• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor |OT| - Judge me by my file size, do you?

MiguelItUp

Why isn't this releasing on May the 4th?
Missed opportunity for sure, but I'm sure it just has something to do with EA's preferred release cadence for 2023 or something.

Probably wanted to beat the other big releases in the coming months too.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Shame that despite the delay, the game is coming in hot. DF not getting a review copy is a repeat of what we saw with Hogwarts and TLOU and we all know how poorly unoptimized those games were on PC.

Some rumors that unlike those other games, this game runs very poorly on the PS5 so clearly the PS5 wasnt the lead platform like so many other games like Callisto, Gotham Knights, Hogwarts, etc.
Wait if the lead platform isnt the pc and not the ps5 then what is it the xss?

Freeman76

if it's the same on Xbox it would at least be possible to run it at 120hz by default...

is it only a low framerate or also stutters?
Elden Ring on Xbox was perfectly fine at 120hz vrr because it only has a framerate issue but no other stutters or hitches.

this also makes me think the PC version might be shit too... being unreal engine
Its not even out yet, who knows what patch may drop day one. Typical gaming thread, full of drana queens worrying before its in their hands 🤣

Luipadre

Blaster gameplay

Holy shit these animations. im fucking crying. PS2 era

kekw-dow.gif

Last edited:

Banned
Its not even out yet, who knows what patch may drop day one. Typical gaming thread, full of drana queens worrying before its in their hands 🤣

day 1 patches almost never fix anything that is in the review copy.
the times this happens are the exception not the rule.

and this is unreal engine, and the first game was also an absolute mess.

so IMO if you think the day 1 version of the game will be dramatically different than the review copy that people are playing NOW a few days before release, you are simply not thinking straight.

Luipadre

many PS2 era combat animations are superior to most modern games.

DMC3's animations are about 10x as good as GoW Ragnarök's for example.

so not sure what PS2 era animations is supposed to mean in this context.

what you see there are western game dev animations.

Yeah sorry this was an insult to PS2 era. It looks that bad :D

Last edited:

Banned
Yeah sorry this was an insult to PS2 era. It looks that bad :D

yeah, this is literally just western devs not knowing how to properly do combat animations.
Mortal Kombat to this day hasn't reached Tekken 2 or Soul Edge PS1 animation quality.

they simply don't know how to properly use anticipation, hit, and follow through timings, neither do they understand proper signaling and how to get across weight behind attacks.

that's also why all the western Souls likes feel way worse to play than even Demon's Souls

Last edited:
Blaster gameplay

Holy shit these animations. im fucking crying. PS2 era

kekw-dow.gif

Yep, I fucking knew it the first time I saw the gameplay trailer. I fucking swear, people were blind, swooning over it. HOLY FUCK those animations lmfao. EDIT: Damn they took it down real fast, guess they dont want ppl to see this turd.

Last edited:

Alex11

yeah, this is literally just western devs not knowing how to properly do combat animations.
Mortal Kombat to this day hasn't reached Tekken 2 or Soul Edge PS1 animation quality.

they simply don't know how to properly use anticipation, hit, and follow through timings, neither do they understand proper signaling and how to get across weight behind attacks.

that's also why all the western Souls likes feel way worse to play than even Demon's Souls
Yeah but come on, I mean, it's one thing to have rough animations, tanky whatever, but when he points the gun sideways and shots the droid it's pretty much ridiculous, it almost looks broken, Jesus.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
many PS2 era combat animations are superior to most modern games.

DMC3's animations are about 10x as good as GoW Ragnarök's for example.

so not sure what PS2 era animations is supposed to mean in this context.

what you see there are western game dev animations.
Yeah good animation in games has more to with skill of the animator more than tech. Also Monster Hunters series has FANTASTIC animations both for the Hunter and the Monsters.

Since it was taken down here you go guys, for your own pleasure: 2023 gaming animations. Critics will love it, guaranteed it. Preorder now. Shooting a blaster comes with force powers now, it lifts the enemy up magically from the ground. Who needs hand motions? Just go instantly from lightsaber attack to a gun shooting from your hand!

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Since it was taken down here you go guys, for your own pleasure: 2023 gaming animations. Critics will love it, guaranteed it. Preorder now. Shooting a blaster comes with force powers now, it lifts the enemy up magically from the ground. Who needs hand motions? Just go instantly from lightsaber attack to a gun shooting from your hand!

This how you do good animation.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It doesn't need to be another "OH SHIT FUCK RUN AWAY" section this time around. Instead Cal has leveled up to the point where he can fight actually fight Vader like a regular boss enemy and land a hit even if the fight is still very one sided in Vaders favor. Picture something like Luke's first fight with Vader in ESB. Vader was clearly the dominant combatant but Luke was at least able to hold his own.

Like I said, it would show how far he has progressed in the 5 years since FO.
I see what you’re saying. I would expect two possible outcomes: 1. Cal’s demise or 2. Cal loses a limb.

Duchess

This must be pre-alpha code. Surely you can't be serious.

MiguelItUp

Why watch a few seconds of poorly compressed video where you can barely make out what's going on when you can watch 9 minutes of gameplay.

I think the verdict is, if you had no problems with the previous game's animations, then you'll be fine here. Man, people really are eager to jump into threads to say "_______ SUCKS LOL!", huh?

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Was tempted to pick this up, but since it's physical requires download to even play I am skipping. Maybe if it goes down to 10 dollars used.

Banned
People give lot of shit to FROM because their games are not high tech enough but just looks those animation.

No amount of high tech graphic can save you from bad animation, I mean just look at Mortal Kombat.

High tech in fact often leads to worse gameplay and animations.
From Software uses the most basic ways to animate a character, hand tuned canned animations. many modern games use too much near raw motion capture, dynamic blending and often an animation AI, all resulting in sluggish gameplay and unresponsive feeling animations.

See REmake 4 vs og Resi 4.
original, super responsive and clearly telegraphed "dumb"/"simple" animations.
remake, more motion capturing, dynamic animations that react to stuff like foot position and damage, resulting in less responsive game feel and worse telegraphing.

and I mean... Mortal Kombat is just sad, but hey, MK11 was a step in the right direction at least 🤷

Last edited:
Why watch a few seconds of poorly compressed video where you can barely make out what's going on when you can watch 9 minutes of gameplay.

I think the verdict is, if you had no problems with the previous game's animations, then you'll be fine here. Man, people really are eager to jump into threads to say "_______ SUCKS LOL!", huh?

The game is more expensive than the first. A sequel should also improve not the opposite.

ManaByte

Gold Member

Played through the original twice. That looks better.

MiguelItUp

The game is more expensive than the first. A sequel should also improve not the opposite.
Which is an unfortunate reality because of this gen, is it not? The price increase doesn't change anything other than that, sad to say. Agreed, but even if the animations minorly dipped in quality but other parts of the game improved, I'd be fine with that personally. If anything I'm curious about the final turnout, lol.
Played through the original twice. That looks better.
I spent a solid amount of time on it myself, and while I personally see some worse and some better, I don't think it's enough to equate such a wild reaction. But that's just me I guess. Just hoping it turns out decent/great is all.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I loved the first one and look forward to playing this eventually. I'm going to wait until it comes to Game Pass with EA Play, I'm way too backed up on games I want to play. I'm replaying BotW and have TotK preordered. I'm going to try to play The Last case of Benedict Fox if I have time before TotK, then Ghostwire, Redfall and the big one, Starfield in September.

Maybe I can get to Jedi Survivor by early next year. :messenger_tears_of_joy: At least any bugs should be patched out by then, it looks like a good one.

Very nice OT Nankatsu Nankatsu thank you for making it.

Buggy Loop

The fuck is up with his right leg during that animation? At 25 & 27 seconds. It doesn't transition well at all.

Ouf, coming from Sekiro just fresh, this will be rough..

1:02 or 1:52 Who the hell walks like that going downhill?
:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

It doesnt have to be tho, if people stopped being blind or stopped supporting this only because they can't live without their monthly dose of corporate AAA drugs.

render john carpenter GIF by xponentialdesign
I mean, that's a whole other topic. But, it's why I primarily play on PC, prices are usually the cheapest there, lol.

Debating on whether I should buy this. I want to play it, but I am not sure I want to jump into a big game 2 weeks before Zelda. I did like the first one. I just don't want to be close to done, then have Zelda drop and never go back to it. Maybe I should do a month of EA Play Pro to force me to finish.

First world problems: Too many interesting games to play.
Just take a break between this and Zelda after finishing it. Zelda isn't going anywhere.

Hot5pur

PSA: I believe if you get EA Play Pro for a month you can play this game and dead space remake for like $15.

Also agree this game's animations are not the best. But it's probably worth a playthrough. Looks fun.

RAIDEN1

The sooner the reviews drop for this the better, as I am intrigued to see how much better is it from the last one...that being said I've yet to complete Force Unleashed 1 and part 2! (I skipped them at the time of their release...)

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The sooner the reviews drop for this the better, as I am intrigued to see how much better is it from the last one...that being said I've yet to complete Force Unleashed 1 and part 2! (I skipped them at the time of their release...)
This is a big step above Force Unleashed. The games aren’t even comparable. FU was more of a floaty action game. FO has elements taken from From Software games and Uncharted type platforming. FU needed more polish. I couldn’t finish either FU games. I did finish FO and I’ve bought Survivor.

When are reviews up?
Tomorrow the 26th. Preload starts tonight

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

This is a big step above Force Unleashed. The games aren’t even comparable. FU was more of a floaty action game. FO has elements taken from From Software games and Uncharted type platforming. FU needed more polish. I couldn’t finish either FU games. I did finish FO and I’ve bought Survivor.

Tomorrow
Where I was the opposite, where Fallen Order to this day never appealed to me, maybe because of its Metroid-vania aspects that were talked about, etc...but even when it was free to play I was never tempted to download it, where as with Force Unleashed it was great it was available on B.C clearly if done right Part 3 could easily go toe-to-toe with Fallen Order and its sequels, but it is anyone's guess right now if that will ever come about ...(outside of rumours...) I ended up watching Fallen Order as a movie on Y.T just to see what the story was about...

Top Bottom