• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Storm of the decade" to hit NorCal on Thurs w/ hurricane force winds in Sierra mtns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I walked 15 minutes in the pouring rain this morning (and got totally drenched) in order to catch a bus to work. A few minutes before I left my apartment the power in our entire neighborhood went out. When I got into the office I realized that 99% of people decided to stay home, so I'm one of, like, 10 people physically at the office.

And all of this because of a little rain?!! As an ex-New Yorker who lived through Hurricane Sandy I'm pretty bewildered. Pull it together, Bay Area.

studyguy

This article I saw off to the side of that one sets up quite the game of dominos too.

I hate to sound excited about it but it's fascinating when things start to pull out of a lull and create multiple possibilities for a chain reaction. I can't help but to imagine meteorologists taking side bets for some of these things - not that you want bad things to happen but it's a horse race you can't fix. You can only attempt to predict and inform.

I would like to bet on the side that brings us back to a normal weather pattern, but the past two years have been brutal. Cross your fingers and hope for the best.

I walked 15 minutes in the pouring rain this morning (and got totally drenched) in order to catch a bus to work. A few minutes before I left my apartment the power in our entire neighborhood went out. When I got into the office I realized that 99% of people decided to stay home, so I'm one of, like, 10 people physically at the office.

And all of this because of a little rain?!! As an ex-New Yorker who lived through Hurricane Sandy I'm pretty bewildered. Pull it together, Bay Area.

As has been posted multiple times, the infrastructure doesn't handle more than 2-3 inches a day well because it so rarely happens.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
And all of this because of a little rain?!!

Yup, just a bit of rain!

B4l8fYiCQAAQuZU.jpg

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Just a little rain, totally overblown. Everyone should be going to school or work obviously. Never mind what the road conditions are like.

aly

This was quite tame compared to some storms I worried about in Arkansas. Yeah the lights went off for about an hour, but meh.The flooding really sucks though and now I have to pick up people who can't take the Bart home.

Syriel

As has been posted multiple times, the infrastructure doesn't handle more than 2-3 inches a day well because it so rarely happens.

And SF got an inch last night according to the news on SF Gate.

If our City can't handle an inch of rain, than the infrastructure isn't just poorly designed. It's utter crap.

God damnit East Coast/Mid West people do you not understand infrastural differences?

If our City can't handle an inch of rain, than the infrastructure isn't just poorly designed. It's utter crap.

Good luck getting the city to upgrade.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
God damnit East Coast/Mid West people do you not understand infrastural differences?

I'm trying to find the pic online of what the Bay Area looked like before the Gold Rush. A LOT of land was added, meaning that the Bay used to be a lot bigger and now, a lot of that can easily flood. Knowing that the Everglades are in Florida, it's no surprise when a lot of places around swampy grounds can easily flood.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Oh I know. Like I pointed out in the other thread, it amazes me that a City with a billion+ budget never invests in below ground infrastructure.

Likely because costs would be astronomical due to all the additional seismic/geological studies and work that would be needed due to this being earthquake country. So they plan for average storms for the area, meaning any larger storms that happen only a few times every decade overwhelm the system.

otapnam

not too bad in union city right now. just hope it aint crazy when my wife tries to get home from the south bay tonight

studyguy

Fresno floods any time theres more than .25 inches of rain

Thats 1/4 of an inch

I dont understand the science behind it

You guys live in what is basically a huge swath of flat ass land already below sea level.
When the state sinks into the ocean, Fresno and Bakersfield are going to be just a huge rift in the ocean.
Also I feel like most of the infrastructure in the central valley is old as fuck.

Pandacon

I've lived in SF for over 20 years now, so getting just an inch of rain really doesn't seem like a big deal to me, but I guess rain has been light in the last few years, so a lot of newer people probably aren't use to it....

Snake

A fair amount of wind and a bit of rain here at the San Francisco/Daly City border. It wasn't pleasant, but nor was it even nearly the worst wind I've experienced this year.

They closed because it was raining.

Ya, it's kinda crazy. My daughter's school is shutting down early to ensure that the teachers can get to their kids in time in case of power outage, flooding or traffic. They also canceled Santa visiting too. My wife just said screw it and stayed home with the kids.

Verger

Banned
Well, the heavy rain started just as the morning commute was getting underway so people stayed home because of that (though they were thinking the heavy rain was going to last a few hours like was predicted, not just 20-30 minutes as what ended up being), and then the Financial District and lots of SF lost power so they stayed home from that.

But still, I don't think there was anywhere near to the wind they were predicting.

Saw some videos on snapchat of flooding on 85 and 101 already.

Power went out my office, good thing I'm working from home.

Here in San Jose it's pouring hard. Not too windy though. I think the worst is supposed to come later in the afternoon.

gcubed

Supposed to have a holiday dinner at A16 near the marina tonight... I'm hoping it's still not fucked trying to get in from the coast around 5/6. The rain here is still coming down pretty good

You live in HMB? Awesome-my family and I go there on the weekends to hit up Raman's Chai.

Yea, moved out here a few months ago. So far so good, we will see how bad the fog is during the summer. Drive past Ramans every day but never stopped in, any good?

Verger

Banned
That said, it has been raining pretty consistently here too. Haven't had any letup at all for several hours now

Dalek

Supposed to have a holiday dinner at A16 near the marina tonight... I'm hoping it's still not fucked trying to get in from the coast around 5/6. The rain here is still coming down pretty good

Yea, moved out here a few months ago. So far so good, we will see how bad the fog is during the summer. Drive past Ramans every day but never stopped in, any good?

Dude. it's the greatest. Seriously. I can't believe you'd lived there and never sampled. It's an institution.

Checked weather.com before heading to bed last night and it said heavy rain was expected here from 8 AM til 2 PM. But it's not even noon and the rain has pretty much already stopped aside from a drizzle here and there.

Disappoint-ton indeed.

yayaba

That said, it has been raining pretty consistently here too. Haven't had any letup at all for several hours now

Yeah at this point it looks like it's just going to rain steady until tomorrow morning. The weather radars don't show any sign of it letting up anytime soon.

This ain't sports, folks, don't try "calling" the storm before it's over.

That being said, if it ends up being less bad than expected, let us have our snow day, East Coast :p

AcridMeat

Banned
Well the roads were clear this morning driving down 101s towards Marin. I'm scared I won't be able to get home tonight because it was already starting to flood. Will be fucking PISSED if I went to work today only to be stuck down here.
Yeah you're screwed. Rain hasn't stopped in Marin since it started around 2-3am.

And yeah, people jumping on it this morning like it's already over what...

Yeah you're screwed. Rain hasn't stopped in Marin since it started around 2-3am.

Yup. There was actually no traffic on the way to work this morning supposedly. I didn't go despite that because I didn't want to get stuck there once the 101 gets flooded. South Bay is congested enough without rain, it's going to be hell tonight lol.

Verger

Banned

It sorta felt over because the initial "band" of super heavy rain that came through around 7-8am was past in 20 minutes and there wasn't anything appearing on the radar behind it as strong. NWS also lifted a lot of their alert warnings after it had passed.

But I suppose we shouldn't take radar imagery for granted. Or without knowing just how accurate the scans are from off the coast.

Guevara

Seems normal (if rainy) here in Lower Pac Heights today but PG&E is saying power's out all over my neighborhood. The benefit of living a little up a hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom