• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Players are complaining about visual problems in the Final Fantasy VII Rebirth demo

Whitecrow

Banned
They cut the polygon budget by 10...
J1vKHRS.jpg
Cloud looks like life have been sucked from him, and that materia on the ground... definitely nothing wrong happening.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Graphics is all GAF talks about regardless about if thread is about graphics or not, you have thread about gameplay but 90% of the post is whining about graphics.

Is that why when Resident Evil 4 Remake demo came out GAF called the game worse remake ever made even worse than RE3R because of graphics?

We been thorough this shit over and over again with every fucking game that comes out and I bet you anything when Monster Hunter Wild demo comes out people still going to whine about the graphics
I don't know what you're trying to achieve in your comment. I'm not a sole focal point for appeasing your issues with GAF as a whole. But perhaps be mindful that you're whining a lot yourself, about others whining. Which to me is a poor way of trivialising others opinions. If you're trying to win me over in why I shouldn't critique the game technically. Sorry, my view is my view. Look on the brightside and count yourself lucky, you're happy with the demo, so have a game catered for your expectations to look forward to. Enjoy.

You might as well list Kojima too if you're going to pick all of the rare examples instead of the average examples lol.

GT7 also has the entire budget and manpower of PS Studios behind it by the way.
This is being marketed as a top tier exclusive and coming with a top tier price. If you're telling me to lower my expectations just because SE, then don't worry they're already lowered after FFXVI.

The blurriness likely stems from how they implemented TAA. That method of anti-aliasing is known to cause blurry textures. This can be mitigated by adding TAA sharpening commands, or just changing to MSAA, in Unreal Engine 4's Engine.ini config file. Only possible on a PC port though, of course.

The demo argument is silly when it releases so close to the game's launch. Interestingly enough, the main issues people complained about in the FF16 demo (performance mode) were identical in the final release.

I just don't see what's wrong with pointing out problems and making the developers aware. Worst case scenario, nothing happens and the game releases as is. Complaining has helped fix many games that released with problems, it boggles the mind tha some users are actively against it.

If these "idiots" weren't complaining, you'd still get a crap experience with barely any patches 6 months later.

No wait, if those "idiots" didn't buy games day one, there wouldn't be games for you to play at all after a while.

True I thank all early adopters for their sacrifice.

Minsc

Gold Member
Have almost finished the demo, perfect framerate, not great resolution, but still I prefer the framerate being good out of the two options, had it been FFXVI this time I'd simply skip it and wait.

Didn't notice any texture issues like posted in this thread.

Synless

Well, the really good news is I only ever play in 30fps mode unless 60fps mode is the same. Full effects and higher resolution > 60fps.

They just need to clean up the shit textures and we are good to go.

Last edited:

leizzra

The issue with that when I got the flat face issue is was when I was fighting the mantis boss thing near the end of the demo... and it was in a cave. So I don't think it's lighting for this specific type of sky, I think it's just going to be an issue in general for the game.

I would love to be wrong but I did laugh when I pulled off the ultimate bro attack and it zoomed in on clouds flat looking face... I remember they showed that in the trailers, but I don't remember it looking weird there.

Well, cave lighting is made the same way. I didn’t played the demo (I’m waiting for full game) so I don’t know the exactly how it looks but sky light is the base of lighting environments - it works through all the area evenly. You can see this at the faces - parts that are facing down (upper lips, beneath eyes, under jaw, etc.) are darkened and the rest is brighter. It’s not real shadows, that’s the trick of sky light.

In cave you’ll have different HDRI map to reflect better the environment you are in. In the end if you want better lighting in cave you need to have some artificial lights, glowing organic objects (mushrooms like in Gears I think) or maybe some holes in the selling from which you’ll have a daylight. Still sky light is a base light that works by default in Unreal. In theory it should be used as a filler but it’s cheaper and easier to use in gameplay conditions and with this type of lighting.

Besides lighting I see that eyes are looking flat as if they aren’t using proper materials. Maybe it’s the lighting, but it looks like pupil is flat texture without depth effect (parallax or different method like used by Epic). Hairs also have problems with lighting but they always are hard to make right - you need better lighting or additional rendering layer.

Kumomeme

Still UE4??

Damn
to be specifically, more like custom modified version of UE4.

itseems they prioritize to maintain the smoothness of development foremost.

something they already done since the first game FF7 Remake

Last edited:
Im going to download the demo just to see if it’s as bad as everyone is making it out to be. IME most complaints like this tend to be overblown but we will see.

sendit

This looks like a possible texture streaming issue. They either fix this by release on the PS5, or I wait for the superior PC version in a few months.

StereoVsn

Fuck whoever decided for this game not to release on PC day 1.
Sony cash unfortunately.

I am still getting the copy with the art book from VGP gaming (dumb I know), but I think I will wait to play till PC version releases unless PS5 60fps version is patched.

I can’t deal with 30FPS on OLED unless it’s pure turn based. Too much blur.

Last edited:

simpatico

Playing the actual game and looking on screenshota on an early build isnt the same tho.
Agreed. I don't think Square has ever been known for their technical optimization. Just seeing people blame the console hardware, and I don't think it's completely at fault. I believe other studios could reach this level of fidelity and scale without sacrificing so much.

Fabieter

Agreed. I don't think Square has ever been known for their technical optimization. Just seeing people blame the console hardware, and I don't think it's completely at fault. I believe other studios could reach this level of fidelity and scale without sacrificing so much.

No I think the actual game will look better and some of the haters are people who defense actually bad looking games.

Mortisfacio

Square deserves this. Charging $70 a pop for a broken up and drawn out version of an almost 30 year old game remake. Devs are creatively bankrupt and apparently poor optimizers as well.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Literally no one is saying it's the consoles fault. People are citing last gen game examples to highlight Square's incompetence, or the lack of grasp on UE4 after using it for so many years, for this demo release.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
RE4 on PS2 called, it wants its farmhouse textures for the Bitores Mendez boss fight area back.

bJD9gxh.png
I didn't want to play the demo before full version so I don't know how it looks.
But I bet 1000% that the shots on here are probably cherry picked... right ?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I didn't want to play the demo before full version so I don't know how it looks.

This is a snapshot from NXGamer's video, he lingers on the scene for a good 5, 7seconds.

So if there was a higher resolution texture, it never loads. It stays like that.

Make of that what you will.

Last edited:

Hudo

Don't worry. Everything will be solved with the PS5 Pro. No one cares about vanilla PS5 owners.

Reallink

No. You will encounter several dozen instances of absolutely awful assets and lighting if you actually explore the demo. Any impressions to the contrary are from people B-lining through the demo on their 50" 1080p TV from 12 feet away.

Last edited:

Bojji

No I think the actual game will look better and some of the haters are people who defense actually bad looking games.

I HOPE it will look better and if not that SE will at least acknowledge issues and fix them. That's why most people are complaining.

I plan to buy this game day 1 and I will have to live with all those potential issues.

Not really, game is full of this. I couldn't believe it when I launched the demo, every other texture and model are bad.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Its the start of the full game though, and your progression stays. Like FFXVI. I don't remember if that game was updated from its demo.

Xvi didn't have a problem with loading assets, but we had several games this gens where loading assets was buggy like dirt 5 for example on xbox series. That game looked like a last gen version compared to ps5 and PC.

FWIW I futzed with my video settings, forcing 1080p and the blurriness in Performance Mode didn't seem so bad then. Course I did switch spots where I loaded from, so that may be it... but I suppose it's worth a shot if you are a real 60 fps diehard.

Just take it easy, it’s just FOMO kicking in tricking you to think you need to be there day 1. They’ll patch it for a couple months anyway. Playing day 1 hasn’t been great for quite some time. I’m going with the PC version.

The PS4 version of FF7R didn't get a patch - I'm not talking about a Day 1 patch, anything - for multiple months. I do think that there will be one for Part 2 though.

Oh, I thought it was coming in may?

Must have got confused
I believe the exclusivity contract is for 39nths but square doesn't launch their games when exclusivity ends generally. Under the old CEO they would be lazy and conjure up a half assed PC port much later despite "taking their time". The new CEO seems intent on changing everything so who knows if that will continue.

John is saying 1440p, but NXGamer's tweet is saying 1080p (well, he says '1080p is not the problem', likely in reference to the low resolution not being the only problem)

Post process is done in half/quarter resolutions as a resource saving measure, you can't tell me Square couldn't push more out of the hardware using UE4 than this ... if that's the case, maybe they should have stuck to Luminous.
This is made by the part of the kingdom hearts and FF7R teams which both worked on UE4. Luminous was the FF15, Forespoken and FF14 (forked version of luminous) teams.

Top Bottom