• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor |OT| - Judge me by my file size, do you?

saintjules

I agree that all the performance stuff was/is a shame, and there's no excuse for it. But I'm hoping it all gets patched soon for those still experiencing issues.

Was there ever a time when playing that you wanted to stop and wait for patches? Thinking of buying it this week, but I want mostly an uninterrupted experience. Maybe we'll never get it at this rate.

yamaci17

Looks like they are finally fixing the PC CPU usage.

Here are the fixes you can expect with this patch:

• (PC only) Updated occlusion behavior for raytracing, reducing idle time stalls.
  • (PC only) Updated streaming budgets that will help alleviate traversal hitching.
  • (PC only) Performance improvements for some VFX.
    • Coming soon to console
  • (PC only) Updated data handling when toggling raytracing, improving non-raytraced performance.
Other stuff in the pipeline as well.

• (PC only) Improving performance on newer i7 and i9 CPUs that have efficiency cores.
  • (PC only) General performance improvements to improve both CPU and GPU utilization while reducing idle time, both with and without raytracing.
  • (PC only) Improving some hitching which can be attributed to streaming raytracing data, assets, and a gap in our prebuilt shaders.
we will see. i finished the game but mostly played without ray tracing. (i gave up on it). if they improve things a bit for lowend cpus i might go back to %100'ing with ray tracing

i've blamed 16 gb ram 8 gb vram and everything for the horrible frametimes I got in Koboh/Outpost...but sadly it was my crap cpu all along lol. it just can't hold stable frametimes for some reason. could be some extreme ccx bottleneck or cache being destroyed

i cope with low framerate avg. but not like this... i dont know why it turned out to be this way all of a sudden with new titles though. a bit sadge.

MiguelItUp

Was there ever a time when playing that you wanted to stop and wait for patches? Thinking of buying it this week, but I want mostly an uninterrupted experience. Maybe we'll never get it at this rate.
Not at all! My performance was stellar in my entire experience, but I know I was one of the "lucky" ones. Ran into a few weird bugs, but nothing that a relaunch didn't fix. Inconveniences, if anything, really.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
we will see. i finished the game but mostly played without ray tracing. (i gave up on it). if they improve things a bit for lowend cpus i might go back to %100'ing with ray tracing

i've blamed 16 gb ram 8 gb vram and everything for the horrible frametimes I got in Koboh/Outpost...but sadly it was my crap cpu all along lol. it just can't hold stable frametimes for some reason. could be some extreme ccx bottleneck or cache being destroyed

i cope with low framerate avg. but not like this... i dont know why it turned out to be this way all of a sudden with new titles though. a bit sadge.

lol I told you this last year.

I upgraded my i7-8700 to an i7-11700k a couple of years ago and it definitely helped in RT games like cyberpunk. Looks like its on par with the 5800x3d so i made a pretty good choice.

The problem with this game is that its single threaded and really likes higher clocks so the new 6.0 ghz CPUs from intel are the only ones that can maintain a locked 60 fps through out the game. The town area really chugs no matter what i do with the settings. turning RT on and off, going all the way down to FSR performance increase the max framerates but the drops to 40 are still there.

Hopefully this patch addresses some of these issues.

SlimySnake

0 mention of console performance fix, all PC. Nice one respawn. They must know that console performance is dogshit too right?
I suspect whatever CPU improvements they are making to the PC version will come to the console versions. its likely CPU bound there too.

The problem is that this is a RT game with RTGI, RT Shadows and RT reflections. Its just way too expensive for these consoles. The only way you are getting more performance is if they disable RT altogether, but as we see on PC, it introduces a lot of visual bugs which is probably the reason why they went with RT on in all modes.

In short, just pretend this is a 30 fps game and that the 60 fps mode doesnt exist.

Alex11

I've just started playing Survivor and as of right now it's a hit and miss with ray tracing. Yeah, on most scenes it looks much better but I've noticed a few issues, the reflections are very poor, don't think they are all RT as when you move the camera some reflections still disappear, and also some light leaks too which should not happen with RT.

Just a quick note, I don't think I've ever seen more atrocious SSR reflections in any game, Jesus Christ, there's no excuse for that.

So hoping for a fix and I play it without RT and just switch it on or off in some scenes for fun or just to compare.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Another interesting tidbit that many people don't know is
the reason Ahsoka's lightsabers are now white is because she "healed" a bled kyber crystal. It's in the canon Ahsoka novel that came out a couple years ago.
Yeah this is awesome lore.
I love that they added white lightsabers to the game.

SlimySnake

Just a quick note, I don't think I've ever seen more atrocious SSR reflections in any game, Jesus Christ, there's no excuse for that.
Again, this is likely due to it being designed as an RT first game. I am honestly surprised they let you disable RT at all on PC because without it the reflections are just broken.

