• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony will release Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart for PC in July 26

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Sony is so weird. They just had a showcase last week. Why not announce this in there? The exposire would be much bigger?

This also means The Snitch was right 2 days ago (or was it tom Henderson?) about Playstation releasing a PC port in July. This is the game.

Maybe this is the rumored second PS showcase

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Hold up.....didn't Jim say that their goal was to sell at least 108m ps5's? 👀🤔
This game didn't move many PS5 so meh.

I'm interested in this mainly because of the technological implications. Will Nixxes used DirectStorage? 1.1 was still in the beta phase by the time they were working on this so I'm wondering if they were able to implement it anyway.

RickSanchez

This is good news. For everyone including Sony, despite some of the shit takes ive seen in this thread.

It's a great game that PC users can enjoy now. And it would be good for sony to simply put NVMe or atleast SATA SSD storage as a minimum requirement. If the game is meant to run in a certain way, no point in trying and failing to optimise for HDDs.

Since Nixxes is handling this, i have high hopes.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Sweet. I enjoyed my playthrough of it. I might get it again on a sale just because it'll look tasty on my qd-oled monitor.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
gotta love how they have this whole big showcase but just fart out this news a couple of days later like it's nothing

It is nothing for most people who would watch a PlayStation showcase. We've had this game for two years.

Last edited:

Neofire

This game didn't move many PS5 so meh.

I'm interested in this mainly because of the technological implications. Will Nixxes used DirectStorage? 1.1 was still in the beta phase by the time they were working on this so I'm wondering if they were able to implement it anyway.
I disagree because my son loves the game. Also I figured you would be getting it on pc because the game looks fun not because you want it to see how much it pushes PC storage 👀

Interesting....

FxCyax5WAAERhOf

Gaiff

I disagree because my son loves the game. Also I figured you would be getting it on pc because the game looks fun not because you want it to see how much it pushes PC storage 👀
Don't get me wrong, this is one of the games I wanted to get a PS5 for in the first place. With that said, the technological implications are still interesting. I really want to see how it runs on PC as a taste of what is to come in the future.

Still waiting for an R&C Collection but it doesn't seem like we'll be getting one.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Another strange decision. Nobody is really clamoring for ratchet and clank on PC. Demon Souls or Ghost of Sushi seem like obvious choices.

Gaiff

If Spiderman is anything to go by, PC will see a huge increase in RT quality.

Day 1 for me.
I wonder how hard it'll hit the CPU. Spidey on PC is extremely CPU-intensive.
Another strange decision. Nobody is really clamoring for ratchet and clank on PC. Demon Souls or Ghost of Sushi seem like obvious choices.
Both are likely coming to PC as well. Just later.

R&C and Ghost are both running on a proprietary engine, correct? Same for Demon's Souls? I also think Rift Apart uses the same engine as Spider-Man.

Last edited:

Banned
PSA: Anyone who's planning to first play this on PC and hasn't played it on PS5 yet.

do yourself a favour and play it on the hardest difficulty, makes the game way more fun, as it forces you to actually think about what weapon to use when and which ammo to conserve, all while making dodging and good movement a vital part of the combat.

and even on the hardest mode, it's never actually all too challenging, just the right amount imo.

Last edited:

AndrewRyan

Can't give them my double-dipped money fast enough for this masterpiece. Guessing there are many PC owners who are curious to try R&C so sales should be very strong.

Sony is so weird. They just had a showcase last week. Why not announce this in there? The exposire would be much bigger?

This also means The Snitch was right 2 days ago (or was it tom Henderson?) about Playstation releasing a PC port in July. This is the game.
they really are... they always seem to make a head scratching move once a year or so lol

they could have saved this for SGF or even the PC showcase, where the folks who might buy your show are at... instead Sony's like "nah, blog post it..."

Alan Wake

As a customer I kind of like Sony's strategy. It rewards you as a PS5 owner with games being true exclusives for at least a year but at the same time gives the game a wider audience with a PC release.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Unlocked frame rates and for many of us to get to play it (again for me) in ultrawide?

Well worth the wait for a lot of people
The framerate is unlocked on ps5 in this too. It supports vrr.
Fidelity about 50fps and performance modes about 70-100

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Unlocked frame rates and for many of us to get to play it (again for me) in ultrawide?

Well worth the wait for a lot of people
Having upgraded my PC I'm enjoying gaming on PC again, it's more powerful than PS5.
But l know l can't wait so long for 1st party ports. However, PC owners will enjoy the game, it looks and plays beautifully.

Last edited:
But I was told PC wouldn't be able to run it because the PS5 had a super duper ultra speedy fast SSD!!

Oh wait, PS5 SSDs are slower than PC now :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I might pick it up when it goes on sale. I enjoyed the one I played on PS4. This is one less reason to buy a PS5 lol. Just waiting on Demons Souls now...a 2009 game.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I'm glad PC players get to play this it will look great with ultrawide for sure and I also want to see what impact RT shadows have on the visuals. This will also be a great (the best?) platform comparison because Ratchet is by far the top PS5 game that leverages PS5 i/o the most. It's not just the portals, it's the dimension crystals and the camera wipes as well.

Tqaulity

As it stands, I see zero enticement to wait 2-3 years for these PC ports just to play them at a higher frame rate. Meaningless ports.
This is my sentiment as well. I wouldn't expect PC ports to be fundamentally different than the PS5 counterpart. This isn't the PS3 and PS4 generations where many console games were running at Sub-HD res and limited to 30fps. Most of the PS5 ports are already running at 4K (or dynamic 4K) and ~60fps (or higher). R&C runs as native 4K/ ~50fps unlocked with RT on PS5 already. Sure ultrawide support is nice and RT shadows will be negligible so there isn't really any incentive to rebuy this if you've already played and enjoyed the PS5

Theres absolutely no reason for me to buy a PS5.
Demon Souls is now the only true PS5 exclusive wow :/
The key is about adding value to the console which I'd argue Sony is still maintaining. With MSFT's strategy of PC games day and date, I can see this point. But with PC ports coming 1-2 years later with a virtually identical port (for some depending on their system), there is no reason to pass on playing a great game on PS5 to wait for a PC ports years later. It's only for folks who only game on PC to have access to these games (not for existing PS5 gamers to want to rebuy)

Curious to see what the minimum requirements are.
To be clear, Sony/Insomniac never said that this game was ONLY possible on PS5. The whole point of the PS5 is make it easier for developers to harness more advanced capabilities and push technology forward. The SSD and dedicated I/O HW aren't doing magic that can't be replicated anywhere else. It's main purpose is to offload work from the CPU (and GPU) to improve efficiency and utilization of resources. Ratchet and Clank is coming a full 2 years after the PS5...for a reason. Porting this to PC was not easy. You heard the FFXVI producer talk about how PC is coming a year or more later because it'll take time to figure out how to optimize for it. For R&C on PC you can expect SSD and DirectStorage as a minimal requirements and very high CPU specs for stable performance that matches PS5.

Does it require SSD?
I'll count on it

Gaiff

I'm glad PC players get to play this it will look great with ultrawide for sure and I also want to see what impact RT shadows have on the visuals. This will also be a great (the best?) platform comparison because Ratchet is by far the top PS5 game that leverages PS5 i/o the most. It's not just the portals, it's the dimension crystals and the camera wipes as well.
Will be a great test for what is to come in the future. Also glad that Nixxes is handling it as they also expressed interest in DirectStorage back when DF interviewed them around the release of Spider-Man. I'm hoping they're using 1.1 for this game as more developers should take advantage of it. It's been sitting here for months with only one AAA game having used it.

Midn1ght

Nvidia leak strikes again! This one I might get early if the port is in a decent shape.

Made my custom covers already:

Next should be Demon's Souls but I hope we get Ghost of Tsushima .

Last edited:
Top Bottom