• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart |OT| Next-gen just got riveting....

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Doing my challenge mode performance RT and the downgrade is noticeable. Fidelity mode looks truly next gen, something special. Performance RT looks like a really well polished PS4 Pro game IMO. Still great obviously, but fidelity is really where this game shines.

MaKTaiL

I hope they do not abandon the dimensionator for the next game. They could use it for Ratchet to fast travel to different worlds instead of travelling with a ship. I can think of many different puzzle opportunities too (kind of like a portal gun).

Last edited:
Having some real issues with my PS5 now (despite that guy earlier saying I made it up :messenger_tears_of_joy:) - just did a factory reset and it seems to have made it worse. I’m getting graphical corruption (white pixels flashing on the screen) and all of the store and library images are just white boxes with question marks. Any ideas? Do I need to send it in for repair?

makaveli60

Can someone explain how is it that this game looks so much crisper than anything else, even at the same 4k resolution? What do they do? Or what do other developers do that their games are not this crisp, even though they are at the same resolution?

buenoblue

I've encountered a bug. Changing performance mode to performance rt then back to performance mode rt seems to keep the lower resolution and settings of perfermance rt in the standard performance mode.

Only fixed by closing and restarting the game.

This maybe why some people saying performance mode is not needed, even digital foundry, because the difference between performance mode and performance rt is immidiatly obvious to me, with standard performance mode looking substantially better.

Anyone care to try this to see if it's widespread.?

Interfectum

Doing my challenge mode performance RT and the downgrade is noticeable. Fidelity mode looks truly next gen, something special. Performance RT looks like a really well polished PS4 Pro game IMO. Still great obviously, but fidelity is really where this game shines.
I'm doing the best of both worlds. Watching / helping my 4 year old son play in fidelity mode while I play in performance RT mode. :messenger_beaming:

Hunnybun

The snowflake writing in this game is absolutely annoying. All new characters have low self esteem, trust issues or are anxious/depressive. I'm playing a puzzle level and all the background dialogue is how "you're so special and brave and lucky to have a friend", like everyone needs to be reminded all the time that they're so special and accepted.

I'm sorry but I just don't relate to this pathetic ultra sensitive and needy generation. That's why I tend to skip most new shows and movies.

It's pretty hard to take. Game development seems to be increasingly inundated with these humourless, narcissistic little puritans.

You wonder what they'll end up doing with Doom Guy lol. Or Doom Person, whatever.

makaveli60

It's pretty hard to take. Game development seems to be increasingly inundated with these humourless, narcissistic little puritans.

You wonder what they'll end up doing with Doom Guy lol. Or Doom Person, whatever.
They ridiculed this in Eternal, so I hope id stays strong as one of the last bastions but I don’t think they have much choice now that they are part of MS

makaveli60

It's their AA. Native 4k is great but you still need TAA to make it look clean.
So if I’m understanding it right, R&C looks crisper than other 4k games because Insomniac‘s TAA solution keeps the clarity while other developers’ solutions blur somewhat the image, right?

dano1

A Sheep
Fidelity mode seems really smooth to me! My tv has variable refresh rate. So maybe that’s why it seems fine. Playing how the developer designed the game. All the bells and whistles!!

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So if I’m understanding it right, R&C looks crisper than other 4k games because Insomniac‘s TAA solution keeps the clarity while other developers’ solutions blur somewhat the image, right?
Yes. Some PC games use TAA as well. It's just a better AA solution. it's like how MSAA was better than FSAA. I think TAA can actually be enabled on the hardware level on Nvidia GPUs.

RE3 looks insane on PC. Very clean.

residentevil3remakesck1k0p.png

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Fidelity mode seems really smooth to me! My tv has variable refresh rate. So maybe that’s why it seems fine. Playing how the developer designed the game. All the bells and whistles!!
VRR only kicks in if the framerate drops below 30 fps which it never does in Ratchet. Even then, the PS5 currently doesnt support VRR and we dont even know if it will support vrr in the range of 45-60 fps or full vrr that eliminates dips even at 30 fps.

Fidelity mode seems smooth to you because there are literally no drops. Ever. DF found a total of 1 drop in a cutscene. thats it.

The reason why people think it isnt smooth is because they are switching back and forth between 60 fps and thats just a recipe for disaster. If you stick with 30 fps for longer than 30 minutes your eyes will get used to it, but everyone switches every two minutes and thats just not enough time to get used to half the refresh rate.

Yes. Some PC games use TAA as well. It's just a better AA solution. it's like how MSAA was better than FSAA. I think TAA can actually be enabled on the hardware level on Nvidia GPUs.

I only wish they did as good as a job with RE3 as RE2. It's a shame they cut so much content out of it. Might be worth buying it with a deep discount though.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
It's appropriate writing for the wide target audience.

Let me explaing: as an adult I agree with you, and the writing is really snowflake. But then I look at my kids. I do not agree with how I was brought up (I love my parents, and recognize they have done the best they could with what they had) and I do want to make sure that they get positive reinforcement, that life is difficult, it isn't perfect, and you fail more often than not. I LOVE to play in front of them, die, and laugh it off. It isn't a big deal, you regroup and retry.

So I do get what you say, but this game is for kids as well, and I believe that kids needs that kind of writing.

We've all seen what happens when you treat kids as precious snow flakes: you create young adults who need trigger warnings, safe spaces and who feel unsfafe when there's someone on the university grounds who has a different opinion than they about sexuality and gender.

I love the new R&C game play but the character writing is the worst in the series. I hated that eternally whining yellow robot with a passion.

buenoblue

Help please. I've completed the game and pressed square to start challenge mode, changed to renegade legend difficulty but I've played for over an hour and my weapons and stuff haven't unlocked. What's going on?

Stooky

We've all seen what happens when you treat kids as precious snow flakes: you create young adults who need trigger warnings, safe spaces and who feel unsfafe when there's someone on the university grounds who has a different opinion than they about sexuality and gender.

I love the new R&C game play but the character writing is the worst in the series. I hated that eternally whining yellow robot with a passion.
Gezz Its kids game relax, it has a positive message just like almost every cartoon since the 80's. I guess you cant make a kids game with positive message without some adult screaming snowflake. You guys complain about snowflakes but you cry about this crap just as much

makaveli60

Yeah, I know what TAA is (at least on a basic level), a lot of games use it nowadays, it’s just that I couldn’t understand why is it that compared to R&C other 4k games look like much lower resolution. But it seems Insomniac’s solution is so good that it just doesn’t blur the image at all yet still gets rid of the jaggies. If once we leave this crossgen period behind things will be insane if this is how a first gen game can look...

sainraja

I only wish they did as good as a job with RE3 as RE2. It's a shame they cut so much content out of it. Might be worth buying it with a deep discount though.
RE3 is still a good game to play through. It is a shame that they cut content out but that doesn't make the game they released worse because of it (at-least in my opinion.)

anothertech

Now this is one beautiful OT. Looking forward to playing this one right away when I get a PS5.
Still hunting for a PS5 but this and Demon Souls are definitely day one buys.
Man I feel bad for you guys that haven't snagged one yet. Dam.

The loading time on last gen games and most of the cross gen stuff alone is a game changer for me.

Excited and hopeful for you guys to try it some day lol

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Just picked up a 55" HIsense HG9. The picture in fidelity mode in hdr on this set and this game is just insane.

Last edited:

JeloSWE

Help please. I've completed the game and pressed square to start challenge mode, changed to renegade legend difficulty but I've played for over an hour and my weapons and stuff haven't unlocked. What's going on?
No idea, I had all my weapons from the previous run available right away.

You're not playing on Challenge Mode. Challenge Mode automatically increases the difficulty, so by changing it yourself you're just doing a fresh run.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I posted in other topic but I kinda love the game aside from pixar style wholesomeness. (would like mor edginess)
it is so much better than 2016 game.
And the pulse 3d sounds AMAZING

buenoblue

You're not playing on Challenge Mode. Challenge Mode automatically increases the difficulty, so by changing it yourself you're just doing a fresh run.

Yeah after reading up If you change any option while creating challenge mode it doesn't kick in. Seems like a bug cause even changing the performance mode causes it. You can change these options once the game has started though, just wish I hadn't wasted a couple of hours slogging through on hard lol.

Last edited:
Yeah after reading up If you change any option while creating challenge mode it doesn't kick in. Seems like a bug cause even changing the performance mode causes it. You can change these options once the game has started though, just wish I hadn't wasted a couple of hours slogging through on hard lol. X
Yep. I did the exact same thing as you earlier today.

One thing I'm really glad about is the soundtrack. 2016 was so forgettable and bland save for a couple of decent tunes. Rift Apart sounds a lot better. I loved the Nefarious credits theme too.

Interfectum

I posted in other topic but I kinda love the game aside from pixar style wholesomeness. (would like mor edginess)
it is so much better than 2016 game.
And the pulse 3d sounds AMAZING
As someone who loves horror movies and edge I kinda love how this game goes all in on the Pixar style. I really do adore Rivet and I didn't think I would. She's a really good character.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
As someone who loves horror movies and edge I kinda love how this game goes all in on the Pixar style. I really do adore Rivet and I didn't think I would. She's a really good character.
She is great but SOMEONE in the game could be edgy to have some difference

HotPocket69

Banned
The game is way more Nickelodeon than Pixar with it’s writing. And it’s way more Pixar than Nickelodeon with the production.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I'm at 78% and collecting most stuff as I go, think I'm near the end. So far it's been great, sometimes I get a serious starfox adventures vibe between the visuals/levels and the music. Also a serious hint of Nintendo like polish, in a good way.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
traded in assassins valhalla and mario origami rpg won;t play those games ever again.
got his game..

in no fucking way is this game worth 80
but holy shit i can't stop smiling when i play this.
It really looks amazing. And full with dope action.
Interactive pixar movie.
(if rare would still be around and not sheit, this would be what i imagined rare games to be like in 2021)

Gameplay is rather meh. But it's enough, When you start trying to get out of bounds the glitches will start coming and the game feels less polished.
(like please walk on the path don't snoop around)

But still a title you kinda want when you have a ps5. Because this pushes the damn hardware FINALLY.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
traded in assassins valhalla and mario origami rpg won;t play those games ever again.
got his game..

in no fucking way is this game worth 80
but holy shit i can't stop smiling when i play this.
It really looks amazing. And full with dope action.
Interactive pixar movie.
(if rare would still be around and not sheit, this would be what i imagined rare games to be like in 2021)

Gameplay is rather meh. But it's enough, When you start trying to get out of bounds glitches start coming and the game feels less polished.
(like please walk on the path don't snoop around)

But still a title you kinda want when you have a ps5. Because this pushes the damn hardware FINALLY.

Fidelity or Performance RT doe?

Top Bottom