I think they should offer toggles for RT. I dont think RTGI adds that much aside from that stupid orange hair bug on Cal. But RT Reflections id like to keep on. It would reduce the vram load, the cpu load, and obviously free up a good chunk of the GPU for better performance.

I suspect whatever CPU improvements they are making to the PC version will come to the console versions. its likely CPU bound there too.

The problem is that this is a RT game with RTGI, RT Shadows and RT reflections. Its just way too expensive for these consoles. The only way you are getting more performance is if they disable RT altogether, but as we see on PC, it introduces a lot of visual bugs which is probably the reason why they went with RT on in all modes.

In short, just pretend this is a 30 fps game and that the 60 fps mode doesnt exist.

On the other hand thats really cool that they even managed to all those rt features on console and it seems to maintain 30 well enough.

I'm not convinced that rt gi is really a thing in the game though (on console) Digital Foundry dude didn't even seem sure of it if you watched the ps5 vs series x tested video.

Does anyone know if multiple channels confirmed this? If it really has gi, shadows, and reflections that would already be doing more than any other game on console by a lot. Witcher 3 has gi and reflections but that runs terribly.

Not even a word about performance fixes on console.

Sad Its Over GIF by Star Wars

I hope this isn't going to be another CD Project red situation where they only focus on PC

yamaci17

Again, this is likely due to it being designed as an RT first game. I am honestly surprised they let you disable RT at all on PC because without it the reflections are just broken.

I think they should offer toggles for RT. I dont think RTGI adds that much aside from that stupid orange hair bug on Cal. But RT Reflections id like to keep on. It would reduce the vram load, the cpu load, and obviously free up a good chunk of the GPU for better performance.

well there's a different possibility. i've seen this with w3. you could run RTGI and as a side effect it helps with reflections too. it feels like a similar story here

im just theorizing btw. w3 was another game where u had to run RTGI (you could only enable rt reflections rt shadows on top of it. but u had to run rtgi as a baseline)

see for reference

notice how RTGI alone improves reflections somehow.

maybe the way these two games implement ray tracing requires RTGI as a baseline to work with. IDK. but seems like a "trend" definitely. if one or more game enforces RTGI as a baseline I will be convinced that its a trend

Last edited:

Alex11

Yeah, I think you are right about being designed as an RT first game, I can see it also in the AO, they could have well add different levels of quality for that instead of cramming them all in just enable ray tracing option. Is AO more intensive on its own or when it's used in ray tracing option?

Well, in some scenes the RTGI looks quite nice, but yeah in others is not a big difference, also even when you enable RT, the reflections in some scenes are broken.

SlimySnake

well there's a different possibility. i've seen this with w3. you could run RTGI and as a side effect it helps with reflections too. it feels like a similar story here

im just theorizing btw. w3 was another game where u had to run RTGI (you could only enable rt reflections rt shadows on top of it. but u had to run rtgi as a baseline)

see for reference

notice how RTGI alone improves reflections somehow.

maybe the way these two games implement ray tracing requires RTGI as a baseline to work with. IDK. but seems like a "trend" definitely. if one or more game enforces RTGI as a baseline I will be convinced that its a trend
Interesting.

Banned
so I stopped playing the game until it's somewhat finished...
tried out today's patch, and I'm getting constant sound bugs now... while performance didn't improve to any degree that I can tell.

so great, now the game is even more broken than before.
I mean it is expected from Respawn these days to break everything with a new patch, but damn.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I beat it yesterday and I have to say while I think it was a great game and enjoyed it a lot, I did end up liking Fallen Order more. I felt that way throughout the game, but wasn't sure if I'd feel that way all the way through.

I can't knock them for attemtping going bigger this once, but I think this type of a game is better served smaller and more confined. I touched on that earlier. More planets that are smaller. But it isn't just that. A couple other things stood out to me. Fallen Order was more difficult. And that doesn't necessarily mean better, but it felt like each area required some strategy and each enemy presented more challenges. Like, in Fallen Order there were parts where I was like "Oh yeah, this is the ___ part! Damn, ok these guys can be a pain, let me try this strategy this time." But in Jedi Survivor, it's just "Oh, it's this part where I just have to beat up on 10 guys using no strategy at all." It became an tedious annoyance more than it was fun. This game just threw waves of enemies at you and to me that took away what I loved about Fallen Order. Fallen Order just felt more intimate, more strategic.

And I felt with bigger areas and more enemies, it made the lack of enemy types way more pronounced in this game. You didn't notice it was much in Fallen Order because there were fewer enemies. But in this game since there are so many more enemies to fight, you fight the same enemies over and over and over and it starts to get repetitive. And the force tears just throw the same enemies at you again, so it's even worse.

Some areas were fun to explore, but overall it was more of a chore that it was fun for me. Miss a chest or upgrade? If it's at a midway area in between fast travel points and not near a shortcut area, it's so annoying backtracking. They just made the planets way too big.

I hope they make the next one more like Fallen Order than Jedi Survivor. Make it feel more challenging, more strategic, more intimate. Also, FFS how about instead of having light saber individual parts in chests, just have fewer chests with a whole light saber in them and allow us to mix and match at the work bench. I feel they do this to artificially inflate content. Just make it so they can increase the number of chests 5x by having a bunch of weapon pieces in them. It's just bloated with collectibles a la Assassin's Creed games. Totally unnecessary.

I doubt they'll scale the next one down though because everything in gaming today is trending bigger. "More like Elden Ring! Big world! Big enemies! Big! Big! Big!" Bigger in gaming isn't always better.

Last edited:

mitchman

Gold Member
I finished it, trying to get to 100% now. Performance is only an issue in some areas or specific situations, as I see it. Slightly annoying but didn't influence the fighting and such for me. It's a great game anyway.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Got the platinum trophy. I love this game so much. Shame about the visuals and performance, looks like we need a remake on next consoles.

RAIDEN1

So for someone who skipped the first game, because I wasn't attracted to the Souls bourne esque or whatever it is/Metroid-vania style of it, would this game be worth getting into? Is it as enjoyable as Spiderman? I am still sticking with my timeline of checking this out end of June/early July to see where things stand bug wise...(on consoles)

yamaci17

So for someone who skipped the first game, because I wasn't attracted to the Souls bourne esque or whatever it is/Metroid-vania style of it, would this game be worth getting into? Is it as enjoyable as Spiderman? I am still sticking with my timeline of checking this out end of June/early July to see where things stand bug wise...(on consoles)
u really need to play the 1st so the story makes sense / you can relate to characters.

also same souls bourne and metroid vania aspects are there

RAIDEN1

u really need to play the 1st so the story makes sense / you can relate to characters.

also same souls bourne and metroid vania aspects are there
I saw the first one as a movie on Youtube to see what the story was about....can't say I have regretted my decision in not getting the first part to this day...but at the moment this game is the only action adventure Star Wars game, that may be a bit like Uncharted that we have...not as if there are any others...and also in the absence of a Force Unleashed 3 Jedi Survivor is about as good as it gets...(for now)

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i bought the game, its on my shelf now, ill be waiting for a few more weeks first.

Kydd BlaZe

I'm trying to hold off on picking this up until I hear that console performance has improved. In the meantime though, what is currently the best version if I decided to pick it up anyway? PS5 or XSX?

winjer

Gold Member
Hitching still exists, exactly on the same spots as before. But it's slightly less pronounced.
The frame time graph doesn't jump as much, and for as long as before.

I noticed I gained a couple of frames, in a few places I tested before.
But there are areas that are still very CPU limited. For example, in Koboh, near the Jawa settlement, it still drops performance a lot.

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
PC Patch is live. Any improvements to stuttering?

I'm on a new playthrough. Just got to Koboh bu thaven't reached the town yet. I tell you what, I don't know if it's patch or what but I'm getting a pretty solid 90fps here. No hitching to report, that I've noticed anyway, but it's still early. I'm on a i7 11700k, 64gb ram, 4090 RTX @ 1440p with all settings on EPIC and RT ON. One change I've made for personal preference on this playthrough is I turned off Motion Blur and Film Grain. It's possible that MB off is contributing to the performance. So far so good but we'll see.

So I've seen that it crashes and also on Jedha for many but I haven't had a single crash and really don't have a good PC, what are your specs?
Ever since I disabled the AMD DLSS thing, crashes stopped entirely.
7800X3D, RTX 4090. 1440p. Epic quality, RT on. I'm getting something between 80 - 105 fps. GPU usage is nearly 100% most of the time.

I just said to hell with it and installed the DLSS3/frame gen mod. Beat it already but i just been running around bs'ing lol

People say it has visual artifacts and it does at times but even those little artifacts with the much improved performance are better than running the game without it/what the game ends up looking like with FSR2.

With his mod on my only real problem area is in the direct vicinity of Greez's bar or whatever.

SlimySnake

No idea what they did with the patch, but the LOD pop-in is worse than ever now. It is loading assets right in front of me, no matter where I am. open world, town area or a smaller indoor level doesnt matter.

I am also getting the same hitches and stutters while exploring the koboh town and the saloon. Figured out how to get the 1% and 0.1% framerates to show, and wow, it really helps capture the poor state of the stutters. Down to 18 fps during those stutters. its truly awful. 1% is around 22 fps. And again, i have this locked to 40 fps on a 3080.

Turning off RT, changing settings to medium did nothing. same 1 and 0.1% drops while exploring the town and the saloon.

For shits and giggles, I booted up TLOU which now runs at a locked 60 fps with 1% lows at 60 fps and 0.1% lows at 59. It is basically locked. I actually went in and increased the two new settings that they recently added. the vram texture streaming setting from normal to fastest that adds 1.5 gb to the vram as well as maxing out the new settings to reduce visual effects and NPC/wild life count. Even with both maxed out, the framerate was rock solid. no stutters. no drops whatsoever. everything at either ultra or high.

Changed to Hogwarts and same stutters to 18-22 fps every few seconds just walking around in small towns. hogsmead was just as bad. I reduced settings to medium (Rt was off already) to see if it reduces the vram load but nope, same stutters.

Crazy to see the ND has done a better job faster than other devs. Especially considering it shipped in a much much worse state than Hogwarts and Star wars. their vram usage has been reduced by a good 2-3 GBs. They are constantly adding smart configurable settings like the texture streaming setting and the npc count setting.

Both Hogwarts and Star Wars use the generic UE4 setting slider which uses several key settings in one setting so effects control reflections and particle effects and other settings you cant configure on their own. so stupid.

yamaci17

No idea what they did with the patch, but the LOD pop-in is worse than ever now. It is loading assets right in front of me, no matter where I am. open world, town area or a smaller indoor level doesnt matter.
I am also getting the same hitches and stutters while exploring the koboh town and the saloon. Figured out how to get the 1% and 0.1% framerates to show, and wow, it really helps capture the poor state of the stutters. Down to 18 fps during those stutters. its truly awful. 1% is around 22 fps. And again, i have this locked to 40 fps on a 3080.

Turning off RT, changing settings to medium did nothing. same 1 and 0.1% drops while exploring the town and the saloon.

For shits and giggles, I booted up TLOU which now runs at a locked 60 fps with 1% lows at 60 fps and 0.1% lows at 59. It is basically locked. I actually went in and increased the two new settings that they recently added. the vram texture streaming setting from normal to fastest that adds 1.5 gb to the vram as well as maxing out the new settings to reduce visual effects and NPC/wild life count. Even with both maxed out, the framerate was rock solid. no stutters. no drops whatsoever. everything at either ultra or high.

Changed to Hogwarts and same stutters to 18-22 fps every few seconds just walking around in small towns. hogsmead was just as bad. I reduced settings to medium (Rt was off already) to see if it reduces the vram load but nope, same stutters.

Crazy to see the ND has done a better job faster than other devs. Especially considering it shipped in a much much worse state than Hogwarts and Star wars. their vram usage has been reduced by a good 2-3 GBs. They are constantly adding smart configurable settings like the texture streaming setting and the npc count setting.

Both Hogwarts and Star Wars use the generic UE4 setting slider which uses several key settings in one setting so effects control reflections and particle effects and other settings you cant configure on their own. so stupid.
i think only gigantic 3d cache helps with koboh outpost. its crying shame.

now the game has these weird "skips" lol

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
The game runs like hot garbage, even after the latest patches. I was struggeling with a boss fight, and the game kept crashing a lot under a boss fight, so I had to lower the difficuly in order to beat him and get the game moving. This game should never have been released like this.

Yep janky as hell in spots (ps5 here) but darned if im not liking this game a whole lot all the same :/
Story, character and environment-wise, probably enjoying it a bit more even than Fallen Order.

Alex11

Ever since I disabled the AMD DLSS thing, crashes stopped entirely.
7800X3D, RTX 4090. 1440p. Epic quality, RT on. I'm getting something between 80 - 105 fps. GPU usage is nearly 100% most of the time.
My PC pales in comparison (5600x, RTX 4070), but no crashes, 4k FSR, Epic quality and no RT. It's just weird, on Jedha runs the best so far, on Koboh it was ok, but the most stutters I have is on Shattered moon.

yamaci17

My PC pales in comparison (5600x, RTX 4070), but no crashes, 4k FSR, Epic quality and no RT. It's just weird, on Jedha runs the best so far, on Koboh it was ok, but the most stutters I have is on Shattered moon.
Weirdly i didnt get any crashes in jedha with ray tracing lol with my 2700 and 3070 (1440p fsr quality high preset)

Last edited:

Alex11

Weirdly i didnt get any crashes in jedha with ray tracing lol with my 2700 and 3070 (1440p fsr quality high preset)
Yeah, that's what I was wondering also, no crash for me while others with much stronger PC's have them, very poor state of the game, shame as it is a very good game.

yamaci17

Yeah, that's what I was wondering also, no crash for me while others with much stronger PC's have them, very poor state of the game, shame as it is a very good game.
speakinf of shattered moon, fsr / taa / or whatever they have completely shits the bed there in many occasions lol. have u noticed that? extremely horribly ghosting and artifacting everywhere. it almost feels like some of the regions are not eve tuned / tweaked for motion vectors

Top Bottom