• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Storm of the decade" to hit NorCal on Thurs w/ hurricane force winds in Sierra mtns

Status
Not open for further replies.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
this should be fun. hope the snow line is where early reports are pinging it, i really dont want to get burried in the white stuff just yet...

Rizific

fresno here, supposed to be heading to oakland for our company xmas party on friday. the hotel i booked is non refundable. you think this storm will effect me from getting there?

Azulsky

There is only 1 warning in that entire list and half of the list basically says dont be out on the water. The rest of it is typical thunderstorm stuff.

These few big storms don't make up for the months and years of drought weather. It's a good boost but it's hard for the ground to absorb so much water in such a short amount of time, hence the flash flood warnings.

I laugh at those running around with their heads cut off. **native Floridian**

Joke's on you, you're a Floridian.

Nothing happening down in Menlo Park.

Repost from other thread:

Yeah, it is weird . . . I've got all sorts of texts & emails about how this is supposed to be a really big storm. Big storms are pretty rare around here so when they do happen, all sorts of trees which have never been stressed much go down, drop branches, dump leaves, etc. All that debris then plugs up storm drain systems. Then comes flooding. And possibly mudslides because the land has not really had much moisture in years. It is not a matter of just people not being prepared . . . it is the trees, vegetation, and land that can't handle it.

So, make sure your local storm drains are ready. Keep an eye on little creeks which are dry most of the time but will now be filled with water and will often jam up at bridges . . . that causes a lot of flooding.

In that 1998 storm, I got close to being flooded at a previous house. Basement flooded a little bit but was under control and not much down there. But all the nicely placed decorative bark chips I put down floated gently away.

xbhaskarx

I work in a hardware store and we've had runs on EVERYTHING. Tarps, ropes, candles, lanterns, flashlights, batteries, etc. All gone in a flash

Would you say it's time for everyone to panic?

Yes I would, Kent.

hthevigilante1.png

DiegoXJ

Figures, of course I happen to be working on Pier 39 tomorrow morning, and will be parked right on the end of the pier...

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
What's falling now is just the minor stuff ahead of the storm, the main part will hit the North Bay around midnight.

aly

West Contra Costa school district is apparently closed, so I guess my family is staying home tomorrow.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The Russian river, Napa river, and upper Sacramento river are all expected to flood at some point tomorrow. Reports are saying over 30 feet.

I planned on doing yard work sometime this week; however, with this storm, maybe it'll blow all the dead leaves off my lawn, lol.

Got off of work and it was just pouring. Very windy as well. It died down a bit and is just raining now. I talked to my mom and she said Redding was getting hit hard about an hour ago. So we'll see how strong this storm is here soon.
wtzgU.gif

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Up in Santa Rosa its been off and on since about 4ish. Super intense.. then 20 minutes later nothing.

Kinda nervous about my systems being powered up since I don't have UPS. Also I'm preparing for an EPIC jog around the lake tomorrow at peak storming hour.

I'm skeptical of how strong this storm is actually going to be. Even if it isn't a storm, I still hate rain despite the fact that we need it. It seems to have magic powers that make people forget all their ability to drive -_-

bounchfx

I'm looking at TWC online, and its like... it looks like the storm is already 60% past us? Am I seeing the map wrong? maybe the radar only goes out like.. 200 miles or something? At the current rate the storm will be over by 4am.

Cheska

Well, luckily I only work about 10 minutes away and I can bringing my dogs to work with me, so one less thing to worry about tomorrow. Cats will be safely inside, and our tortoise is inside his shed enclosure. Hope the power doesn't go out! :(

Lumyst

Nothing yet here in Eastern Sacramento. I remember the last notable storm, roof shingles blew off, trees fell, fences came down. But my house was okay, so I wonder how it'll fare this time. Good luck Sac Gaf :p Oh, and we say Sacramento is part of the Valley. Hell, it's even in the Sacramento Valley, haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom