• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield Early Access thread | See That Standard Edition Over There? You Can Upgrade It.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Question about the persuasion system for those who know(so I can be ready when the game officially releases):

How exactly does it work in this game specifically and how can you tell if there's a chance of success or failure? Have they reduced persuasion to a pure diceroll, or is there more to the '+1, +2, +3' that I'm not seeing?

On the bottom you can see how many bars you need to fill up to succeed the persuasion, and how many tries you have to complete the bars.

I am assuming +1 has higher success rate but only fill up 1 bar, while +4 has lower success rate but fill up 4 bars.

Don't understand how to board ships other than in one mission.
I target their engines, because a load screen tip (I think) said you can board them when their engines are down. Other then doing damage and eventually blowing the ship up, nothing happens...can't hail, can't board...what am I missing?
I havent done that yet. Did you hit A to select it? I was stupidly trying to dock at a space station manually for like 10 min. All I should have done was hit A then a prompt pops up to dock with X. Not sure if boarding is the same.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
First, scroll through all available pins. When you click on a pin, rings where it fits will be highlighted blue. So if you have a pin that only fits in the most outer ring, you know that's the one you need to start with. Other than that it's aligning them before you actually click to see how they fit and visualizing it in your head. I already have a master picklock skill.

Good place to practice is bank vault in Akila city!

I like the lockpicking mini-game, at least they did something different than the Fallout 3 system, which so many games have co-opted.

Got to a zero G area finally. Cool lighting.

The lighting in the game can be very good, makes sense cause they talked it up a lot before release.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
On the bottom you can see how many bars you need to fill up to succeed the persuasion, and how many tries you have to complete the bars.

I am assuming +1 has higher success rate but only fill up 1 bar, while +4 has lower success rate but fill up 4 bars.

Yeah that’s exactly how it works. Green = high chance of success. Red = low chance. You can also roll critical success and persuade them in one try. Not sure if critical failure is possible, didn’t happen to me yet.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I like the lockpicking mini-game, at least they did something different than the Fallout 3 system, which so many games have co-opted.

I’m kind of sad that this old mini game is gone. I kind of wish it would be there for older, “analog” locks but I guess they were worried about having too many systems in place. Also, no computer hacking. 🥲

Last edited:

naguanatak

I havent done that yet. Did you hit A to select it? I was stupidly trying to dock at a space station manually for like 10 min. All I should have done was hit A then a prompt pops up to dock with X. Not sure if boarding is the same.
Yes, I selected it and have the skill to manually target the different parts so I can take down the engine.

Edit: some really strange things happening. My character doesn't wear a helmet anymore. Taking off the suit & helmet on a planet with -76° and zero o2 does nothing... Don't know what to do but even older save files do not work normal anymore

Last edited:
Does anyone know how to perform a "Sneak Attack"? I have a point in Stealth, and whenever I get close behind an enemy I never get any options to sneak attack. I tried suppressed pistols and melee knives. And he just attacks and then they turn around and shoot me. How do you actually perform a sneak attack? It's infuriating.

Yo I know it’s early but are there any fully unique weapons in this game?

Like the dawnbreaker, mace of molag bol etc im skyrim? The starfield wiki and IGN unique weapons list seem to just be slightly modified reskins from what I can tell

Does anyone know how to perform a "Sneak Attack"? I have a point in Stealth, and whenever I get close behind an enemy I never get any options to sneak attack. I tried suppressed pistols and melee knives. And he just attacks and then they turn around and shoot me. How do you actually perform a sneak attack? It's infuriating.
I got 1. Just managed to chop a guy with my axe once. No special animation but I got a damage boost and text popped up saying that. Not sure if guns count. Enemies are 1000x more alert in this game than previous Bethesda titles. Stealth is difficult.

EDMIX

Its still a day 1 and I'm hype for everyone enjoying the game, the leaks and the reviews didn't stop me from getting it, but 100% effected me playing $99 for the version that had early access.

I except what this game is as a Fallout and Elder Scrolls fan, folks need to really understand this......we like this concept not based on how it looks or it being 100% seamless or some shit (you literally have loading in Fallout 4 btw and in Skyrim a mod aka Open City Mod existed to remove loading when you went to city gates) so....for must of us this is a none issue and we know it doesn't look "next gen", shit this game literally looks like a PS4 game around launch, but folks need to get this......we don't fucking care.

So I hope many of you one day get it about Bethesda's concepts, they are not out here winning "best looking" anything BUT they have the functions, they have the design, they have the concept and I feel maybe that is a focus many are lacking and ignoring.

So the ability to join guilds, factions, go to space, build ships, dog fight, board ships you wrecked to kill the crew and even steal the ship is already more then any other single player AAA game is doing in this setting.

Saying that "oh yea, its a Bethesda game" solidifies it as a day 1 for many of us. We love their works, NPCs and how they interact, look at the issues with this game, look at the bugs, look at how dated it is.

Maybe some of you should really start to question why we are sooooooo hype for this even after what i just stated. How many games are so fucking good with design, you are willing to overlook something like that? Odd to say yes, but I don't really know of much developers that do a concept so well, fans are willing to forgive dated looks or something. This really one of the few developers we can really go to for this core concept, if anyone knows a game that is number 2 to Starfield doing the exact thing, I'd love to know lol

A sneak attack is just a damage multiplier to your first attack, like in the Fallout games. It's not an instant takedown animation or anything like that. In order for it to proc, the top of the screen has to say Hidden. If it's in Caution, it'll just be a regular attack.

naguanatak

Its still a day 1 and I'm hype for everyone enjoying the game, the leaks and the reviews didn't stop me from getting it, but 100% effected me playing $99 for the version that had early access.

I except what this game is as a Fallout and Elder Scrolls fan, folks need to really understand this......we like this concept not based on how it looks or it being 100% seamless or some shit (you literally have loading in Fallout 4 btw and in Skyrim a mod aka Open City Mod existed to remove loading when you went to city gates) so....for must of us this is a none issue and we know it doesn't look "next gen", shit this game literally looks like a PS4 game around launch, but folks need to get this......we don't fucking care.

So I hope many of you one day get it about Bethesda's concepts, they are not out here winning "best looking" anything BUT they have the functions, they have the design, they have the concept and I feel maybe that is a focus many are lacking and ignoring.

So the ability to join guilds, factions, go to space, build ships, dog fight, board ships you wrecked to kill the crew and even steal the ship is already more then any other single player AAA game is doing in this setting.

Saying that "oh yea, its a Bethesda game" solidifies it as a day 1 for many of us. We love their works, NPCs and how they interact, look at the issues with this game, look at the bugs, look at how dated it is.

Maybe some of you should really start to question why we are sooooooo hype for this even after what i just stated. How many games are so fucking good with design, you are willing to overlook something like that? Odd to say yes, but I don't really know of much developers that do a concept so well, fans are willing to forgive dated looks or something. This really one of the few developers we can really go to for this core concept, if anyone knows a game that is number 2 to Starfield doing the exact thing, I'd love to know lol
I agree with your post...but on the other hand, there are people not understanding this. And that is fine, too. They laugh about the tree textures in New Atlantis, about the silly animation and rigid dialogue system. They scoff at the design of these titles.
And they will tell you all about how this is a game not fit for release in 2023. Let them. And then go play some Starfield and enjoy.
If more people would do that, they could scream all they want, into empty rooms...and then go play something else with higher fidelity textures and lifelike animations if they so please :messenger_winking:
For me, it's mostly about the feeling I get when playing a game. I don't care about immersion for example which is all the rage nowadays. It's like with women...some men have a type. I don't care about one specific thing. The sum of all the parts have to evoke a feeling in me.
And Starfield is doing that better than almost any game in the last few years... So it's climbing into my (very flexible) top ten right now...let's see if it stays in there and where it lands. :messenger_peace:

Last edited:

TrueGrime

Once I figured out that you can navigate in space by hitting the scanner/lb my enjoyment increased exponentially. I don’t know why they don’t even seem to mention this in the tutorial becsuse it’s way more immersive than popping into a menu.

Yes! The scanner makes travel exponentially better!

Ive been spending all night on this mission to flip switches in the well maze. Along the way picked up a half dozen more missions and blindly followed into the residential district of new atlantis. My sense of direction is horrible. Im never going to get the layout of this city.
But Im now level 3.
Ive mazed my way up a level.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I just randomly decided to join Vanguard, and hoooly shit, by the time I was through that whole museum walk-through, I was ready to be shipped off to lose a leg fighting for FREEDOM & CITIZENSHIP!

Denise Richards Smile GIF

GymWolf

Gold Member
This is ridiculous. Starfield reshade off vs on. What was Bethesda thinking??

a2uSfSL.jpg

reshade on
2mlYcGI.jpg
My friendo, compadre, amigo, tovarish, i need a super noob guide to do that because mine looks like shit.

I can't stress enough the super noob part, i never used reshade.
(Avoid all together to post if it is more complicate than moving a file into a folder)

Also, is the initial spaceship supposed to feel like absolute shit in combat? I feel like i'm driving a bus and getting hit or hitting enemies is just a matter of how they manouvre around me because i'm too slow to follow their movements...on very hard they mangled me without a chance to counter whatsoever.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

PureDark released the DLSS 3.0 w/frame gen support on his patreon, HOLY SHIT!!! Game looks insanely better and getting a solid 120fps no matter where I'm at. Fuck you AMD and whoever @ Bethesda/Microsoft decided to not allow this by default.

Bkdk

I have to say I’m loving the steam starfield discussion forum, way more fun to hang out around there than this game while I’m waiting for modders to fix their amateur work. MS is truly rich that they were paying a whole team of around 500 interns 100k+ yearly salary to develop this game for 8 years.

IDappa

I do not get the "it looks bad" crowd. This game is beautiful. Granted I have only (lol "only") put 7 hours in so far but I think the games is definitely not ugly.

I cannot get the word scale out of my head and thinking of the possibilities and varied experiences you can have in this world by simply just walking around the first port. Which sounds weird because I have played big games before. I do not mean scale as in big buildings either, I cannot pin point it but just walking through port with other starships landing and taking off (use your surround sound people) the crowds doing their busy work along with interesting npc conversations and just experiencing a taste of whats possible by playing the initial few quests just hits different.

In saying that, I do not even know 100 percent if I am gonna love the game. But if the first few hours of this game are meant to be shit then I can't wait to get to the "good" part of it.

Really can’t explain how much more I’m enjoying now I’ve been using the scan function whilst flying. Realised I could dock with a seemingly abandoned ship which led to a really cool side quest. This game is just eating my time d as me I love it.

I don’t really care to much about review scores as I often enjoy games which get universally panned by critics but the idea that credible outlets would give this game a 7 is just laughable.

Anyway, not to dwell on that, really enjoying it so far. Loving the varied locations, customisation, music, characters… it’s a joy to play.

Good explanation. That's how I do it as well. It is really a matter of figuring out where each pin should go before you start. I usually pick one pin and line it up and then see if any of the other pins match the remaining pattern. Then, as you say, visualize the remaining pins in the inner ring to discover if all patterns are matched there as well. Only then do I start placing them.

It's actually a pretty cool little lock pick mini game.

I found an expert lock and noped the fuck out. I'm seriously struggling with it

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

You crouch and as long as you’re hidden, every single hit (so every single bullet as well) is treated as a sneak attack. Get your hand on a scoped weapon, keep your distance and shoot. You can perform multiple shots/sneak attacks in the same encounter very easily. I maxed out stealth and I’m sneaking with silenced pistol. My favourite way to play.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm in disbelief regarding the space fast travel. I found a book that confirmed travel is meant to take seconds. Why do they even have outposts in this universe? They can mine all day in a shithole and get back home in five seconds!

Why are my objectives changed without asking? I don't give a fuck about some dude being sad about trees or whatever. Random assholes come up to me, tell me some boring shit and bam, objective updated. Between this and the main quest hopping between planets every 60 seconds, it feels like the game is on crack. The pacing is all wrong.

The first official Constellation mission is wild in that regard. You casually jump systems and then hop from planet to planet like you're checking pubs on the town square to look for your mate.

The intro segment does a good job of setting up these desolated, remote areas but it pulls the rug out from under it almost immediately by showing that traveling to New Atlantis is literally a click of a button. It doesn't cost time or resources to get there. You just do. Instantly. There's no reason anyone lives anywhere remote, because there is no remote.

You can't make space travel this huge, dangerous, time consuming endeavor and at the same time let everyone teleport literally all over the place with zero resource cost. It causes massive dissonance.

Same. It's honestly shocking to me that I heard some of the Kinda Funny guys say they were ~5, ~12, and ~20 hours in in their review. Like, there's no way in hell they've experienced even a fraction of the game, even at 20 hours.
This is the issue to be honest, if you are a game critic and you have a game of this size and with so much to to do and experience you are doing the game a disservice if you don't put in at least 60hrs. I've played 10hrs and I've done about 3 missions for crying out loud.

So far I'm getting used to some of the systems at play as it is a little overwhelming to begin with. Combat is actually really good but is a must in first person, explore in third person is fine. It's an incredible game, can't imagine how much time and effort went into creating and writing it.

Sybrix

Right off the bat, played for 3 hours, the game is a clunky mess, how they left the invetory system is this state is beyond me.

However it's for sure a Bethesda game, the exploration and finding different things is there, i'm defiantly getting the same Elder Scrolls/Fallout buzz from the exploration.

The game will be perfect in 3 months time when all the decent mods are out to fix the issues.

IDappa

Once I figured out that you can navigate in space by hitting the scanner/lb my enjoyment increased exponentially. I don’t know why they don’t even seem to mention this in the tutorial becsuse it’s way more immersive than popping into a menu.
This, me thinks people may miss this, it isn't totally clear that you can do outside of hoping back to your ship while on foot.

AJBungah

Neo Member
I noticed a XofX items when landing on Kreet this morning. Is this for the entire planet/moon or is it for just that one particular place you landed?

It depends, it will say "BIOME COMPLETE" if you have scanned all the fauna or flora in that particular type of zone so that means there are some in other biomes on the same planet/moon (depending on what you're on at the time). I think the Resources though is shared across all biomes and you just gotta find em. I think you can only scan the planet for rarer resources when you upgrade some skills though so explains why I can't find the one I'm looking for on the map.

Matt_Fox

First impressions after 5 hours play are great.

The character models and graphics are an extra couple of rungs up the ladder from Skyrim and Fallout. I did tone down the 'cinematic grain' setting to .3 and that helped sharpen things up whilst keeping a bit of the movie atmosphere. It can be amusing if you approach a character from the side, and the whole conversation unfolds with them looking over their shoulder at you!

The first few hours of a big game are always about becoming accustomed to the controls, the UI, and to some extent the fictional lore. I feel I've progressed nicely in all these and I've enjoyed playing the game too.

I've been committed to a 'full explore' playstyle and it means I'm still in the first city. Speaking to every NPC, looking in every building, doing a whole bunch of side quests. I'm progressing slowly but its very satisfying. I actually like that there's no map, Morrowind style. I'm learning the city for real, and although the Well was a bit of a maze I really feel like I know the place now (love the little Jurassic Park easter egg on the circuit breaker quest - always enjoy the little touches of humour and humanity Bethesda slip into their games).

Today I'll be going to see the Constellation gang and begin the main quest - cant wait!

Drizzlehell

Banned
The first official Constellation mission is wild in that regard. You casually jump systems and then hop from planet to planet like you're checking pubs on the town square to look for your mate.

The intro segment does a good job of setting up these desolated, remote areas but it pulls the rug out from under it almost immediately by showing that traveling to New Atlantis is literally a click of a button. It doesn't cost time or resources to get there. You just do. Instantly. There's no reason anyone lives anywhere remote, because there is no remote.

You can't make space travel this huge, dangerous, time consuming endeavor and at the same time let everyone teleport literally all over the place with zero resource cost. It causes massive dissonance.
If that's what you REALLY want, I've got the game just for you, my guy:

Or, you know, you could just sit back and enjoy the fact that it doesn't take six motherfucking hours just to fly somewhere in Starfield and if you think the story is progressing too fast then you can just take it at your own pace and actually take time to explore every space port that you visit.

If that's what you REALLY want, I've got the game just for you, my guy:

Or, you know, you could just sit back and enjoy the fact that it doesn't take six motherfucking hours just to fly somewhere in Starfield and if you think the story is progressing too fast then you can just take it at your own pace and actually take time to explore every space port that you visit.

Where are you idiots getting the idea that real time flight needs to take hours. It doesn't.

MMaRsu

Banned
You don't need to be a space sim to have a explorable galaxy that isn't just a wallpaper

Whatever who gives a shit?! Its a RPG filled to the brim with content. Like I said, go play Elite Dangerous if you want to dock ships and take 'realistic' space flights.
And then figure out there's actual no really interesting content in the game (and I like ED)

Last edited:
Whatever who gives a shit?! Its a RPG filled to the brim with content. Like I said, go play Elite Dangerous if you want to dock ships and take 'realistic' space flights.
And then figure out there's actual no really interesting content in the game

Take a breather before you burst a vein. You're in the wrong place if you were looking for a bubble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom