• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 reportedly won’t have its own Xbox Smart Delivery alternative

Kagey K

Banned
So when people put Cyberpunk into a PS4, it might accidentally download the PS5 update on a PS4 because Sony doesn't have "Smart Delivery?"

I'm being facetious here, obviously. I just cannot understand why anyone is excited that the next-gen consoles will know they are next-gen consoles and figure out they need to download the update file when you put in a last-gen game that has an enhancement update.
I guess it’s because one is confirmed to have it and the other. Might just downlOd the PS4 vesrsion again unless you pay to upgrade.

Until they confirm it’s happening you have to assume either the best or the worst.

Grinchy

Banned
I guess it’s because one is confirmed to have it and the other. Might just downlOd the PS4 vesrsion again unless you pay to upgrade.

Until they confirm it’s happening you have to assume either the best or the worst.
The developers of Cyberpunk already confirmed the PS5 update. It was posted in this thread earlier. So does Sony have "Smart Delivery" too? Or will the PS4 accidentally download the PS5 update? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I'm not even being all that serious here, I just can't believe people are latching onto this label for a next-gen console knowing it's a next-gen console and downloading the next-gen update for last-gen games and thinking it's some amazing piece of software magic.

Because now they want to sell you a version of thier system that won’t even accept the disc you pass to your friend.

Watch that same vid and imagine you owned the all digital PS5. It doesn’t work anymore.

They are now doing the exact same things they railed XB1 for doing.

This is how you avoid that problem: buy the version that has a disc drive in it. What's up with people acting like drama queens over simple shit.

Last edited:

geordiemp

So when people put Cyberpunk into a PS4, it might accidentally download the PS5 update on a PS4 because Sony doesn't have "Smart Delivery?"

I'm being facetious here, obviously. I just cannot understand why anyone is excited that the next-gen consoles will know they are next-gen consoles and figure out they need to download the update file when you put in a last-gen game that has an enhancement update.

No did you not get the timdog memo ?

Ps5 will download the ps1 files becasue only MS is smart :messenger_beaming:

Basically when it imitates the download, it gets the version of the game that is right for you.

Lets say I own a Series X and and XB1 and an XBox one X.

I buy 1 disc, I got into my main gaming room and put the disc in.

It pulls all the series X files and gives me the best game available.
Then I eject it and go upstairs, I put the same disc into my XB1 and it pulls all the files so I can run it on my Xbox one.

Then I wake up in the morning and go out to the living room. I pop the same disc in and it downloads all the Xbox 1 one X files.

Its one version covers all versions.

Ok I understand.

But, I'm being honest here - if this scaled versions on one disc means my PS5 exclusive is held back because it was made simultaneously for the old PS4, I DONT WANT THIS FEATURE.

On the other hand, buying a PS4 exclusive and getting a PS5 version for free is nice. But this only really works if you make the old gen and new gen exclusive in conjunction with each other. Which brings us back to the first problem. I'd rather devs were totally unshackled from Jaguar CPUs and 5400rpm HDDs completely. Give us a clean break.

The best solution would be for certain late gen PS4 exclusives, like TLOU2, Sony could offer a free upgrade for PS5 owners. But this is not something I really expect.

Also, I though MSonly planned to support XB1/XB1X for one or two years after Series X release? Will this mean XB1 is no longer part of Smart Delivery in 2022?

Why isn't Sony talking about cross buy ? if people are not aware of it companies could get away with it and we probably won't be receiving any free upgrades.

IDK about microsoft or XSX but they actually did something good this time which is making people aware of it and putting companies in a bad spot for not listening to their customers if they didnt decide to give free upgrade for next gen.

People here just hate microsoft on what ever they're doing even if its acutally good for consumers

BTW Im a big sony fanboy and I dont plan on buying xsx
It’s the other way round. Xbox fans are constantly throwing around their Marketing buzzwords To say ‘look what we got’ and they get Continually called out for it, as they’re just falling for Phil’s usual PR. When In reality they’re giving you A free fucking upgrade to their first party games Jesus.

They’re also encouraging 3rd parties to do the same but not Forcing it. Since all ps5 games will be exclusive Sony don’t even need to do it.

tl;dr people are tired of Microsoft’s constant PR misdirection it’s been like this since they stopped reporting sale numbers because all of a sudden they don’t matter.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Smart Delivery wasn’t just about having a free next gen upgrade. Yes it was part of it.

The whole point of Smart Delivery being a thing was that you would ONLY download the assets required for your console of choice. So for next gen systems, they have would a different install compared to current gen. Likely next gen installs would be either smaller (based on no longer needing seek files) or larger (based on larger assets not usable on current gen). Like it or not, the new consoles require less repeated data due to no longer having HDD seek times, which results in a smaller install size. if the series x version included 8k textures and the Xbox one x included 4k, yes you could in theory just downsample on load, but it would be horrendous for disk space and also take an age to load. Likewise with PS5 and PS4. The idea was that the user, you, would put the disk in and not even be given the choice, it would be seem less. Right now, it would still be seem less, but there would be a single install for both versions, which is a waste of space.

So while yes, it’s GOOD news that PS5 will get next gen cyberpunk for free, it still doesn’t mean they will get it in the same way, which let’s hope they do.

Last edited:

KingT731

Smart Delivery wasn’t just about having a free next gen upgrade. Yes it was part of it.

The whole point of Smart Delivery being a thing was that you would ONLY download the assets required for your console of choice. So for next gen systems, they have would a different install compared to current gen. Likely next gen installs would be either smaller (based on no longer needing seek files) or larger (based on larger assets not usable on current gen). Like it or not, the new consoles require less repeated data due to no longer having HDD seek times, which results in a smaller install size. if the series x version included 8k textures and the Xbox one x included 4k, yes you could in theory just downsample on load, but it would be horrendous for disk space and also take an age to load. Likewise with PS5 and PS4. The idea was that the user, you, would put the disk in and not even be given the choice, it would be seem less. Right now, it would still be seem less, but there would be a single install for both versions, which is a waste of space.

So while yes, it’s GOOD news that PS5 will get next gen cyberpunk for free, it still doesn’t mean they will get it in the same way, which let’s hope they do.
We'll see when those first XSX/PS5 games release. I honestly feel like the whole "fancy name" shit has people going wild. Going by what CDPR said during their meeting the 2 options are basically the same. The game requires an update that is likely substantial and obviously not on the disc.

Rockstar is about to stuff that smart delivery up Microsoft’s ass. When Sony did that Cross-Buy for PS3>PS4. Some companies just charged for a 10$ upgrade. Rockstar said fuck that, Gimmie that full 60$

I think in the end, 10$ to upgrade your copy is fair game. 20 max.

Facts.

There is basically no difference and 3rd that choose to do on Xbox will do on PS5.

Yes, you being banned from Chartz for being a rabid fanboy but not really changing your ways IS facts, I agree.

If there is no difference between what Sony and MS are offering, that’s the best case scenario for PS gamers and everyone should want that.

But a service where Sony provides free next gen upgrades for their PS4 late gen titles and numerous third party publishers offer the same is not cross buy lol. It’s way beyond anything cross buy ever offered.

Last edited:

Tsukumo

Means nothing. Microsoft made a point out of being as much consumer friendly as possible this generation, likely to reshape their image after the Xbone launch. Problem is consumer friendly goes hand in hand with SWJ pandering, meaning it's like putting the cart in front of the horses: it's something that comes AFTER you delivered a bunch of solid games, not before that.
Don't forget PS4 dominated the first year of last generation with just Bloodborne. Just, Bloodborne! That's how much traction a single great game can give your machine. If they keep insisting on buying AA studios, instead of spending the same money to get an exclusive game from a AAA one like Sony does, they'll never catch on.
My fear is they are sticking to the Netflix strategy and that the rumors they want to abandon Xbox as a console are true. And the thing I fear about this is it makes likely they'll end the same road:
at first, tons of AAA titles on Gamepass, for outstanding consumer value at price subscription. Then they'll start producing a ton of self-published garbage and inflate the platform with content were 1 game of 100 is absolutely fantastic, while the rest of the 99 titles are abysmal shit with ZERO production value and supervision.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
If you buy cyberpunk on PS4, play for a couple of weeks and then buy the PS5. Can you continue playing on your save game? Because smart delivery supports that for EVERY game, and I think crossbuy only if the developer implements it, right?

Yes, I would imagine so. PlayStation has had cross-saves and cloud saves forever between PS3, PS4 and Vita.

ethomaz

Banned
Yes, you being banned from Chartz for being a rabid fanboy but not really changing your ways IS facts, I agree.

If there is no difference between what Sony and MS are offering, that’s the best case scenario for PS gamers and everyone should want that.

But a service where Sony provides free next gen upgrades for their PS4 late gen titles and numerous third party publishers offer the same is not cross buy lol. It’s way beyond anything cross buy ever offered.
I was actually banned on Chartz because a mod tried to blackmail (is that the word? Or Censorship?) me and I exposed the PM to public bia a big thread.

The actual thread if you are interested: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=211119
And just a hint I did not exposed the mod names at time but there where some of the biggest Xbox fans that turned mods in the time: Carl and Starcraf.
At the end another mod give me two options: accept the censorship or self-permaban me... I choose the second and told him they can ban me.
They unbanned me in 2016 or 2017 without I ask but I sent a message to Axum that I did not want that.
The from there become basically irrelevant.

It is exactly Cross-buy.
You buy the old gen version of the game and can play the upgraded next-gen version.
What is the difference?

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

It is the same for both in 2021. Both will downloading a whole new build from the server, and the older one will like been uninstalled.

SaucyJack

Well CDPR just confirmed SmartDelivery on Xbox is the same Crossbuy on PS5.

The situation is basically that:

- 3rd-party games with SmartDelivery on Xbox will Crossbuy in PS.
- 1st-party games on Xbox will have SmartDelivery.
- 1st-party games on PS5... well... they are made for PS5 only so you don’t need Crossbuy.

Indeed. Another one for the chalkboard.

I was actually banned on Chartz because a mod tried to blackmail (is that the word? Or Censorship?) me and I exposed the PM to public bia a big thread.

The actual thread if you are interested: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=211119
And just a hint I did not exposed the mod names at time but there where some of the biggest Xbox fans that turned mods in the time: Carl and Starcraf.
At the end another mod give me two options: accept the censorship or self-permaban me... I choose the second and told him they can ban me.
They unbanned me in 2016 or 2017 without I ask but I sent a message to Axum that I did not want that.
The from there become basically irrelevant.

It is exactly Cross-buy.
You buy the old gen version of the game and can play the upgraded next-gen version.
What is the difference?

I love how you link that thinking it paints you in a good light. Imagine being told “You aren't getting moderated but I am now imposing a ban on all future posts by you, you are hereby banned from mentioning anything to do with the Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One or the Xbox version of any game, and any Xbox exclusive, even if done respectfully”. You were literally being banned from discussing anything related to Xbox because you couldn’t do so without being a console warrior trash bag and you couldn’t accept that 😆

Regarding cross buy, again, this is something way beyond anything cross play ever offered. If you’re going to compare a free next gen upgrade of Last of Us II or Cyberpunk or Ghosts of Sushi to a free Vita version of My Name is Mayo then idk what to tell you 😆😆

ethomaz

Banned
I love how you link that thinking it paints you in a good light. Imagine being told “You aren't getting moderated but I am now imposing a ban on all future posts by you, you are hereby banned from mentioning anything to do with the Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One or the Xbox version of any game, and any Xbox exclusive, even if done respectfully”. You were literally being banned from discussing anything related to Xbox because you couldn’t do so without being a console warrior trash bag and you couldn’t accept that 😆

Regarding cross buy, again, this is something way beyond anything cross play ever offered. If you’re going to compare a free next gen upgrade of Last of Us II or Cyberpunk or Ghosts of Sushi to a free Vita version of My Name is Mayo then idk what to tell you 😆😆
Good light?
I'm just showing you the facts lol

So you can't tell the differences :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Dlacy13g

This seems to be being backed up by the announcement from the cyberpunk team. The PS4 version won't run on the PS5 if I'm reading their tweet correctly. You will have to wait to upgrade from the PS4 version to the PS5 version once they actually have the PS5 version complete.

killatopak

IhBUa9P.jpg

This seems to be being backed up by the announcement from the cyberpunk team. The PS4 version won't run on the PS5 if I'm reading their tweet correctly. You will have to wait to upgrade from the PS4 version to the PS5 version once they actually have the PS5 version complete.

Read the tweet. That includes the XSX.

Last edited:

I assume you just didn't read the tweet then? They literally said "Your PS4 copy of the game will work on PS5 on launch day".

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
That's the situation you have to accept when exiting a generation and it sounds to me SONY isn't concerned with console transition and maybe that's best for THEM.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

You mean like they currently do with the Pro/X? Funny, that.

