoken etc).
I actually doubt clouds model will continue to look like ass in the main game, at least his current day model. I think the teen flashback version is what it is though.

Textures I think will be mostly fixed with oddball low textures shit littered here and there. If not, oh well the game will still be great.

Fbh

Personally I have a simple rule.
If your game has amazing graphics, or physics, or an impressively interactive world I can accept 30fps
If your game runs at 60fps with good IQ on console I can accept dated visuals.
Based on the demo rebirth is doing neither. So I really hope they can sort out the post processing and remove the vaseline smeared look of the performance mode

I hope so.
Though I still think it's fair to be critical of the demo.
Square is even saying you can skip this sequence in the full game if you complete the demo, so they must be at least somewhat confident that it's representative of the final game.

Mikey Jr.

Yeah I wasn't super impressed with the graphics. Felt like I was still playing on my PS4. And this was fidelity mode.

My only hope is that graphics were sacrificed for density and scope. And that the first area was just super drab.

Day 1 regardless.

Why even release a demo at all if that's the case. Isn't the whole point of a demo this close to the release date an attempt to show off your game to gain more hype? Why release a substandard demo which only can hurt you.

I could maybe be sold that Nibelheim was completed a long time ago, perhaps originally intended to be in Part 1 or in a DLC that was not released. But I see no reason to think that it isn't representative of what the fidelity of the game will look like.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I am tempted to try the demo... even if just for a bit.
Is it straight beginning of the game like ff16 demo?
Because that ff16 was so fucking amzing, it legit ruined the full game for me a bit.... or at least reduced it's impact since I plyed the demo good 5 times month before ff16 and then continued with demo save.

leizzra

Sure, Clouds mimic is bad and it makes him look like a puppet. Still the lighting is a big issue here and this video show this nicely.

Both scenes are lit primarily by Sky Light (tough Rebirth scene has directional light that mimics the sun, but Cloud is in shadow area so he is lit only by sky light). The difference is in the Sky Light map - Remake has more even HDRI so Cloud is even more flat (but thanks to that hairs look better). Also he contrasts more with the background but maybe in this spot there was different lighting setup (it’s after Scorpion close to the reactor?). Rebirth has map with few colors, dark at bottom, orange from side and bluish from the rest (so dark ground, bluish sky and orange sun). Because of that face looks a bit dirty in areas that are facing down (chicks). Also the hairs are looking weird, some of them are darken in strange way and it’s also because of that.

Still Remake has some additional shadows (AO or SSAO) that make him look better). Rebirth is lacking in this regards.

I don’t want to be the devil’s advocate but it’s something that is in many games. When I see some people posting bad screens from great looking games it usually comes to this. This is how lightning can sometimes look. Maybe they didn’t had time to make it better because game seems to be big and diverse. And you have probably few lighting conditions in this scene as well (and it’s one location from many).

In Spider Man 2 you have some cutscenes that look rather weak (lights leaking on characters, basic shadows, etc.) and other that are CGI quality - thanks to the proper lighting shaders look even better (like hairs). The same was with Jedi Survival. The Last of Us Part II has a lot of scenes with natural light sources and there are the same problems. Lighting levels is not the same as lighting cut-scenes.

Yea I don't expect there to be anything different between the demo and the release. I didn't have an issue with the demo though I think the game look great. I'm at that stage though where pretty much every game looks great to me now.

Lethal01

The textures looked like crap in the first game, on PS5. Why is anybody surprised this looks like crap too.
Because the first game covered them with fantastic lighting that made the scene look great, but this demo takes place in broad daylight and only displays the games weaknesses.

Last edited:
I am tempted to try the demo... even if just for a bit.
Is it straight beginning of the game like ff16 demo?
Because that ff16 was so fucking amzing, it legit ruined the full game for me a bit.... or at least reduced it's impact since I plyed the demo good 5 times month before ff16 and then continued with demo save.
Yes, it's literally the beginning of the game. You won't have the same problem you had with XVI though because it's nowhere near that good.

Juras

XIII and XIII-2 from PS3

Lethal01

XIII and XIII-2 from PS3

Yeah its just a bad lighting spot and using an incorrect LoD, any game model will look like trash when you are at spots in the game with weird lighting, but I wouldnt call it the games big technical flaw.
image.png
image.png

The game is graphically lacking, but this is one area that I could actually see improving in final build since its closer to a glitch.

Again the real issue is that just about every asset in the environment ranges from passable to bad and I don't forsee the entirety of the game world getting any large improvement.

Yes, it's literally the beginning of the game. You won't have the same problem you had with XVI though because it's nowhere near that good.

16 demo started okay enough, it had a big cinematic set piece and some basic combat that you expect to grow.
Then you play the game and it showr that it really is nothing but really Hollow combat with some high budget cutscenes and QTEs.
Remake is far better since it actually has a good combat system.

Zuzu

In the latest DF podcast John said the 30fps mode is only using per object motion blur. I’d really like a slider added for camera motion blur as well just like the 5-tier setting in FF16. It would help smoothen the camera panning judder a lot imo, especially on OLED; FF16’s camera motion blur was as good as I’ve seen for a 30fps game.

Something really needs to be done though. 30fps mode is too juddery. 60fps mode is too blurry. Either they need to add camera based motion blur to 30fps mode (but needs to be an optional setting so people can turn it off) or improve the post-processing in the 60fps mode to improve image clarity or add a 40fps mode with higher clarity than the 60fps mode and less judder than the 30fps mode.

Ah come one Square, you’re killing me here.

Last edited:
In the latest DF podcast John said the 30fps mode is only using per object motion blur. I’d really like a slider added for camera motion blur as well just like the 5-tier setting in FF16. It would help smoothen the camera panning judder a lot imo, especially on OLED; FF16’s camera motion blur was as good as I’ve seen for a 30fps game.

Something really needs to be done though. 30fps mode is too juddery. 60fps mode is too blurry. Either they need to add camera based motion blur to 30fps mode (but needs to be an optional setting so people can turn it off) or improve the post-processing in the 60fps mode to improve image clarity or add a 40fps mode with higher clarity than the 60fps mode and less judder than the 30fps mode.

I fucking HATE this with modern gaming. There's no frickin quality standards even from one game to the next ..even games in the same God damn series!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Just like remake. The game really needed motion blur

Fabieter

I fucking HATE this with modern gaming. There's no frickin quality standards even from one game to the next ..even games in the same God damn series!

Oh boy. I really hated "it was everything better in the past mentallity ". What was better in the old days? The only thing for me is that jrpgs were mainstream 20 years ago I miss the days.

Yeah its just a bad lighting spot and using an incorrect LoD, any game model will look like trash when you are at spots in the game with weird lighting, but I wouldnt call it the games big technical flaw.
image.png
image.png

The game is graphically lacking, but this is one area that I could actually see improving in final build since its closer to a glitch.

Again the real issue is that just about every asset in the environment ranges from passable to bad and I don't forsee the entirety of the game world getting any large improvement.

16 demo started okay enough, it had a big cinematic set piece and some basic combat that you expect to grow.
Then you play the game and it showr that it really is nothing but really Hollow combat with some high budget cutscenes and QTEs.
Remake is far better since it actually has a good combat system.

Spot on about FF16! Game never grew beyond the damn demo mechanically

Top Bottom