• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield Early Access thread | See That Standard Edition Over There? You Can Upgrade It.

Status
Not open for further replies.

naguanatak

Anyone else struggling on lockpicking? Any suggestions?

Are you supposed to be able to open any of them if you pick correctly or can you just be missing the correct ones?
Before clicking, try the combinations in your head. Once you aligned a ring, it stays in that position...so I always align all of them first and then just click through them in their correct position

Question about the persuasion system for those who know(so I can be ready when the game officially releases):

How exactly does it work in this game specifically and how can you tell if there's a chance of success or failure? Have they reduced persuasion to a pure diceroll, or is there more to the '+1, +2, +3' that I'm not seeing?

LordCBH

Its a puzzle, you have to account for the inner rings as well as the outer. Sometimes they overlap on the outer ring but you can screw yourself apon getting to the inner rings.

I suggest lining everything up before you set the pick.

It took me ages to figure that out. I spent a while wondering “why are there no holes for these things?” On some of them. It’s a good mini game.

nikos

I'm a few hours in and the game seems to be progressing pretty slowly. At the same time, it seems like you can fast travel to all of your destinations. Haven't really explored much yet. Perhaps that changes later.

Going to stick with it for now but it's a bit boring if I'm being honest.

MMaRsu

Banned

There is also the screen next to the ship captains seat, from there u can access the cargo

I'm a few hours in and the game seems to be progressing pretty slowly. At the same time, it seems like you can fast travel to all of your destinations. Haven't really explored much yet. Perhaps that changes later.

Going to stick with it for now but it's a bit boring if I'm being honest.

So you haven't been to any of the other major cities, or explored any of the planets / handcrafred content?
Whats boring you exactly? There are quests everywhere

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Going to use a reshader. Going with the Constellation Reshader by V2 unless another one is highly recommended.

nikos

So you haven't been to any of the other major cities, or explored any of the planets / handcrafred content?
Whats boring you exactly? There are quests everywhere

I got to the first major city, joined Vanguard, did their first mission, handed it in and then went to the next planet for the main story mission.

What's boring me is it's pretty dialog heavy and I just seem to be fast traveling from point A to B without anything interesting happening.

MMaRsu

Banned
I got to the first major city, joined Vanguard, did their first mission, handed it in and then went to the next planet for the main story mission.

What's boring me is it's pretty dialog heavy and I just seem to be fast traveling from point A to B without anything interesting happening.

Ok well maybe take it slower then. On new Atlantis there are so many little missions and side quests. Even in space zones there is plenty to find

Ofcourse its dialogue heavy, its a bethesda rpg.

Every landing spot it generates a few interesting handcrafted content like facilities and caves

Last edited:

nikos

Ok well maybe take it slower then. On new Atlantis there are so many little missions and side quests. Even in space zones there is plenty to find

Ofcourse its dialogue heavy, its a bethesda rpg.

Every landing spot it generates a few interesting handcrafted content like facilities and caves

I'm sticking with it. Hopefully it'll click for me. Combat is fun and there have been some nice sequences so far.

MTsOKMB.jpg

I'm in disbelief regarding the space fast travel. I found a book that confirmed travel is meant to take seconds. Why do they even have outposts in this universe? They can mine all day in a shithole and get back home in five seconds!

Why are my objectives changed without asking? I don't give a fuck about some dude being sad about trees or whatever. Random assholes come up to me, tell me some boring shit and bam, objective updated. Between this and the main quest hopping between planets every 60 seconds, it feels like the game is on crack. The pacing is all wrong.

MTsOKMB.jpg

I'm in disbelief regarding the space fast travel. I found a book that confirmed travel is meant to take seconds. Why do they even have outposts in this universe? They can mine all day in a shithole and get back home in five seconds!

Why are my objectives changed without asking? I don't give a fuck about some dude being sad about trees or whatever. Random assholes come up to me, tell me some boring shit and bam, objective updated. Between this and the main quest hopping between planets every 60 seconds, it feels like the game is on crack. The pacing is all wrong.
New objectives pop up on the top left in conversation and it says hold start to make it the current one for me.

GladiusFrog

10 hours in today, This is my favorite BGS game to date.

Really appreciate the dialogue choices and different ways to complete quest, there's a lot of variety in tone. A huge step up from Skyrim and Fallout 4.

I'm playing a self absorbed smuggler and it feels believable and awesome.

Also the Nasa-Punk aesthetic rules.

Last edited:

M.W.

Why can't I land on a planet where I'm supposed to finish my mission? Says I have a bounty, where the fuck did that come from? Now what?

MMaRsu

Banned
What. The bounty isnt the wanted trait guys. A bounty on ur head is if y did a criminal act..

If you remove the wanted trait the bounty hunters wont come after u no more

If u have a UC bounty you gotta pay it off by hailing one of their attacking ships

Dont forget u can hail every ship

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
It took me a while to gel with the game, for the first couple of hours I was a bit disappointed with the game, but I'm 10 hours in now and utterly hooked. Probably my favourite Bethesda RPG since Oblivion.

That seems to be common opinion. Stick with it long enough and it will eventually click. I've got almost 9 hours and I won't say I'm hooked, but I'm sticking with it either way.

That tutorial on the moon has such an unpleasent mood I noped out of there as soon as able. Was like, idk about this game.
Now New Atlantis thats where I belong holy shit, literally spent 20 minutes walking and eavesdropping on convos. After that went to a coffee shop, grabbed a latte, sit down and just enjoy the view. Finally, the fidelity is there to really immerse myself. Shame about the loading screens.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

Should you be saving those side missions for NG+ and just finish the main story first?

Some reviewers have said that

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Should you be saving those side missions for NG+ and just finish the main story first?

Some reviewers have said that

That just sounds like such a weird thing for an RPG like this on principal. Ignore all the universe building content, just run through the main story.

I have no idea what NG+ does in this game, maybe it's some Nier style shit, but I'm probably not gonna rush the story anyhow.

-

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
That just sounds like such a weird thing for an RPG like this on principal. Ignore all the universe building content, just run through the main story.

It is strange especially for a Bethesda game, but that Mattyplays guy has said that this should be played differently from their previous titles in that you really should go all in on campaign first

GHG

Gold Member
The fast travel is there so the game doesnt feel like a slog taking 10/20+ minutes to get in your ship, travel through atmosphere, travel to a planet, land in atmosphere

Lmao good luck finishing a game of this size with that pacing

Fast travel is an option in every other game. As someone who rarely uses fast travel in open world games (even in Skyrim), the option to take the full amount of time to traverse between objectives and explore en-route should be down to the player.

Fast/menu travel is the only option here, and don't don't kid yourself, the only reason why that's the case is because their game engine can't handle anything else (or they couldn't find a way to make it work in this engine).

I have no idea what NG+ does in this game, maybe it's some Nier style shit, but I'm probably not gonna rush the story anyhow.

-

Seriously. Sounds awful.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Fast travel is an option in every other game. As someone who rarely uses fast travel in open world games (even in Skyrim), the option to take the full amount of time to traverse between objectives and explore en-route should be down to the player.

Fast/menu travel is the only option here, and don't don't kid yourself, the only reason why that's the case is because their game engine can't handle anything else (or they couldn't find a way to make it work in this engine).

Seems like this game would have been way better had they stuck to a single solar system with maybe 6-8 fully fleshed out planets with one hub area on each followed by a few fleshed out biomes/dungeon areas in each , and one where you needed to fully explore and experience one before you could gather the resources to venture to the next, with some mild backtracking here and there

All planets fully explorable, with vehicles to explore them, and the ability to take off and explore space in real time

The experiences described with the retail game seem really disjointed

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

Played 3 hours, struggled a bit with the menus but its starting to click. So far so good. Got a job on Mars but got arrested, called it a day.

Can't wait to have a decent session on it over the weekend.
Once I figured out that you can navigate in space by hitting the scanner/lb my enjoyment increased exponentially. I don’t know why they don’t even seem to mention this in the tutorial becsuse it’s way more immersive than popping into a menu.

adamsapple

Once I figured out that you can navigate in space by hitting the scanner/lb my enjoyment increased exponentially. I don’t know why they don’t even seem to mention this in the tutorial becsuse it’s way more immersive than popping into a menu.

The scanner is so damn useful even when you're on land. I have it open practically all the time.

adamsapple

Tip #1 basically solves it. Im maxed on me, my partner and my ship storage and really dont want to sell any of it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, you can sell stuff that's in the Constellation storage from stores right ? like you don't physically need to be carrying things on you at all times to sell them ?

Also, this might sound like a stupid question, but how do I access the ship cargo hold lol, I've only seen the 40KG compartment that's near the cockpit.

Correct me if I'm wrong, you can sell stuff that's in the Constellation storage from stores right ? like you don't physically need to be carrying things on you at all times to sell them ?

Also, this might sound like a stupid question, but how do I access the ship cargo hold lol, I've only seen the 40KG compartment that's near the cockpit.
While on the ship check your normal inventory from the menu then hit LB

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Anyone else struggling on lockpicking? Any suggestions?

Are you supposed to be able to open any of them if you pick correctly or can you just be missing the correct ones?

First, scroll through all available pins. When you click on a pin, rings where it fits will be highlighted blue. So if you have a pin that only fits in the most outer ring, you know that's the one you need to start with. Other than that it's aligning them before you actually click to see how they fit and visualizing it in your head. I already have a master picklock skill.

Good place to practice is bank vault in Akila city!

Topher

Gold Member
First, scroll through all available pins. When you click on a pin, rings where it fits will be highlighted blue. So if you have a pin that only fits in the most outer ring, you know that's the one you need to start with. Other than that it's aligning them before you actually click to see how they fit and visualizing it in your head. I already have a master picklock skill.

Good place to practice is bank vault in Akila city!

Good explanation. That's how I do it as well. It is really a matter of figuring out where each pin should go before you start. I usually pick one pin and line it up and then see if any of the other pins match the remaining pattern. Then, as you say, visualize the remaining pins in the inner ring to discover if all patterns are matched there as well. Only then do I start placing them.

It's actually a pretty cool little lock pick mini game.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Good explanation. That's how I do it as well. It is really a matter of figuring out where each pin should go before you start. I usually pick one pin and line it up and then see if any of the other pins match the remaining pattern. Then, as you say, visualize the remaining pins in the inner ring to discover if all patterns are matched there as well. Only then do I start placing them.

It's actually a pretty cool little lock pick mini game.

Yeah I like it as well. The only thing I’d add is a time limit on higher levels to add extra pressure. Fail to unlock on time and alarm rings or something like that.

naguanatak

Don't understand how to board ships other than in one mission.
I target their engines, because a load screen tip (I think) said you can board them when their engines are down. Other then doing damage and eventually blowing the ship up, nothing happens...can't hail, can't board...what am I missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom