• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart I New Extended Gamescom Gameplay Demo

iconmaster

Banned
The image quality is what really screams next gen to me. Even a capture from the Youtube video looks very good.

Yeah, it's nuts.

pl5wYYD.jpg

MastaKiiLA

They fixed the shadow on the pirate ship from the PS event. The transition to the rail scene seems to have different lighting. It's definitely a different run-through of the same sequence shown in the first demo. However, this is extended, and probably shows some other optimizations I missed. It's R&C. Looks dope for fans of the franchise, like myself.

Kuranghi

I don't know if anyone else noticed but the wanted posters (I think thats what they are anyway) with alien language on them seem to give a hint at the appearance of Clank's female version in the trailer (Not sure if it was in the first trailer too).

Look at 6:58 and onwards to see the wanted posters. Orange for female ratchet and I think the red one could be lady-Clank, as it has an antenna.

Kokoloko85

Was no different to the reveal trailer really, was hoping for something new. But looked great.

RnC has been 30fps for awhile so i doubt that would change. And defo looks way more improved over PS4 pro RnC.
Looks. Details. Lighting/ Alot more going on in background, NPc and effects. World jumping

And its a sequel to Nexus on PS3 :)

Last edited:

T-Barbs

You mean this? It's the original trailer BTW not the Gamescom demo.

dsgEHx2.gif

Look very carefully at the reflections.
In general all of the portals now seem to warp Ratchet in a smoother way compared to the original trailer.

Ah, maybe you are right, in this one is the lag while loading the reflections to give the impression of a small slow down.

Nameless

Reindeer

There were rumours that this game started life on PS4 and then moved to PS5, that means that Insomniac can still Crank up visuals even more for next title. I think their next Ratchet game could look even better once it's designed for PS5 from ground up. This looks impressive, but I'm not blown away.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eliciel

I think there hasn't ever been a First Game in New Console Release looking so Clean straight Out the Gate. It really looks very good even for YouTube on a 65"4K OLED Screen and I would immediately Play it.

However, for my Personal Taste, there is a Lot more space to Cover to really make it "Next Gen" for me and being what Tlou2 was for PS4Pro this Gen in Terms of graphical Fidelity.

Last edited:
Funny, games like astral chain on switch are dogged for smooth 30fps on a tegra1, but this is cool? ;)

Gotta say it looks like a lot of fun...Insomniac is great. Lots of stuff going on everywhere, and it DOES look smooth.

Leaning towards PS5 unless it's stupid expensive or unavailable.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Uh yeah, none of this is true. Between all of the weapon upgrades and the skill (platforming, combat) it takes to actually finish the game, it is HARDLY a "learn to use dual sticks" game.

Where do you come up with this stuff? It's bordering on straight up lying to try and force a narrative. The Ratchet games take skill and are great fun to play. This game is going to very popular.

You're right, there is some weapon variety, but the games are very easy and don't require much thought from the player. It's essentially "Press up on left joystick until you trigger 10 enemies that pop out, shoot them all, press up on left joystick until you trigger 6 enemies that pop out...rinse and repeat."

It's definitely a game made for the ADD child. They jingle crap in your face every few seconds so you don't get bored.

Sorry, Ratchet and Clank was a B tier franchise on the PS2/PS3. It's just a more stale B tier franchise today. I'd still get it if I had some 7-10 year old kids.

See MS is catering too much to the internet forum crowd talking about framerate all of the time when most people want next gen for upgraded visuals and game design. Yes framerates are important but most games play just fine at 30fps and if you give MOST people the option they'd rather have better graphics at a locked 30 than going for 60fps or 120fps (total waste there) with less impressive graphics.

Obviously fighting games, racing games and competitive online shooters should be 60fps but most 3rd person action games, open world etc are just fine at 30fps as long as it's locked. The best of both worlds is giving people the option for fidelity or performance when available but that's more work than just flipping a switch so it depends on what devs have the time and money to do.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Phil cancelled their contracts and got Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes to carry the torch instead.

Eh, I'm just not impressed with visuals. All I care about in terms of games are interesting gameplay mechanics. Rift Apart looks to be...more Ratchet...but I've never been impressed with the franchise and there's no reason to be now.

I mean...how long can you look at this?

DelectableCoolAntlion-size_restricted.gif

GHG

Eh, I'm just not impressed with visuals. All I care about in terms of games are interesting gameplay mechanics. Rift Apart looks to be...more Ratchet...but I've never been impressed with the franchise and there's no reason to be now.

I mean...how long can you look at this?

DelectableCoolAntlion-size_restricted.gif

Mate you shill for Fortnite but yet you're here complaining about this game being made for an ADD child?

Give it a rest.

Top Bottom