• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT2| Portugal eurowns France + Moths to become champions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well done Portugal. Despite what people may say about Ronaldo or the teams style of play etc. etc. I think it's hard not to feel happy for a nation winning it's first major trophy, especially in a final against a team that has had some (relatively) recent success.

Sod the naysayers, enjoy it.

As a Welshman, I'm kinda sad the tournament is over. This was probably the best sporting summer the country has ever had. What a ride.

93gpuHL.gif

Party like it's 2004, Justiça

Turns out some things in life are better than football...

Holy shit! Where is that? (didn't watch everything xD)

Toronto. More specifically, St. Clair Avenue in Toronto. Huge Portuguese (and Italian) neighbourhood along that street. If I followed the direction the cars were going, there would have been even more people.

Treated my parents to dinner yesterday, but had I not, I would have definitely followed the cars and did some partying, LOL

Holy shit...still cannot believe it.

It feels sooooo good. Before every single match in the knock out stages people were telling me that Portugal will get destroyed...

This Euro's biggest personal surprise was Nani. He redeemed himself.

@Everybody else:
Do the France Dance!

YX6ZTJ2.gif

Congratulations to Portugal from Greece.

Here almost every Greek is really happy about Portugal winning the cup.

They know that they deserved at least one cup since 2004 and they also love Fernando Santos because he helped a lot the National team (almost took us to the 8 best teams in the world having only mediocre players)

Parabéns Portugal :)

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
apparently Jose Fonte was stopped at the airport. When asked to empty his pockets they found keys, a winners medal and Antoine Griezmann

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Griezmann bash seems unnecessary (I know its all in good fun), he had some good chances, Patricio was just in god mode last night (and throughout the tournament, which as a Benfica fan, I have zero issues admiting, the dude was am absolute monster)

speaking of Griezmann he won player of the tournament apparently

Tugatrix

Griezmann bash seems unnecessary (I know its all in good fun), he had some good chances, Patricio was just in god mode last night (and throughout the tournament, which as a Benfica fan, I have zero issues admiting, the dude was am absolute monster)

speaking of Griezmann he won player of the tournament apparently

Another prize for Portugal...if you know what I mean

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

They know that they deserved at least one cup since 2004 and they also love Fernando Santos because he helped a lot the National team (almost took us to the 8 best teams in the world having only mediocre players)

did you see him leave a message for the Greek people (in Greek!) at the end of the press conference?

Rhaknar

Not before your reply but now I googled it

Man I almost cried.Thank you for everything Fernando ^^

he's been mentioning Greek support throughout the whole torunament in fact, his passage there on both national and club wise must have really left a mark on him (and vice versa because I saw a lot of tweets from Greek players, Mitroglou who plays for Benfica for example).

also, how's his Greek anyway? lol :D

he's been mentioning Greek support throughout the whole torunament in fact, his passage there on both national and club wise must have really left a mark on him (and vice versa because I saw a lot of tweets from Greek players, Mitroglou who plays for Benfica for example).

also, how's his Greek anyway? lol :D

Haha as far as I remember Santos always had a translator with him, all those years that he was in Greece.Now for this particular line I think his Greek were pretty solid.The pronunciation was a little bit off at the end but it's understandable. In my mind it's like how every Portuguese would sound in Greek :p.

Berto

You know, this win in a way sort of closes all the open wounds of that 2004 final. Those wounds were deep and linked to a wierd dramatic fatefull portuguesese mentality that is part of our consciousness for centuries. Most of us felt 2004 unfair, but, to be honest it was a deserved Greek win and feels great to finally admit that loudly.

Rhaknar

You know, this win in a way sort of closes all the open wounds of that 2004 final. Those wounds were deep and linked to a wierd dramatic fatefull portuguesese mentality that is part of our consciousness for centuries. Most of us felt 2004 unfair, but, to be honest it was a deserved Greek win and feels great to finally admit that loudly.

like admiting that the Abel Xavier penalty was blatant years after the fact? :)

I remember we all crying it was a robbery back then lol ;_;

Mac_Lane

Completely heartbroken by yesterday's result :( Gignac hitting the post at the last minute of stoppage time...

It's gonna take a long time to get over this. Not as traumatic as the 2006 final, but still hurts immensely.

Courage

Legendary Fernando Santos. The electrical engineer with a pragmatic and humble attitude that went ahead to conquer Europe. He honestly deserves it. I'd love to see him come back to Greece/AEK to close his career but our incompetent football federation might have ruined any chance of that happening with the way they made him leave.

ZenTzen

Legendary Fernando Santos. The electrical engineer with a pragmatic and humble attitude that went ahead to conquer Europe. He honestly deserves it. I'd love to see him come back to Greece/AEK to close his career but our incompetent football federation might have ruined any chance of that happening with the way they made him leave.

his promise of only coming back to portugal on the 11th really did come true, it was only up in the air if it was going to be a joyful return or a sad one

jts

...hate me...
He still loves Greece for all he has said after the game :)

This really is a full circle. Now Portugal and Greece are not only brothers in poverty, but also in football.

Courage

He still loves Greece for all he has said after the game :)

This really is a full circle. Now Portugal and Greece are not only brothers in poverty, but also in football.

A lot of similarities between Portugal in this tournament and Greece in the one of 2004

- Both barely making it out of the group stage
- Both tactically disciplined with an emphasis on defense
- Both beat the host countries in the final
- Both taking advantage of new UEFA rules to get them through (our silver goal vs. Czech Republic, your third place in the group stage)
- Both with unlikely striker heroes at the end (Eder and Charisteas)

With Santos linking us both. Really happy for you guys.

Tugatrix

A lot of similarities between Portugal in this tournament and Greece in the one of 2004

- Both barely making it out of the group stage
- Both tactically disciplined with an emphasis on defense
- Both beat the host countries in the final
- Both taking advantage of new UEFA rules to get them through (our silver goal vs. Czech Republic, your third place in the group stage)
- Both with unlikely striker heroes at the end (Eder and Charisteas)

With Santos linking us both. Really happy for you guys.

I beg to differ, Portugal was dominant in almost every match, we just didn't had a good striker to score

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I still don't get how Chile can be below both Argentina and Colombia.
The Rankings take a four year period into account. Colombia and Argentina made it farther in the World Cup and had a better record in qualifying back then. Chile should slowly overtake them as points get out of rotation.

Also, friendlies.

Courage

I beg to differ, Portugal was dominant in almost every match, we just didn't had a good striker to score

You guys were mostly dominant in the group stage games and Wales, but barring the game with Hungary, it seemed Santos favored defensive functionality over everything else, since he knew goals weren't going to come easy. It's why Pepe was MVP for the final and, personally, the tournament and it's why you were able to beat France without Ronaldo.

SkylineRKR

Portugal worked their socks off, they had a good goalie and sound defense. And yeah, they were lucky. But without luck you're not going to win silverware.

As a Dutchman I'm not too fond of the Portuguese squad, as our past clashes weren't pretty (and we never beat them, lol). But they had an empty prize closet and they deserve silverware based what they brought forth (legendary players such as Eusebio, Figo and Ronaldo). Its a remarkable feat for a country with only 12 million people. Don't forget this stage is mostly dominated by Germany, France and Spain.

As for the tournament in its entirety, it was shit. But not only because of Portugal. France didn't show up in a lot of games (esp. the Final) despite being the hosts and having lots of gifted players. Italy did well, Germany had a few good games, Croatia played decent in the group stage and that was about it. Football is all about reaction today and its shit.

jts

...hate me...
You have a point but for us Croatia and France were the 2 key games in this tourney, and in those we did boast a rock-solid defense as a main means to win those games.

In the rest of them, well there were small mistakes leading to a goal from Iceland and Poland, and that freak game against Hungary (with ole' Carvalho playing IIRC).

But for most of the time this tourney, it felt like Portugal couldn't lose a game due to that defense. Which came true.

Addi

Completely heartbroken by yesterday's result :( Gignac hitting the post at the last minute of stoppage time...

It's gonna take a long time to get over this. Not as traumatic as the 2006 final, but still hurts immensely.

The margins were not on our side :( I comfort myself by thinking that we finally have a team we can love again, so may young talents and a great atmosphere. 2006 was definitely the worst, especially since we lost Zidane after that. I felt complete hopelessness at that time, I couldn't see how we could move on, especially with the abysmal 2008 and 2010 following right after.

This time I feel hope. we are going to be competitive for many competitions to come and already among the favourites for the next world cup. Pogba, Griezmann, Coman, Martial, Varane, Umtiti etc. will have two more years of experience. Also, we won't be playing fucking friendlies for two years. I'm proud of what we did, no ugliness, no scandals etc.

SkylineRKR

The margins were not on our side :( I comfort myself by thinking that we finally have a team we can love again, so may young talents and a great atmosphere. 2006 was definitely the worst, especially since we lost Zidane after that. I felt complete hopelessness at that time, I couldn't see how we could move on, especially with the abysmal 2008 and 2010 following right after.

This time I feel hope. we are going to be competitive for many competitions to come and already among the favourites for the next world cup. Pogba, Griezmann, Coman, Martial, Varane, Umtiti etc. will have two more years of experience. Also, we won't be playing fucking friendlies for two years. I'm proud of what we did, no ugliness, no scandals etc.

Even I liked this French squad. And I loathed them during 2008-2012. They were a disgrace. I bet on them as champions for Euro 2016. And I found them to be second best in 2014, they just met Germany a bit too early (didn't get hammered like Brazil though).

I became a fan of Griezmann, Payet and Sissoko. Gutted Griezmann didn't grab silverware this year. He looks like Sneijders brother btw, lol. But its a likeable squad I think.

petran79

Banned
I wonder why they said Portugal's elimination road was easier.
Croatia beat Spain 2-1 and was considered the most promising team at that point, while Poland got a draw against Germany, playing them on equal terms.

Portugeuse players while lacking in quality, were far more experienced and calm than the French.
you dont see many teams where both a 38 year old and a 19 year old play together

2004 Greek team had some competent players, reaching the finals in U21 Euro championships. Some were a few inches away from reaching Champions League semifinals in 2002 (Panathinaikos-Barcelona 1-0, 1-3). Same with Olympiakos in 1999 against Juventus (1-2, 1-1 with Juve equalising the last minutes). Also AEK in 2002 played against CL champions Real Madrid, scoring draws (3-3 home, 2-2 away).
PAOK also had a stable presence in the top 32 of the UEFA cup.

But 8 years later the squad quality was indeed much worse, with the only good players being the remaining ones from the 2004 squad. It is a wonder they reached top-8

in 2012 and 2014 player quality had degenerated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom