• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Falls In - Updated Cast/Characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

bro1

Banned
Who is the target audience for this film? Suicide Squad is barely B List and none of the characters outside of Joker are known outside of comicdom.

Flash, Hawkman, Superman, Batman, WonderWoman, Green Lantern, even Martian Manhunter I get but this...

ezekial45

Banned
Who is the target audience for this film? Suicide Squad is barely B List and none of the characters outside of Joker are known outside of comicdom.

Flash, Hawkman, Superman, Batman, WonderWoman, Green Lantern, even Martian Manhunter I get but this...
It's a world expansion movie coming after BvS. It's pretty much DC's equivalent to Guardians of the Galaxy, which also had some comparitelvly unknown characters as leads. Once the audience sees the Joker and the real to the cast, they'll be interested.

The only Deadshot I'll ever recognise...

vOTpTLI.jpg

I am looking forward to this though, really interested to see Leto's Joker.

I think you underestimate Harley Quinn.

And Deadshot and Deathstroke are more recognized thanks to Arrow now.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

See: Guardians of the Galaxy. People don't need to be familiar with characters to put them on screen. Also Harley Quinn is hella popular.

Sheroking

Ignoring that Joker is bigger than every character on that list not named Batman and Superman, Harley Quinn is definitely a more popular character than friggin' Hawkman or Martian Manhunter.

Hell, Deadshot is a more popular character than Hawkman.

Penguin

I imagine it's for an older crowd

It will probably be seen for Warner as their Fast and the Furious/Ocean's 11/Dirty Dozen type film.

And it has decent star power, for what that's worth these days

bro1

Banned
See: Guardians of the Galaxy. People don't need to be familiar with characters to put them on screen. Also Harley Quinn is hella popular.

I'll give you Guardians but Harley Quinn is only big with people who watched BTAS or played the games. Your run of the mill person is not going to have a clue who she is.

As for Deadshot, I don't know man.

This movie is going to bomb hard.

Penguin

I'll give you Guardians but Harley Quinn is only big with people who watched BTAS or played the games. Your run of the mill person is not going to have a clue who she is.

And The Joker?

BadAss2961

Outside of the MIB and Badboys, I don't seem him sticking around for future DC films. Does anybody know if he's on for a multi picture deal?
Will needs a big hit. He hasn't had one in awhile, this could be it. Assuming it is, I don't see why he wouldn't stick around. Especially if he gets to tussle with Batman at some point.

munchie64

Have you seen what Marvel's been doing since 2008? Character recognition doesn't matter all that much.

justjohn

Finally a superhero movie with a main black character. Can't wait. Not a fan of Will's recent movie choices but hopefully he gets this one right.

His last good movie imo was Enemy of the state.

deadlast

Finally a superhero movie with a main black character. Can't wait. Not a fan of Will's recent movie choices but hopefully he gets this one right.

I really liked him in ali and that other superhero movie he did.

I'm not sure if having that many characters is good for a movie. It's too hard to focus on the story.

If the last fee years of comic movies have taught me anything, it's that it doesn't matter which characters you use, make a good movie and the audience will follow.

Busty

Banned
Outside of the MIB and Badboys, I don't seem him sticking around for future DC films. Does anybody know if he's on for a multi picture deal?

I can't imagine a situation where Warners don't have him on a multi picture (SS sequels and maybe a spin off?) deal just like everyone else on the cast.

It was reported that the reason Ryan Gosling passed on the project is because he didn't want to sign a multi picture deal.

Sheroking

outside of Guardians, all of Marvel's films have had huge headliners.

This just isn't true.

Until they got Spider-Man back, Marvel didn't even have a character as widely known and popular as The Joker that they could use for film.

NastyBook

I can't imagine a situation where Warners don't have him on a multi picture (SS sequels and maybe a spin off?) deal just like everyone else on the cast.

It was reported that the reason Ryan Gosling passed on the project is because he didn't want to sign a multi picture deal.
Cool, hopefully this'll work out for him. Also didn't know that everybody else signed on for multi picture deals too, so that's good news.

Parch

Villains are infinitely more interesting than boy scout capes. Suicide Squad should make for a cool movie. I'm optimistic.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
People saying this is going to bomb? PLEASE. After BvS destroys the BO, audiences will see this cool ass trailer with the Joker and Will Smith plus one of the most gorgeous women in Hollywood and flock to theaters.

People saying this is going to bomb? PLEASE. After BvS destroys the BO, audiences will see this cool ass trailer with the Joker and Will Smith plus one of the most gorgeous women in Hollywood and flock to theaters.

Yup. There's gonna be plenty of buzz for this film after BvS, especially since it's not your traditional superhero movie and instead stars supervillains/anti heroes.

Jared probably avoiding the others to build his character. Like Heath did.

With how far he goes in his method acting, I half expect him to spend most of his time during shooting dressed up and in character as the Joker.

This just isn't true.

Until they got Spider-Man back, Marvel didn't even have a character as widely known and popular as The Joker that they could use for film.

Captain America and Iron Man are less popular than the Joker?

Finally a supervillain movie with a main black character. Can't wait. Not a fan of Will's recent movie choices but hopefully he gets this one right.

Fixed.

Probably said this about 3 times but if this film really nails it and people like the villains in the solo films, I want a Forever Evil type movie.

Loxley

We should have a way of keeping track of how quickly DCCU threads derail into MCU vs. DCCU pissing contests. This is impressive.

Anyway, I'm super excited for this - even the idea of a comic book movie that's all about the villains sounds cool.

bro1

Banned
This just isn't true.

Captain America, Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, X-Men, are all pretty big. They've either had their own cartoon or live action show. During the 60's many of these characters had cartoons too.

Captain America, Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, X-Men, are all pretty big. They've either had their own cartoon or live action show. During the 60's many of these characters had cartoons too.

You really don't remember what it was like pre-iron man, do you? Iron Man was a nobody outside of comics. His one claim to the mainstream was a TV show no one saw or cared about it the 90s. A ton of people thought it would fail.

Thor had a lot of the same issues, but I'll give you Hulk. Harley Quinn herself is more popular now than Iron man was when his movie came out.

KingK

I had no idea i was the same age as Margot Robbie. Honestly her and Jared Leto seem like perfect casting choices. The rest are alright but those two are amazing.

We should have a way of keeping track of how quickly DCCU threads derail into MCU vs. DCCU pissing contests. This is impressive.

Anyway, I'm super excited for this - even the idea of a comic book movie that's all about the villains sounds cool.
I don't understand why people can't just be excited for both movie universes. I'm going to see Avengers 2 opening weekend and do the same with BvS. Don't understand why someone would root for a movie from a genre they love to bomb.

bro1

Banned
You really don't remember what it was like pre-iron man, do you? Iron Man was a nobody outside of comics. His one claim to the mainstream was a TV show no one saw or cared about it the 90s. A ton of people thought it would fail.

Thor had a lot of the same issues, but I'll give you Hulk. Harley Quinn herself is more popular now than Iron man was when his movie came out.

I grew up in the 70s and 80s watching the old Iron Man and Thor cartoons.

Pavaloo

Word. It's crazy how often I talk to people and they just can't seem to remember Iron Man's popularity before 2008.

I was a huge fan of his growing up, but no one knew who my favorite superhero was. I remember getting pissed at casting rumors that Tom Cruise had turned down the road (lol). I was actually never going to see Iron Man when it came out. I had no idea Marvel was doing it themselves and thought Hollywood was about to ruin a childhood dream of mine. My friends literally dragged me to the theater and bought my ticket - was completely blown away.

but yeah, over-night star for sure, he was a complete b-tier guy (if not c-tier) back when. Then, everyone thought for sure Thor and Cap would fail.. and here we are today. None of them were headliners until the MCU revitalization.

IconGrist

I don't understand why people can't just be excited for both movie universes. I'm going to see Avengers 2 opening weekend and do the same with BvS. Don't understand why someone would root for a movie from a genre they love to bomb.

Because, in my experience, a good portion of the MCU lovers are not actually comic book lovers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom