• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart Day 1 Patch Adds Performance and Performance RT Modes

Lethal01

Performance RT should be an option on EVERY game this gen that is utilizing the technology IMO. I want the eye candy AND the smoother frame rate. I'm willing to make some sacrifices to enjoy that experience on console.
What about a game running 1080p with the actual visuals maxed out.
We going 540p 60?

Kuranghi

I hope the next step for consoles having perf and fidelity modes is having an RT on/off button and a 30hz cap/unlocked option, so if you want you can turn off RT and cap to 30hz which allows the game to not drop down as low (or at all) from its max DRS target.

Obviously make it so you can't goose it up, but if people prefer an unstable/unlocked framerate + RT instead of a 30fps cap or a higher resolution @ 30fps without RT they should be able to get it. Perf RT mode covers one side of that, but not the other, ie pure image quality but without RT.

RT reflections that are lower resolution is like low resolution/artifacting SSR or for me, I'd rather replace it with older style/simpler reflections that are more temporally stable, especially when I'm playing at really high resolution where the artifacting/aliasing is very noticeable. RE2R is a good example, the reflections are great but they are also really unstable and its really distracting when the rest of the image is totally clean.

I'll be more into RT when its much closer to 1:1 with the rendering res, or at least until denoising/whatever they do makes it as indistinguishable from native as most sub-native shaders/effects are in games right now. Until then I prefer putting the power into RT GI and Shadows or just higher rendering resolution over reflections.

If the image quality was actually like the twitter video encode here, but locked 60 fps and the 30 fps mode looked like the released official gameplay, would you still play in 60 fps mode?

So for example, the 60fps is in 480p with Insomniac's TAAU and the 30fps mode is in whatever res the official video was in. I'm trying figure out where the crossing over point is where the IQ is compromised enough that the extra frames isn't worth it in your eyes.

Give me an empathy eyeball for 30 fps mode and a love-heart for 60 fps mode. Or just reply to this comment but reaction asking was to avoid crapping up the thread.
If it’s 480p bro yes I’d choose 30fps lol.

Not because it’s 480p but because it’s high high detail plus 480p.

It’s a different story if it’s Metroid prime at 480p60 vs 4K30 lol

gamer82

Looked good but twitter has ruined that video quality, they should have uploaded it elsewhere. So now games gold Spiderman 2 maybe next on the list. when do we think ? 2021(pushing it ) or 2022 .

Kholinar

Banned
Looked good but twitter has ruined that video quality, they should have uploaded it elsewhere. So now games gold Spiderman 2 maybe next on the list. when do we think ? 2021(pushing it ) or 2022 .
definitely 2022 if they're still using manhattan as the main map for free roam. all other systems like combat and whatnot are basically finished so no reason why it cant hit that target,

99Luffy

Banned
Man those scene transitions wow.
I bet theres at least 10 AAA games in development right now with 'warping' as the main game mechanic.

[Sigma]

2023 at the earliest. 2024 more likely imo.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

It will be interesting to see the differences between performance and quality mode.
Something like this I think.

Fidelity - 30FPS, Native 4K and Ray Tracing

Performance - 60fps, Temporal 4K, No Ray Tracing

Performance RT - 60fps, 1080p, Ray Tracing, lower pedestrian and reflection quality.

Spider-man Miles Morales / Spider-man Remastered

All 3 modes use same dynamic 4K resolution with temporal injection upres.

30 Hz = mostly 2160p + full RT
60 Hz = ranged from 2160p to 1440p, averaged 1600p (but no RT)
60 Hz RT = ranged from 1800p to 1080p, averaged 1440p + some RT - some settings

Md Ray

I take it everyone is excited to this game?
Dj Khaled Dance GIF

JeloSWE

I hope the next step for consoles having perf and fidelity modes is having an RT on/off button and a 30hz cap/unlocked option, so if you want you can turn off RT and cap to 30hz which allows the game to not drop down as low (or at all) from its max DRS target.

Obviously make it so you can't goose it up, but if people prefer an unstable/unlocked framerate + RT instead of a 30fps cap or a higher resolution @ 30fps without RT they should be able to get it. Perf RT mode covers one side of that, but not the other, ie pure image quality but without RT.

RT reflections that are lower resolution is like low resolution/artifacting SSR or for me, I'd rather replace it with older style/simpler reflections that are more temporally stable, especially when I'm playing at really high resolution where the artifacting/aliasing is very noticeable. RE2R is a good example, the reflections are great but they are also really unstable and its really distracting when the rest of the image is totally clean.

I'll be more into RT when its much closer to 1:1 with the rendering res, or at least until denoising/whatever they do makes it as indistinguishable from native as most sub-native shaders/effects are in games right now. Until then I prefer putting the power into RT GI and Shadows or just higher rendering resolution over reflections.
Honestly, I just want games to be designed to max out at 60fps. If they targeted that only, they would make smart design choices and build the games to look stunning around it any way.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
They are the benchmark right now for GFX options on console, Insomniac are really something else. At this point nobody can complain, you want 60fps mode here you go, you want all the bells and whistles at 4K here you go, you want both at reasonable resolution here you go. They deserve all the praise well done!

CamHostage

I do have to question how much literal on rails gameplay they use to show off this game.

It makes sense that they'd use it for game design. Rails in Ratchet are a precise sequence of events where the character moves at a specific pace no matter the player input, so they don't have to worry about too many other factors when swapping worlds in and our. They know when you're about to come upon the purple gem that you're about to switch (unless you fail), they know how fast you will be moving and in which direction both in and out of a rift, and they know exactly where in the world you will appear when you swap in. Similarly, they're doing world-rifts with animals you ride, or sliding down an embanked building, things of that nature.

It will not be on "on rails" all the time, of course, but for the big world-rift sequences, probably there will be limitations like this in how they're used. Ratchet has transitioned in world-rifts from gameplay sequences (when you go from flying on a dragon to landing on a pirate ship, for example.) All the purple world-rifts play transitions they've shown (sliding on a rail, riding an animal, flying through a city, falling down a building, landing in a miniboss-type battle arena) have been specifically designed to work from rift to rift, to be exciting but also so you don't get lost or stuck somewhere you can't play.) This particular sequence for example uses the world-rifts as a puzzle, and you can only get through the stage by taking the right rails in the right version of the world.

Ultimately, it'd be highly unlikely that the purple world-rifts will have much randomness to them. They probably will connect the same two worlds every time you play that section and go through that placed rift (although it's possible that they could cleverly stitch together certain types of rifts, so if you're flying in one world, you won't be close to the ground when you come out to the next, you'll have a similar mechanic to transition to or you will have that "Whoooaaa..." tumbling-Ratchet shown when he goes into the purple void,) and there almost certainly won't be a "World Rift Gun" where you just rip purple rifts wherever you want in the game and switch levels on a whim. Maybe for the sequel, this is a big enough project just having levels that do this.

That said... I'm a little disappointed that the rift-crystals here pause the game when you transition. I would hope that Rivet would carry momentum from rift to rift in a sequence like this. That could be a technical problem if the loading wasn't totally perfect (unless they extended the fade-to-white/purple and the character just fake-grinded on imaginary rails / flipped up in the air until the level appeared,) but it's way more cool if it's a truly seamless (or mostly-seamless) swap in gameplay. Pausing feels like a cheat. Even the particles stop existing when you world-rift. Tiny, tiny, tiny nitpick though.

I used the Performance modes in the two Spider-Man games, I was never really keen on the Performance RT modes as they thinned out the pedestrians and vehicles in the city far too much fior my liking. I would use the Ray Tracing 30fps modes for the occassional "Wow, look at that" moments but ganeplay was far better at 60fps for me.
I would expect it'll be the same for me in this, Horizon and and more than likely every other game too but I'll obviously try what's available first and go with whatever I'm happiest with.
I am really glad that they're giving people a choice though and I did feel that in the Spider-Man games they were a well balanced set of modes and hopefully everybody found on that they were happy with.

That said... I'm a little disappointed that the rift-crystals here pause the game when you transition. I would hope that Rivet would carry momentum from rift to rift in a sequence like this. That could be a technical problem if the loading wasn't totally perfect (unless they extended the fade-to-white/purple and the character just fake-grinded on imaginary rails / flipped up in the air until the level appeared,) but it's way more cool if it's a truly seamless (or mostly-seamless) swap in gameplay. Pausing feels like a cheat. Even the particles stop existing when you world-rift. Tiny, tiny, tiny nitpick though.

Talk about this with the devs on Twitter (or other forum), maybe they'll "fix" this.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think what Ratchet is doing is more impressive because it isn't running two instances of the world at once. With R@C it's pure I/O power that's making it happen.
Not taking anything away from The Medium, but it’s essentially just spit screen, hence why it works on HDDs. But early on when people tried to say it’s the same thing as R&C, nah bruh.

Last edited:
Top Bottom