• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 reportedly won’t have its own Xbox Smart Delivery alternative

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Cyberpunk 2077.
The game in the links.
This thread is about the concept of cross-buy/smart delivery in general.

But what does that matter if there won't be one at launch? Or whether we are talking about CyberPunk or Assassin's Creed or any other Smart Delivery title?

BC isn't smart delivery... so you'll get CyberPunk BC at launch.. and then eventually the CyberPunk XSX version via Smart Delivery.

ethomaz

Banned
This thread is about the concept of cross-buy/smart delivery in general.

But what does that matter if there won't be one at launch? Or whether we are talking about CyberPunk or Assassin's Creed or any other Smart Delivery title?

BC isn't smart delivery... so you'll get CyberPunk BC at launch.. and then eventually the CyberPunk XSX version via Smart Delivery.
So why you did quote me about Cyberpunk 2077? They were talking about Cyberpunk.
CDRP said they will work on next-gen patch after the launch.

It is definitively a patch.
Dev needs work on it.

There is no magic lol

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

So why you did quote me about Cyberpunk 2077? They were talking about Cyberpunk.
CDRP said they will work on next-gen patch after the launch.

What does whether or not it's a next-gen version of a game have to do with the fact it won't be ready at launch?

Your response might as well have been "lol cheesburgers" because it would be just as relevant as your deflection.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
What does whether or not it's a next-gen version of a game have to do with the fact it won't be ready at launch?

Your response might as well have been "lol cheesburgers" because it would be just as relevant as your deflection.
C'mon why did you quote me if the subject was Cyberpunk 2077 ? If you don't have the context of my comment why quote me?
Read the thread.

Last edited:

Three

From the other thread:

Frankly what is irritating are the xbox fans who hang on to every small statement as some confirmation bias of PS5 not having something. That's not DF fault.

"I didnt see Cerny mention RDNA 2 it must not be RDNA 2"

Yes it's confirmed RDNA 2

"They said it has Ray tracing but they didn't say it has hardware Ray tracing"

Yes it has "hardware Ray tracing".

"but does it have SFS otherwise sony would have said it does"
"but does it have VRS"
"but does it have..."

It's infuriating and DF making statements like that doesn't help even if not their intention.
Once/if games support cross-buy they will move on to some other marketing buzzword.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

From the other thread:

Once/if games support cross-buy they will move on to some other marketing buzzword.
This thread is about a quote from a Sony executive though claiming they don't have something quite like Smart Delivery...

I would assume they'll have a Cross buy program, but sounds like it's not going to be implemented like Smart Delivery if that quote is accurate.. Although it is translated from Japanese.

In the end all Sony would have to do is use whatever they are using for BC patches and let devs write a Native PS5 patch.. and it's the same thing, so I'm a bit confused why they don't have it.. or they will, and just won't market it cohesively like MS is doing.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

C'mon why did you quote me if the subject was Cyberpunk 2077 ?
Read the thread.

And you confused me because your post had literally nothing to do with what I said.. whether it's a next-gen version or a patch has dick-all to do with "lol it won't be ready at launch".

lol cheesburgers

ethomaz

Banned
And you confused me because your post had literally nothing to do with what I said.. whether it's a next-gen version or a patch has dick-all to do with "lol it won't be ready at launch".

lol cheesburgers
Bullshit.

You tried to say something unrelated.
I called you out and you keep changing the subject.
You were dumb enough to reply to me without read what it was being discussed.

Hint - The subject was always (before you started to mess) about Cyberpunk... and the dev confirmed that the next-gen patch enhancement won't be ready at launch because they will work after that.

Last edited:

Three

This thread is about a quote from a Sony executive though claiming they don't have something quite like Smart Delivery...

I would assume they'll have a Cross buy program, but sounds like it's not going to be implemented like Smart Delivery if that quote is accurate.. Although it is translated from Japanese.

In the end all Sony would have to do is use whatever they are using for BC patches and let devs write a Native PS5 patch.. and it's the same thing, so I'm a bit confused why they don't have it.. or they will, and just won't market it cohesively like MS is doing.
In what way?
This was the quote:

“plans to be as flexible as possible in supporting any publishers choosing to provide upgrade plans.”

IntentionalPun

In what way?
This was the quote:

“plans to be as flexible as possible in supporting any publishers choosing to provide upgrade plans.”

Regarding upgrade support, there is no unified standard such as " Smart Delivery " adopted by Xbox Series X, and it is up to the publisher to decide whether or not to support it, the mechanism, and the additional cost.

Likely will support it easily with digital purchases but disk based purchased might use a download code or other options up to the pub (if that article is accurate.)

Which isn't a big deal at all...

Last edited:

Three

Likely will support it easily with digital purchases but disk based purchased might use a download code or other options up to the pub (if that article is accurate.)

Which isn't a big deal at all...
That's a quote from the article doing the speculating and concern article.

The spokesman said they would be as flexible as possible. Doesn't mean that the store doesn't already support this feature. I mean if small indies are supporting this just fine across 4 devices what do you think it's lacking right now?

Unless you think there is something specific behind the 'smart delivery' buzzword there is absolutely no difference. Tell me what is different about it?

The store provides this and the console downloads the correct version of the game.

IntentionalPun

The simplest way to understand this is if you buy Halo Infinite for XOne you won't have to buy it again for XSX.

Can the same be said for TLOU2 if you buy it on PS4? Will it automatically be upgraded at no charge for PS5?
We don't know if Sony is creating a PS5 native version of TLOU 2 though... MS is building an XSX native version of Halo.

You should get BC of TLOU2 though. And it might be boosted, but probably wont' have added ray tracing or other advancements like Halo infinite will on XSX.

IntentionalPun

That's a quote from the article doing the speculating and concern article.

The spokesman said they would be as flexible as possible. Doesn't mean that the store doesn't already support this feature. I mean if small indies are supporting this just fine across 4 devices what do you think it's lacking right now?

Unless you think there is something specific behind the 'smart delivery' buzzword there is absolutely no difference. Tell me what is different about it?

The store provides this and the console downloads the correct version of the game.
Right.. this is already supported on digital games... on PS3/PS4.. and 360/XBox one for that matter (as I indicated with the post you just quoted.)

Smart delivery works seamlessly for games whether disk or digital. In the past "cross buy" for disk based games was handled in different ways; often with a downlaod code.

Maybe I should have just copied and pasted the post you JUST quoted of mine because this sure feels like I'm repeating myself.

Last edited:

Three

Right.. this is already supported on digital games... on PS3/PS4.. and 360/XBox one for that matter (as I indicated with the post you just quoted.)

Smart delivery works seamlessly for games whether disk or digital. In the past "cross buy" for disk based games was handled in different ways; often with a downlaod code.

Maybe I should have just copied and pasted the post you JUST quoted of mine because this sure feels like I'm repeating myself.

Your post had nothing in it regarding disc vs digital until the edit and I hit reply.

If that is what you are referring to, you download the digital version (identical to the digital version already) and authenticate with the disc. Not a huge cost or time sink to the dev exactly is it?

Unless

Now you’re confusing their BC with smart delivery

Jesus Christ and people say Sony aren't clear on their messaging.

read my other post -the cyber punk devs have said there will be no series x version ready at launch
Smart delivery is a form of BC no matter how you slice it. Bringing old games to new consoles is BC, upgrades on the old games for the new console is Smart Delivery.

IntentionalPun

Your post had nothing in it regarding disc vs digital until the edit and I hit reply.

lol, all I edited in was "which isn't a big deal" .. TEN FULL MINUTES before you quoted me.

If that is what you are referring to, you download the digital version (identical to the digital version already) and authenticate with the disc. Not a huge cost or time sink to the dev exactly is it?

Unless

And you need a system in place for allowing this and having it work that way...

MS has one, it's called Smart Delivery. This isn't how Cross-Buy worked for disk based games last gen on either system.

soulbait

Okay, lots of confusion happening in this thread, so let's try to clear up some of the muddy waters.

1. Smart Delivery is not the same as "X Enhanced Patch" or enhanced backwards compatibility. Currently with the Xbox One X, you have some games that have been enhanced for the Xbox One X that is downloaded to your console. Also, some BC games are enhanced for Xbox One X, like higher resolution, HDR support, better frame rate, and more. Smart Delivery does this, but goes beyond it. If there is a XsX sku for a product then that is what is being delivered to you, not just an enhancement patch. In previous generations, you would have to pay for the game twice (Titan Fall and Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag both fell victim to this at this generation's launch). Now you don't for the supported games.

2. Smart Delivery handles the back end portion for developers where it comes to handling the downloads/licenses. The developers still have to make the XsX sku along with the Xbone sku, with both having their differences for the two different consoles. However, MS does the handling of automatically allowing the customer to download the XsX sku to their console after the Xbone sku has been purchased (either through disc or digital). Before, third-party developers would have to include a download key in their packaging for the update, or some other system (like an account on their website that would link to your Xbox account, gifting you the game). With Smart Delivery, that portion is removed for the developers. If the game is included in the system, MS will manage the license for the customer to automatically download the XsX version of the game.
I know many argue that this is the same as Sony's Cross Buy system, but it really isn't. What Sony did with PS3 games and with the Vita was great, but it was not for all of their first-party games. Not all first-party games could be played on Vita vs the PS3. Looking at the list of PS3 to PS4 cross buy games, they are mostly smaller PSN games. I do not see any big first-party games. When you look at a game like Gran Turismo 6 that was released after the PS4, but was only available for PS3, you wonder why Sony did not make a PS4 version and why it would not have been cross buy. Where Microsoft is going all in on this, Sony was reserved.

Going from the WiiU to the Switch, Nintendo released a lot of games on both consoles, with improvements to the Switch version. Wouldn't it have been nice if those of us who already purchased those games on the WiiU (the few and the proud) could transferred those games over to the Switch, without having to buy them again? Smart Delivery gives us that.

NickFire

Okay, lots of confusion happening in this thread, so let's try to clear up some of the muddy waters.

1. Smart Delivery is not the same as "X Enhanced Patch" or enhanced backwards compatibility. Currently with the Xbox One X, you have some games that have been enhanced for the Xbox One X that is downloaded to your console. Also, some BC games are enhanced for Xbox One X, like higher resolution, HDR support, better frame rate, and more. Smart Delivery does this, but goes beyond it. If there is a XsX sku for a product then that is what is being delivered to you, not just an enhancement patch. In previous generations, you would have to pay for the game twice (Titan Fall and Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag both fell victim to this at this generation's launch). Now you don't for the supported games.

2. Smart Delivery handles the back end portion for developers where it comes to handling the downloads/licenses. The developers still have to make the XsX sku along with the Xbone sku, with both having their differences for the two different consoles. However, MS does the handling of automatically allowing the customer to download the XsX sku to their console after the Xbone sku has been purchased (either through disc or digital). Before, third-party developers would have to include a download key in their packaging for the update, or some other system (like an account on their website that would link to your Xbox account, gifting you the game). With Smart Delivery, that portion is removed for the developers. If the game is included in the system, MS will manage the license for the customer to automatically download the XsX version of the game.
I know many argue that this is the same as Sony's Cross Buy system, but it really isn't. What Sony did with PS3 games and with the Vita was great, but it was not for all of their first-party games. Not all first-party games could be played on Vita vs the PS3. Looking at the list of PS3 to PS4 cross buy games, they are mostly smaller PSN games. I do not see any big first-party games. When you look at a game like Gran Turismo 6 that was released after the PS4, but was only available for PS3, you wonder why Sony did not make a PS4 version and why it would not have been cross buy. Where Microsoft is going all in on this, Sony was reserved.

Going from the WiiU to the Switch, Nintendo released a lot of games on both consoles, with improvements to the Switch version. Wouldn't it have been nice if those of us who already purchased those games on the WiiU (the few and the proud) could transferred those games over to the Switch, without having to buy them again? Smart Delivery gives us that.
Your interpretation of how smart delivery works and differs is what I expected. And you're spot on regarding how nice it would have been for Nintendo to have done it with Wii U --> Switch games.

With respect to Sony, I have doubted they would have this feature because they already have a much larger audience and stand to gain too much money reselling the 2020 and maybe older first party games as remasters. MS had more incentive because the program is a good feature for those interested in buying into their eco-system before going next gen, and it fits nicely with the image they have been building. I wish Sony was copying it though. Not having it will keep me from buying any more of their games for the time being because I don't want to pay twice (assuming I stick with PS).

Keihart

Probably the only real difference it's this shit about Directx and the abstraction layers they have going on, since devs are obligated to use them while developing the game but can later be used to be compatible in the xbox ecosystem.

I'm assuming this, but besides that, i don't know what's the news here.

Dolomite

Damn Xbox fans really have fallen over that meaningles Smart Delivery bullshit :messenger_tears_of_joy:
It's a feature that benefits the industry. Like Sony offering free online play during the PS3 days. Why complain because my 360 doesn't do that? If u hate fanboys fine but the feature isn't bullshit it's awesome. The fact that MS had committed all 15 of it's in-house studios to the service is a breathe of fresh air. It says "even if EA or R* Won't offer this, we got your back" smart of nothin saving themselves from criticism.

Also you know damn well if Sony promised the same for TLOU2, HZD2 or Spiderman Miles Morales you'd be going nuts

Keihart

It's a feature that benefits the industry. Like Sony offering free online play during the PS3 days. Why complain because my 360 doesn't do that? If u hate fanboys fine but the feature isn't bullshit it's awesome. The fact that MS had committed all 15 of it's in-house studios to the service is a breathe of fresh air. It says "even if EA or R* Won't offer this, we got your back" smart of nothin saving themselves from criticism.

Also you know damn well if Sony promised the same for TLOU2, HZD2 or Spiderman Miles Morales you'd be going nuts
you want HZD2 to be targeting PS4 specs? eeew, what's wrong with you...
TLoU2 most certainly will be running in PS5 since there is BC with PS4.

Last edited:

NickFire

I can't fathom why anyone wouldn't want this to become a standard feature from the consumer perspective. I guess some people just love the license model to stay as narrow as possible.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I wish Sony had the foresight to advertise that feature last gen as Microsoft has been this generation. The main difference between how Sony did it last gen to how Microsoft is doing it this generation is cross save. I think that is the only thing we didn't have with cross buy on the PS4.

There was cross save, I utilized it jumping from the Vita version to the PS3/PS4 versions in many Indie RPGS and the like. It was not in every game, nor is it in every game for MS either. These two methods are pretty much identical other than how they are marketed currently by MS, and lack there of by Sony.

Last edited:

Dolomite

you all know that publisher can decline smart delivery too, right? it's not like microsoft is making it mandatory
Yeah we get that. It's a development tool that simply makes it easier. No need for 2 SDK's.
Also they are making their 15 first party studios commit which is the impressive part

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I'm sure someone already said this but isn't Smart Delivery just "forwards compatability"?

As in, Sony said they believe in console generations. So why would Sony have their own Smart Delivery feature then?

Dolomite

you want HZD2 to be targeting PS4 specs? eeew, what's wrong with you...
TLoU2 most certainly will be running in PS5 since there is BC with PS4.
If you think Sony would have to target the game for PS4 specs to run on a PS5 with Ray tracing higher FPS, HDR and less Jaggies then you don't understand smart delivery (which is fine) and it seems thread's like this are needed.
Example : halo Infinite-the XSX is not halo Infinite coded for the XBO with upgrades. It's 3 versions of the game it's literally the Xbox or the XSX or even the X1X version....with the appropriate Bells and whistles for free with no extra step to the players. No Download key, just pop and play. It's not reinventing the wheel, just a rounder version. Ipod wasn't the first MP3 player, but who got it right?

And yeah you'd be happy af to have a Smart delivery version of TLOU 2 offered free, then paying$70 for a reason in a year and 6 months

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

I'm sure someone already said this but isn't Smart Delivery just "forwards compatability"?

As in, Sony said they believe in console generations. So why would Sony have their own Smart Delivery feature then?

Because their 3rd party partners have loads of cross-gen games?

The system itself isn't difficult at all either; it's more of a policy along with simple tech + marketing.

And in the end the quote in the article is pretty murky; for all we know Sony DOES have the same ability (to mark a SKU as cross-gen and allow the free download of either version on either console) and just haven't advertised it yet.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Lol all these people saying it's like cross buy while it's so much more...

Vawn

Banned
Because their 3rd party partners have loads of cross-gen games?

The system itself isn't difficult at all either; it's more of a policy along with simple tech + marketing.

And in the end the quote in the article is pretty murky; for all we know Sony DOES have the same ability (to mark a SKU as cross-gen and allow the free download of either version on either console) and just haven't advertised it yet.

Are you attracted to your avatar?

Damigos

It probably isn't a major bullet point, because it's not a high-volume feature. I don't think there is a huge market for cross-play/buy/whatever type of games. It's like game share. Forums will make a big deal out of it, but really it's the vocal minority. I doubt the vast majority of gamers even know about some of these ancillary features. They don't really move the needle, as far as console sales are concerned.
The backwards / forwards compatibility thing doesnt move the needle in general. Its always a “must have feature” but actually almost never gets used

Vawn

Banned
Lol all these people saying it's like cross buy while it's so much more...

This is one of those things most of the people using it for console war ammo will probably never use. How many games are you going to realistically want to play on both Xbox One AND Xbox Series?

Cross-buy and cross-save between a portable and a home console was a much bigger deal than this. Especially, when all these games are BC anyway.

It's a marketing stunt.

jaysius

Banned

Nintendo being PRO CONSUMER on even a simple thing?

These are the same people that say they don't like sales because it "devalues their products".

Last edited:

NeoGiffer

Kerching kerching kerching $$$

YwSDBJj.jpg

Grinchy

Banned
When Assassin's Creed has a next-gen enhancement patch for XSX, it downloads automatically. They call this smart delivery.

When Assassin's Creed has a next-gen enhancement patch for PS5, it downloads automatically. They call this nothing.

What is supposed to be so amazing that is missing?

When Assassin's Creed has a next-gen enhancement patch for XSX, it downloads automatically. They call this smart delivery.

When Assassin's Creed has a next-gen enhancement patch for PS5, it downloads automatically. They call this nothing.

Microsoft’s Smart Delivery is an initiative which means players “only have to purchase a title once in order to play the best available version for whichever Xbox console they choose to play on”.

Wil you only have to buy AC once on PS4 to be able to play the PS5 version? Or any crossgen PS4 game for that matter?

NickFire

MS is talking about SKU's and not just patches to backwards compatible games. So presumably, a game like Last of Us Remastered wouldn't have cost money to get the PS4 version if you had the PS3 version.

Grinchy

Banned
MS is talking about SKU's and not just patches to backwards compatible games. So presumably, a game like Last of Us Remastered wouldn't have cost money to get the PS4 version if you had the PS3 version.
Microsoft’s Smart Delivery is an initiative which means players “only have to purchase a title once in order to play the best available version for whichever Xbox console they choose to play on”.

Wil you only have to buy AC once on PS4 to be able to play the PS5 version? Or any crossgen PS4 game for that matter?
Right, but when it comes to 3rd party games, it's an enhancement patch that they have to willingly make. For a game like Assassin's Creed, they are just going to patch the last-gen version to run a little nicer. And they're not giving that away for free on XSX while charging for an "all-new PS5 version." They will both just be free patches.

If Sony decides to make a game like Ghost of Tsushima run at 4K/60 on PS5 via a patch, then yes, it'll download the patch automatically. It's not some magical process :messenger_tears_of_joy:

We don't know yet what games will get free enchancement patches and what games will wait a year or so to release "full next-gen versions." That stuff remains to be seen. The PS3 TLoU to PS4 conversion has literally nothing to do with this. That was 7 years ago and it was way more work to port the game than what we are seeing now with just simply running a last-gen game with higher settings because of the similar x86 architecture (afaik).

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
That's.. backwards compatability.

Why is this so hard for people to understand the difference? lol
They don't want to willful ignorance as they call it. A warrior can't admit fault with their system of choice. Even though everyone knows why Sony won't publicly endorse this. They love cheap easy remaster money it is scummy.

Right, but when it comes to 3rd party games, it's an enhancement patch that they have to willingly make. For a game like Assassin's Creed, they are just going to patch the last-gen version to run a little nicer.

Nah, that's not what it is. All the information is clearly laid out in the link.

NullZ3r0

Banned
Not sure about the Sony yet but it’s safe to assume first party games that launch on both like say Halo Infinity will utilize smart delivery. So buy Halo Infinity for the Xbox One S/X, if you pop it into the Series X console, you’ll get prompt to download the series X version.
No prompt. SD will automatically download assets for the console you're on.

Top Bottom