• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Players are complaining about visual problems in the Final Fantasy VII Rebirth demo

Well then this thread is useless. Stop complaining about shit graphics and performance when you force undermanned and untalented devs to cater to your ridiculous needs. If you want 60fps buy a PC.

You framerate warriors are holding this gen back more than anything else.
You can’t have both.

You can’t make this game your beacon of an argument for 30fps, when Ubisoft has made open world games with 60fps modes that look better than this game, up close.

You’re right in saying this thread is useless. Choose another game guys.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Well, thats the issue, we have played the game.
And yet all you guys talk about is the graphics meanwhile I was actually impressed with how much improvement they made to the combat, particularly the arial combat and SUPER GLAD they brought back precision block from Intermission DLC.

This was same case when Elden Ring beta came out, entire conversation sounding it was all about graphics and how "it looks like PS3 game".

You guys need accept the fact majority of Japanese devs (maybe other than Kojima) are not obsess with tech like western devs are.

We are going through the same crap when Monster Hunter Wild gets demo.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

And yet all you guys talk about is the graphics meanwhile I was actually impressed with how much improvement they made to the combat, particularly the arial combat and SUPER GLAD they brought back precision block from Intermission DLC.

This was same case when Elden Ring beta came out, entire conversation sounding it was all about graphics and how "it looks like PS3 game".

You guys need accept the fact majority of Japanese devs (maybe other than Kojima) are not obsess with tech like western devs are.

We are going through the same crap when Monster Hunter Wild gets demo.
"you guys" yeah we're a band of outrageous rapscallions who dare to have an opinion on its visuals/technical aspects. In fairness this is a thread about the graphics though, so.... Whilst I get a little of your point around the heritage. Isnt GT7 made by Japanese devs? Resident Evil and all the Capcom stuff? It seems some are pretty damn technically focused and capable to me.

I never quite know what to make of some of these complaints, especially based on a demo. I remember seeing a similar narrative on GAF when the FF16 demo dropped, and yet the final game seemed fine to me. Maybe I need to update my ocular firmware. 🤷‍♂️

Whitecrow

Banned
Oh look non zoomed bs pics and it looks great. Who would have thought?
Dude you dont need to zoom to see the popin, the awful textures, or the awful illumination on the characters.

Those pics are as cherry picked as all the others, and literally, there's nothing great on any pic besides the montain pics.

There are a lot of awful shots. Stop with the fanboy denial.

Danjin44

"you guys" yeah we're a band of outrageous rapscallions who dare to have an opinion on its visuals/technical aspects. In fairness this is a thread about the graphics though, so.... Whilst I get a little of your point around the heritage. Isnt GT7 made
Graphics is all GAF talks about regardless about if thread is about graphics or not, you have thread about gameplay but 90% of the post is whining about graphics.
Resident Evil and all the Capcom stuff? It seems some are pretty damn technically focused and capable to me.
Is that why when Resident Evil 4 Remake demo came out GAF called the game worse remake ever made even worse than RE3R because of graphics?

We been thorough this shit over and over again with every fucking game that comes out and I bet you anything when Monster Hunter Wild demo comes out people still going to whine about the graphics

Last edited:
Might sound pretty to some but this makes me want to say "fuck off Square" and not buy the game at launch. There's no excuse for next gen only games coming out in 2024 to not look next gen, esp for $70. This has been the story all generation long though with many games failing well below expectations. These companies are having a laugh at us continuing to buy their games at record sales.

Graphics mode is fine

30fps actually is smooth like 60fps in this game. very smooth, just like FF16
tenor.gif

It really isn't. But I agree that graphics mode is fine for the time being... until the PC version shows what the game is truly capable of. Been replaying Remake on PC and it looks and plays gloriously without any console shackles.

CamHostage

Might sound pretty to some but this makes me want to say "fuck off Square" and not buy the game at launch. There's no excuse for next gen only games coming out in 2024 to not look next gen, esp for $70. This has been the story all generation long though with many games failing well below expectations. These companies are having a laugh at us continuing to buy their games at record sales.

Why are you assuming they're having a laugh?

They're having a fucking panic, because the underlying technology for their flagship title (in a year where they're cutting back SKUs) is getting negative notices despite modern technology and millions in asset production.

Next gen only games coming out in 2024 do look like this. You've seen them, and I don't know what these games are that you would say perfectly prove otherwise. We've seen UE5 games, we've seen PS5-only games, they have problems like any other games. Square is not skimping on anything here. Myriad technical hurdles (some of which they may be able to fix by hand-made and assisted analysis adjustment work) make it really hard to maintain perfection (or whatever your idea of not falling well below expectations would be) at this scale. There's no secret sauce in the new consoles that makes all of this easy or that is getting left out because it costs something to utilize.

And you can say, "Tough shit, it costs $70 so fix it..." Sure, I agree that I expect a lot for that much money. However, reality isn't just something you anger away; "fix it" means either making it look less good or making it for longer and it doesn't come out any time soon.

