• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Extended Cut |OT| I'm Just a Sucker for Pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw the theatrical cut at the cinema, and I thought it was OK for what it was. Now I saw the extended cut, I do think it is better in some ways. The movie itself is still flawed.

There is one thing that I picked up on while watching the Extended Cut. I honestly think there was a jettisoned Harley Quinn story arc that gets a little more touched up on here. If you notice, Harley gets her phone back with her gear early on in the movie. Her phone is also oddly charged and the battery works. Did Amanda Waller purposely give Harley her phone back fully charged without saying a word about it so Harley could contact the Joker?

Now that I think about it, the Joker was not locked up in a prison and even Batman couldn't capture him. The Joker used Harley as a fall girl so he could make an escape while she gets prison time. I guess he is suppose to be impossible to imprison in this universe.

So there seems to be remnants of a story line here that involves Harley being bait for the Joker (hence the phone). And it does play out that way as the Joker does track down Harley, and even is believed to be dead by Amanda and crew. But The Joker may have known that it was a trap and feigned his death. Maybe he used this opportunity to track down Harley?

I do believe that may have been the intention of Harley's inclusion in this movie. But it was later changed through editing, or downplayed. But this seems like a secondary objective in the movie, outside of the whole Enchantress thing.

But maybe I am just reading too much into that.

all i could think of during and after this movie was all the headlines about Jared Leto pulling all this crazy shit to "fit into" the Joker role only for it to be a less than mediocre affair.

it cracks me up actually 😂

Harmen

I saw the extended cut yesterday, some thoughts:

-Worst editing I have ever seen in a blockbuster film, like seriously.
-Worst use of licensed music I have ever seen in a blockbuster, almost consistently so.
-Worst rendition of the Joker.
-Pacing is all over the place, especially during the first half hour or so
-Low quality CGI seemingly straight out of 2005-2010, the brother and the ending battle, man...
-Many character decisions don't make sense (why does Cap Boomerang even come back?).
-Killer Croc is absolutely terrible.
-Ending fight is really bad and makes no sense.
-Batman scenes sucked. No cool action, no cool Battalk, he was just there in some minor scenes.

+/- Action is average.
+/- Character chemistry is somewhat o.k. in most cases

+The concept of the film itself is great, it's succes likely means a sequel.
+Will Smith is Will Smith but I like him.
+Jay Courtney actually has some charisma here.
+Margot also acted well, I like her Harley, writers kept her back though.

Overall I think the film is really bad, but there are some things that kept me interested throughout. This film has so much more potential than what we ultimately got. Can't believe the guy from Training Day, Fury, and End of Watch made this. I prefer BvS (tc), as that at least had some cool Batman scenes.

I am also actively worried about this Joker, since DCEU now has to stick with this guy and it may potentially be adverse for the Batman film (the "redemption" film). I love Leto as an actor and have respect for his talent as a musician, so that pains me. And is it me or does he sound like a Nixon impression at times? In regards to the editing: What the hell?! Expecially the Harley elevator scene was just... what?...huh... And in regards to the music, I don't even mind it being overly used/popular songs that much, it is how bad everything on the screen aligns with the music, it almost always feels off. Ending fight had plenty of bad CGI and was totally unconvincing in that some humans without powers and some explosives managed to save the day in the end. The threat simply did not align well with the squad and it wasn't presented in a believable manner at all in my opinion.

scoobs

I saw the extended cut yesterday, some thoughts:

-Worst editing I have ever seen in a blockbuster film, like seriously.
-Worst use of licensed music I have ever seen in a blockbuster, almost consistently so.
-Worst rendition of the Joker.
-Pacing is all over the place, especially during the first half hour or so
-Low quality CGI seemingly straight out of 2005-2010, the brother and the ending battle, man...
-Many character decisions don't make sense (why does Cap Boomerang even come back?).
-Killer Croc is absolutely terrible.
-Ending fight is really bad and makes no sense.

+/- Action is average.
+/- Character chemistry is somewhat o.k. in most cases

+The concept of the film itself is great, it's succes likely means a sequel.
+Will Smith is Will Smith but I like him.
+Jay Courtney actually has some charisma here.
+Margot also acted well, I like her Harley, writers kept her back though.

Overall I think the film is really bad, but there are some things that kept me interested throughout. This film has so much more potential than what we ultimately got. Can't believe the guy from Training Day, Fury, and End of Watch made this. I prefer BvS (tc), as that at least had some cool Batman scenes.

I am also actively worried about this Joker, since DCEU now has to stick with this guy and it may potentially be adverse for the Batman film (the "redemption" film). I love Leto as an actor and have respect for his talent as a musician, so that pains me. And is it me or does he sound like a Nixon impression at times? In regards to the editing: What the hell?! Expecially the Harley elevator scene was just... what?...huh... And in regards to the music, I don't even mind it being overly used/popular songs that much, it is how bad everything on the screen aligns with the music, it almost always feels off. Ending fight had plenty of bad CGI and was totally unconvincing in that some humans without powers and some explosives managed to save the day in the end. The threat simply did not align well with the squad and it wasn't presented in a believable manner at all in my opinion.

While I'm not as down on this Joker as you are, i don't think they "have to stick with him." The stand-alone Batman film isn't even going to have Joker in it as far as we know based on the leaked test footage (
Deathstroke main villain?
). There might be enough time between Suicide Squad and whatever Batman sequel inevitably uses the Joker as a villain that they just cast an entirely new incarnation.

Harmen

While I'm not as down on this Joker as you are, i don't think they "have to stick with him." The stand-alone Batman film isn't even going to have Joker in it as far as we know based on the leaked test footage (
Deathstroke main villain?
). There might be enough time between Suicide Squad and whatever Batman sequel inevitably uses the Joker as a villain that they just cast an entirely new incarnation.

Ah, didn't know, well that gives me hope.
Deathstroke
vs Battfleck could be awesome.

And as I said, I do think Leto is a great actor, so maybe he can alter his performance in a way that the overall consensus between viewers is less polarizing than it is now. I do appreciate they didn't go for a Ledger imitation or the more "normal" classic Joker, but I thought it was done badly, unfortunately.

Puddin puddin puddin puddin puddin MISTER J! Puddin

Puddin

- Margot Robbie's script

Somewhat true, but I thought her casting was great. Margot definitely has the emotional range and looks to pull of a fantastic Harley in my opinion. But yeah, a lot of her script wasn't really up to par I think.

Sojgat

Got bored. Watched it.

Holy fuck, Leto's Joker is terrible. No wonder they cut all his shit. All he does is alternate between various Jim Carrey and Johnny Depp impressions. It's one of the most embarrassing performances I've ever seen. I was a fool for thinking the theatrical cut's editing might have butchered good work.

Harley was noticeably improved. Less sanitized than in the theatrical cut, and more like a clown stripper version of Hannibal Lecter. Constantly fucking with everybody. I actually like Robbie's version now.

The rest was about the same. I am never watching this movie again.

It's mind boggling how this movie held up in the box office. That hot topic crowd was in full force.

I question anyone's taste that thought this was even decent.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
I watched it a couple of days ago with my girlfriend, and I think it's one of the worst movies I have ever seen.
I couldn't imagine it would be so bad.

Apt101

Checked it out. They nailed Amanda Waller. Perfect actress for the part, perfect writing. Second thought: Leto let us all down as Joker. That was bad. Clara as Enchantress wasn't nearly as bad as the critics suggested, but she wasn't great either.

Assorted thoughts: Flagg was cool, Deadshot was cooler. Robbie nailed Harley in a way I don't remember an actor capturing an idea like this before. She really went above and beyond. El Diablo was another David Ayer Mexican character and was quite enjoyable.

Batman segments were cool. Overall I think the narrative could have been tighter. This thing made gang busters so I am guessing there will be a sequel and I hope it includes John Constantine.

cacildo

I really dont get why people hate these dc movies so much

It was pretty fine. Nothing spetacular, but the characters were very nice

Suicide Squad is up there Green Lantern and Fan4stic as one of the worst modern day comicbook movies.

The 3rd act of Suicide Squad is Fan4stic levels of bad. Enchatress and her stupid brother might be worse villians than Dr. Doom from Fan4stic.

Think about that shit.

jelly

It's absolutely terrible and boring.

I don't want to see Leto joker ever again, don't care if Leto is a good actor, I can not watch another second of his interpretation. The music was god awful, the dialogue is embarrassing and video game level of bad and worse, at the end, her heart is out etc. yes we know ffs! I don't think any characters came out well except Waller, even Harley was mostly awful, just too random and forced.

The only thing I liked was the visuals of Enchantress in her original form. The dialogue, plot and pacing just brought the whole film down. Is it worse than BvS, possibly but they are both awful. Batfleck had a poor showing, shoehorned in is being kind, not his fault but I still don't rate his Batman.

I don't believe anyone that thinks the editing in the movie was bad. came to that conclusion on their own

I am a video editor. This movie is has some of the worst editing I've seen in a major studio production - there is no concrete sense of time over which these events take place, the geography of the action sequences are sloppy at best, the licensed music seemed haphazardly layered over the top of the film without being properly integrated, plus a lot more stuff, both creative and technical.

(The above is based on the theatrical cut, because I'm not going to subject myself to sitting through this film again just I can say the extended version is shitty too)

IconGrist

I am a video editor. This movie is has some of the worst editing I've seen in a major studio production - there is no concrete sense of time over which these events take place, the geography of the action sequences are sloppy at best, the licensed music seemed haphazardly layered over the top of the film without being properly integrated, plus a lot more stuff, both creative and technical.

(The above is based on the theatrical cut, because I'm not going to subject myself to sitting through this film again just I can say the extended version is shitty too)

Yea, no need. I'm not a video editor or anything but I can tell you the added scenes felt no different.

Rolodzeo

Watched it (EC) with my gf and we were bored to death halfway through. Terrible movie, really bad pacing, generic villain (and henchmen) and way, way too many characters.

I kinda liked Leto's Joker though, and Harley Quinn wasn't bad either, but I felt the rest of the cast was really dull and poor written.

Worst DCEU movie so far imho.

Really feel like this movie could have benefited from waiting a bit. Maybe some Avengers style thing like introducing 2-4 characters in the hero flicks over several movies, THEN bringing them together. Too many characters that got left in the dust by the others, quick 15second - 3 minute backstory flashbacks don't help us feel involved with the cast.

People really made you wonder why characters other than Harley, Deadshot, and Flagg were even there if they got so little attention through this films run time.

Also hated the scenario they are in. After confirming Batman, Flash, Wonder Woman, and what we can assume are several other heroes being active, where the heck were they?! This was some justice league level shit not Suicide Squad who is usually in the background of major nonsense like this doing who knows what.

Have them in their more classic heists like breaking into the batcave, Arkham, the watchtower, Al Ghuls compound, something more interesting than this. Oh well...

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I don't believe anyone that thinks the editing in the movie was bad. came to that conclusion on their own

The first arc is a complete and utter mess when it comes to editing, nothing feels like it flows together, it felt more like they randomly threw all of it together.

It gets better later on but it's a problem all throughout it. It's one of the most obvious issues the movie has.

*SCREAMS*

Czlh1fSXcAA7eCQ.jpg

Czlh58hXEAEJxXU.jpg

Czlh9LzWIAAq8XE.jpg

CzliGcJXAAAC_YC.jpg

EXCITED TIMES 1000000000000000000000%

I was gonna rent this movie, but the uncut version is only for sale.

Is the theatrical and uncut that much of a difference? or should I just rent the theatrical version?

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often, it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends.

When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know, none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that
Suicide Squad was garbage.

Penguin

I was gonna rent this movie, but the uncut version is only for sale.

Is the theatrical and uncut that much of a difference? or should I just rent the theatrical version?

Really not that much of a diff

And only like 10 mins longer might as well see uncut. It is a better movie, that doesn't mean much

Finally saw this tonight... It's fucking terrible. I had low expectations but MY GOD was this bad.

It's got to be the worst comic book film I've ever seen.

What brand is that bottom left Harley doll?
This one?
41la-hwLnlL._SY355_.jpg

Funko Pop Dorbz figure!

I didn't seek out to get them but I've kept picking up new figures as time progressed, and here I am now oops. Some of my coworkers
and my girlfriend
call me Harley now because I'm in too deep oops

Also I just watched the Extended Cut to celebrate finishing finals and OH MY GOD I FELL IN LOVE ALL OVER AGAIN FOR THE FIRST TIME AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The scenes they added were AMAZING, with by far my favorite one being the motorcycle one which legitimately is just freaking incredible. I'm so so so happy ;;

Really feel like this movie could have benefited from waiting a bit. Maybe some Avengers style thing like introducing 2-4 characters in the hero flicks over several movies, THEN bringing them together. Too many characters that got left in the dust by the others, quick 15second - 3 minute backstory flashbacks don't help us feel involved with the cast.

People really made you wonder why characters other than Harley, Deadshot, and Flagg were even there if they got so little attention through this films run time.

Also hated the scenario they are in. After confirming Batman, Flash, Wonder Woman, and what we can assume are several other heroes being active, where the heck were they?! This was some justice league level shit not Suicide Squad who is usually in the background of major nonsense like this doing who knows what.

Have them in their more classic heists like breaking into the batcave, Arkham, the watchtower, Al Ghuls compound, something more interesting than this. Oh well...

This is just something you have to deal with in a shared universe. Logically, Superman or Wonder Woman would just fly into Gotham whenever Batman encountered one of his villains, dispatch him, and go about to bigger things. You just have to accept that, logically, you either accept it or explain it way with some head canon.

Onaco

My girlfriend thought it was a Director's Cut that was the version of the film intended before WB execs kicked out the director from the editing process. She was sad to find out it was just adding scenes that were unfinished or served nothing to the plot but just wasted time. The extra Harley scenes weren't worth watching it again. We stopped after the bar scene. We had enough after already seeing it in theaters.

Pretty late but whatever.

I really like MoS and the extended cut of BvS. This, i did not like at all. Before seeing it, I thought the "music video", editing mess, all over the place etc were just exaggerations. Like, can it really be true?.... Yes, it really was all true. What was this movie. The only positives were Harley and Deadshot for me, maybe Waller too. The rest can go in the trash. What was that finale? Battle in rain and fog. Couldn´t see shit. Did Diablo die? I forgot, guess he´s in there already.

Shaanyboi

Banned
It's nowhere near Catwoman bad, get out of here with that nonsense.

This movie is fucking embarrassing. It slightly finds something resembling a rhythm in the second act, but even that is at best pretty mediocre. And then the third act tosses it all to the wind.

It's a first draft script with nonsensical motivations, awful dialogue, obnoxious editing, shockingly underwhelming action, and crappy characters. And to be clear, I don't mean "Man, Captain Boomerang? What a lame character." I mean these characters are just so poorly thought through, their dynamics are sorely under-developed, and the fact that it actually made Batman showing up kind of embarrassing is quite a feat. And every attempt it makes at earnestness is so bizarrely out of place and shoddily done. "I ALREADY LET ONE FAMILY DIE, I'M NOT LOSING ANOTHER ONE!" Give me a fucking break...

Sloppily made and a complete waste of its potential.

Cappa

Banned
Watched this film last week for the first time while I was coming back on an international flight.... and regretted it completely.

My girlfriend thought it was a Director's Cut that was the version of the film intended before WB execs kicked out the director from the editing process. She was sad to find out it was just adding scenes that were unfinished or served nothing to the plot but just wasted time. The extra Harley scenes weren't worth watching it again. We stopped after the bar scene. We had enough after already seeing it in theaters.

I doubt the original cut and footage will ever make it out because of how incongruous it is with what is canonical in the shared universe. Say, Katana getting possessed by Enchantress and fighting the team, or all the ways Joker physically abuses Harley. That's a big shame about these shared universes. What's in theaters is what's carried forward.

The Hobo

I rented the theatrical version a couple of weeks ago with the intent of watching the Extended Edition at a later point. But to be honest, watching this movie once was enough for me. I doubt an extra ten minutes of footage will improve the film in any way.

I recall people who had attended a preview screening saying that the released film was cut differently (and worse). It's a pity we'll never get to see the original cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom