• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 reportedly won’t have its own Xbox Smart Delivery alternative

Grinchy

Banned
Well, I know I'm right. I can easily just archive your comments claiming otherwise and then embarrass you when October rolls around. But I won't bother because I'm not as petty as you appear to be.
Wow, I don't know why you're making it personal. I don't see what's petty about it at all. I thought we were just talking here!

What are you actually saying? That the PS5 will not have the same Assassin's Creed enhancements unless you buy a whole new, full-priced version of the game made specifically for PS5? And on XSX, it'll be a free upgrade? Because I'd be willing to do a Gold bet with you on that.

it was targeted for vita owners since most people werent buying the vita versions of those games.
I'm sure it's a common sentiment towards xbox one versions of multiplatform games right now lol
Seriously speaking, I think that the absence of backwards compatibility between ps3 and ps4 made the cross buy option harder to be a reality.
Actually I hope that more developers and publishers will offer a free upgrade patch

Ugh, I laugh any time someone compares this to fucking cross buy. No, Smart Delivery isn’t some magic new technology. It’s just another great consumer friendly initiative from MS. But no, it’s not cross buy. Cross buy is more akin to the Play Anywhere program MS already has.

Cross buy is buying a copy of Doki Doki universe, Laser Ball Defender or a number of other mostly indie/PSN doodoo and getting a free PS3 or PS4 or Vita copy. Smart Delivery is buying any MS first party game or a number of big AAA third party titles and getting a free next gen upgrade. I don’t even remember there being any difference in most of the games on the cross buy list because they were mostly really small scale games. That’s nothing like buying Gears 5 on Xbone and getting a free next gen upgrade two years later. The game already had its cross buy type functionality because if you buy it you get a Windows copy too.

No, Smart Delivery isnt really new but it’s still way past cross buy.

Ugh, I laugh any time someone compares this to fucking cross buy. No, Smart Delivery isn’t some magic new technology. It’s just another great consumer friendly initiative from MS. But no, it’s not cross buy. Cross buy is more akin to the Play Anywhere program MS already has.

Cross buy is buying a copy of Doki Doki universe, Laser Ball Defender or a number of other mostly indie/PSN doodoo and getting a free PS3 or PS4 or Vita copy. Smart Delivery is buying any MS first party game or a number of big AAA third party titles and getting a free next gen upgrade. I don’t even remember there being any difference in most of the games on the cross buy list because they were mostly really small scale games. That’s nothing like buying Gears 5 on Xbone and getting a free next gen upgrade two years later. The game already had its cross buy type functionality because if you buy it you get a Windows copy too.

Xbox needs to show this. I think simply showing Red Dead Redemption running in 4k HDR or any other game you already own from the past that wasn't optimized for the new consoles being optimized by the Xbox team and you owning that version for free on XsX would bring the message home.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Xbox needs to show this. I think simply showing Red Dead Redemption running in 4k HDR or any other game you already own from the past that wasn't optimized for the new consoles being optimized by the Xbox team and you owning that version for free on XsX would bring the message home.
We have zero indication that RDR is going to support Smart Delivery or have a next-gen version lol

Last edited:

Keihart

If you think Sony would have to target the game for PS4 specs to run on a PS5 with Ray tracing higher FPS, HDR and less Jaggies then you don't understand smart delivery (which is fine) and it seems thread's like this are needed.
Example : halo Infinite-the XSX is not halo Infinite coded for the XBO with upgrades. It's 3 versions of the game it's literally the Xbox or the XSX or even the X1X version....with the appropriate Bells and whistles for free with no extra step to the players. No Download key, just pop and play. It's not reinventing the wheel, just a rounder version. Ipod wasn't the first MP3 player, but who got it right?

And yeah you'd be happy af to have a Smart delivery version of TLOU 2 offered free, then paying$70 for a reason in a year and 6 months
Dude, that implies using the abstraction layers that devs are bitching about in xbox. And even then, you DO have to design the game for the lower common denominator if you do forward compatibility, just like devs do in PC.

If next gen games are last gen games only with those fidelity bumps your are talking about, then it's not a new generation...then it's just like playing on PC.
HZD2 will not need to make swirling paths to allow streaming on PS4, or have such a low variety of assets like this gen, or any other limitations born from the lower specs of last gen machine. Target hardware changes design a lot, even on indie games.

Sony once again with those consumer winning choices

You get to purchase the same game you bought last generation but with some added bells
Comments like these are why I am thinking about just leaving these forums. Like really, do you believe this FUD or are you just ignorant? You do realize that PS5 is BC with PS4 right? Also crossbuy exists and PS5 native mode. Do some research instead of blindly chanting for a plastic box.

