• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart |OT| Next-gen just got riveting....

Unknown?

Nah.

Platforming is where navigating an obstacle course is the central mechanic of the game. The game builds and builds the complexity of those mechanics - Mario, Yoshi, Astrobot, Crash.

If jumping is the sole criteria to be classified as a platformer then any game with a jump button is one.

Anyway, football’s on.
It's still platforming even if it isn't the central focus. I didn't say that classifies the game as a straight platforming game. Control is an action game that has some platforming in it.

Games can be primarily shooters with other elements. Just like all these open world action games with RPG elements. No one would say they are straight up RPGs but they have leveling and other things RPGs do.

240p more 15fps.

It's like a VHS quality Pixar movie!

But seriously I'm still waiting for a store to have stock available, then 60fps RT.

Not sure what the point of regular 60fps is.

Last edited:

Sounds like it's going to do well.

Waynes World Yes GIF

Maybe now people will accept that Returnal underperformed? Ratchet is the best game on the PS5.

I would like to see what their expectations for Returnal was though. It's definitely possible that they made a profit off it. As for Ratchet well the 2016 one didn't do badly so I wasn't expecting this one to have any issues.

Varteras

Gold Member
Maybe now people will accept that Returnal underperformed? Ratchet is the best game on the PS5.
The problem there will always be Sony making it seem like they were happy with sales. Unless we know what the cost of the game was, the expectations, and its actual sales, especially versus what other games sold which could be substantial (several millions), we'll never be able to draw a conclusion.

The problem there will always be Sony making it seem like they were happy with sales. Unless we know what the cost of the game was, the expectations, and its actual sales, especially versus what other games sold which could be substantial (several millions), we'll never be able to draw a conclusion.

Well we knew that Housemarque wasn't happy with Nex Machina sales.

Maybe they will make a statement on Returnal if it didn't meet their expectations.

But without anyone saying anything about it it's hard to come to a conclusion. I remember many successful titles didn't get sales figures from their publishers. It could be the case with this game.

still pushing this nonsense? underperformed by xbox standards, oh, you have no standards.

I believe each publisher is going to have different expectations for sales based on their install base and their spending habits. What might be considered successful for Microsoft might be different than for Sony. That's something I haven't thought of before until you made that comment.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Well we knew that Housemarque wasn't happy with Nex Machina sales.

Maybe they will make a statement on Returnal if it didn't meet their expectations.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say based on how Housemarque's games sold previously the expectations for both them and Sony were already low. If that game sold even a million copies they're probably very happy. Hell it took Bloodborne half a year to sell 2 million copies. We all know how celebrated that game is. PC gamers are salivating over a possible PC release. That's from a well known studio with a popular formula.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say based on how Housemarque's games sold previously the expectations for both them and Sony were already low. If that game sold even a million copies they're probably very happy. Hell it took Bloodborne half a year to sell 2 million copies. We all know how celebrated that game is. PC gamers are salivating over a possible PC release. That's from a well known studio with a popular formula.

I believe if they only thought they would sell a million then they probably planned their budget around that amount of revenue. Can't see them hurting too badly unless the game was a colossal failure.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
shouldn't it select itself?
Maybe enable headset before launching the game

Not sure. It should be something miner, maybe it's a profile suited more to the default profile of the Pulse 3D. Tried them both back in forth and couldn't tell the difference, maybe they should include sound in the menu that makes you understand the difference.

Varteras

Gold Member
I believe if they only thought they would sell a million then they probably planned their budget around that amount of revenue. Can't see them hurting too badly unless the game was a colossal failure.
It's certainly not one of their top selling IP but I think we can both agree it didn't need to be. It was Housemarque's first attempt at a big(ger) budget game. I think the bigger story here that should be focused on is not how Returnal did but the fact we just got told that a Ratchet & Clank game matched initial sales of a Monster Hunter and Pokemon title from a platform that has over 80 million units in homes.

Blond

Banned
I tried but thank goodness for GameStop guaranteed to love it policy cause damn this is like every ratchet game in the past 20 years. Love the use of the haptics, though, like REALLY impressed to the point the way the triggers react to the weapons should be the standard going forward.

But returning for the 60 dollar credit and use it for other games.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I want to note one thing I've not seen mentioned.
When You enter club Nefarious, the way you can feel the low bass beat in the controller is kinda crazy. It's not just strong vibration... it feels like deep vibration :p
The effect is really cool. I was standing there for minutes.

HotPocket69

Banned
The second half of this game environment wise is pretty fucking cool

That undersea base was 👌🏼

Also that sniper rifle 😃 Reminds me straight up of something out of Resistance. Same with the Void Reactor.

Last edited:

iHaunter

16 hours in and I'm BLOWN away my god.

It's still a new IP from a not well known studio. They've only done small games, the studio is not huge as well. I think it performed well overall. Obviously could've done better.

Last edited:

Chiggs

I feel like a moron. I was about ready to post my complaints about this game's visuals in Performance RT mode, but then discovered there's a bug with TVs that can do 120hz.

Disabling that feature has made this game just a joy to behold.

Entroyp

I feel like a moron. I was about ready to post my complaints about this game's visuals in Performance RT mode, but then discovered there's a bug with TVs that can do 120hz.

How did you disable 120hz?

All right...started playing today and I'm in awe.....the generation started with this game when it comes to graphical quality. What I just don't understand is why Rift Apart RT Performance mode seems crisper in my TV me than 2016's Ratchet on the PS4 Pro???

That game on the Pro runs at 1800p but it's image feels softer than Rift Apart's RT mode which has a much lower native resolution....

JeloSWE

Perhaps, I've played both and Returnal's game play is leagues more fun and addictive than R&C. I still like R&C a lot but I think Returnal's middle aged protagonist and the rogue lite aspects isn't as appealing to the mainstream market as a long running beloved series. I for one is hoping Housemarque will get to do follow-up on this amazing game. To me DS and Returnal are currently the two best PS5 exclusives from my personal enjoyment.

JeloSWE

Yea it's a major screw up on Insomniac and Sony's part, I played through half the game, made a post complaining about RT looking blurry and then DF recommended turning 120Hz off due to the setting making many TV's switch to 1080p and bam, look at there beautiful graphics. LOL

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I am about 2 hours in and like it much more than 2016 so far.
It is a little pxiary and safe with the jokes but it feels so much better than 2016 movie tie in game so far.
The story lady and weapons videos are kinda horrible and annoying but good otherwise. Rivet is ok too.

I am also surprised how good the 30fps is. I am playing on oled on my desk so I wanted to appreciate full 4k and I got used to 30fps quickly.
Demons souls felt much more sluggish in 30fps for sure.

Entroyp

I am about 2 hours in and like it much more than 2016 so far.
It is a little pxiary and safe with the jokes but it feels so much better than 2016 movie tie in game so far.
The story lady and weapons videos are kinda horrible and annoying but good otherwise. Rivet is ok too.

I am also surprised how good the 30fps is. I am playing on oled on my desk so I wanted to appreciate full 4k and I got used to 30fps quickly.
Demons souls felt much more sluggish in 30fps for sure.
Not only Demon’s Souls, but Spider-Man, FFVIIR Intergrade, GoT, TLoU 2, and many others feel sluggish at 30fps on my LG CX. I don’t know why this game doesn’t and it’s cool as hell.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

what is the bug with 120hz mode ?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Not only Demon’s Souls, but Spider-Man, FFVIIR Intergrade, GoT, TLoU 2, and many others feel sluggish at 30fps on my LG CX. I don’t know why this game doesn’t and it’s cool as hell.
Bloodborne also feels excellent and fast despite being only 30fps. No idea wat those games do

JeloSWE

what is the bug with 120hz mode ?
If 120Hz option is enabled in the PS5 settings then for some reason R&C triggers/forces 120Hz output in Performance RT mode. The PS5 will then output the image at a resolution your TV supports at 120Hz, which for many are 1080p as most TV's doesn't support 4K120Hz and PS5 can't output 1440p either.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
If 120Hz option is enabled in the PS5 settings then for some reason R&C triggers/forces 120Hz output in Performance RT mode. The PS5 will then output the image at a resolution your TV supports at 120Hz, which for many are 1080p as most TV's doesn't support 4K120Hz and PS5 can't output 1440p either.
I have lg oled so I think 120hz would switch to 422 colors since ps5 cant do 4k120hz full rgb. thanks or the info

buenoblue

Bin playing performance rt since yesterday, got a few worlds in and thout yeah the game looks great. Really nice looking but maybe my PC is just as good looking.

Then earlier thought I'd try the performance mode. HOLY SHIT. the resolution and effects bumb make this hands down the best looking game I've ever played. By far. The detail in every obect and character is nuts. It looks better than any cgi movie I've seen I swear. I've turned off dof as it blurs everything but kept all other settings on. This is truly a next gen wow moment, insomniac are gods.

So yeah try the performance mode. For me the sacrifices in performance rt are no where near worth it.

Last edited:
It's still platforming even if it isn't the central focus. I didn't say that classifies the game as a straight platforming game. Control is an action game that has some platforming in it.

Games can be primarily shooters with other elements. Just like all these open world action games with RPG elements. No one would say they are straight up RPGs but they have leveling and other things RPGs do.
To me this fits like a glove into the platforming genre. The guns are just the twist. It’s doesn’t fit well into a third person shooter genre. The setting, characters, story and much of the gameplay are based on previous platformers. Jak and Daxter is another one.

Top Bottom