Grinchy

Banned
So Cyberpunk is confirmed to have "Smart Delivery" on PS5. What's next? Assassin's Creed Valhalla? Or do people still think you have to pay $60 for a standalone next-gen version of that because only Microsoft is capable of writing a line of code that tells a next-gen console to download an update that only it can have? :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
So Cyberpunk is confirmed to have "Smart Delivery" on PS5. What's next? Assassin's Creed Valhalla? Or do people still think you have to pay $60 for a standalone next-gen version of that because only Microsoft is capable of writing a line of code that tells a next-gen console to download an update that only it can have? :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Arrogant Sony....they will force third party to let us pay for it, while XSX users will get it for FREEEEEEEEEE!!

SaucyJack

You were talking about a remastered version, not a remake. Simply stating „It’s backwards compatible“ doesn‘t do that version justice.

The point, several posts back, was that Halo 3 (360) is to Halo 3 MCC (XBO) what The Last of Us (PS3) is to the Last of Us Remastered (PS4). Neither was a free upgrade.

Last edited:

KaiserBecks

The point, several posts back, was that Halo 3 (360) is to Halo 3 MCC (XBO) what The Last of Us (PS3) is to the Last of Us Remastered (PS4)

I see. I wonder what happens when you put a ps3 copy of TLOU Into a ps4 though? People keep downplaying Smart delivery (which I agree is a stupid Marketing term) because appearently Sony has had cross buy for years. Yet they keep selling remasters.

ethomaz

Banned
I see. I wonder what happens when you put a ps3 copy of TLOU Into a ps4 though? People keep downplaying Smart delivery (which I agree is a stupid Marketing term) because appearently Sony has had cross buy for years. Yet they keep selling remasters.
But TLOU doesn't have Cross-buy.
Just like the example he give to you... if you want the Remastered Hallo 3 you need to buy MCC.

KaiserBecks

Just like the example he give to you... if you want the Remastered Hallo 3 you need to buy MCC.
Correct. It doesnt have crossbuy, and MS didn‘t have Smart Delivery back then. Which is why this whole „Sony has crossbuy“ argument doesnt make sense.

Grinchy

Banned
The only reason MS has Smart Delivery is because their 1st party games are cross-gen. that's it, end of the story.
Yep and that's the other amazing twist MS put on reality that people lapped up as well. They've been able to convince people that patches for games running on XSX being downloaded automatically is a new feature because they slapped a name on it.

And they also convinced people to be happy about the XSX not having any 1st party next-gen software for at least a year because it's "pro consumer" to have "every game work on every Xbox"...you know, until they finally get around to releasing their real next-gen games :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You have to hand it to whoever is in charge of this stuff over there. It's genuinely brilliant.

SaucyJack

Nothing happens. PS4 does not have backwards compatibility with PS3.

Again, Sony doesn't seem to be doing cross-gen first party games to begin with so there is no "smart delivery" there because there is no PS4 version. Third party games it's up to the publisher on BOTH platforms, MS can't force it and neither can Sony, no publisher is going to allow free upgrades for one platform and not the other, don't fall for marketing BS.

As far as "smart delivery" as in only downloading assets you need for the game, isn't that already being done? you aren't going to download two full copies of the game, it's going to either just delete the old game and put the new one in or patch in the higher end assets over the old stuff instead of rebuilding it all from scratch.

Xbox One, Xbox One S and Xbox One X are the same console so that is how it had to be.

Is this a big deal?because I don't see it being a big deal that Sony won't have it all I care about is ps4 games being able to play on my 5 will move on as quickly as I can from previous gen games...

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Incorrect, there is a backwards compatible version which runs at 4k on X1X.

I know is DF, but they are not talking about Playstation in this one : P

Again, Sony doesn't seem to be doing cross-gen first party games to begin with so there is no "smart delivery" there because there is no PS4 version. Third party games it's up to the publisher on BOTH platforms, MS can't force it and neither can Sony, no publisher is going to allow free upgrades for one platform and not the other, don't fall for marketing BS.

As far as "smart delivery" as in only downloading assets you need for the game, isn't that already being done? you aren't going to download two full copies of the game, it's going to either just delete the old game and put the new one in or patch in the higher end assets over the old stuff instead of rebuilding it all from scratch.

Stop talking sense. Succumb to the marketing buzzword.

Genx3

Smart Delivery it's exactly the same than Cross Buy but with another name: you buy one of the games that support this feature

To all saying Cross buy is the same as Smart Delivery I would really appreciate it if you can give me 1 or 2 examples of where Cross buy lets you purchase a AAA level retail or digital game on a Current Gen console when it launches but can later download the superior next gen version once it launches at a later date.

Top Bottom