• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield Early Access thread | See That Standard Edition Over There? You Can Upgrade It.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredrik

Taking a break from another play session. Now I’m 13 hours deep into this thing.

Absolutely love it!

Do not miss out on using melee weapons. Was fighting a terrormorph thing and was out of ammo and started using an axe. Now I’m wrecking everyone. Stealth to get close, then choppy chop with the axe. 👌

Went to the moon and stumbled into some weapon factory with higher level characters, couldn’t reach all spots because I wasn’t good enough to unlock door but found a legendary suit that was twice as good as the one I had. Found a cool helmet too that turned me into a cameleont.
Plays like a looter shooter, I’m constantly switching my gear.

Space combat is not easy… Really struggled with a main quest fight. The controls, the power distribution, it’s surprisingly complex. Eventually swapped to using controller and brute forced myself through the fight. Was probably doing the quest early, enemies at the next area are twice my level.

The Sarah woman annoys me. Kicked her out.

Jumping in soon again!
After 13 hours: 9/10

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Where are you idiots getting the idea that real time flight needs to take hours. It doesn't.
Make up your mind, then. Either you have a fictional universe with slip space drives that can take you anywhere in seconds, or you have to schlep across the galaxy at a snails pace.

This is such a dumb complaint to have about a game that clearly established that humanity is a galaxy-spanning space-faring civilisation now. How do you think they managed to colonise the galaxy? Do you understand how incomprehensibly huge of a place this is and that it wouldn't be possible without proper means of propulsion that wouldn't take decades to get anywhere? With the ability to travel across the Milky Way, going from Mars to Venus would obviously feel like walking down to a grocery store in flip-flops.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
If you have 0 interest in the game, go shit on it somewhere else than the OT and let the ones who are enjoying it enjoy it.

Holy fucking shit you toxic shitbags

You're literally talking to people who are also playing the game.

Make up your mind, then. Either you have a fictional universe with slip space drives that can take you anywhere in seconds, or you have to schlep across the galaxy at a snails pace.

This is such a dumb complaint to have about a game that clearly established that humanity is a galaxy-spanning space-faring civilisation now. How do you think they managed to colonise the galaxy? Do you understand how incomprehensibly huge of a place this is and that it wouldn't be possible without proper means of propulsion that wouldn't take decades to get anywhere?

I have space powers. I'm not buying their implementation is down to the lore of the world and not because they just couldn't achieve what they set out to do.

MMaRsu

Banned
You're literally talking to people who are also playing the game.
Nothing wrong with criticism if it's realistic

"If this car was a bike it would be much better!"

Dumbass arguments like this are why the discussion isnt fun or interesting or even thoughtful.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Nothing wrong with criticism if it's realistic

"If this car was a bike it would be much better!"

Dumbass arguments like this are why the discussion isnt fun or interesting or even thoughtful.

There's nothing wrong with people wanting certain aspects of the game to have been expanded on or be better.

What's the point of having any space flight segments at all if they didn't want you to interact with the game in the space areas?

It's not too much to ask that the game could actually offer something meaningful to do in those segments or even provide the illusion of traversal.

It's not just people here who are disappointed with that aspect, it's a sentiment also repeated across reddit and the steam forums.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I have space powers. I'm not buying their implementation is down to the lore of the world and not because they just couldn't achieve what they set out to do.
In that case, I refer you back to games like Elite where you can fly from one planet to another in real time to your heart's content.

Just don't come back whining that there's nothing else to do in that game because its developer prioritised realism over fun gameplay and storytelling (unlike Bethesda who prioritised the latter).

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
There's nothing wrong with people wanting certain aspects of the game to have been expanded on or be better.

What's the point of having any space flight segments at all if they didn't want you to interact with the game in the space areas?

It's not too much to ask that the game could actually offer something meaningful to do in those segments or even provide the illusion of traversal.

It's not just people here who are disappointed with that aspect, it's a sentiment also repeated across reddit and the steam forums.

There is a lot to find and do in the space areas??

NPC's to talk with, bounties to hunt, can shoot asteroids and they blow up (i figured they would be static), people to rob if you want. Spacestations, derelict ships. Can take any ship u want

Also lol
reddit and the steam forums.

Last edited:
In that case, I refer you back to games like Elite where you can fly from one planet to another in real time to your heart's content.

Just don't come back whining again that there's nothing else to do in that game because its developer prioritised realism over fun gameplay and storytelling, like Bethesda did with Starfield.

I'm not interested in Elite. I'm interested in Starfield, unfortunately their vision of a space game is severely flawed.

GHG

Gold Member
There is a lot to find and do in the space areas??

NPC's to talk with, bounties to hunt, can shoot asteroids and they blow up (i figured they would be static), people to rob if you want. Spacestations, derelict ships.

Also lol

"lol" all you like. Different people have different opinions about what's on offer here and frankly, a lot of it is fixable to some degree.

If there's suddenly "a lot to do" in the space areas then why not include some actual traversal while doing all of that? If there's "a lot to do" in the space areas then why recommend that people simply fast travel from planet to planet instead of taking time to explore what space has to offer?

Drizzlehell

Banned
I'm not interested in Elite. I'm interested in Starfield, unfortunately their vision of a space game is severely flawed.
No, it just has a different scope. If they were to make a game with the level of realism of Elite AND fun gameplay, storytelling, and level of detail and variety of current Starfield, then it would take twice as long to make that game. It took 8 years for Elite to get to where it's at now, and it took even longer than that to make Starfield. If you wonder what would happen if Bethesda tried to make something that combines these two, look no further than Star Citizen and how great those guys have been doing with creating the "ultimate" space game.

It's not a flawed vision, it's just ridiculous to expect what you're expecting.

MMaRsu

Banned
"lol" all you like. Different people have different opinions about what's on offer here and frankly, a lot of it is fixable to some degree.

If there's suddenly "a lot to do" in the space areas then why not include some actual traversal while doing all of that? If there's "a lot to do" in the space areas then why recommend that people simply fast travel from planet to planet instead of taking time to explore what space has to offer?

They don't 'reccommend' anything.

Quick travel helps the game flow obviously. Unless you want to fly through space for hours, which you can.

MMaRsu

Banned
No, it just has a different scope. If they were to make a game with the level of realism of Elite AND fun gameplay, storytelling, and level of detail and variety of current Starfield, then it would take twice as long to make that game. It took 8 years for Elite to get to where it's at now, and it took even longer than that to make Starfield. If you wonder what would happen if Bethesda tried to make something that combines these two, look no further than Star Citizen and how great those guys have been doing with creating the "ultimate" space game.

I want a flawless universe with the graphics of Cyberpunk 2077, the total planetary flying of No Mans Sky, the docking and spaceship detail of Elite Dangerous and the entiirety of a Bethesda RPG made within that.

Also no loading screens and a totally seamless universe.

If they can't deliver on that THIS GAME SUCKS

It’s a Bethesda game in space. Not a space exploration simulator.
Again, from the official Starfield website:

“you will explore a massive open galaxy”
“you explore the field of stars”
“explore with unparalleled freedom”
“explore the stars with unparalleled freedom”

Not really, who gives a shit. It's not a fucking space sim.

Go play Elite Dangerous if you wanna dock ships to spacestations

For me, it isn’t about “docking”, it’s about having any sense of actually traveling. Imagine Skyrim, but when you click on the exit gate of Whiterun, a menu appears and you simply select your destination and are teleported there.

MMaRsu

Banned
Execpt you're not, and that's the sticking point.
Why would you even want to do that though???

Oh yeah let me just fly through space for literally hours, for literally zero reason

For me, it isn’t about “docking”, it’s about having any sense of actually traveling. Imagine Skyrim, but when you click on the exit gate of Whiterun, a menu appears and you simply select your destination and are teleported there.

Ok. I don't know what you want. How long should it take to fly from planet to planet? An hour? Five minutes? 30 minutes?

Last edited:

These are the expectations Todd and Co placed on themselves.

Obviously I know better than to believe them, but this is why I said from the start they should have went with a curated solar system and not the 1000 planets.

Drizzlehell

Banned
These are the expectations Todd and Co placed on themselves.
Says who? I don't recall them ever promising a seamless persistent universe and it was very clear to me what kind of a game it would be. I never expected this to be a life sim, but more like a Bethesda RPG set in space.

Obviously I know better than to believe them
Do you? It sounds to me like you're quite salty about something that you expected and didn't get it.

People would be so much better off if they'd have a modicum of common sense when interacting with game advertisement. That's how hype trains usually start and inevitably crash against the mountain when reality kicks in.

GHG

Gold Member
Why would you even want to do that though???

Oh yeah let me just fly through space for literally hours, for literally zero reason

And we're going round in circles.

Why would anyone want to traverse the open world in any game? Or fly across space in any space game? Because they can. Believe it or not some people enjoy the traversal/exploration aspects of larger open games. Not everyone wants to rush from objective to objective, some people just want to take in the sights and relax in the game environment.

What you're saying is akin to saying "oh yeh let me just walk around in Tamriel for hours, for literally zero reason". Well jokes on you because that's literally what millions of gamers have done and continue to do.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned

Why would anyone want to traverse the open world in any game? Or fly across space in any space game? Because they can, believe it or not some people enjoy the traversal/exploration aspects of larger open games. Not everyone wants to rush from objective to objective, some people just want to take in the sights and relax in the game environment.

What you're saying is akin to saying "oh yeh let me just walk around in Tamriel for hours, for literally zero reason". Well jokes on you because that's literally what millions of gamers have done and continue to do.

No, what I'm saying is the most interesting content is on the planets. Go explore those, there is so much to see and do.

The space part has interesting encounters, but it's not interesting enough to fly around in for literally hours.

SPACE IS BIG AND EMPTY BIG FUCKING SURPRISE

I don't know why people expecting space arcade NMS shit. Thats not what this is and was never presented as such.

Says who? I don't recall them ever promising a seamless persistent universe and it was very clear to me what kind of a game it would be. I never expected this to be a life sim, but more like a Bethesda RPG set in space.

Do you? It sounds to me like you're quite salty about something that you expected and didn't get it.

People would be so much better off if they'd have a modicum of common sense when interacting with game advertisement. That's how hype trains usually start and inevitably crash against the mountain when reality kicks in.

Discussing poorly designed features isn't being salty.

As far as expectations go, the guy above just listed their marketing on the website.

And i'm not expecting a seamless universe. I just didn't expect their implementation of space to just be a small loading box after they dedicated a portion of their big gameplay reveal for it

Last edited:
not gonna lie the amount of loading screens is silly. not went back to space yet or tried flying in the planet atmosphere (if you can even do that). please don't tell me i need to fast travel to different locations on a planet?

Tbh the thing I would enjoy is to be able to manually take off and land in my ship, even if there were restrictions on it. The idea of seamlessly travelling from planet to planet whilst seems ideal in imagination, just wouldn’t work practically from a realism or technical perspective.

MMaRsu

Banned
not gonna lie the amount of loading screens is silly. not went back to space yet or tried flying in the planet atmosphere (if you can even do that). please don't tell me i need to fast travel to different locations on a planet?
??

They confirmed two years ago there is no atmosphere flight.

You can fly using your hand scanner if you don't want to use the space map.

You don't NEED to do anything.

Gudji

Kenan Thompson Popcorn GIF by Saturday Night Live

GHG

Gold Member
No, what I'm saying is the most interesting content is on the planets. Go explore those, there is so much to see and do.

The space part has interesting encounters, but it's not interesting enough to fly around in for literally hours.

SPACE IS BIG AND EMPTY BIG FUCKING SURPRISE

I don't know why people expecting space arcade NMS shit. Thats not what this is and was never presented as such.

You can't go from saying there's lots to do in space to it's empty and there would be nothing to do (paraphrasing here).

Countrysides and forests are also big and empty, especially so when traversing on foot. Doesn't stop people from walking around in those environments in games and enjoying it.

It doesn't need to be "arcade" in the sense that NMS is (or even everspace) or "sim" in the case of Everspace. There is a middle ground. In the same way that if people want to walk/ride around for hours on end in games like Skyrim/RDR2 while traversing then people should be able to fly around for hours on end in Starfield while traversing.

This isn't some binary concept. The inclusion of space travel and exploration would not remove or negate the existing menu based system that the game is currently funnelling every player through.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
It looks great considering the scale is mind-blowing, it's hard to get your head around how much there is to do.
Oh yeah its insane. I made it to Cydonia last night after doing a bunch of side stuff first. Insane how big it all is.
Really can’t explain how much more I’m enjoying now I’ve been using the scan function whilst flying. Realised I could dock with a seemingly abandoned ship which led to a really cool side quest. This game is just eating my time d as me I love it.

I don’t really care to much about review scores as I often enjoy games which get universally panned by critics but the idea that credible outlets would give this game a 7 is just laughable.

Anyway, not to dwell on that, really enjoying it so far. Loving the varied locations, customisation, music, characters… it’s a joy to play.
Yeah the scan function makes the space flying a lot more fun to discover things

MMaRsu

Banned
You can't go from saying there's lots to do in space to it's empty and there would be nothing to do.
Well there is a lot to find now. If you put stuff in there that takes ages to fly to, who is gonna find it?

The inclusion of space travel and exploration would not remove or negate the existing menu based system that the game is currently funnelling every player through.

Right, the choice would be nice. And after 3 times everybody would use the fast travel system because they realize they are literally wasting their time.

The discovery part is on planets, walk where you want. Land where you want, points of interests are there.

You can't go from saying there's lots to do in space to it's empty and there would be nothing to do (paraphrasing here).

Countrysides and forests are also big and empty, especially so when traversing on foot. Doesn't stop people from walking around in those environments in games and enjoying it.

It doesn't need to be "arcade" in the sense that NMS is (or even everspace) or "sim" in the case of Everspace. There is a middle ground. In the same way that if people want to walk/ride around for hours on end in games like Skyrim/RDR2 while traversing then people should be able to fly around for hours on end in Starfield while traversing.

This isn't some binary concept. The inclusion of space travel and exploration would not remove or negate the existing menu based system that the game is currently funnelling every player through.
Difference is, walking through a forest or countryside there is wildlife, landmarks, geographical features etc. Space is, space. It’s a vast expanse of emptiness from one system / planet to the next. It doesn’t have the same kind of joy of exploration as a beautiful countryside like Skyrim

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I just googled, it seems there are like 24 artifacts to collect in the game,

I have collected 2 so far (3 if you count the one before you join the team) after 20+ hours of gameplay with lots of side quests. This is crazy, no wonder they say you can play over 100 hours and just barely scratch the surface.

I can see why some fans who can’t play this game, are so nervous over this game now

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Oh yeah its insane. I made it to Cydonia last night after doing a bunch of side stuff first. Insane how big it all is.

Yeah the scan function makes the space flying a lot more fun to discover things
Ohhhh shit wait there’s also akila city and Neon city too. I am putting them on hold to return to the main quest.

When i was at Cydonia, I got recruited to track down a miner who went missing with some goods. Tracked him down to a local bar and he apologized and bring me to go get the goods. Brought me outside to his spaceship and threaten to kill me, but i successfully persuaded him to surrender, which he did and got thrown in jail

MMaRsu

Banned
Ohhhh shit wait there’s also akila city and Neon city too. I am putting them on hold to return to the main quest.

When i was at Cydonia, I got recruited to track down a miner who went missing with some goods. Tracked him down to a local bar and he apologized and bring me to go get the goods. Brought me outside to his spaceship and threaten to kill me, but i successfully persuaded him to surrender, which he did and got thrown in jail
Dude I cant wait till I get to Neon haha

LostDonkey

Tbh the thing I would enjoy is to be able to manually take off and land in my ship, even if there were restrictions on it. The idea of seamlessly travelling from planet to planet whilst seems ideal in imagination, just wouldn’t work practically from a realism or technical perspective.

You can do it in Star Citizen. You CAN do it but it takes 15 minutes just to get out of some planets atmosphere. That's all well and good in a space "SIM" but in something like Starfield I don't think it would work.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I mean people who don't plan on playing Starfield can bitch about the planets not being fully explorable all they want. In the meantime I'm going to be raiding big spaceships and taking everything from their cargo holds and then blowing up the spacecraft afterward if I can't take it over and sell it for credits.

And that isn't even part of the main game. Some stuff you'll have to come back to later until you get better gear to deal with stuff since I've run into a Derelict Ship that has radiated areas in the ship.

If you want the whole space travel immersion thing you can always play Starlink.

schuey7

So I've now sunk 6.5 hrs into this and am slowly getting into the feel of the game. The game has so many things to do and I'm just pursuing the main quest for now. I'm planning to ignore the crafting for later as I'm getting great loot right now.

I think they should have explained some basic things like storage with your companions and in your spaceship better. I've seen some quick tips online and I'm fine but I can see it being frustrating for a lot of people when they get their hands on it.

Even I had to look up assigning items to the dpad as it wasn't explained.

Anyway seems like I'm complaining a lot but really I'm loving the game right now.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned

Why would anyone want to traverse the open world in any game? Or fly across space in any space game? Because they can. Believe it or not some people enjoy the traversal/exploration aspects of larger open games. Not everyone wants to rush from objective to objective, some people just want to take in the sights and relax in the game environment.

I see where you're coming from and I would also see it as more of a problem if the way that it's presented in the game was at odds with that world's internal logic.

There are really only one of few ways in which you could approach space exploration in your video game. Either make the scale unrealistic so that the player could travel between stellar bodies quickly (a'la No Man's Sky), or come up with some sort of a technobabble solution to let the player fly faster from place to place. Like supercruise in Elite, or highways and stargates in X-series. Starfield's approach is logical because it clearly establishes that there are only two possible means of propulsion, which are rockets and subspace folding warp drives. There is no in-between so flying around on rocket boosters will get you nowhere due to immense distances between planets and star systems, and the only reason to fly around like that is when you're engaged in dogfights or investigating a specific point of interest.

And yeah, this is definitely a deliberate design choice that was dictated by engine limitations but, eh, who cares? I mean, space is mostly empty. It's so empty that there aren't even enough particles in it to carry sound or heat. It's logical to assume that anyone who wants to get anywhere in that kind of environment, would simply use a slipspace drive to get there faster so it's not a big deal. It's perfectly explainable within the lore and that's why you can suspend your disbelief.

With that kind of explanation I honestly can't imagine what else you could put in space other than what's already possible to do there to make it more engaging. I mean, you can fly over to other ships and hail them, dock with them, fight them, etc. You can loot random wreckage if you happen upon it. There are space stations that you can dock with too, and most of them look pretty cool from the inside. It's cool that you can scan the planet from orbit and then land on a random spot to complete the survey and find points of interest on the surface. I mean, there's really plenty to do in the game if you just want to randomly explore the galaxy.

Is it a perfect illusion? Nah, I don't think that it's air-tight, but it is good enough to hook me in to the point where an entire day flies by and I don't even realise it until the sun comes down and I get hungry, lol.

Last edited:

Connxtion

Ok so I wanted to test the space (tile) size and to be honest I can’t find it as I flew for 2 and a half hours yes that long towards Ariel (Uranus moon) 1KM is 5 seconds at 150 speed.

Yes we do get closer and the body takes up more of the screen as we get closer. Also stuff surrounding us will eventually vanish out of our view range. When you reach 0 M you just fly through the moon 😂🙈 into space.

So in theory we could fly to planets, (obviously we can’t as it would take lifetimes, planets etc.. are light years away and well 1500 KM takes 125 minutes to travel. A light year is 9460730472580 KM 😂work that out 😬 even 9850 KM would take 13/14 hours to fly to)

So yeah, we can fly away and towards body’s that we fly to.

I mean I don’t want to have to fly for another 2 and a half hours when I can hit a button and am there instantly 😁

Anyways some pictures of me getting closer to the moon over time & a video of the finally 😂.

Edit: spelling

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom