• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, all Bloodborne players who haven't played Souls before, how's it going?

And sometimes your luck with bosses depends on the attacks they decide to throw out. Positioning can help with that, but sometimes a boss spams their ass-beating attacks / abilities, and other times only use them once.

Like I'm not sure VA even healed once for me.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Everyone has their kryptonite. Things that some find easy will wreck others.

Yeah, true. One thing that helped me a lot with the BSB compared to FG was the predictable layout of the boss's room. It was easy to dodge backwards behind a pillar and use that cover to heal yourself. Conversely, the random layout of FG's area made it very easy to get stuck in some grave stones when looking for cover to heal yourself. I killed FG when I ignored my health bar and just dodged aggressively into his beast form.

Guess that makes me a more defensive player with bosses so far.

Melchiah

Of course, but making blanket statements like "the game doesn't respect your time" or "is designed to kill you as much as possible" is not really true, especially since that's no longer the case once the game clicks for you. Hell, I'm not even that good at the game and yesterday I beat NG+ in little over two and a half hours, dying probably 10 times total.

Agreed. I don't consider myself that skilled played either, yet I managed to beat the Defiled chalice just recently. It took me over four months to get to that point. It definitely takes a certain sense of perseverance to complete the game, let alone the dungeons, which some might just lack.

NG+ in 2½ hours is pretty o_O

Manu

Agreed. I don't consider myself that skilled played either, yet I managed to beat the Defiled chalice just recently. It took me over four months to get to that point. It definitely takes a certain sense of perseverance to complete the game, let alone the dungeons, which some might just lack.

NG+ in 2½ hours is pretty o_O

It was pretty easy since I was overleveled from the Chalice Dungeons.

Started the game. Ran all the way to Gascoigne using the shorcut, skipping Cleric Beast. Killed on two tries.
Ran to Vicar Amelia, making sure to open all the gates in the church. Killed on one try.
Ran through Forbidden Woods, picked up the Cannon I missed on NG, opened the shortcut before boss, killed the Shadows. Took me three tries.
Ran through Byrgenworth. Killed the Hunter. Killed Rom, one try.
Ran through Yahar'Gul, killed The One Reborn, one try.
Ran through Lecture Hall, went directly to Nightmare of Mensis, skipped Frontier. Activated elevator. Killed Micolash (took me 4 tries since I kept getting one-shot by A Call Beyond, hardest boss for me in NG+, lol), activated elevator ran to Wet Nurse, killed on one try.
Went to Hunter's Dream, spoke to Gehrman, submitted my life. Done.

Marjorine

I simply cannot beat the part with the three hooded guys that turn into snakes. Ive tried it with other people and they always seem to die right away leading me to think I am doing something wrong.

I am about to give up on the game.

That was a hard boss for me, too. I am not too good to Google a strat with a hard boss, and I saw strategies that suggested bringing their health all down gradually as a group, but that just led to me dying. I can see the benefits if you can pull that off, but I just couldn't.

Here is what I did:
I went for the guy who shoots the fire projectiles first, and spent a lot of time ducking in and out behind the pillars (or are they trees? I don't remember) to heal and create distance. I concentrated on him but would take one or two swipes at the others if it was safe. Once the fireball guy died I went at whichever one of the two that were left that had less health. When the snakes started coming out of the ground and things got cray cray I just dodged like crazy and got in shots when I could.

That was that with that. That boss took me more tries than any other. But it basically came down to patience and not taking that extra swing that depletes your stamina and leaves you wide open. I find this is the case with 90% of the boss fights in that game.

I'm no expert, but that's what I did. Don't quit. That was easily my hardest boss fight. After that I don't think I died more than 3 or 4 times to a boss. And I SUCK.

Insight traps are the biggest bullshit in the game. "Here's a thing that will kill you that you can't see and can't avoid, have fun!"

Stupid. A really dumb mechanic.

YMMV on some bosses. I heard that the fire dog in the chalice rooms was supposed to be a major stopping block and I beat it first try.

Amelia only took me two tries. The Witch took me one.

Which firedog? The first meeting isn't a big deal. The second is tough.

Mesoian

Are you talking about Cathedral Ward or the entry to the Unseen Village? Either way, if it's what I think you're talking about then you can see it with enough Insight before a certain point in the game, and permanently thereafter; it makes sense from lore standpoint why you can't initially. You also can totally dodge it.

I found most enemies and mechanics that induce Frenzy to be initially more confounding, but I'd just get around it with more resistance via runes and armor.

When it happened in Cathedral ward, it was funny because I didn't know what was going on.

When It happened in that place to the right of the grand cathedral, it was fucking bullshit because it's super far from a lantern and is riddled with traps and pitfalls. Also blaming lore for shitty design is a copout. All of that shit sucks. It makes you not want to explore because "who knows if there's going to be another bullshit trap that I can't avoid there, better play it safe and ignore the rest of the world!"

Frenzy is annoying but, like you said, better armor/runes it's just something you have to watch out for, and it's fine because you can see it coming.

Insight traps are the single biggest misstep of Bloodborne. It shouldn't be in the game. It is the trollface of the game, "It's not bad design, it's a gag! DEAL WITH IT!" Fuck that.

Manu

When it happened in Cathedral ward, it was funny because I didn't know what was going on.

When It happened in that place to the right of the grand cathedral, it was fucking bullshit because it's super far from a lantern and is riddled with traps and pitfalls. Also blaming lore for shitty design is a copout. All of that shit sucks. It makes you not want to explore because "who knows if there's going to be another bullshit trap that I can't avoid there, better play it safe and ignore the rest of the world!"

Frenzy is annoying but, like you said, better armor/runes it's just something you have to watch out for, and it's fine because you can see it coming.

Insight traps are the single biggest misstep of Bloodborne. It shouldn't be in the game. It is the trollface of the game, "It's not bad design, it's a gag! DEAL WITH IT!" Fuck that.

But they're not unavoidable. You actually have to stay still for a few seconds while the aura envelopes you.

Mesoian

But they're not unavoidable. You actually have to stay still for a few seconds while the aura envelopes you.

I tried rolling away from it went I went to collect my blood, that big thing still grabbed me.

Avoidable or not, they're stupid and they shouldn't be in the game.

Edit: The thing that makes it tragic is that it's such a turgid "Fuck you" after a second that's both really challenging and really fun with the two player character style enemies, the wall of sentries that you can take out by sneaking behind them and the Bagman that you can knock off the cliff which is really satisfying. It's this wonderful wonderful build that is capped off with, quite literally, "LOL TROLL'D YOU! HAHA! DO IT AGAIN IDIOT!" That shit sucks, it's such a sour note on an otherwise really cool and fun section of the game.

Melchiah

It was pretty easy since I was overleveled from the Chalice Dungeons.

Started the game. Ran all the way to Gascoigne using the shorcut, skipping Cleric Beast. Killed on two tries.
Ran to Vicar Amelia, making sure to open all the gates in the church. Killed on one try.
Ran through Forbidden Woods, picked up the Cannon I missed on NG, opened the shortcut before boss, killed the Shadows. Took me three tries.
Ran through Byrgenworth. Killed the Hunter. Killed Rom, one try.
Ran through Yahar'Gul, killed The One Reborn, one try.
Ran through Lecture Hall, went directly to Nightmare of Mensis, skipped Frontier. Activated elevator. Killed Micolash (took me 4 tries since I kept getting one-shot by A Call Beyond, hardest boss for me in NG+, lol), activated elevator ran to Wet Nurse, killed on one try.
Went to Hunter's Dream, spoke to Gehrman, submitted my life. Done.

That's a pretty good run. I beat M
icolash
on the first time on both of my playthroughs though. R
om
is by far the hardest and most annoying mandatory boss for me. It's always interesting how these things differ from one player to another. I also went through
Yahar'gul and Mensis
, including the bosses, on NG+ without dying once.

I tried rolling away from it went I went to collect my blood, that big thing still grabbed me.

Nah, I avoided it as well, and still managed to take the gear. It becomes more interesting when you reach a certain point in the game, and it definitely has a place in it.

Edit: The thing that makes it tragic is that it's such a turgid "Fuck you" after a second that's both really challenging and really fun with the two player character style enemies, the wall of sentries that you can take out by sneaking behind them and the Bagman that you can knock off the cliff which is really satisfying. It's this wonderful wonderful build that is capped off with, quite literally, "LOL TROLL'D YOU! HAHA! DO IT AGAIN IDIOT!" That shit sucks, it's such a sour note on an otherwise really cool and fun section of the game.

Haha! I loved it! The first time I was grabbed, I was like "WTF IS THAT?!!! What happened??".

Then when I built my insight up
and saw them clinging from buildings
, it shook me baaad. A real freak-out moment.

And getting nabbed by those bag guys,
and what happened next,
was up there too. Such amazing moments in an amazing game :)

I love this game more and more. I got extremely frustrated in the first area, pretty much put it down at
Father Guacamole
, read deeply into lore and became reattached, got stuck on the
Shadow of Yharnam
for a couple of days, and now I've powered through leaped off a bridge towards the moon and I have an overwhelming feeling of "fuck spiders."

I really don't think I've had this much fun with a game since high school. (barring Super Smash)

Khayam

Banned
I avoided that thing too. You have to stay in place for many seconds before you get rekt. Calling it unavoidable is just a crappy copout for "I don't pay attention to wtf is going on on the screen" OR "that growing blue aura didn't seem suspicious to me".

Mesoian

I avoided that thing too. You have to stay in place for many seconds before you get rekt. Calling it unavoidable is just a crappy copout for "I don't pay attention to wtf is going on on the screen" OR "that growing blue aura didn't seem suspicious to me".

I mean, that's an odd thing to say in a game that defines most of its exploration by investigating multicolored auras.

Haha! I loved it! The first time I was grabbed, I was like "WTF IS THAT?!!! What happened??".

Then when I built my insight up
and saw them clinging from buildings
, it shook me baaad. A real freak-out moment.

And getting nabbed by those bag guys,
and what happened next,
was up there too. Such amazing moments in an amazing game :)

The Bagman moment was cool (though those enemies are dicks) and they had the good sense to put a lantern not far from where you're dumped off.

As for the rest of it, I don't know man. My insight is 31, I'm not seeing that stuff. All those traps are just invisible bullshit to me. And from what other people are saying, all I can do is keep moving forward and hope I don't run into it until the game pushes my insight high enough where I can see them and then MAYBE it'll be cool.

And that's fucking garbage.

Mesoian

What multicolored auras?

Items dude, they're represented as multicolored auras and generally serve as ushering beacons, whether they prove to be traps or not.

Hell, I was doing the first chalice yesterday and on the second floor, there was a new glowing blue aura against the wall. I very very carefully approached it and noticed that it was a tall figure facing the wall. Then I heard quick footsteps and accidently killed it. Don't know if it was good or bad, but it gave me blood when it died.

That stuff is marvelous. When the game keeps you on edge is when Bloodborne shines. Insight, at least where I am in the game currently, isn't a part of that at all.

I mean, that's an odd thing to say in a game that defines most of its exploration by investigating multicolored auras.

The Bagman moment was cool (though those enemies are dicks) and they had the good sense to put a lantern not far from where you're dumped off.

As for the rest of it, I don't know man. My insight is 31, I'm not seeing that stuff. All those traps are just invisible bullshit to me. And from what other people are saying, all I can do is keep moving forward and hope I don't run into it until the game pushes my insight high enough where I can see them and then MAYBE it'll be cool.

Your insight needs to be at 40 and there are only three parts in the game that I know of where being grabbed can even happen. It only really becomes a problem in a late game area and that's if you don't become good at running passed enemies.

Khayam

Banned

You'll see whatever the fuck that's about once you kill Rom.

And stop hoping you don't run into to it : you can't run into it. You know exactly how it looks like so when you see it, just step away from it, it's that simple.

The first time it happens, you're a few steps from the lantern, so the death itself is no big deal. But you should be intrigued as to what happens and go back to investigate while being careful. When you go back, you get to understand that something there happens and the huge blue aura is your indicator to get out. There is no bad design at all around this, stop with the excuses already.

Mesoian

You'll see whatever the fuck that's about once you kill Rom.

And stop hoping you don't run into to it : you can't run into it. You know exactly how it looks like so when you see it, just step away from it, it's that simple.

The first time it happens, you're a few steps from the lantern, so the death itself is no big deal. But you should be intrigued as to what happens and go back to investigate while being careful. When you go back, you get to understand that something there happens and the huge blue aura is your indicator to get out. There is no bad design at all around this, stop with the excuses already.

I mean, after I got hit with the one at Cathedral yard....the first one, it disappeared, as in, it's not there anymore, and again, it wasn't that big of a deal because it's right next to a lantern and it's something that, I GUESS, sets up more stuff for later. I wrote it off as a one off thing. And you're telling me that they're basically infrequent traps, but I shouldn't be mad because, "I can see it" which I can't as they're invisible until you're in it, and I shouldn't worry about it.

Sorry, that don't jive with me. It's still stupid. It's a big dumb deliberate trap that you have to get caught by once in order to investigate a door which I still don't know whether or not is important because it killed me. You are not going to be able to convince me that this sort of thing is okay. These are just as bad as the pitfalls from Metal Gear, and it sounds like they have about the same amount of frequency.

Your insight needs to be at 40 and there are only three parts in the game that I know of where being grabbed can even happen. It only really becomes a problem in a late game area and that's if you don't become good at running passed enemies.

That sounds pretty foreboding but alright.

Manu

Sorry, that don't jive with me. It's still stupid. It's a big dumb deliberate trap that you have to get caught by once in order to investigate a door which I still don't know whether or not is important because it killed me. You are not going to be able to convince me that this sort of thing is okay. These are just as bad as the pitfalls from Metal Gear, and it sounds like they have about the same amount of frequency.

There's like, two instances in the game where this can happen. On both instances it can be avoided. You've already experienced both.

It's not a big deal at all.

Khayam

Banned
I mean, after I got hit with the one at Cathedral yard....the first one, it disappeared, as in, it's not there anymore.

No it's still there. Go back and check.

And it's excellent game design that you're trying to smear to defend your ego. It's invisible from afar. It become visible once you're on the spot. And you have a few seconds to leave before you get caught. It's not a "sudden death" mechanism like you're trying to explain.

Yessss that hunter in the grand cathedral at the end of the Eileen quest is one dead bastard :)

I have had a couple of goes of martyr lagerius. Having no luck with this dude I can't even get him to move onto his second phase of atracks

-Horizon-

And I am done with the second floor of the defiled chalice and the watchdog boss.

Took me a couple of attempts (way WAY less than chalice ebrietas lol like maybe 5 attempts?) but I figured out a good strategy for myself in the end.

My first attempt, I just used a regular saw cleaver but the damage and the way it attacks just didn't have the reach or damage I wanted. I got it to maybe halfway down its HP bar before I got one shot KO'd by that flaming charge attack. I was dumb for sticking a bit too close and not noticing the signs that it was about to do that attack.

Next few attempts I switched to Ludwig's blade's second form (the standard side slash attack had good reach for me as opposed to the saw cleaver's second form's downward slash). Died on those attempts either from being one shot KO'd or getting locked into one of its attacks and then wailed on.

My last attempt a few moments ago where I did win, I went in with a plan. The only safe time that I could attack it, especially with the blade's slow attack time, was when the boss used a downward or straight forward bite attack when I was maybe a medium range distance away.
When it did that attack, I could rush in and whack once on its head and then dodge back to safety while continuing to circle each other.

The upward bite attack it has, to me, seemed to have a very short recovery time for the boss the start its next attack. At the same time, when it does the downward bite attack, it was a bad idea to immediately rush in to try and attack it. This was because I figured out the hard way in a previous attempt that if I ran in too soon after it did one attack, it could immediately start a chain of more bite attacks. It was hard for me at least to dodge back when it did that (I'm sure there are plenty of people who could dodge back out) but it seemed way too risky for me. Especially since it only took maybe 2-3 normal attacks from it to kill me.

The fire attacks it used like the one where it coughs out fire puffs and when it uses its claws to make a fire wave were easy enough to dodge. Though in earlier attempts, I got stuck in one of those fire attacks and couldn't dodge out and it finished me off lol.

The attack where it spits up lava let me dish out 2-3 attacks before I had to back off. The fire explosion it does is pretty telling and easy to dodge. The fire charge was ok to dodge as long as I was a good distance away.

I had to switch to the charred hunter's outfit as well as use the increase all defense and increase fire defense runes.

My strategy was really slow and I had to be patient because every attack it did could immediately end me. But it felt to me very low risk how I did it and it worked out in the end and that's all that matters.

Man, I remember when I first fought this thing in an earlier chalice. I was way overleveled for it so I was just super aggressive with it and didn't care if it attacked me. This time around, nope, gotta take it slow lol.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Seriously, this. First time I've ever heard anyone complain about that.
Yeah, I only got caught by the cathedral ward one because I went to grab the loot, and ignored messages and tons of bloodstains around it warning me of the trap. And yet, I still survived because the frenzy damage doesn't OHKO you. The one before the Unseen Village locked door never caught me (except on purpose
after getting the Tonsil Stone
) because I was careful and examined messages and bloodstains after I thought the whole place seemed suspicious.

It's a frivolous complaint really.

Alebrije

Got platinum months ago and waiting for DLC , the game is just pure old school like the games you played at NES era when you died and returned to the start point ( boss fights)

Players used to these days games when you die and just restar near where you died will find it annoying but believe me the game has a lot of shortcuts and its fun to kill the same guys more than one time.

Yeah, I only got caught by the cathedral ward one because I went to grab the loot, and ignored messages and tons of bloodstains around it warning me of the trap. And yet, I still survived because the frenzy damage doesn't OHKO you. The one before the Unseen Village locked door never caught me (except on purpose
after getting the Tonsil Stone
) because I was careful and examined messages and bloodstains after I thought the whole place seemed suspicious.

It's a frivolous complaint really.
When I first got to Yahargul the one in the middle of the stairs near that mob kept getting me till I got better at baiting a few and running passed the rest.

jdw_b

Started playing a couple of days ago, new to the series so got my ass kicked straight away.

I've slowly made my way through Central Yarnham to the Cleric Beast. Had a go at him last night to see what i'm up against...managed to get him down to 1/4ish health but he finished me off. Had a quick hour this morning farming some blood echoes to level up so i'll probably have another go at him tonight.

One thing I didn't expect with this game is how tense it is, I'm basically playing it like I would Resident Evil; very methodically and hanging off the edge of my seat. And god damn the enemies are fast, I spent a bit of time hanging back to try and observe their animations before attacking but some of them are just instantly on top of you hacking your face off

Quick follow up to my post yesterday.

Last night I went back to the Cleric Beast. First attempt, dead pretty much straight away. Second attempt, slightly better but used up alot of blood vials. Took a step back and thought about why i'm getting my ass kicked, realised i'm being too defensive and standing too far back which let him hit me with those ridiculous lunging & jumping attacks.

So third time, I went toe-to-toe with him and destroyed him straight away. It's almost as if something clicked about how to predict attacks and time dodges. After that I felt invincible so went rampaging around Central Yharnam killing everything in sight with my new found awesomeness.

As I understand it's Father Gascoigne up next, so i'm fully expecting to be swiftly put back in my place.

Cyrano

Last night I went back to the Cleric Beast. First attempt, dead pretty much straight away. Second attempt, slightly better but used up alot of blood vials. Took a step back and thought about why i'm getting my ass kicked, realised i'm being too defensive and standing too far back which let him hit me with those ridiculous lunging & jumping attacks.

So third time, I went toe-to-toe with him and destroyed him straight away. It's almost as if something clicked about how to predict attacks and time dodges. After that I felt invincible so went rampaging around Central Yharnam killing everything in sight with my new found awesomeness.

As I understand it's Father Gascoigne up next, so i'm fully expecting to be swiftly put back in my place.
Practice your shotgunning.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
She can be a roadblock for many, was for me. A reliable way is to break one of her hind leg to stagger her and then smack her in the head and repeat with the other leg. Keep some numbing mists ready for when she heals.

AWWWWWWWWWWWWW YISS!!

Got her!

Whew boy! Last night my fiance' came back from a work trip, and late in the evening I wanted to give Vicar a couple more tries. My Ludwig just was just too damn slow, and my saw didn't feel like it had enough reach or did enough damage.

I started with the "whore's blood" as soon as I took my first hit, tried to keep a medium distance and go for the legs and beat up her head. But man, I just couldn't get her to down to even 75% health without using a couple vials.

I have this horrible fear of wasting vials, so I try to get really used to a boss without using any so that I don't run out if it takes me 100 tries.

And then, I realized my Ludwig's charge/thrust does insane damage. The key, though, is not letting that long recovery and great use of endurance put you in a place to get hit over and over. That's tougher than it sounds.

But I got her down to about half health with one vial... and so I decided to "go for it." Nine more vials and five numbing mists later, and I killed her on that go.

I seriously jumped in the air and screamed in excitement. A game hasn't done that to me since my PSO or Halo 2 days.

Congrats!

I know that feel. I remember high-fiving my dumbfounded wife when I finally beat Cleric Beast. Father G is even more satisfying.

I mean, after I got hit with the one at Cathedral yard....the first one, it disappeared, as in, it's not there anymore, and again, it wasn't that big of a deal because it's right next to a lantern and it's something that, I GUESS, sets up more stuff for later. I wrote it off as a one off thing. And you're telling me that they're basically infrequent traps, but I shouldn't be mad because, "I can see it" which I can't as they're invisible until you're in it, and I shouldn't worry about it.

That sounds pretty foreboding but alright.

What a weird and insignificant thing to complain about. You can see and hear the effect coming ~2 seconds before it grabs you regardless of how much insight you have.

EDIT: Looks like it's ~2 seconds, not the 3-5 I thought. Regardless, if you're paying attention you should be able to avoid both instances.

AWWWWWWWWWWWWW YISS!!

Got her!

Whew boy! Last night my fiance' came back from a work trip, and late in the evening I wanted to give Vicar a couple more tries. My Ludwig just was just too damn slow, and my saw didn't feel like it had enough reach or did enough damage.

I started with the "whore's blood" as soon as I took my first hit, tried to keep a medium distance and go for the legs and beat up her head. But man, I just couldn't get her to down to even 75% health without using a couple vials.

I have this horrible fear of wasting vials, so I try to get really used to a boss without using any so that I don't run out if it takes me 100 tries.

And then, I realized my Ludwig's charge/thrust does insane damage. The key, though, is not letting that long recovery and great use of endurance put you in a place to get hit over and over. That's tougher than it sounds.

But I got her down to about half health with one vial... and so I decided to "go for it." Nine more vials and five numbing mists later, and I killed her on that go.

I seriously jumped in the air and screamed in excitement. A game hasn't done that to me since my PSO or Halo 2 days.

Aha, congratulations good hunter. :D

Making you earn your victory is the best part about soulsborne games. The excitement that follows it feels extremely satisfying.

Trogdor1123

That was a hard boss for me, too. I am not too good to Google a strat with a hard boss, and I saw strategies that suggested bringing their health all down gradually as a group, but that just led to me dying. I can see the benefits if you can pull that off, but I just couldn't.

Here is what I did:
I went for the guy who shoots the fire projectiles first, and spent a lot of time ducking in and out behind the pillars (or are they trees? I don't remember) to heal and create distance. I concentrated on him but would take one or two swipes at the others if it was safe. Once the fireball guy died I went at whichever one of the two that were left that had less health. When the snakes started coming out of the ground and things got cray cray I just dodged like crazy and got in shots when I could.

That was that with that. That boss took me more tries than any other. But it basically came down to patience and not taking that extra swing that depletes your stamina and leaves you wide open. I find this is the case with 90% of the boss fights in that game.

I'm no expert, but that's what I did. Don't quit. That was easily my hardest boss fight. After that I don't think I died more than 3 or 4 times to a boss. And I SUCK.

I will give it a go trying that, I was doing the internet thing as well and it was just brutal. Im not too good at the souls games but I truly enjoy them but when I get stuck, I really get stuck and it ruins it for me.

Trogdor1123

any hints on weapons I should use? Ive been using Ludwigs sword (i think, its the one that combines with its sheath) and the pistol.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
any hints on weapons I should use? Ive been using Ludwigs sword (i think, its the one that combines with its sheath) and the pistol.

I'm a noob, so don't take anything I say as definite. But I've heard pretty much any weapon has the potential to at least be "good." I've heard you should do what fits your playstyle the best - though having something with reach AND something fast can be beneficial.

Me? I just think Ludwig's Holy Blade is too damn badass to give up.

-Horizon-

Finished the 3rd floor of the defiled chalice but stuck on the boss now. Darn you Amyalien face. You were easier in the main game, especially since your attacks couldn't 1 hit KO me back then.

This floor just sucked to get through. Those dog things with the tongues and fire are just terrible. Yeah, you could shoot them to knock them over but they get up way too fast. And there are usually more than one. And there was that fire sword dude hanging around too.

But the enemy I hated the most on this floor was the blue oiled and shinied up piece of lard protecting the coffin area I think. Screw that guy. I had to use the blue potion thing that let me sneak up behind it to visceral. And even then it didn't die. And it kept rolling around like a doucheface. Something that big shouldn't move that fast.

Now with the boss. Haha. I hate that one attack it does where its hands get covered with those orbs and it can basically one shot you. At times it seems to home in one me. Other times, it hits nowhere near me. Sometimes, it follows up with the same dang attack so if I manage to dodge to first set, I get hit again. And its jump attacks are dumb too D:<

I got a few more blood gems including a cursed one that boosts my attack waaay up at the cost of lowered kin damage I think it was called. Just applied it to the holy blade since that's what I think is working best so far.

I'll try the boss again tomorrow. I died to it way too much today lol.

Saya

Started playing a few days ago. Really liking it so far but I think i still prefer the setting and atmosphere of DS. There doesnt seem to be much variety in the locations. Anyway, it took me a few hours to adjust to the game and then it clicked. I want my first run of the game to be mostly blind and new so i wont look up too much info online. But that said,
Im in the prison part now after getting my ass kicked and kidnapped by guys with bags.
This part is quite tough and the enemies suddenly hit so much harder. I'm out of vials and bullets too. Any tips for these enemies?

DedValve

Banned
Started playing a few days ago. Really liking it so far but I think i still prefer the setting and atmosphere of DS. There doesnt seem to be much variety in the locations. Anyway, it took me a few hours to adjust to the game and then it clicked. I want my first run of the game to be mostly blind and new so i wont look up too much info online. But that said,
Im in the prison part now after getting my ass kicked and kidnapped by guys with bags.
This part is quite tough and the enemies suddenly hit so much harder. I'm out of vials and bullets too. Any tips for these enemies?

Dragons Dogma had a really great tip that a lot of people ignored as its some sort of inconcievable thing to do in an action game.

run away. There's always a lamp nearby.

ramyeon

Finished the 3rd floor of the defiled chalice but stuck on the boss now. Darn you Amyalien face. You were easier in the main game, especially since your attacks couldn't 1 hit KO me back then.

This floor just sucked to get through. Those dog things with the tongues and fire are just terrible. Yeah, you could shoot them to knock them over but they get up way too fast. And there are usually more than one. And there was that fire sword dude hanging around too.

But the enemy I hated the most on this floor was the blue oiled and shinied up piece of lard protecting the coffin area I think. Screw that guy. I had to use the blue potion thing that let me sneak up behind it to visceral. And even then it didn't die. And it kept rolling around like a doucheface. Something that big shouldn't move that fast.

Now with the boss. Haha. I hate that one attack it does where its hands get covered with those orbs and it can basically one shot you. At times it seems to home in one me. Other times, it hits nowhere near me. Sometimes, it follows up with the same dang attack so if I manage to dodge to first set, I get hit again. And its jump attacks are dumb too D:<

I got a few more blood gems including a cursed one that boosts my attack waaay up at the cost of lowered kin damage I think it was called. Just applied it to the holy blade since that's what I think is working best so far.

I'll try the boss again tomorrow. I died to it way too much today lol.
Did you say Amygdala? If its jump attacks are getting you, here's a tip - stand still when it jumps. You won't get hit. You can see this happen in my video.

Hopeford

I think I'm nearing the end of the game(just went through
The Nightmare of Mensis
and I have never been sadder about getting close to the end of a game before. I want this to go on forever! This is one of the best games I have ever played. Also talk about taking a simple story and executing it perfectly. The story elements are some of the oldest, most cliched things ever but this game makes everything work so well I'm loving every second of it.

ramyeon

That didn't look lucky, that look legit skilled

:O

and on the second try?!
Haha yeah, I actually struggled with Amygdala a bit in the main game. I used to try to fight it underneath and attack its arms - it worked but it was harder to keep track of what was going on. Decdided to try and fight it head on in the Chalice dungeons and it worked much better for me - so much easier to see its tells and see what's going on haha.

-Horizon-

Since my last post, I've been trying and trying again to take thing down. Finally after more than an hour of failure after failure, I finally managed to take it down.

Haha yeah, I actually struggled with Amygdala a bit in the main game. I used to try to fight it underneath and attack its arms - it worked but it was harder to keep track of what was going on. Decdided to try and fight it head on in the Chalice dungeons and it worked much better for me - so much easier to see its tells and see what's going on haha.
The chalice version has been continually kicking my butt lol

I've been wondering what the bone ash did since I have never used it but I guess it really powered up each of your shots (to be honest, I haven't read or paid much attention to all item descriptions, even on the load screen lol). My tinge level is low but since I had a whole bunch in storage I thought I'll follow your lead and use it too. It did way WAY less damage than any of your shots (of course since you had tinge level 40 I think it said in the video description and mine was only 20 lol) but any damage at all against that thing was good enough for me.

And yeah, when it did the jumping attack, it really was better to just stay put. Though there were a few times that I accidentally rolled forward after it did the jump and I became a pancake lol.

I seriously hate its final form where it takes off its arms, it is hard to get close to the arms (that's the part that I usually attacked since to me it was easier to get to after it finished one of its attacks, in your video I saw that you always went for the head). I don't know why but near the end of my last battle, it just kept jumping and jumping. I guess it was because I just kept running far away from it haha. So I did what you said, stayed still, and have it jump on me. Then I figured out, I could land 1-2 hits on its head and then dodge behind it by rolling in between its legs to avoid that hand orb attack thing it does.

At least I'm now done with that reduced health chalice BS.

Top Bottom