• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield Early Access thread | See That Standard Edition Over There? You Can Upgrade It.

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Insane how many unique quest there are in this game! Been in the city for hours just questing, crazy there's still so much more out there.

My game clock says 11~ hours and I'm still doing shit and gaining levels in New Alexandria lol.

Do i need to buy\find the jetpack if i have the perk already?

No, it's automatic.

Still trying to wrap my head around it, lol.

You gotta line up the spokes on the options on the right with the holes on the lock on the left, sometimes one of the options on the right feels like the right but you gotta look at the 'further layers' of the lock, you might lock yourself out and need to reset.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Do i need to buy\find the jetpack if i have the perk already?

There are packs that don’t have boost functionality.

This must be the game with the highest number of individual objectives ever created, right? There’s so much shit everywhere!

Last edited:

GymWolf

There are packs that don’t have boost functionality.

This must be the game with the highest number of individual objectives ever created, right? There’s so much shit everywhere!
Nani?

I have the starting backpack that kinda look like a rusty jetpack, i looked the scheme control and there is nothing about using jetpack, i tried to jump and keep pressing the jump button but nada.

I'm just 4 hours in...

Last edited:

manlisten

Nitpick of the day: The walking/running animation looks good with a spacesuit on but looks super awkward in street clothes. idk.

Yeah! Let's not do that!

Looks at literally hundreds of procedurally generated planets with the same couple POIs sprinkled over them...

Stick to handcrafted stuff.

Roam around if you want to, but it would be empty space.

Makes sense to me. They will have to make some compromises.

Topher

Gold Member
Difference is, walking through a forest or countryside there is wildlife, landmarks, geographical features etc. Space is, space. It’s a vast expanse of emptiness from one system / planet to the next. It doesn’t have the same kind of joy of exploration as a beautiful countryside like Skyrim

Everspace 2 did a pretty good job making exploration fun. Personally, I love doing the hyperdrive thing and watching the planets and stars go by as I travel to my destination. A planet that is nothing but a backdrop isn't very immersive. As things are, the act of traveling in space has very little to it. Get in ship. Launch. Point ship towards marker. Click X. And you are there. Everspace 2 works the same except for the fact that you actually see the movement to that distant destination. For me, that makes a difference. If you don't care about that then perfectly fine, but some of us were just expecting the "in space" aspect of the game to be a bit more fleshed out than it is.

timothet

Stick to handcrafted stuff.

Roam around if you want to, but it would be empty space.

Makes sense to me. They will have to make some compromises.
Even handcrafted content gets old very quick when you visit the same locations, with the same mob and loot placement over and over again.

DonJorginho

Banned
Are you playing the game? I will let someone who is playing chime in.
I've put in around 15 hours now and been to over 20 planets, I've still yet to see any copy and pasting of content and have been humbly surprised by what has been on each planet so far.

Every location has had a meaningful reason to be there and they all feel greatly unique from one another.

Ok so I wanted to test the space (tile) size and to be honest I can’t find it as I flew for 2 and a half hours yes that long towards Ariel (Uranus moon) 1KM is 5 seconds at 150 speed.

Yes we do get closer and the body takes up more of the screen as we get closer. Also stuff surrounding us will eventually vanish out of our view range. When you reach 0 M you just fly through the moon 😂🙈 into space.

So in theory we could fly to planets, (obviously we can’t as it would take lifetimes, planters etc.. are light years away and well 1500 KM takes 125 minutes to travel. A light year is 9460730472580 KM 😂work that out 😬 even 9850 KM would take 13/14 hours to fly to)

So yeah, we can fly away and towards body’s that we fly to.

I mean I don’t want to have to fly for another 2 and a half hours when I can hit a button and am there instantly 😁

Anyways some pictures of me getting closer to the moon over time & a video of the finally 😂.

This is staggering. You deserve a dessert on that desert moon.

Gudji

Follow his channel. Already saw it. Luke is very reasonable.

But am not taking any chances with this game. GameSpot in their review called it a shallow game.

A Bethesda game. Let that sink in.

If this is like Skyrim, I will do crazy ass shit and rub it in their face.
"Shallow RPG mechanics with regard to dialogue, quest solutions, and influencing outcomes"

Everspace 2 did a pretty good job making exploration fun. Personally, I love doing the hyperdrive thing and watching the planets and stars go by as I travel to my destination. A planet that is nothing but a backdrop isn't very immersive. As things are, the act of traveling in space has very little to it. Get in ship. Launch. Point ship towards marker. Click X. And you are there. Everspace 2 works the same except for the fact that you actually see the movement to that distant destination. For me, that makes a difference. If you don't care about that then perfectly fine, but some of us were just expecting the "in space" aspect of the game to be a bit more fleshed out than it is.

Don't be a dick Topher like me. Expect less be happy

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
SCrXVZZ.jpg

God damn, every area of the game has this disgusting haze filter that makes everything look washed out and gross. Areas that should be dark/black instead look gray or piss color. It's not an issue of limited vs full RGB as the menus all have true blacks, then you go into the game and it looks like above.

That's with film grain off. Auto HDR on/off makes no difference. Any mods yet for removing this shit in the PC gamepass version? (and I mean really removing it, not just adjusting the brightness/contrast to compensate for it).

SCrXVZZ.jpg

God damn, every area of the game has this disgusting haze filter that makes everything look washed out and gross. Areas that should be dark/black instead look gray or piss color. It's not an issue of limited vs full RGB as the menus all have true blacks, then you go into the game and it looks like above.

That's with film grain off. Auto HDR on/off makes no difference. Any mods yet for removing this shit in the PC gamepass version? (and I mean really removing it, not just adjusting the brightness/contrast to compensate for it).
Yes, It's my biggest complaint that everything has that everything lit with haze everywhere. Zero contrast.
It makes the game look like something that would be on the old xbox 360/ps3. Just Flat.
I hear the game does not have HDR. and the SDR is set incorrectly. I believe it.
Unfortunatly I'm playing on Series X and can't do much about it.

Deanington

Ok so I wanted to test the space (tile) size and to be honest I can’t find it as I flew for 2 and a half hours yes that long towards Ariel (Uranus moon) 1KM is 5 seconds at 150 speed.

Yes we do get closer and the body takes up more of the screen as we get closer. Also stuff surrounding us will eventually vanish out of our view range. When you reach 0 M you just fly through the moon 😂🙈 into space.

So in theory we could fly to planets, (obviously we can’t as it would take lifetimes, planters etc.. are light years away and well 1500 KM takes 125 minutes to travel. A light year is 9460730472580 KM 😂work that out 😬 even 9850 KM would take 13/14 hours to fly to)

I mean I don’t want to have to fly for another 2 and a half hours when I can hit a button and am there instantly 😁

Anyways some pictures of me getting closer to the moon over time & a video of the finally 😂.

Well god damn.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
They weren't lying that this just gets better and better.

I got some trade missions and all ready had crazy shit going on. Flew to a planet...entire quest line opens up with something else...

I guess, I've always played these games as a heavy charm, conversation character so I'm absolutely in my element here.

Did one wipe out a spacer mission on a random planet and it was intense as fook.

Game is incredible. Like genuinely amazing.

schaft0620

Anyone else having the phantom Nav point problem where you continue to have a blue nav point over your ship that won't go away?

Drizzlehell

Banned

Answering the real questions here. You're doing a great service, sir.

Topher

Gold Member

You are unparalleled in being a dick, my friend. That's what Banjo64 Banjo64 told me anyway.

It doesn't need to be as intricate as SC. Just do it like NMS

Everspace 2 does it pretty simply and to me it makes a difference. Even with loading screens and lack of flying down the planet, this is more immersive and adds to the feel of exploration.

Timestamped:

Drizzlehell

Banned
By the way, I've been wandering on the surface of Venus just now and suddenly heard several loud explosions somewhere around me, and the ground shook hard enough for my character to stumble with each bang. Has anyone else got this? What was that all about? Some kind of an earthquake or something, or is there like a Dune worm lurking beneath the surface, lol

Sybrix

I am enjoying it, i like the gun play and the new setting and i will continue to play.........however i think everyone needs to be honest with themselves, it isnt what we thought.

Aside from the issues with the game that at this point are well documented, essestinally your fast travelling from town to town, outpost to outpost.... the space travel element is only via cut scene, you blast off custscene from a planet, your in space to then fast travel again to your destination and your there.

The joy of Skyrim and Fallout is the travel between destinations and discovering everything in between, Starfield seems to have condensed that into town/city/outpost specific areas which is frankly insane to me.

It makes no sense.

Topher

Gold Member

Good to know that you actually do get closer to the planet or moon. However, there is a middle ground between flying for hours and instant travel. If I grav drive past that moon then why shouldn't I see it go by? Unless I am going into space for combat I might as well just fast travel from one planet to another without even having to launch my ship into space. Just fire up the space map and click where you want to go.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Gamer amnesia is a hell of a thing. Since it was a mere few days ago that most if not all of these very same people, were a part of the hype train expecting and posting things far more than what was recieved.

Now? Those hundreds of posts conveniently forgotten about, in mere hours and days, like a droid memory wipe; that this was supposedly their expectations met to the T.

If you can mine copium in this game, they would only need to mod a plugin to this very forum for a healthy vein source.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
SCrXVZZ.jpg

Truth.

SlimySnake SlimySnake Also made a post about some visual features so, its clear some visual features I will turn off the moment I start playing lol

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
They weren't lying that this just gets better and better.

I got some trade missions and all ready had crazy shit going on. Flew to a planet...entire quest line opens up with something else...

I guess, I've always played these games as a heavy charm, conversation character so I'm absolutely in my element here.

Did one wipe out a spacer mission on a random planet and it was intense as fook.

Game is incredible. Like genuinely amazing.

GOTY is shaping up to be a 3 way fight between Baldur's Gate 3, Starfield and TOTK

Still gotta see how Mario Bros Wonders perform

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom