• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth has been censored in EU (only consoles affected)

Blink Me

Honestly in the UK we're pretty much OK with anything in our entertainment content. Hell, a shitty teen soap on at 6.30pm every weekday currently has an extremely poorly handled story about man-rape of a teacher by a 15 yr old boy. Though they didn't show the actual bumming, they did go right up to the point where the teenage boy incapacitated the teacher and started unbuckling.

This is an 18 rated game. I want my Randy abortion dammit

Lol knew it was Hollyoaks. Haven't watched it for ages but I assume its John Paul who's the victim? Anyway it sucks they're censoring the game.

rjinaz

This has nothing to do with any politician, it's a deliberate "marketing" decision by Ubisoft and by not buying the game you're effectively punishing them.

All you're doing is hurting the developers and yourself. All Ubisoft will be convinced of is that they should avoid making controversial games in the future, they certainly aren't going to be scared into not censoring a game again. And this game not selling as well as it could have isn't going to bankrupt them either.

injurai

Banned
Surely censoring abortion is something they should do on the US copies, not EMEA :p

Americans love showing other Americans abortion pics.

They come out in hordes to our campus on nice days to yell and berate everyone who is contributing member of society.

KHlover

Banned
Seems like I have to find other means to get this game then. Already bought my German version on Steam, I don't think you can cancel pre orders there...fuck Ubisoft in the ass >:{

Marc

tumblr_mmf8o8vUrk1rux8n3o2_500.gif

Been considering cancelling my preorder, I hate this crap. It is a south park game, why would you censor it... and in the bloody UK? Europe for that matter? Have they been here??!?!?! Apart from the odd stuck up mother, who coincidentally buy this kind of game for their kid without looking into it, no one cares! So why cut content?

Agh, so many dumb people running things in games. The bad side of it being a successful industry is it attracts leaches and board room people who haven't got a clue about the public or gaming as they were too busy playing croquet.

Btw, won't Matt and Trey be pissed off about this considering how they hated the network censoring them?

Stuart444

I normally am not bothered by small censorship (though I will usually always think it's stupid) but something about this just makes me furious. I mean it's SOUTH PARK. Censoring South Park of all things just seems like one of the most stupidest decisions a company could make. Why would Ubisoft think this would be a good thing, any South Park fan that wanted the game and found out it was censored will get angry about this.

Just.. wtf.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Seeing an abortion may harm your tiny little adult brain

but that would make it even odder to be censored in Europe where abortions are relatively straightforward and not hugely contentious (other than a couple of countries like Ireland), but leave it in in the US where abortion is a very controversial topic.

Cat Party

Revolutionary war
War of 1812
Stick of Truth

USA just keeps winning over the UK.

Though I can't wait to see what the text says.

SKINNER!

Banned
Just found this out. Thinking that because the UK started to use PEGI for 15 and 18 rated games Ubisoft can't be bothered to release UK versions of games so we've now been grouped up with "Europe" and therefore we'll be affected by other countries censorship laws...I think!? Ugh.

Any UK-sellers selling the US version of the game? Would resort to the PC version but my graphics card doesn't meet the minimum requirments according to "Can You Run This?" :(

All you're doing is hurting the developers and yourself. All Ubisoft will be convinced of is that they should avoid making controversial games in the future, they certainly aren't going to be scared into not censoring a game again. And this game not selling as well as it could have isn't going to bankrupt them either.
Oh I'm still buying it personally. If the pc version is fine I'll get that, if it's not I guess I'll just wait a while and get it when it's cheaper, and I'll make sure to tweet Ubisoft or something and let them know why I wasn't there from day 1. And that's what I'd suggest to everyone who's planning to avoid the game due to censorship, let the publisher know why you're boycotting the game otherwise it's pointless.

Great

spekkeh

Banned
Btw, won't Matt and Trey be pissed off about this considering how they hated the network censoring them?
No doubt. It's the one thing that makes me hopeful the censored version will actually be better. But I'm not going to preorder, wait and see for the commentary.

Stuart444

What if Ubisoft edits whatever Matt and Trey give them to avoid sniping at Ubisofts stupid decisions? Since Matt and Trey probably have to get Ubisoft approval for the written text.

rjinaz

Oh I'm still buying it personally. If the pc version is fine I'll get that, if it's not I guess I'll just wait a while and get it when it's cheaper, and I'll make sure to tweet Ubisoft or something and let them know why I wasn't there from day 1. And that's what I'd suggest to everyone who's planning to avoid the game due to censorship, let the publisher know why you're boycotting the game otherwise it's pointless.

Exactly right! If people are upset about this they should head to Ubisoft's Facebook page or tweet them and let them have it.

dan2026

I bet Germany is somehow the cause of this.

Why do we all have to suffer because they can't get their damn act together?

erawsd

There's nothing wrong with that kind of length. It's better to have a consistently fun 12 hour game than a 30 hour game with 20 hours of padding.

Looking at the pewdiepie videos the game is very light on "filler".

Things we expect from RPGs like long travel times, huge maps full of nothing, random battles, and walls of text aren't there. What is there is thick with detail though. Every encounter is fully voiced and crafted as a set piece to fit into the story. Even the vendor trash seems to be unique to a given area.

I can see how its not easy to keep that up for 20-30 hours.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
We can always wait for the uncensored/censored ultimate GOTY version release then.

The original release should have been the uncensored/censored version. Just have a little thing at the start of the game saying "This game contains certain scenes which may offend anyone who is a pussy. Would you like to be able to access this content?"

Yes.

No, I am a pussy.

daviyoung

Banned

I can't shake the idea that this has been Ubisoft's plan from the start regardless. Smacks of an attempt to create buzz, considering the censoring comes direct from Ubisoft marketing and they have new content all ready to go.

Marc

Revolutionary war
War of 1812
Stick of Truth

USA just keeps winning over the UK.

Though I can't wait to see what the text says.

pfft, we won 1812, who got their capital city burnt down?

Ours burns down on its own, US couldn't even manage it. And the French won the american revolutionary war for you, no fair!

No doubt. It's the one thing that makes me hopeful the censored version will actually be better. But I'm not going to preorder, wait and see for the commentary.

Seems like they have some decent control of the game, considering it is an obsidian game delayed to polish it which never happens. Probably will wait for a price drop, maybe buy second hand... really desperate to play this game though. Been in a gaming drought (well, stuff I really want to play), its quite the first world dilemma.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

Hey, you can blame cut swastikas and renamed jew-classes on us, but we love abortions and analprobing as much as the rest of the world!

edit: Oh, the renamed jew-class was a hoax, sorry.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Do we have a summary yet of how this affects the PC-version? Was thinking of buying a key from Greenmangaming or something.

We don't know for certain whether or not the censorship applies to the PC version. Ubi's yet to clarify the matter.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Well, congratulations Ubisoft. This "purely a marketing decision" might have just unsold a copy in the US because supporting a company who would decide to censor a damned South Park game of all things isn't really the sort of thing I'm likely to do.

Can someone answer this:

Will the US PSN sell the game on launch ?

If so, we who live in PAL territory can just buy it there! Easy as that guys.

Top Bottom