Dolomite

Dude, that implies using the abstraction layers that devs are bitching about in xbox. And even then, you DO have to design the game for the lower common denominator if you do forward compatibility, just like devs do in PC.

If next gen games are last gen games only with those fidelity bumps your are talking about, then it's not a new generation...then it's just like playing on PC.
HZD2 will not need to make swirling paths to allow streaming on PS4, or have such a low variety of assets like this gen, or any other limitations born from the lower specs of last gen machine. Target hardware changes design a lot, even on indie games.
Yeah I see what you're doing saying. Ay the same time I feel we are both arguing Symantecs. Seems like 2 roads to the same destination. Like I've admitted 3 xs in this thread, MS isn't inventing anything new but they are following through with what started as a bright idea then fell off. Again like I said earlier I'll be just as excited to hear Sony announce the same for thier 1st party titles

sinseers

Okay, lots of confusion happening in this thread, so let's try to clear up some of the muddy waters.

1. Smart Delivery is not the same as "X Enhanced Patch" or enhanced backwards compatibility. Currently with the Xbox One X, you have some games that have been enhanced for the Xbox One X that is downloaded to your console. Also, some BC games are enhanced for Xbox One X, like higher resolution, HDR support, better frame rate, and more. Smart Delivery does this, but goes beyond it. If there is a XsX sku for a product then that is what is being delivered to you, not just an enhancement patch. In previous generations, you would have to pay for the game twice (Titan Fall and Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag both fell victim to this at this generation's launch). Now you don't for the supported games.

2. Smart Delivery handles the back end portion for developers where it comes to handling the downloads/licenses. The developers still have to make the XsX sku along with the Xbone sku, with both having their differences for the two different consoles. However, MS does the handling of automatically allowing the customer to download the XsX sku to their console after the Xbone sku has been purchased (either through disc or digital). Before, third-party developers would have to include a download key in their packaging for the update, or some other system (like an account on their website that would link to your Xbox account, gifting you the game). With Smart Delivery, that portion is removed for the developers. If the game is included in the system, MS will manage the license for the customer to automatically download the XsX version of the game.
I know many argue that this is the same as Sony's Cross Buy system, but it really isn't. What Sony did with PS3 games and with the Vita was great, but it was not for all of their first-party games. Not all first-party games could be played on Vita vs the PS3. Looking at the list of PS3 to PS4 cross buy games, they are mostly smaller PSN games. I do not see any big first-party games. When you look at a game like Gran Turismo 6 that was released after the PS4, but was only available for PS3, you wonder why Sony did not make a PS4 version and why it would not have been cross buy. Where Microsoft is going all in on this, Sony was reserved.

Going from the WiiU to the Switch, Nintendo released a lot of games on both consoles, with improvements to the Switch version. Wouldn't it have been nice if those of us who already purchased those games on the WiiU (the few and the proud) could transferred those games over to the Switch, without having to buy them again? Smart Delivery gives us that.
I am under the impression that smart delivery is a transitional initiative as I gather there will barely be any games released for this gen by mid next gen. Correct me if I am wrong though.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Anyone saying this is the same as Cross buy are being disingenuous.

giphy.gif

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It's also referring to forward compatibility. I suggest you actually read the article.

Still not the same as a next gen version of a game.

Just means the game has to work on the PS5’s BC mode.

And Smart Delivery is not forward compatabiloty so what does that have to do with anything?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

Well CDPR just confirmed SmartDelivery on Xbox is the same Crossbuy on PS5.

The situation is basically that:

- 3rd-party games with SmartDelivery on Xbox will Crossbuy in PS.
- 1st-party games on Xbox will have SmartDelivery.
- 1st-party games on PS5... well... they are made for PS5 only so you don’t need Crossbuy.

Last edited:

yurinka

Anyone saying this is the same as Cross buy are being disingenuous.
Smart Delivery it's exactly the same than Cross Buy but with another name: you buy one of the games that support this feature (not all the games released in both console support it, there will be only some of them) and can download different versions of that game in different consoles where it's being sold. It's mostly for the same game ported to different platforms or crossgen games, not for remakes or remasters.

All the 3rd party games that I know they announced to support Smart Delivery they also mentioned that will do the same in PS5: Rainbow Six Siege, Destiny 2, Cyberpunk 2077, FIFA 21 and Madden 21.

An example of the opposite is the next gen "expanded and enhaced" GTAV doesn't seem to be free for PS4/XBO GTAV users, or at least its GTA Online, because it will be free during 3 months for PS5 users. Which I assume it means that outside these 3 months won't be free for PS5 users, and Series X users will always have to pay it. But both Series X and PS5 players will be able to play BC PS4/XBO version without being "expanded and enhaced" for free, obviously.

Last edited:

- 1st-party games on PS5... well... they are made for PS5 only so you don’t need Crossbuy.

No they didn’t, they’re just providing a free upgrade for PS4 owners. How does this relate to the cross buy we saw at the start of this gen 😆

You haven’t changed a bit since being banned from Chartz, still posting sheer nonsense.

This guy gets it.

No they didn’t, they’re just providing a free upgrade for PS4 owners. How does this relate to the cross buy we saw at the start of this gen 😆

You haven’t changed a bit since being banned from Chartz, still posting sheer nonsense.

If you buy cyberpunk on PS4 physical or digital, you're going to get the PS5 upgrade for free. Go listen to the Audio. EA is doing the same with their Sports games.

Grinchy

Banned

I mean it's up to developers to decide that

There's no way this is possible because the only way a system can download an update for a game is if you name the process first. Until Sony makes up a name for game patches and updates, I just won't believe even the developers themselves!!

Seriously though, I'm shocked that Cyberpunk will have a day 1 upgrade for next-gen. I really assumed they'd wait a year and release a "next-gen" version of the game with some extra missions or something and charge full price again.

Smart Delivery is such an un-intuitive label (to me). Sounds like some new service being offered by your local Pizza Hut.

"Order now using Smart Delivery to have your pizza delivered covertly by one of our many highly-trained delivery ninjas. You're wife will never suspect you spent the evening gorging on a double-stuffed pepperoni pie, 1/2 lb of cheesy bread and a 2-liter bottle of Coke after she went to bed!"

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
This is one of those things most of the people using it for console war ammo will probably never use. How many games are you going to realistically want to play on both Xbox One AND Xbox Series?

Cross-buy and cross-save between a portable and a home console was a much bigger deal than this. Especially, when all these games are BC anyway.

It's a marketing stunt.
Depends on how many tv's and consoles you'll have in your household. I'll probably buy XSX, and put the Xbox One in my office. So I'll be using this feature quite a lot. If you only have 1 console then it doesn't matter that much.

^This. Smart Delivery is just a new marketing name for Cross-Buy b/c Xbox wanted to act like they were offering something PlayStation wasn't. Sony has had Cross-Buy for almost a decade now. Third parties will have the choice of offering it and as you're starting to see most of them probably will. As for first-party, well none of Sony's PS5 games are going to be on PS4 so. I'm sure Sony will offer some kind of free upgrade for both TLOU 2 and Ghost of Tsushima on PS5.

ethomaz

Banned

Facts.

There is basically no difference and 3rd that choose to do on Xbox will do on PS5.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Facts.

There is basically no difference and 3rd that choose to do on Xbox will do on PS5.
If you buy cyberpunk on PS4, play for a couple of weeks and then buy the PS5. Can you continue playing on your save game? Because smart delivery supports that for EVERY game, and I think crossbuy only if the developer implements it, right?

ethomaz

Banned
If you buy cyberpunk on PS4, play for a couple of weeks and then buy the PS5. Can you continue playing on your save game? Because smart delivery supports that for EVERY game, and I think crossbuy only if the developer implements it, right?
You need Cross-sabe for that.

But I’m still to see a Cross-buy game without Cross-save... the opposite happened frequently with Cross-save games without Cross-buy.

Last edited:

vkbest

You need Cross-sabe for that.

But I’m still to see a Cross-buy game without Cross-save... the opposite happened frequently with Cross-sabe games without Cross-buy.

If PS5 is BC compatible means PS5 have to support PS4 saves at OS level or at least capable to upgrade automatically to PS5 saves.

Last edited:

Nevaeh

Why isn't Sony talking about cross buy ? if people are not aware of it companies could get away with it and we probably won't be receiving any free upgrades.

IDK about microsoft or XSX but they actually did something good this time which is making people aware of it and putting companies in a bad spot for not listening to their customers if they didnt decide to give free upgrade for next gen.

People here just hate microsoft on what ever they're doing even if its acutally good for consumers

BTW Im a big sony fanboy and I dont plan on buying xsx

ethomaz

Banned
Why isn't Sony talking about cross buy ? if people are not aware of it companies could get away with it and we probably won't be receiving any free upgrades.

IDK about microsoft or XSX but they actually did something good this time which is making people aware of it and putting companies in a bad spot for not listening to their customers if they didnt decide to give free upgrade for next gen.

People here just hate microsoft on what ever they're doing even if its acutally good for consumers

BTW Im a big sony fanboy and I dont plan on buying xsx
Sony doesn’t keep marketing the name of the tech they released like MS...

Do you see Sony saying Play Go, Play Share, etc after the announce of the feature? In simple terms the name is not important... the feature is.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I’m sure Sony will have a version of this, it will just be the most convoluted version of something that can be super easy.

Nevaeh

Sony doesn’t keep marketing the name of the tech they released like MS...

Do you see Sony saying Play Go, Play Share, etc after the announce of the feature? In simple terms the name is not important... the feature is.

I mean they did this back in 2013

Why can't they do it again with cross buy ?

Kagey K

Banned
I mean they did this back in 2013

Why can't they do it again with cross buy ?

Because now they want to sell you a version of thier system that won’t even accept the disc you pass to your friend.

Watch that same vid and imagine you owned the all digital PS5. It doesn’t work anymore.

They are now doing the exact same things they railed XB1 for doing.

Last edited:

Nevaeh

Because now they want to sell you a version of thier system that won’t even accept the disc you pass to your friend.

Watch that same vid and imagine you owned the all digital PS5. It doesn’t work anymore.
nah that wasn't the point, the point was sony were talking about it in 2013 as a friendly consumer thing which was nothing new since sharing discs were a thing since ps1

they can still talk about cross buy which is also nothing new in 2020

is it really that hard ?

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
nah that wasn't the point, the point was sony were talking about it in 2013 as a friendly consumer thing which was nothing new since sharing discs were a thing since ps1

they can still talk about cross buy which is also nothing new in 2020

is it really that hard ?
Apparently so. Or they would have done it already.

House could have came out at the end of the PS5 reveal and said “we believe in generations, but....” and explained it all. (B/C and crossbuy)

Instead he left it at we believe in generations and left it at that.

Wouldn’t leave a good feeling in my gut if I was waiting on that announcement.

Last edited:
I'm genuinely confused by what 'Smart delivery fans' are trying to argue it is, or what it actually is.

Are they saying for every MS exclusive, the game is developed by 4 separate teams (XB1 team, X1X, Series S and Series X) that deliver a version of the game for that MS console, so when you pop the disc in, that version is loaded up?

Surely it's more plausible that the dev just scales one version of the game for all the consoles? This would suggest that those with big concerns over Series X exclusives being held back by XB1 had legitimate concerns, as Smart Delivery means the Series X version is the same as the XB1 game but with settings dialled up significantly.

Nevaeh

Apparently so. Or they would have done it already.

House could have came out at the end of the PS5 reveal and said “we believe in generations, but....” and explained it all. (B/C and crossbuy)

Instead he left it at we believe in generations and left it at that.

Wouldn’t leave a good feeling in my gut if I was waiting on that announcement.

yeah it seems if they did talk about it it will result in people complaining about not supporting first party games on ps4

hmm I get it now but hopefully they talk about it next time they reveal the new UI, new psn features on ps5 and backward compatibility ,etc..

fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I'm genuinely confused by what 'Smart delivery fans' are trying to argue it is, or what it actually is.

Are they saying for every MS exclusive, the game is developed by 4 separate teams (XB1 team, X1X, Series S and Series X) that deliver a version of the game for that MS console, so when you pop the disc in, that version is loaded up?

Surely it's more plausible that the dev just scales one version of the game for all the consoles? This would suggest that those with big concerns over Series X exclusives being held back by XB1 had legitimate concerns, as Smart Delivery means the Series X version is the same as the XB1 game but with settings dialled up significantly.

Basically when it imitates the download, it gets the version of the game that is right for you.

Lets say I own a Series X and and XB1 and an XBox one X.

I buy 1 disc, I got into my main gaming room and put the disc in.

It pulls all the series X files and gives me the best game available.
Then I eject it and go upstairs, I put the same disc into my XB1 and it pulls all the files so I can run it on my Xbox one.

Then I wake up in the morning and go out to the living room. I pop the same disc in and it downloads all the Xbox 1 one X files.

Its one version covers all versions.

Grinchy

Banned
Basically when it imitates the download, it gets the version of the game that is right for you.

Lets say I own a Series X and and XB1 and an XBox one X.

I buy 1 disc, I got into my main gaming room and put the disc in.

It pulls all the series X files and gives me the best game available.
Then I eject it and go upstairs, I put the same disc into my XB1 and it pulls all the files so I can run it on my Xbox one.

Then I wake up in the morning and go out to the living room. I pop the same disc in and it downloads all the Xbox 1 one X files.

Its one version covers all versions.
So when people put Cyberpunk into a PS4, it might accidentally download the PS5 update on a PS4 because Sony doesn't have "Smart Delivery?"

I'm being facetious here, obviously. I just cannot understand why anyone is excited that the next-gen consoles will know they are next-gen consoles and figure out they need to download the update file when you put in a last-gen game that has an enhancement update.

Top Bottom