Last edited:
"you guys" yeah we're a band of outrageous rapscallions who dare to have an opinion on its visuals/technical aspects. In fairness this is a thread about the graphics though, so.... Whilst I get a little of your point around the heritage. Isnt GT7 made by Japanese devs? Resident Evil and all the Capcom stuff? It seems some are pretty damn technically focused and capable to me.
You might as well list Kojima too if you're going to pick all of the rare examples instead of the average examples lol.

GT7 also has the entire budget and manpower of PS Studios behind it by the way.

Danjin44

Armored Core and Elden Ring though have artistic cohesiveness and quality consistency, the demo of this game not.
You say this but go check out the thread when they show off the gameplay for both games for first time, I remember people called Armored Core VI high res PS2 game.

You know what, I really don't give a shit about these visual errors.

The fact that the game actually fucking runs at 60fps and not 20fps like in FFXVI's performance mode is all that matters.
Actually found the demo quite refreshing after the disaster that was ffxvi

ShadowLag

I played the demo on Performance mode, didn't notice anything bad and I can't wait for the full release 🤷‍♂️. This stuff is nitpicky beyond belief.

You can’t have both.

You can’t make this game your beacon of an argument for 30fps, when Ubisoft has made open world games with 60fps modes that look better than this game, up close.

You’re right in saying this thread is useless. Choose another game guys.
Yeah, the guy’s argument falls apart against clear cut evidence of other games simply blowing this out of the water and running 6 60fps (horizon zero dawn for instance, which although was a nightmare at release, was cleaned up and looked stunning). The only thing holding back performance is talent, management, and rushing, the ps5 is not the problem

Gamerguy84

Maybe my gaming TV just sucks because it's a $400 V series from Vizio. I think the V stands for value.

I'll take performance mode every day. I have switched back and forth between the two modes several times.

When I'm playing I don't notice every pixel but I do notice the stutter of 30.

I just played FF7 Rebirth demo with Adaptivesync on. Zero problems in Graphics Mode. The monitor still reported 4k 60 fps.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

if we want to comparing demo,

FF16 visual is higher in quality. also staggering differences in term of foliage.

especially at how overall polished it was compared to 7 Rebirth demo. not suprise if it end up same for the main game.

hopefully they fix it at launch. the demo run on older build perhaps? but so far FF7 Rebirth still feels like a PS4 game. unlike 16 where at times feels at next gen.

overall uneven quality is still persist which is something should not happened for a production of this scale. it is important for demo to be good as it will be indicator of the full game particularly if they want to attract player to buy it later.

Last edited:

Skifi28

I never quite know what to make of some of these complaints, especially based on a demo. I remember seeing a similar narrative on GAF when the FF16 demo dropped, and yet the final game seemed fine to me. Maybe I need to update my ocular firmware. 🤷‍♂️
The demo argument is silly when it releases so close to the game's launch. Interestingly enough, the main issues people complained about in the FF16 demo (performance mode) were identical in the final release.

I just don't see what's wrong with pointing out problems and making the developers aware. Worst case scenario, nothing happens and the game releases as is. Complaining has helped fix many games that released with problems, it boggles the mind tha some users are actively against it.

All the complaining is usually by people who play games on day one instead of waiting 6 months for all the patches to be out. Idiots the lot of them.
If these "idiots" weren't complaining, you'd still get a crap experience with barely any patches 6 months later.

No wait, if those "idiots" didn't buy games day one, there wouldn't be games for you to play at all after a while.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The only way these publishers and devs will get the message is if we vote with out wallets. So no, I won't accept a 60fps option if they aew marketing the game with it.

If they fix it for launch, I'm still day one. If not I'll wait until they do fix it or it comes to pc.

Or at least add a robust 40fps mode.

Lethal01

The only way these publishers and devs will get the message is if we vote with out wallets. So no, I won't accept a 60fps option if they aew marketing the game with it.

If they fix it for launch, I'm still day one. If not I'll wait until they do fix it or it comes to pc.

I am actually gonna by 5 extra copies just due to this comment, I do love voting with my wallet

Go_Ly_Dow

Just play in graphics mode:
7Y29ZVU.jpg
SBVdWyr.jpg
WI9dedh.jpg
XigPzR2.jpg
JRxYNOC.jpg
k6bIHcv.jpg
2CCzz6g.jpg
rotRx76.jpg
dNK5w6Z.jpg
t6EcwmO.jpg
R2NhWdH.jpg
OeGHa2p.jpg
2sjAKD3.jpg
Looks nice, looking forward to seeing the rest of the game world.

I guess you can rule out Dragons Dogma 2 as well then considering it has no 60fps option at all and the 30fps mode looks very choppy. At least with this you're getting a smooth 60fps mode...

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Looks nice, looking forward to seeing the rest of the game world.

I guess you can rule out Dragons Dogma 2 as well then considering it has no 60fps option at all and the 30fps mode looks very choppy. At least with this you're getting a smooth 60fps mode...

Dragons dogma 2 is on pc day one isn't it?

Mahnmut

People are happily pay 30 to 60 bucks for early access titles that might never be even feature complete and excuse those devs with the game is not done. And some of the very same people are happily go after specific devs before the game is even out. Yes the sqaure enix hate is quite heavily a thing.
But the game is complete and not advertised as early access. Also in this case it’s not about features but performance/graphics.

Freeman76

This is why I cant stand Square as a company. All their bullshit exclusivity deals only mean you cant play on your platform of choice, which is a shame as for the most part they make decent games. Their earning last year were not great, you would think they might learn from their mistakes and stop sucking Sonys balls for once. If this was day one on PC and Xbox as well at least we have a choice. I wasnt impressed with the demo graphically, the vaseline effect really annoys me and so now the only choice I have is to play a substandard version of the game or wait god knows how long until they get Sonys bollocks out their mouth and put it on PC. After playing the demo I went back to TLOU2 remastered and was thinking its a shame FF7 doesnt have this visual fidelity. Probably because FF7 has a larger world etc I dunno, but the difference was jarring and I know FF7 would look like that on my PC. Yes, I'm a graphics whore lol

Fabieter

But the game is complete and not advertised as early access. Also in this case it’s not about features but performance/graphics.

That's exactly what I meant. People are happily excuse the early access shit while nitpick full releases. Thanks for confirming.

cormack12

Gold Member
You can hold a few opinions at once...

The demo looks distractingly awful in certain places in performance mode (only one I can played)
The demo looks visually strong in other certain environmental places in performance mode
Would this stop me buying and enjoying it if I had more time? No, but it's noticeable enough when compared to most other games in this bracket and budget to make it a discussion point.

This is why I cant stand Square as a company. All their bullshit exclusivity deals only mean you cant play on your platform of choice, which is a shame as for the most part they make decent games. Their earning last year were not great, you would think they might learn from their mistakes and stop sucking Sonys balls for once. If this was day one on PC and Xbox as well at least we have a choice. I wasnt impressed with the demo graphically, the vaseline effect really annoys me and so now the only choice I have is to play a substandard version of the game or wait god knows how long until they get Sonys bollocks out their mouth and put it on PC. After playing the demo I went back to TLOU2 remastered and was thinking its a shame FF7 doesnt have this visual fidelity. Probably because FF7 has a larger world etc I dunno, but the difference was jarring and I know FF7 would look like that on my PC. Yes, I'm a graphics whore lol

Putting it on PC isn’t going to fundamentally change how it looks visually

TrebleShot

At this stage of the PS5 lifecycle this is quite dissatisfying and shite.

I noticed it looked like crap on the perf mode but played anyway and had fun but it kind of reminds me of the concessions you make when playing on switch, your not going to get high frames and image quality but you get ease of access, nice exclusives and ecosystem.

Will probs still get it but if it was day one PC I’d get it there.

Skifi28

Higher quality Asset and Lighting is all it needs, both are doable without fundamental change..
Biggest problems seem to be art related with character models-lighting just being off. Cloud's face looks like a different person regardless of mode on console, I doubt PC would be any different, that's not something you can just brute-force with more power. I just hope it's a demo thing that is fixed in the release, but the chances are not looking good.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Well, one of the problems with some of the shots (with characters faces) is lighting. The thing is - it looks the same in most of the games ( like The Last of Us Part II, Uncharted 4, God of War) where you have a weather with clouds and no sun. It means that the scene lighting doesn’t have a directional light source only Sky light (HDRI if you like). Because of that you don’t have a proper shadows, mostly ambient occlusion.

Overcast sky is hard to make it right because usually it’s flat. Everything is lighted the same way because it’s this ambient lighting. Even with Ray Tracing it’s not much better. What they could do is to make AO maps stronger, so that the holes in the nose would be darkened more, but it would also work for the rest of AO maps so they would need to make some additional lighting layer in renderer.

Anyway this is how lightning in gameplay works. In the cutscenes they could use proper lights to simulate this weather but with ability to fine tune it. But cutscenes are easier to control then the gameplay and have bigger overhead for extra effects.

As I said you can find the same problems in most of the games with this type of weather.

The issue with that when I got the flat face issue is was when I was fighting the mantis boss thing near the end of the demo... and it was in a cave. So I don't think it's lighting for this specific type of sky, I think it's just going to be an issue in general for the game.

I would love to be wrong but I did laugh when I pulled off the ultimate bro attack and it zoomed in on clouds flat looking face... I remember they showed that in the trailers, but I don't remember it looking weird there.

Lethal01

Biggest problems seem to be art related with character models-lighting just being off. Cloud's face looks like a different person regardless of mode on console, I doubt PC would be any different, that's not something you can just brute-force with more power. I just hope it's a demo thing that is fixed in the release, but the chances are not looking good.

I mean he is meant to look like a different in this event, what do you think of how he looks in the inn and other trailers?

Skifi28

I mean he is meant to look like a different in this event, what do you think of how he looks in the inn and other trailers?
Looks absolutely fine in cutscenes. He's not looking just different, he's looking like meme cloud. The screenshots posted in the OP might be zoomed in, but I noticed the problem instantly at regular camera distance, which is pretty far. He just look like somebody forgot to finish modeling his face.

Edit: I'm also coming from just replaying remake on a ps4, Cloud looks absolutely fine from regular camera distance even on that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom