• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor |OT| - Judge me by my file size, do you?

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Nankatsu Nankatsu great OT!

It's more fun to have a great story without needing to rely on cameos.

Would you like Vader to pop right smack into The Matrix because it's fun? no, you want the story to make sense and involve you, engage you, not just consist of cheap thrills.
giphy.gif

Dude you are trying too hard. The cameo was perfect and very well done.
If you didn't liked it it's fair but it does fits perfectly in the game. And no I fuckin hate Marvel movies, stop making stupid assumptions like this.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Shame that despite the delay, the game is coming in hot. DF not getting a review copy is a repeat of what we saw with Hogwarts and TLOU and we all know how poorly unoptimized those games were on PC.

Some rumors that unlike those other games, this game runs very poorly on the PS5 so clearly the PS5 wasnt the lead platform like so many other games like Callisto, Gotham Knights, Hogwarts, etc.

Bragr

Banned
The difference is the matrix and star wars are entirely different continuities.

There is nothing far fetched about a character within the same continuity which has a reason to be in the plot. Vader hunts jedis. Cal Kestis is a jedi. It only stands to reason that they would encounter each other in this game. I don't get how that makes it a "shameless cameo" or whatever. And you seem to think it's a "cheap thrill" just because it features a popular character in the star wars continuity.
It's a complete copy of Rouge One, that's why it's shameless. They saw the movie and did the same thing because they thought it was cool.

There are ways to use Vader, but not this "pop in at the end" sort of stuff. That is only done to appease the Marvel crowd and generate YouTube reactions. They should have written him into the story.

It's a complete copy of Rouge One, that's why it's shameless. They saw the movie and did the same thing because they thought it was cool.

There are ways to use Vader, but not this "pop in at the end" sort of stuff. That is only done to appease the Marvel crowd and generate YouTube reactions. They should have written him into the story.
No it isn't. Just because it's a scene where Vader is portrayed as an overpowered badass and appears at the end of the game doesn't mean it is a copy of Rogue One. This complaint seems so forced.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
The pictures in first post reminded me of the only thing I didn't like about this game, and perhaps the only thing missing: a charismatic protagonist.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Debating on whether I should buy this. I want to play it, but I am not sure I want to jump into a big game 2 weeks before Zelda. I did like the first one. I just don't want to be close to done, then have Zelda drop and never go back to it. Maybe I should do a month of EA Play Pro to force me to finish.

First world problems: Too many interesting games to play.

Ulysses 31

Debating on whether I should buy this. I want to play it, but I am not sure I want to jump into a big game 2 weeks before Zelda. I did like the first one. I just don't want to be close to done, then have Zelda drop and never go back to it. Maybe I should do a month of EA Play Pro to force me to finish.

First world problems: Too many interesting games to play.
Another first world problem is people having convinced themselves that they need to play new games on day one.

Banned
Debating on whether I should buy this. I want to play it, but I am not sure I want to jump into a big game 2 weeks before Zelda.

I did that with Ni-Oh back when BotW/the Switch came out, I finished Ni-Oh literally the evening before the launch lol
close one... took me 70h I think (doing all the side missions too).

I bet Jedi Survivor will not be as long of a game as Ni-Oh tho, so I should be fine

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
It was as if Aragorn would have jumped into Harry Potter to fight Voldemort, so all the kids can cheer on their favorite cameo.

Vader in Fallen Order is cheeseball tactics for kids. It's Hollywood overkill.

The people who liked it are the same people who cry when they watch teaser trailers for Marvel movies.

. . .legit wonder whether some of you just actively HATE fun. It was an EASY cameo to do and was done well - neither Cal or Cere are able to actually "beat" Vader and only do so by escaping and his appearance here tracks as he only shows up when he can snatch victory out of the hands of his subordinate (who has spent far too much time chasing down a Jedi Padawan).

Pollux

I know a lot of people dislike Cal, but I would love for this dude to show up in some of the new TV shows/Movies that have been announced.

Freeman76

Dont know why but i was under the illusion this was coming to gamepass 🤣

I'm guessing on Xbox there isnt an EA sub that would give me access?

Pollux

He is far better than anything disney made in the past years.
Cal, Ezra, Merrin, Grogu could be a good group of "seasoned Jedi/force users" to help kick off the new Rey "New Jedi Order" rip off from the old legends canon. As long as the Jedi games are making money I don't see them killing off Cal and if they keep bouncing through the timeline, they'll get up to Old Man Cal to fill some type of Kyle Katarn role. I dunno, more lore focused people could probably work him in better than I could, but the one thing that is certain is having some ties to the Old Jedi Order will help give a sense of continuity and legitimacy to the New Jedi stuff they're going to do.

MiguelItUp

It's interesting to me, with your debate/argument. Because I personally feel like directly writing him into the story is actually doing MORE of what you're accusing Fallen Order of. The way it was done allowed us to focus on other villains, etc. Rather than having Vader hit over our head in every moment.

I know it's already been mentioned, but Vader existing in this time period is beyond relevant. He wants every lingering Jedi dead. It's why you come in contact with the inquisitors, and of course, with each inquisitor interaction, Vader isn't too far away. It SHOULD be known that he's a main villain in this arc, because, well, he is. Because he wants every Jedi dead. Him finally appearing at the end makes sense considering the amount of things Cal had accomplished by that time. Felt very much like a, "I'll do it myself" moment to me.

Saying that it "copied" Rogue One just because of his appearance at the end is a bit of a stretch to me. In both situations, no one expected him to appear, but him appearing made sense because of the context. The interactions were not identical, the only similarities were that it happened at the end, that's it. But again, it makes sense IMO.

It seems like you just don't like it, for whatever reason. But that's totally fine, haha. To each their own! I loved it, and I'm excited about this sequel.

I know a lot of people dislike Cal, but I would love for this dude to show up in some of the new TV shows/Movies that have been announced.
Really? People do? I thought people liked Cal, but then again I never really looked into it too much. thought it was a great character, personally.

He is far better than anything disney made in the past years.
Yeah, honestly, growing up with Star Wars makes it hard to not want to love everything. But man, the last trilogy was such a disappointment. It's like there were SOME neat/cool things, but the things that were meant to be the most "important" all just fell flat, lol. Rey, Poe, and Finn could've been some really cool characters, but that's not what we got, haha.

Last edited:

Pollux

It's interesting to me, with your debate/argument. Because I personally feel like directly writing him into the story is actually doing MORE of what you're accusing Fallen Order of. The way it was done allowed us to focus on other villains, etc. Rather than having Vader hit over our head in every moment.

I know it's already been mentioned, but Vader existing in this time period is beyond relevant. He wants every lingering Jedi dead. It's why you come in contact with the inquisitors, and of course, with each inquisitor interaction, Vader isn't too far away. It SHOULD be known that he's a main villain in this arc, because, well, he is. Because he wants every Jedi dead. Him finally appearing at the end makes sense considering the amount of things Cal had accomplished by that time. Felt very much like a, "I'll do it myself" moment to me.

Saying that it "copied" Rogue One just because of his appearance at the end is a bit of a stretch to me. In both situations, no one expected him to appear, but him appearing made sense because of the context. The interactions were not identical, the only similarities were that it happened at the end, that's it. But again, it makes sense.

It seems like you just don't like it, for whatever reason. But that's totally fine, haha. To each their own! I loved it, and I'm excited about this sequel.

Really? People do? I thought people liked Cal, but then again I never really looked into it too much.

Yeah, honestly, growing up with Star Wars makes it hard to not want to love everything. But man, the last trilogy was such a disappointment. It's like there were SOME neat/cool things, but the things that were meant to be the most "important" all just fell flat, lol. Rey, Poe, and Finn could've been some really cool characters, but that's not what we got, haha.
The usual crowd on twitter that complains about any cis/hetero/white male character. Ignoring that J:FO has a pretty diverse cast and by all appearances so does Survivor. They also refuse to acknowledge that Cal is a diverse character - not many soulless gingers running around.

MiguelItUp

The usual crowd on twitter that complains about any cis/hetero/white male character. Ignoring that J:FO has a pretty diverse cast and by all appearances so does Survivor. They also refuse to acknowledge that Cal is a diverse character - not many soulless gingers running around.
Ah yeah, I figured it was something like that, lmao. It's hard being a fan of anything these days, definitely gotta filter stuff. Especially with Star Wars.

Last edited:

TheZink

I can confirm. I'm playing a review copy and performance is terrible (mid 40s most of the time). The game is awesome though. Hopefully the day one patch will iron things out for release.
any word on the Series X version? I was planning on getting PS5 for the controller but I have a X also.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm looking forward to this, and I'd like to get it on Steam. I'm not sure how I feel about giving EA $70, though.

Nydius

I'm playing a review copy and performance is terrible (mid 40s most of the time).

No native support for VRR or 120hz either (40fps or 120fps).

Well, that’s really disappointing. I have long since lost faith in miracle day one patches in the triple A gaming space.

I loved the first game but with these performance issues I guess I’m going to wait a few months for patches and for the inevitable half (or more) off sales retailers do for physical versions.

Nankatsu

Gold Member

I didn't like him on the beginning, but I recognize that his journey during Fallen Order made sense, and he grew as character for me.

I'm expecting him to be more badass this time around though.

Last edited:

Banned

if it's the same on Xbox it would at least be possible to run it at 120hz by default...

is it only a low framerate or also stutters?
Elden Ring on Xbox was perfectly fine at 120hz vrr because it only has a framerate issue but no other stutters or hitches.

this also makes me think the PC version might be shit too... being unreal engine

MaKTaiL

if it's the same on Xbox it would at least be possible to run it at 120hz by default...

is it only a low framerate or also stutters?
Elden Ring on Xbox was perfectly fine at 120hz vrr because it only has a framerate issue but no other stutters or hitches.

this also makes me think the PC version might be shit too... being unreal engine
Low framerate and lots of stutter too. Lots of screen tearing as well. The game sometimes also freezes to load the scenery. Going in or out of a bar also takes time to load (I often have to wait a few seconds before the door is opened so I can enter or leave the bar). It is totally unacceptable with an SSD IMO which clearly shows how badly optimized it is for current-gen even if they dropped lastgen specifically to avoid these issues.

Forcing VRR on PS5 is useless in this game because it runs frequently below 48fps and there is no LFC so VRR doesn't work most of the time. It is not possible to force 120hz on PS5 like on Xbox either.

Last edited:

Banned
Low framerate and lots of stutter too. The game sometimes also freezes to load the scenery. Going in or out of a bar also takes time to load (I often have to wait a few seconds before the door is opened so I can enter or leave the bar). It is totally unacceptable with an SSD IMO which clearly shows how badly optimized it is for current-gen even if they dropped lastgen specifically to avoid these issues.

jesus fucking Christ...
this will be shit on PC too then I guess 😑

Luipadre

Low framerate and lots of stutter too. Lots of screen tearing as well. The game sometimes also freezes to load the scenery. Going in or out of a bar also takes time to load (I often have to wait a few seconds before the door is opened so I can enter or leave the bar). It is totally unacceptable with an SSD IMO which clearly shows how badly optimized it is for current-gen even if they dropped lastgen specifically to avoid these issues.

Forcing VRR on PS5 is useless in this game because it runs frequently below 48fps and there is no LFC so VRR doesn't work most of the time. It is not possible to force 120hz on PS5 like on Xbox either.

Holy shit... I hope it gets shredded in reviews. Who am i kidding, it will get 9's and 8's while reviewers gonna ignore these problems as usual. A fucking 2023 AAA game with screen tearing...i cant.

Last edited:

thatJohann

Ugh my heart sinks reading this, was waiting for this game forever. They probably have the apology tweet already drafted promising bug fixes and apologizing etc. Gaming has become a joke.

Top Bottom